Other Crock Pots & Slow Cookers:

Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker

Pros

Cons

Cooking Slowly but Surely, with Cuisinart

I'm not one to experiment in the kitchen and I'm always looking for shortcuts and other ways to simplify the process of meal preparation. Thus, it shouldn't surprise anyone that crock pots are one of my best friends. And when I need to cook up a big batch of food, I reach for my **Cuisinart CSC- 650 Slow Cooker**, a large crock pot for large meals. **Slow Cooker Commentary:** I own two slow cookers and my Cuisinart CSC- 650 is my favorite of the two. First, I like the large size of this crock pot. At 6.5 quarts, I can prepare a very large meal and have plenty of leftovers to eat at another time. It also makes a good choice for food preparation when you have a large number of guests to feed. Second, I like the greater amount of control that I have with this crock pot. Rather than have a few hourly settings to choose from in increments of 2 hours, I have complete flexibility with this crock pot. Each individual hour is marked and if I need a fraction of an hour, I can set the knob between two of the hourly settings, for maximum control over the cooking process. One of the other nice things about this slow cooker is that it automatically switches to warm when it is finished *and* it has a warm setting so that you can switch directly to warm if you desire. I have another slow cooker that doesn't allow the user to switch directly to warm. With Cuisinart, I have total control over my cooking. If I think the food is already hot enough, I can turn the bottom knob to warm and discontinue cooking while still keeping the food at a constant temperature until ready to serve. One thing I have noticed with Cuisinart CSC- 650 Slow Cooker is that you have to be careful when it comes to the temperature setting. As a rule, I avoid using the high setting because it can often get very hot (to the boiling point) and it can overcook some foods. The low setting seems to work best. With the setting on low and the hours set to four or five, food seems to come out just right.

The ceramic pot included with this slow cooker is quite large and I have found it best to bypass the dishwasher and clean it by hand. It is dishwasher safe, of course, but it takes up a good deal of space on the lower dishwasher rack. I have had little trouble cleaning this ceramic pot, even when the food has been cooking for a long period of time. It can get a little burnt, but the food cleans off easily with soap and water. The appearance of the Cuisinart CSC- 650 is rather utilitarian. It doesn't have the pretty floral patterns or the curvy body that some crock pots offer. Instead, this slow cooker takes on the appearance of a piece of industrial machinery. The square, stainless steel casing makes it look like a piece of equipment to take seriously. Since it isn't the prettiest crock pot I have ever seen, I pack it away when not in use. Unless your kitchen is full of polished stainless steel appliances, this slow cooker won't look right if left permanently on display on your kitchen counter.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, I am happy with the Cuisinart CSC- 650 Slow Cooker and it ranks among my favorite and most practical gifts from over the years. The appearance isn't going to win it any beauty contests but the control it gives you over the cooking process make this a crock pot worth owning. The price is high, but it makes a good choice of crock pot for those who like the flexibility that slow cookers offer and who want a greater degree of control over the heat settings and the length of cook time.

Only A Slow Cooker if you are Flash Gordon

The Cuisinart slow cooker as a six quart ceramic cooking container that is a little big if you are not cooking for a larger group.  The outer vessel is stainless steel and attractive as a sleek looking kitchen appliance.  You are given the "impression" that you can control your settings. The cooker is also supposed to change to a "warm" setting when finished.   This is where my admiration of an appliance like this one ends.  First off, there is nothing SLOW about this slow cooker.  Everything cooks entirely too fast and I have ruined almost everything that I have tried making in it.  I have burned or ruined more dinners in two weeks than I have in thirty years.  The "warm" setting is in no way useful because by the time it switches to warm, your meal is already ruined.  The purpose of a crock pot is supposed to be that you can cook a meal while you are gone, only I would NEVER trust this applicance to be working while I am not home unless I wanted to invite the fire department over for supper.  It will DEFINITELY be going back.

I love this slow cooker it is awesome.

Comments about Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I could not live without my slow cooker. It cooks so good the meat is nice and tender. the outside does not get hot I can touch the outside and not get burned. the food it cooks is delicious. I have even made meatloaf in it

Time to Heat
the heating time is great and when you turn it down to just keep warm it doesn't keep cooking I love that. My overall review for this item is that I would recommend this item to everybody. I do not know why anyone would not want this appliance in their kitchen it is an awesome appliance

Cooking Performance
cooking performance is fantastic I have nothing bad to say about this product. I recommend everyone needs to have this in their kitchen. you couldn't ask for a better appliance

It is so easy to clean I run my dish water get my dish cloth and wash it out it is that easy I use windex on the outside of my appliance just to add a little shine it never streaks and it is easy to keep clean

it is real easy to use common sense read the instruction booklet if you need to but actually look at the knobs it tells all it is not heavy at all it looks good wherever you set it

the design is fantastic the design of this appliance makes my kitchen brighter and is an asset to my kitchen

I have actually accidentally dropped mine and it took the licking and still cooks on My husband does not cook but he likes using this appliance and with him anything that can with stand him is a real good appliance

• Cooking Performance:

Good for large families, but slightly overpriced

from Chesterton, IN

Comments about Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

This slow cooker is great for large families looking for good home cooked meals. My complaint about this particular slow cooker is that it is very large and does take up a lot of room. Yes, it is stainless steel and looks high end, so leaving it on your counter top could be an options, however I don't like my kitchen counter tops to be overly cluttered. Plus, stainless steel equals finger prints. I wish this came in more of a matte finish then shiny. Just touching it to more it a bit out of the way leaves finger prints. So because of all of this I am left with the dilemma of either leaving it out or trying to find a space large enough to store it. I'm not using a crock pot to cook with everyday, but it definitely gets used, especially when the weather turns cooler and I don't have much time. I don't want to be pulling this thing in and out all the time, nor do I want to leave it on my counter. So because of this I decided to get rid of it and get a West Bend model instead that is just as big but easier to store.

My other complaint is the price. The controls are digital and the timer is a nice feature, however, the buttons can be a bit confusing at first. Once you figure them out though it's not so bad and has some nice features. You are paying more money for these features and if you don't plan to use them then maybe consider a cheaper slow cooker. If you don't need such a large slow cooker or one with all the fancy features, then I would suggest looking at some other brands because I think you can find similar performance for less money.

On the plus side, it has a retractable cord so at least the cord is easy to store.

• Cooking Performance:

Does its job, dries meat out a bit

Comments about Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

Perhaps it is my own fault, but as much as I love this thing, I feel like it dries meat out a little bit. I love to make stuff in this, and it is always big enough for all of my needs. When I come home from work and realize there is zero prep for dinner, it makes my heart sing. Plus the smell when you come home - oh man, it makes my mouth water. Sometime during the day I usually stop to wonder what I might make for dinner - when I remember that my slow cooker is going, it makes me so happy.
I really like this one - it was given to me by a friend who had gotten it from her sister - neither of them had EVER USED IT! But it was out of the box and I had no instructions with it. It was easy and intuitive to figure out how to use it.
I like the fact that when the timer is done, it keeps the food on a warm setting for up to 10 (or is it 12?) additional hours. Perhaps this is why my food dries out - by the time I get home it has often been on for a while!

• Cooking Performance:

Cuisinart slow cooker crockpot works great and looks great!

Comments about Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

This slow cooker works like a charm and lives up to m y expectations for a Cuisinart product.

Time to Heat
Heats up quickly every time.

Cooking Performance
Works excellent for any and all slow cooker needs.

Very easy cleaning just soap and water and you are done.

Forrest Gump can use this with ease - its a CROCKPOT!

Attractive finish and very functional - well designed.

Been using this crockpotfor 5 years now and NO problems whatsoever. Very reliable and durable.

• Cooking Performance:

Food Network's Big Daddy has a slow cooker like this Cusinart!

from Medford, WI

Comments about Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I love Big Daddy on Food Network! He made a roast using a similar Cusinart (slightly fancier). I bought myself one - based on this one feature. You can put the ceramic cooking vessel on the stove burner to brown your meat and then just pop it into the heater which is a beautiful brushed steel, rectangular container. It is just the most convenient capability ever. Truly, one pot cooking. It is so attractive and versatile. It has a glass lid with a stainless steel rim which is nice so that you do not have to worry about the glass chipping. This happened to my vintage crock pot (avocado green). I had to throw away the meal because I wasn't sure where or when the lid chipped. Bad. I love the glass lid for inspecting the meal. I do not have to disturb the heating process. One of the nicer features of this slow cooker is the retractable cord. This is so convenient for storage. It is just a beautiful appliance and I thank Big Daddy for using it to make that delicious roast!

Time to Heat
It is a pricier slow cooker. It works very good.

Excellent!

The ceramic pot has a very smooth finish. Easy to clean.

One pot cooking.

I love the rectangular, brushed stainless finish and the retractable cord.

I haven't had it for very long, but it is a well known brand name and it appears to be very well made.

• Cooking Performance:

Never leave home without starting dinner

from Rochester, MI

Comments about Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

This crock pot is a great value since it is so big you can feed a large group of people. In fact we have fed about 20 people with enough chili in just this pot. It cooks evenly and timely and then keeps food warm. I have cooked many things in this crock pot and have not experienced anything bad regarding the cook temperatures etc. The pot did crack however we sent it back to the company and they fixed it and sent it back(I think they relaquered it since you can still see the crack through the blackness.) However they did fix it for free and it has not had a problem since. When it is time to clean you just take out the black inner bowl and stick it right into the sink. However since we have found the crock pot liners we have used these to save us even more time. We still give the bowl a good rinse but that is about all it needs. Overall I would definitely recommend this slow cooker to do the job over and over again.

Cooking Performance
It seems to cook faster and hotter than most slow cooker. I usually decrease the cook time from a recipe by 1 hour at least.

Best design of a slow cooker that I have ever seen! Everyone who sees it wants it.

6 years going strong.

Cuisinart 6 qt crock pot, ease of use

from Fenton, MO

I have a **Cuisinart 6 quart crock pot that I use at least twice a week, **

**I like the ease of putting food in it, and cooking at a temp that I want, not what the company wants.**

**It cooks chicken right well, I have used it for big amounts of food and smaller ones, works well no matter.  NOT so well if under 3or 4 quarts of food, BUT is big enough for a whole chicken, beef roast of 4 pounds, and a large prok roast. I have never had a problem of drying out foods. **

**Iwould reccomentit to friends, if they are looking for a high end crock pot, if not buy a cheaper model, or another brand.**

**This is a bit more than most of my friends want to spen, but HEY , you have to splurge on yourself once in a while, and this is a great way to do it.**

**I dontlike to cook every day so the ease of a crock pot helps me and themany kids that pass thru these doors.**

Cuisinart Slow Cooker get the job done, few problems

from Louisville, KY

Comments about Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I registered for this slow cooker for my wedding, and it's been good in some ways and bad in others. I'm not sure it's a great "getting started with family" slow cooker because it's pretty huge. I'm just cooking for two and some of my recipes are for much smaller slow cookers. Also, there's a rim of plastic goo between the metal part and the 'pot' part, to keep it from sliding around. Really great feature, but ours is starting to peel off (after only 1.5 years).

I liked the design when I first registered for it, but now I think it looks clunky on my countertop.

In the 'pros' column, it's always done a nice job cooking, and I like that it has a timer. The retractable cord is nice, too. I hate having a cluttered countertop. And, while I mentioned the size in the 'con' category, it's also been nice sometimes, too, because I can make a lot of something and have food leftover to freeze.

Better than my old ones

from North Little Rock, AR

Comments about Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

I love this crock pot! I'm not saying that because I won it in a Twitter Party. I'm saying it because I own three crock-pots. Each of them has a removable crock...just like this one. Each one has a has the aluminum outside...just like this one. However, my other crock-pots don't offer the timed cooking or the digital display or retractable cord feature like my Cuisinart crock pot. The timed cooking feature is awesome because I can cook my crock-pot recipes as per the instructions in my crock-pot cookbooks. The digital display feature is awesome because I can easily see what temperature setting and know how long my food has been cooking at a glance. Lastly, my fave feature is the retractable cord. I cannot tell you how awkward it is to store crock-pots with cords hanging everywhere. Overall I love the Cuisinart crock-pot and would recommend it to anyone looking for a crock-pot.

Great crockpot for its class

from La Mesa, CA

Comments about Cuisinart 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker:

first of all, i want to preface this review by saying that if you have a big family, you want a big crockpot, and anything less than 6 quarts just simply won't do.

this crockpot heats quickly and thoroughly by whatever setting you choose. the temperatures are easy to set and forget. i've had this one for a year and no problem has ever come about the element or the controls. the only con i can really think of is the price. this unit is a little pricier than the others (as most cuisinart crock pots are) and i wish that it had some sort of latch on the top so it would be easier to transport the crockpot to things like potlucks or relatives.

all in all, it's a great unit, you'll want to buy it on sale though to really get a great bargain, also make sure you get a warranty just in case!