Other Coffee Makers:

Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker

Pros

Cons

• Brew Performance:

Worked great...for a couple of years!

I loved this coffe maker however...after 1.5 years the motor went in the grinder. Generally speaking stores do not take them back if you want a replacement, must go thru manufacturer. That was fine, i dealt with already ground coffee until 1.5 years later when the resevoir started leaking all over my counter top...

All in all, my fault, should have dealt with Cuisinart from the start. Great machine though.

The Grind & brew makes good coffee, but lacks reliability.

You can either grind your own coffee or use already ground.  It can be programmed to automatically brew coffee the next morning.  It's simple to use, and easy to clean.  It has a water filter, but finding a replacement filter is difficult if not impossible.  We use filtered water from the refrigerator, so I've never replaced the water filter.

It can use paper filters, but you can purchase a metal filter basket separately.  In the long run, the permanent filter seems better than having to worry if you're out of paper filters.

This is the second Grind and brew coffee maker I've purchased.  The first one began leaking water about a month after the 2 year warranty expired.  I've only had this one about a year and a half, so I hope this one lasts longer.

Some things to watch out for:  If you forget to put the cover on the basket holder after cleaning and then grind coffee, the grounds are thrown all over the kitchen.

You can remove the carafe and pour a cup while it's brewing.  If you take too long, then the coffee basket overflows, there's nothing to prevent it.  This is a real problem if you've set the automatic brew for the next morning and forget to put the carafe in :-(

It Was A Grind To Find A Good Brewer

from WATERSMEET, MI., 49969

About Me Everyday Drinker

Pros

• Aroma
  • Brews Quickly
  • Durable
  • Easy To Clean
  • Easy To Use
  • Large Pot
  • Multiple Settings
  • Stylish

Cons

• Everyday
    • Guests
    • Home

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

My husband and I researched different grinder/brewer coffee stations. My husband was dead set on a Cuisinart.
    We shopped, shopped, and shopped. I think it was the price that made him hold off. Then one day we walked into our local hardware store. There was a sign that read 50% off all Cuisinart small appliances. He was able to purchase this model for 50% off. Such A Deal! He loves this machine!

The "look no further" all satisfying coffee maker

from Cumberland, RI

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

We bought the model with the thermal carafe. We love it. We drink coffee every day, and at 6 years running, this very mechanical machine (grind & brew) has never broken, and continues to work like new. You can elect to turn the grind OFF and use regular ground coffee in the basket at any time if you wish.

Brew Performance
    There's nothing like freshly ground coffee beans for your coffee. The entire house smells great with every brew. There's a brew intensity dial (mild, med, strong). You can set the timer to brew at a certain time and wake you up in the morning. It's quieter than most coffee makers too.

If there's one drawback with this coffee maker, it's the fact that you have to clean not just the water path with vinegar every other month, like every coffee maker, but you need to clean the coffee grinding mechanism about every 1-2 months depending on how much you grind. You need to pop the plastic holding bin off, then get in there with some small pointy object (I use a lobster digging tool to break off the hardened buildup of old coffee grounds that stuck to the sides and didn't make it into the brew basket. While I am not sure the manual says to do this, I just took it apart one day after several months of using it, and found a LOT of buildup, and figured that must be hindering the amount of grounds that can get through for my STRONG cup setting, and have been cleaning it faithfully ever since. The thermal carafe does get really dark brown and may affect flavor, so you'll need either a mate with a small hand to clean inside, or you'll have to buy a scrub brush on a stick and clean that when needed also.

toss in some beans, add water, put a filter in, and press the button - same as other machines. Convenient buttons to turn the grind OFF to use regular ground coffee, as well as a programmable timer to brew coffee later or the next morning. controls are easy to use, display is easy to read, and shows the time of day when not in use.

I like picking apart the designs of things I use, finding the obvious points where they should have made this part stronger, or that part differently. But with this coffee maker I can't see any areas that could be improved, save maybe if they put a self cleaning cycle in it.

We've had it 6 years. It did fail at one point to grind - the motor didn't spin. I removed the top plastic bean bin (no tools needed, just turn the dial inside the bin) and found there was so much buildup around the motor blade that it ceased. All it took was to dig out the hardened coffee grounds with a small sharp pointer tool, and manually move the motor blade a little to free it up, and it was good as new again. For this reason I now regularly clean the buildup every couple months, rather than wait for it to cease again. Still works like brand new after 6 years.

• Brew Performance:

You really can taste the difference.

from Troy NY

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

For years my husband has been pestering me to get a coffee maker that grinds the beans before brewing the coffee. I was of the opinion that there wasn't that much of a difference between fresh ground coffee and the pre-ground coffee that you can buy at the grocery store. BOY was I wrong, fresh ground coffee is to pre-ground coffee as top-shelf liquor is to well liquor.

The downside, is that's it's significantly more effort to make coffee with the Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker than it is with our single cup Keurig coffee maker. So we really only use the Cuisinart Grind & Brew on the weekends, because there's just not enough time to make a whole pot and get out the door before work on workdays.

The other downside is the clean up... it takes awhile, and is not exactly the easiest procedure on the face of the earth. Another reason why we only have the nice coffee on the weekends.

All in all, a WONDERFUL coffee maker if you have the extra time for prep and clean up!

Love it!

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

My husband bought this coffee pot/grinder for me for Christmas three years ago. I love this coffee pot/grinder. Even though I've had it for three years, it works just as good today as it did when I got it.

Brew Performance
    The amount of coffee beans that are ground are perfect. There are times when I buy a stronger bean and at those times I simply turn the dial to grind less or have it on Mild rather than Medium or Strong.

The only downside to this coffee pot is that you have to clean out the grinder frequently, usually every other month. Otherwise, you will wake up in the morning to hot water. You have to remove the beans and clean out the grinder completely. This is quite a pain. I wish there was a way to know before waking up to water that it is at the point that it needs to be cleaned.

Simple to use - put in the water, set the dial for the number of cups and the strength to Mild, Medium or Strong. press brew On to start right away or Program to have it start at a desired time (you do need to program the time you want it to start).

The Stainless Steel is great. It stays nice. The coffee also stays warm for hours!

Great Coffee Maker Could Live It Forever

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

The Cuisinart® Grind & Brew Thermal TM 10-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker Model DGB-650BC is a great coffee maker. The carafe is pretty good and keeps the coffee warm - not hot like you would think it should. It is a good coffee maker if you like heating your coffee up later in the microwave.But I don't do that I have a stainless steel coffee carafe that I put my coffee in and it stays hot all day long. It's nice that it has a timer, a 1-4 cup brewing setting and the gold reusable filter.

Brew Performance
    The Cuisinart Grind & Brew Thermal 10-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker is an excellent coffee maker and caters to coffee experts and casual drinkers alike.

There is no better coffee than that which has been freshly ground just before making. it is the smell of the fresh ground beans. You can save money by buying quality coffee beans in bulk.

I really don't mind the cleaning of the grounds basket and inside where the water pushes it through to the pot. Because it has to be dried thoroughly every time you use it.

It is so easy to use, you have the clock the programmable coffee for in the morning. You can set it to mild, or bold. It can be anywhere from 1-10 cups or a separate setting for 1-4 cups which I find a terrific addition to the regular coffee maker.

I love the look of the coffee maker, it goes so well with my kitchen. The black and silver is wonderful. It is a design that I really love

This has the stainless steel pot so it should last for a long time. I have had mine for 6 months and it still works . It is such a great coffee maker.

• Brew Performance:

Very good, but wish I didn't have to clean the grinder so often

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

I love the fact this is literally a step closer to really fresh coffee. However, I find the fact that the grind gets cluttered and stuck in the chutes an irritating aspect, and needs to be done way too often. The brush it comes with doesn't exactly help much, because the chute is very narrow. And if you don't stay on top of the cleaning, you are definitely going to notice a difference in your brews. But, oh its a fact I have lived with for over 2 years now so its very routine now. So is this thing durable? A resounding yes, as I have been doing consistent daily grinding and brews with this coffee maker for well over 2 years. So with that said, an excellent purchase and I love the fact that I am grinding fresh beans for every new cup of coffee.

Trying to brush out the grinds is awkward and annoying in the frequency needed.

Very intuitive and very easy to use!

Have had brewing and grinding now for over two years!

• Brew Performance:

By far my favorite coffee maker!

from Saegertown, PA

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

I have been looking for a reliable coffee maker for years that didn't cost me a fortune. This is it! I have owned my coffee maker for 1 1/2 years and I have never had a problem with it. The grind and brew feature is a great way to get a fresh cup of coffee quickly. Although the grinder is a bit loud. I also use the regular brew method with ground coffee quite often. There are 2 selections 4 cup or 12 cup. It is easy to clean and easy to pour. I highly recommend this coffee maker to anyone that relies on a good cup of coffee in the morning.

Brew Performance
    I rarely if ever find grounds in my coffee.

It is easy to clean, but has a few extra parts due the grinding option.

Very easy to use.

Love the design and compliments my kitchen décor nicely.

I will have owned my coffee maker 2 years come October and I have never had a problem with it. There is a small filter that you need to change regularly, but it is fairly inexpensive and easy to find.

• Brew Performance:

Good coffee maker. Saves time.

from Broken Arrow, OK

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

My husband and I have now owned 2 of these coffee makers. The first we had for 2 years and it worked flawlessly, then one day, out the blue it started smoking. No idea why. We unplugged it and called customer service. Really just to tell them about it, because being 2 years old, it was out of warranty. They were amazing. Really amazing. They sent us out a new one, free of charge and paid for us to ship ours back to them so they could research the cause of the smoke. (I never heard the results of the inquiry) Our new one is the same as the old one. Works wonderfully. Love that I don't have to grind the coffee elsewhere and then transfer it to the coffee machine. The only complaint I have, and its minor, is that every few months you have to really, really clean it. I mean all of it, inside and out or our coffee starts tasting bitter. Like I said. It is a minor complaint. Over all we love our coffee maker!

Brew Performance
    Only complaint is coffee gets bitter if not thoroughly cleaned every month or so.

Getting in all the nooks and crannies can get tedious sometimes.

Very easy to use. Just poor in the water, select the brew and go!

Love the design. Beautifully done.

Used sometimes 3 times a day for 2+ years, never had a problem!

• Brew Performance:

The perfect coffee maker.

from Rochelle Park, NJ

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

Finally, a coffee maker that does everything i want it to! It grinds the beans fresh, and brews the coffee. It stays the perfect temperature too. Water filer inside makes for a smooth cup of coffee.

Brew Performance
    Brews quickly. Some machines take forever, but not this one.

Very easy to clean, however, if you grind your own beans, you have an extra step to clean. Very easy though.

I figured it out 1-2-3.

No complaints.

So far, so good. I've had it about two years, use multiple times per day, and have no problems.

• Brew Performance:

cuisinart grind and brew- I've had better

from Pineville, NC

Comments about Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup Coffee Maker:

I have the thermal carafe and to get the lid off I have to put it on the floor and press down while turning, using my whole body weight on it. It uses way more beans that I feel it should, and I think the coffee flavor is off. As far as operation- it works like it should providing you clean out the hopper where the ground beans can harden... and you don't mind the coffee all over the counter when it has a "moment". I have had mine for 2 years after having a Capresso grind and brew for about 10 years. The ONLY reason I bought the Cuisinart was because it was the only grind and brew I could find in the stores. My next coffee maker will be either another Capresso or Krups. Overall, it isn't a bad machine, just not what I had hoped to have in a pricey machine.

Brew Performance
    The overall taste of the coffee is flat. Maybe the grind of the bean is too coarse.

The cleaning is easy with the exception of the thermal carafe... the opening is narrow.

Once you learn the quirks to it you might be happy with it.

I have no complaints on the design.

So far so good. I haven't had to replace any parts as of yet.