4.1

Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker

4.1

Pros

Cons

The Cuisinart 4-Cup Rice Cooker is the only one for me!

I have had owned many rice cookers in my life and never been happy with any of them.  They were always a pain to store, use and clean.

However, this...Read complete review

However, this little rice cooker from Cuisnart is perfect for a small family like mine!

Although this is a smaller version of the 8-cup cooker, it doesn't impact the functionality of the unit at all. This small cooker doesn't take up a lot of room on my counter top. It's lovely brushed stainless-steel exterior, square shape with rounded corners, chrome-plated handles, and glass lid (with a stainless rim, chrome knob, and steam vent hole) match my other stainless steel applicances. It's cute and stylish and looks quite at home in my small kicthen.

Included with this rice cooker is a stainless-steel steaming basket and a nonstick cooking bowl that produces 4 to 7 cups of rice. The cooker also steams vegetables and thin cuts of meat, creating a complete, fat-free meal with little effort.

I've also used this rice cooker for making brown rice, couscous, polenta, oatmeal and boiled eggs. It comes with a booklet offering a few gourmet recipes for such delicious sounding entrees as Creamy Parmesan Risotto with Asparagus, and Teriyaki Steamed Chicken with Cranberry Wild Rice.  (I've tried both and my family loved them!  They've become favorites -- especially during the fall and winter months.)

Another plus for me is that Cuisinart designed this rice cooker with a cord that pulls out and then retracts for storage.  Gotta love that!

The operation of this unit is easy, peasy!  One little lever is all that's required to flip the machine on. Two different colored LED lights illuminate, one during the cooking phase, and the other when the machine automatically switches to warm when cooking is done.  Voila!

It also comes with a a textured plastic paddle for stirring and serving, and a plastic measuring cup engineered specifically for rice. All the unit's removable parts are dishwasher-safe (which is a HUGE plus for me!).

The cooker measures 7-3/4 by 7-3/4 by 9 inches, and is covered by a three-year warranty.

I bought my unit at The Bay Leaf in Lawrence, KS about three years ago and it's still working great!

The Cuisinart CRC-400 is a very average rice cooker...

The Cuisinart CRC-400 is a functional rice cooker at best and at worst. We are not rice experts by any means, and we only cook medium, long grain and occasionally brown rice. It has always done the job, although it does a poorer job with the brown rice versus our new Zojirushi. If you're into cooking a lot of different types of rice, it would do well to consider a higher quality rice cooker that is not just a one push button.

What the Cuisinart CRC-400 does well is quickly cook rice, in about 20 minutes to adequate quality. It looks very good with the brushed steel style exterior. It also has a retractable cord which has not given any issues. It has also lasted a good 3 years so it has durability.

What it does not do well is that it is very easy to let boil over. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does, this would indicate it is very sensitive to differences in the amount of water you add, but the same issue does not occur on my Zojirushi (only other comparison) which means I consider the Cuisinart an annoying clean-up. This could also be in part to the lid not fitting the size of the inner bowl; for whatever reason, you would almost think that it was the wrong top, but it is a common complaint. It has no added functionality, so if you want a timer, it does not have one. Its design means the rice will dry out very quickly after cooking, so don't leave it for more than half an hour. It doesn't handle various types of rice very well.

Overall, the Cuisinart CRC-400 does the job it was meant for. It has some negatives that ultimately made me go for another cooker; but I paid more for it too, so you are essentially paying for what you get. So if you're in the market for a rice cooker, this is a good looking cooker that will do the job for basics. But if you would enjoy the ability to prepare the rice in the morning to be ready when you get home, the lack of a timer is a big negative amongst others: most notably the boiling over mess.

Simple process for delicious products

Comments about Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker:

I just started using this product after I've been using boil in bag rice and it either comes out still crispy or super mushy and overly cooked. I really love having rice for a side and it reheats very easily but not when its badly cooked. I decided to go with this rice cooker because it was low price and I knew cuisine art makes solid products. The first time I used it, it was easy to follow directions for rice and just to push the nob down to "cook" until it lifted up to "warm". It was easy to understand and easy to use. I added the rice and the water and put the lid on and pushed the tab down. About 20 minutes later the tab moved to the "warm" position and I opened the lid to perfectly cooked rice. It was so easy and so quicky, I didn't need to stir or watch it. I then heard that oatmeal can be cooked in it and that was easy as well. I added the water and oatmeal and let it sit for about 15/20 minutes until the tab moved from "cook" to "warm". This was slightly more complicated because I over estimated the amount of water and it over flowed, but I blame myself for that. The oatmeal came out wonderfully, the consistency was a perfect thickness to mix with my toppings. Cleaning it is simple. You remove the bowl you cook everything in and clean that with the spatula and I usually just wipe down the product itself with a wet sponge with some soap. I would definitely recommend this product to a friend for easy rice and oatmeal cooking.

Good but don't read the instruction manual

Comments about Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker:

This rice cooker is incredible if you learn the trick to it. My husband and I got this rice cooker as a wedding gift. The first time we used it, the rice boiled over the top and it was a mess. However, we have learned the trick to it. The manual is wrong. This device comes with two tops. A glass top that is supposed to be used for rice, and a top with holes in it that can be used for steaming things. Use the top with the holes when cooking rice. That lets steam and pressure escape and your rice comes out perfect! I love our rice cooker now that I know which top to use. It has lasted for over two years and makes delicious rice!

The performance is great if you use the correct top. It makes wonderful rice!

I think it is really easy to clean. I clean the part that cooks the rice by hand washing in the sink. It is quick and easy.

I think it is really easy to use.

We have owned ours for over two years and it is still going strong.

The design is great in that you can cook rice and steam things at the same time. However, the glass top for cooking rice is not great.

Attractive steamer rice cooker from cujsinart!

Comments about Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker:

The finish is very nice and it works satisfactorily however the capacity was too small so we returned it for the bigger 8 quart version after a week and two uses.

It does what it is supposed to, versatile.

Super quick cleanup - dishwasher safe lid, steamer, and pot. Wipe down the actual unit.

Fil with water and hit the switch - Presto!

Did not keep it long so cannot say for sure however its big brother steamer is rolling strong after two years!

Attractive and functional just a bit small in capacity.

Great little cooker!

from Carlsbad, CA

Comments about Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker:

Works great for rice, not sure it's my first choice for steaming veggies. Has very simple easy to use controls. Pretty consistant cooking; no guess work needed.

Not bad, non-stick surface make it pretty quick and easy.

No problems using and following simple instructions. All measurements are on the side of the cooking bowl, makes measurements simple.

All knobs and parts are sturdy, nothing feels cheap. I beleive it will last some time.

Good glass lid rice cooker, but has excess water/steam issues

from Dublin, OH

Comments about Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker:

We bought this rice cooker after accidentally overheating another cooker (different brand). Our main reason for buying this one over others is that this one has a glass lid and no plastic parts are involved with the cooking of the rice. We dislike the fact that many other products out there use plastic parts (with possible BPA) to cook rice. We also liked the stylish look of this cooker and that it was small enough to keep on our counter-top permanently.

Our only problem with the cooker is that it becomes very messy once the cooking process begins. For some reason, an excessive amount of water/steam ends up streaming down the side of the steamer. So much that we don't even consider leaving the kitchen towards the end of the cooking process, because we are worried that the excessive amount of moisture might travel to the cord area (although this has not happened yet, we are not willing to take the risk).

Because we are on our second rice cooker in only 4 years of marriage, we are not willing to buy yet another one. Although this one seems to have problems, our other one had problems too. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this cooker to a friend, but I'm also not planning to buy a different one for our household.

Seems to have a flaw in the design of the lid because of the excess water/steam that streams down the side of the cooker, mid-cooking.

This rice cooker/steamer is very good.

Comments about Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker:

I bought this rice cooker and steamer two years ago. I use it frequently and it works great. You can put the rice in it and just forget it until it's done. No more burned rice at all. It keeps the rice warm when the water is gone and it also steams vegetables when you use the basket that comes with it. The basket sits on top with the veggies in it and they are steamed as the rice is cooked. It then all sits there warming until you are ready to eat it. One good tip is to use vegetable broth to cook your rice in. Yummy!

I am extremely pleased with the performance of the rice cooker! Previous to buying this, I ALWAYS burned the rice! UGH! But now, the rice comes out PERFECT every time. It's great!

This is very easy to clean. Basically, you just wipe it out, nothing ever sticks and it's so easy to clean.

This rice cooker is very easy to use. You put the contents in, plug it in, turn it on and when it is done cooking, it pops up and stays on a warm setting so u have rice sitting there all ready for your dinner whenever you are!

The rice cooker is stainless steel outside, cleans up well, and is very stable and durable. I expect it to last a long time.

I love the design of it as I can steam veggies at the same time the rice is cooking, it shuts off by itself and stays on a warm setting until you are ready to eat. Couldn't be a better design than that!

Good product with issues

from Union City, PA

Comments about Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker:

My husband and I received this rice cooker as a wedding present.  We know the Cuisinart brand has a good reputation and expected a good product.  Overall, 4 years later, the rice cooker has been a good product for us.  We use it about 2-3 times a month.  It has never broken, etc.  We like that it comes with a handy measuring cup for portioning out how much rice to make.  I like that there is a "Warm" setting the appliance will switch to when it detects that the rice is done.  It's great that the cooking bowl is dishwasher safe.  We typically let the bowl soak in the sink while we're eating, then swipe out anything inside and throw it in the dishwasher.  The grew scoop spoon is a great addition -- nothing works better to schoop out the rice.  You may need to vary the amout of water you add -- depending on the type of rice you are using.  The look of the product is stylish.  Also like that the power cord retracts into the unit.

BIGGEST PROBLEM - It tends to make a mess.  The lid/vent hole do not keep a good seal.  Even if we're making only a cup or two of rice, the unit will boil over and leave a white/flaky coat down the sides of the unit.  We have to thoroughly wipe off the entire unit after each use.  Not fun, but it hasn't been a big enough pain to replace it.  It still cooks the rice well.

As long as you put in the right amount of water and (after it's done cooking) don't let it sit in the 'warm' state too long, everything tastes good to me!

Still has maintained it's non-stick-ableness. Very easy to clean.

Sometimes have to drag out the instructions book to read up on how much water to use depending on what I am cooking, but it's really a cinch otherwise.

We've had it almost five years, and despite the boil over issue I originally stated, we still use it frequently.

I still think there must be issues with the design, as it should not boil over as it does.

CRC-400, Balanced for non-rice grains and hearty rice.

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker:

I can't believe the reviews about this device, it shouldn't lose more than one star for maybe the plug not retracting or maybe the one operation mode. The main selling point should be that not only does it cook rice, it steams veggies at the sametime... perfectly!!! Another great thing about it, is the ability to perfectly cook alternative grains such as red and white quinoa. Long grain brown rice is no match for this either as long as you read the directions first. For quinoa, I recommend adding a little bit of oil to get the bits to sprout faster. The negatives are almost not noticeable unless you live in a small appartment or in a dorm room. The universal downside is perhaps due to the asthetically pleasing brushed aluminum outside... it gets hot... as aluminum conducts heat better than almost all metals with the exception of copper and silver.

Rice Cooker/Steamer- Healthy Eater friend

from Lees Summit, MO

Comments about Cuisinart CRC-400 4-Cup Rice Cooker:

My family uses this tool almost daily. We love steamed veggies of all varieties and in the steamer basket you can fit about 3-4 servings of veggies which ends up being the perfect amount for us. It usually takes about 20 min. which is comparable to stovetop steaming I guess. I do appreciate the ease of cleaning this. A dump of the water and a rinse and you are basically ready to go for the next way. The nonstick properties are very strong and it seems like they didn't skimp at all in that area. I wish the switch was a knob so that you could maybe set it to cook for a specific amount of time for those times when you are not cooking rice. Overcooked veggies although probably still nutritious are not as good as those that are still a bit al dente. Good investment piece!

The Cuisinart CRC-400 is a very average rice cooker...

from Seattle, WA