4.1
DLC-5
Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor

Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor

4.1

Cuisinart Food Processor--such a time saver!

The Cuisinart DLC-5 Food Processor is probably my favorite kitchen gadget when cooking/prepping a lot of meals for the week.  It slices and shreds wonderfully and quickly, especially for salads and lasagnas.  It makes pastry crust or blends biscuit dough in a snap.   It even makes a very yummy vegan frozen banana ice cream without any other tools!  My only complaint is it is a bit of a pain to clean and dry (though it is diswasher safe--only it takes up a lot of room in there).  Otherwise, it's fantastic!

Decent for the price, instructions may be needed

I was luck enough to score this model at a warehouse sale.  Overall its a pretty decent machine.  It can handle most jobs, but you do need to be sure that you do not over-load the machine.  It can handle some pretty tough foods - but will have issues if you are trying to process a large batch of items that are still in large chunks.

In my previous machine (by another brand) I could easily make things like chicken salad by simply adding in small to medium chunks of whatever needed ingredients.  I could even add in the dressing required and within a minute or several pluses everything would be combined and chopped evenly.  Often in this machine I find that it will leave large chunks of some ingredients while also leaving fairly unprocessed chunks in other areas.  I find it requires much more chopping then previous machines.  Also, for whatever odd design reason I find that the flow within the machine is often disrupted.  Often the food does not flow/move which results in the unprocessed food as it does not draw any food that sits within about a half inch above the bottom blade.

Because of this issue I find that I must prep anything I put into this machine a lot more then I could like to for a food processor.  (Ie. small onions into 1/4, larger onions in 1/8.)  The large the pieces the less you can put it, and if its bulky - forget about it.  This is a pretty decent machine, but the amount of prep it normally requires means that I tend to pull this machine out a LOT less often. (Because who wants to have to pulse celrey, empty, pulse onions, empty, pulse chicken, add other ingredients and pulse again... just for chicken salad for a whole family?)

Getting the bowls lined up entirely in the correct spots can also be tricky at some times. While I've been lucky, I have chipped off one of the plastic guards that you're suposed to align on the top (so it "locks) but thankfully it works anyway.

Its a decent machine, but I wouldn't call it a workhorse.

I wish I would have saved my money

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

I thought this was going to be the greatest kitchen helper ever. I was so wrong. Instead it was a pain in the neck to use. I spent more time cleaning this thing than cooking with it. It is ten times faster to use a cutting board and a knife to chop up the things I need versus using this Cuisinart Processor. It made a total mess of tomatoes and onions. Other veggie items would jam the tube or the blades. By the time I fiddled with this thing, I could have had my meal cooked and eaten. Cleaning this processor is also very annoying. This Cuisinart food processor is so heavy, it literally gives you a pain in the neck trying to put it away in your cabinet. It was not user friendly at all nor was it easy to store with all its sharp parts. I have a small kitchen and need all the counter space I can get. I ended up not being able to return it so I gave it away. I do not recommend this Cuisinart 7 cup food processor.

• Power:
  • Safety:
  • Ease of Assembly:

Good mid-size food processor, kneads dough well

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

I got this processor because I heard and read that it was one of the best economy models that helped with kneading bread dough. It definitely does that! I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a stand mixer, and this does the trick. I'm slowly figuring out what else it can do, too, and using it as an actual food processor. How bout that. lol. I like the interchangeable discs that come with it. I think the slicer works especially well.
I've learned that when I'm mixing liquids or runny foods, I can't go all the way up to 7 cups in there. I think I can only fill it up halfway, like 3 or 4 cups, before things get messy. The center wall is a bit short.
I also read that I need to clean it by hand in order to keep it in proper condition. Hand-cleaning this sucker is a bit of a chore, but it disassembles easily so that's good.

• Power:
  • Safety:
  • Ease of Assembly:

Cute and effective

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

This little guy works very well.  It has a high powered motor that is capable of chopping up many different foods from dry items to liquid sauces.  The only problem is that you will probably need another larger machine if you are heavy into cooking.  Some food items will not fit in this machine with only one batch.  Makes great salsas and bread crumbs.  Anything that required a quick-chop.  Cleans up easily as well.

great capabilities and fantastic safety features

from Mckeesport, PA

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

This is a fantastic addition to any kitchen. I use it for everything. This food procerros cleans up easily, and has great safety features. It will not turn on until all the connections are locked. The blades are sharp enough to chop through anything. This brand speaks for itself when comparing quality for the price.

small and mighty food processor

from Lititz, PA

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

This cuisinart food processor works very well.  I have been very impressed with the power of this appliance.  It it well made and easy to clean.  I have used it to chop and grind.  I have tried making cracker crumbs, this worked very well, and all crumbs were finely chopped.  There were not extra hunks left in the processor.  I have used it for vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, these vegetables chopped up very nicely and were finely chopped.  I will continue to use this appliance regularly as it aides nicely in grinding and chopping for food preparation.  I will reccomend this product to my friends.  It is well worth the price and holds it's value well.  I was happy that it is easy to clean, the blade removes quickly and easily and the container washed nicely.  I have not tried any sauces or purees etc, but I assume it will do well.  It does not take up a lot of space on the counter, it is a nice small size for my kitchen.

Does its job

from Lake Worth, FL

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

I must say that I was truly excited about this purchase.  I had hopes of making my own fresh pasta sauces and fresh seasonal soups.  My excitement waned when I wound up spending more time trying to clear the tube and re-set the blades.  Cleaning this is also a pain-in-the-neck.  As a person who does like to keep appliances on the kitchen counter...this is an item which takes up a great deal of space in the cabinets.  Overall, it is much easier to cut-up my food items and place them in a regular blender.

Cusinart DLC-5 is great once you figure out how to assemble it!

from Arlington, VA

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

I had a difficult start with my Cuisinart Food Processor.  Despite reading the instructions, I could not get the processor to turn on.  Thinking it was something with the motor, I exchanged it for a new one.  New machine, same problem.  I let my husband take a look at it and volia, it worked.  I had assmebled the top backwards.  It "clicked" into place as instructed, but since it was not aligned properly it would not work.  It could be because I am left-handed, but it seemed more naturally to fit the opposite direction.

Once assembled, I have had great success using it.  It cuts apples with ease, handles nuts well, yet finely chops the basil for pesto.  It takes care of the job quickly.  Cleaning it can be a bit difficult, but I think that would be the case with any food processor.

I don't use it very often, but might begin to in a new house where it will be more accessible.

Overall, I would reccomend it to friends, but warn them to pay close attention to the pictures when assembling!

cuisinart food processor love it!

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

why was i so long with out it/! now thinking back its like i was pregnant and once i had my baby i forgot what being pregnant felt like. i dont know or maybe choose not to remember how long it took me to make meals this litterally cut my time in half or more grading cheese for example took me so long especially because i half a large family i would have to grate huge blocks of cheese and not to mention the whole arm cramping up and feeling like i had just done a 3 hour work out! not i can just cut the cheese up in sections dump it in and do something else i get so much more done around the kitchen and still have energy to clean once im done eating not rest a bit then clean because i was so tired. carrots salads even nuts i love this product and it will always be useful to me. i love how the different settings means different cuts and for different foods and it all comes out perfectly better than when i used to do it by hand. love it love it!

A must-have basic appliance for every cook

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

The food processor is one kitchen appliance I feel I can't live without. While I am not a fan of collecting giant appliances, the cuisinart food processor is a really fantastic tool for every cook's kitchen. This is a standard food processor for a basic kitchen, a "my-first-food-processor" type of thing.

Comes with good basic blades such as graters and slicers, excellent for grating stinky onions in 10 seconds or slicing a bunch of potatos for a casserole. Its easy to clean and store, and I recommend it for every kitchen. This version does not have a dough blade, but their more expensive ones do. Be careful with the blades as they ARE very sharp and stay that way.

I used mine for almost 7 years and it still worked perfectly, once I upgraded to a higher quality one with more attachments I passed this one along to my sister's kitchen and still use it whenever I am at her house. The motor runs perfectly and the blades are still perfectl sharp.

Good but small

from Austin, TX

Comments about Cuisinart 7-Cup Food Processor:

It is a good food processor. But sometimes it is a bit too small for most meals. Also when grating or slicing, food can get stuck at the top and not get into the bottom. The blades are low and sometimes makes processing uneven.