Other Travel Websites:

CruiseCritic.com

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:

Cruise Critic an informative cruise website for all cruise lines

I found cruise critic (***cruisecritic.com***) a couple of years ago when I was hoping to find an answer about a specific port. What I found was not only the answer to my question but a great little website! While it is not perfect, cruise critic is a site worth checking out before, or after, booking a cruise.

***What Cruise Critic IS
***At Cruise Critic you can read reviews from other cruisers, book one of their cruise specials, find information on ships and ports you can visit. However, the best part about Cruise Critic is their boards. You will need to register before you can post a question or a response. I have not been swamped with spam after doing so.

On the Cruise Critic boards, you can go under the specific cruise line you are booked on or are just thinking about booking. You can ask specific questions such as, "Are there any cabins to avoid?" Or "What are the not-to-miss desserts?" Other cruisers who have sailed on that ship will then give you their opinion. The food questions will especially get many opinions! LOL It was here that I found out about my cabin on the Mercury as well as the to-die-for almond croissants, so you can learn some good little tidbits here.

Cruise critic will give you long and short reviews from their cruisers and nothing beats an honest review from a person just stepping off the ship. Thing is, you can take two people coming off the same ship and get two very different reviews! Take them in stride, getting what you can out of each remembering a person's attitude is usually a big part of any cruise (or vacation) and know that may be affecting their review. Read all the cruise critic reviews for your ship (do a search) and then ask specific questions.

You can also go to the Ports of Call board to ask about a specific port or if you are the friendly type, the roll call area. In this board, you connect with people on your specific sailing. If they have a specific number (maybe 8?) they can hold a Cruise Critic party where everyone meets, there is a couple crewmembers, drinks, snacks and a pin. I dropped by to get the pin for my daughter who likes that kind of thing, but usually don't go. Many people love this cruise critic board and enjoy knowing others on the ship that they can chat with, eat with and even go off shore together. This is a great way to do that, you can get to know each other a bit beforehand at this board, and I assume would be nice for solo travelers.

***What Cruise Critic IS NOT
***Really, there is only one little negative about Cruise Critic and it is easily ignored. The only downside is also often the upside: the other posters! Sometimes these posters seem to forget that cruising has changed! When I was a child, we would take transatlantic cruises in June and September. It was very different than it is now with a great deal more formality: we always had to dress for all meals. There were a lot less ships and the cost to sail was much higher. Now, there are multiple lines, ships and destinations, which have dropped the price tremendously. Cruising has become an affordable vacation option for families and the cruise lines have adapted with less strict dress codes and more family (and children) activities.

Thing is, at Cruise Critic there are still a few posters that have not accepted that! For example, one time a poster asked about their 15 year old not wearing a tuxedo or black suit on formal and semi-formal nights. Then she had the gull to ask about him wearing jeans to lunch! This poor woman was slammed by posters telling her they would not be admitted into the dinning room and one even went so low as to say maybe they'd be happier at a Hotel 6 and McDonalds! I had just gotten off the ship she was asking about (Celebrity), there were multiple people (kids and adults) in jeans at lunch, and many teens simply wore a nice sweater or jacket over a T-shirt to the formal nights. To which someone responded they would ask him or her to be removed since they weren't following the dress code! Can you believe that! They felt it would ruin their dinner to view a diner in jeans! OMG! Don't let those stuffy jerks scare you away from the site; nobody is going to freak out if you are not in formal wear. How what someone else is wearing affects their vacation blows my mind! Oh, on all ships you can wear jeans to breakfast and/or lunch.

I will also mention that Cruise Critic offers some good cruise deals but when shopping for a cruise do just that, SHOP! There are so many wonderful deals available and so many places vying for your sale that by just searching, comparing and searching some more you are able to find amazing deals. In addition, after you have the very best deal available, you can enjoy the fact that most of the ship paid a lot more than you did and that always makes the effort worth it! Do check Cruise Critic's deals against other deals you have found on the net and they just may have the best deal.

***Kristy's Final Viewpoint:
***Cruise Critic is a great website for getting cruise information about specific cruise lines and even specific cruise ships. You can read reviews, book a cruise and talk with cruisers going on your sailing. I think the best part about Cruise Critic is the fact you can ask specific questions and get answers quickly, helping to assure a smoother cruise.

Good web site but too slow.

Cruise Critic is a good site for giving and receiving info on cruise vacations. I have used the "roll call" to meet people who will be on the same cruise beforehand. However lately the web site has been painfully slow. There is also an overzealous moderator who likes to move people's post around. It was more enjoyable before he came around.

Made plenty of new friends

from Tampa Florida

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

Great site to find out just about anything you need to know about a ship, sailing date, activities onboard and excursions from people who have cruised before. I absolutely find it invaluable when I'm going to an unknown port, again the good and bad.

Best of all, they have a "Meet and Mingle" section for sailings 7+ days! Simply sign up and you will get the information for the party. Need to bring a small gift from where you live (think it's $10 or so) and they get ready to meet the folks you've been talking to. We did this twice and had a wonderful time meeting people from all over the world.

You can find firsthand information (good and bad) from those who have sailed on your ship, give inside tips and some even post pics of your room. I've never had a question that wasn't answered either in the forum section or FAQ's.

So if you're planning a cruise, it's a must do.

Once you sign up, the site is easy to navigate. Be sure to your settings are on your terms, or you can get a lot of emails! It's easy to post a picture of yourself and pics/videos of your trips.

Features
To me the "Meet and Mingle" is the best! How many times do we sail with loved ones or even alone and wish we could meet people. This is an awesome party and a great way to connect the first night and then meet up during your sailing.

Customer Service
Haven't had to use it but I'm sure there would be a quick turn around time if you encountered a problem. Everyone is SO helpful.

Great for Planning Your Cruise

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

I have never been on a cruise but hope to do so one day. I have looked into them however, and this is one of the travel sites I used to do so.The CruiseCritic website gives you tips and advice on picking your cruise and what to do when you get there. CruiseCritic gives you lists of all the cruises there are and the pros and cons of each. They offer advice on various aspects of cruising and you can read other members reviews and advice on cruises. You can get information on cruises from the members that have been on a specific cruise such as the food, entertainment and things to visit and do in various ports. You can also find all sorts of information about various ports as well. If you are going on a cruise this is a good site to check into as it really helps. Although I have not actually booked a cruise yet, I hope to do so in the future and will definitely use this site again. The website is easy to navigate as well.

The Best Advice!

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

I am so thankful I stumbled upon Cruisecritic.com. This is the “Ultimate Online Cruise Resource .” This website has information on every aspect of the cruising world. The best aspect of the site would be the member review section. When we were first time cruisers we relied heavily on this section.

This website is very user friendly. The search options are incredible to give you exactly the information you need without wasting your time flipping through many pages.

Features
This website even offers information on all topics, even down to dress codes for certain cruise lines and events. There are several options to compare prices of the available cruises. There is even a filter for special deals. This will give those with flexibility more options and prices to consider.

Customer Service
The customer service section is just simply a contact us section. I have not had any bad experiences with this company!

• Customer Service:

Outstanding website to plan your next cruise

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

The Bottom Line. I absolutely LOVE Cruisecritic.com! If you are planning a vacation that involves a cruise, I highly recommend checking out Cruisecritic.com, it truly is a one-stop shop for cruises and has invaluable features that will make planning your next trip so much easier.

Cruisecritic.com is possibly one of the most user friendly company travel website I have ever used. From getting ideas for destination, finding a cruise choosing your cruise company, everything is very clearly labeled and laid out, without any annoying popups or intrusive ads.

Once you have found a cruise you are interested in your next step will be to click on the "Check Prices" button and a popup window will appear, where you can then compare many different websites for the best deal on your selected cruise. Even though I do wish you could book directly from Cruisecritic.com, this is a very well done website that will keep you stress free while planning your next vacation.

Features
There are many awesome and very helpful features that will take the stress out of trying to figure out which company is the best the most affordable, with best destinations etc. If you have no idea where you want to go on a cruise you can simply just choose "any destination, any month, any cruise line" from the "find a cruise" search engine, and it will show you loads of results from where you can get ideas and narrow down based on your preferences. I also LOVE that next to each cruise, you can see the popularity of that cruise and read tons of reviews from unbiased travelers. Each result clearly states the departure dates available, the departure port, the itinerary, even the cruiseship deck plan.

Cruisecritic.com is wonderful

from Nesconset,ny

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

There's a lot of sites for hotel reviews and other things, but I've never seen a really good cruise review website until I came across cruisecritic.com. This site is absolutely amazing. I used it about six months ago to find the perfect family cruise since I have two five year olds. I wanted to make sure what we were using was good for not only the kids, but the entire family. I was able to look at a large amount of cruise lines, destinations, attractions, ratings and reviews and so much more. They offer such great discounts and really give you accurate pricing and reviews. We had a great time and I am very happy I used this cruise website to figure out what to do and where to go. I would definitely recommend checking this site out especially if you're a frequent cruise goer. If you're concerned about the difficultly of using the site, don't worry at all. It's so easy to navigate and refine your search to exactly what you're looking for. I'm not exactly website savvy and I was able to find everything extremely easy. Excellent site.

Learn About Your Cruise, Before you Cruise

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

This is the best website to go to before you plan your cruise. This site can help you find great deals on cruises, different features that each cruise will offer, and even reviews about each cruise. There is also a forum on this site. I have read through the forums, but never personally used the forum. It's an awesome way to get information before about the cruise of your choice, the shopping on the cruise, dining and entertainment during the cruise, and even hotel selection. There is so much information, and all located on this one website.

It's very easy to use. There are a number of different drop down links that can make searching this site easier. There are links to see other people's reviews on the cruises they have taken. Also, it has a link to find deals on cruises. There is a community link to find the forum, different reviews, live chat and a host of other options. It contains so much information, you're sure to find a great cruise based on your own preferences.

Features
There is a ton of different links and features on this website, as I have already mentioned. It deserves a ten on it's features, as it's packed with information.

• Customer Service:

Great website to compare cruise deals

from north augusta sc

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

This website has an extensive amount of information about cruise deals, destinations, news, locating a cruise, and reviews on them. Each tab has a drop down list of additional categories to look up information, which is very helpful to me. I love that the website contains reviews for each type of cruise. This was great to decide which cruise line I should choose for my next cruise. I also think its nice to that the web site has a community section too. I have asked other people about different cruises, and it was helpful that this section was on the web site. I also like that there is information about each specific cruise line. I think that the website could do a better job of marketing itself to the general public. I heard about this website from a friend, otherwise, I would not know that the web site existed. The web site needs to be promoted more! That is the only reason why I did not give this a perfect ten. Otherwise, the website is fantastic for a first cruise or a return one.

Customer Service
I never had to use customer service.

• Customer Service:

Great for planning a cruise!

from Ann Arbor MI

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

It could be laid out a little better but it's a good site if you're planning a cruise and need to get reviews or the best deal on a cruise. I am planning a cruise for this coming winter break and I used this website to find reviews on the cruise ships that I had it narrowed down to. This website definitely helped me eliminate one of the cruise ships that I was thinking about, and I'm glad it did! I now have a ship picked out that I'm super excited about and I have no qualms!

The website looks a little clustered when you first go to it, but once you figure it out it's extremely easy to use. There are all the features that you need there.

Features
There are all the features you need for reviewing a cruise ship and narrowing down your options! They organize the ships through reviews and prices, which is really helpful if you're looking to save some money.

Customer Service
I had a few questions for the customer service reps about pricing and they were really helpful and nice to me when I called, so I have nothing negative to say about them!

Check Cruise Critic before you sail

from North Ridgeville, OH

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

This is the best overall website I found for information about cruise ship travel. I really like the reviews of the ships and the individual rooms in some cases. You can find out the differences between the various cruise lines, and see reviews from people who have sailed recently with them. You can get info on shore excursions too and compare different cruises to find one that is right for you. They cover info on food and dining too, the kids programs, spas and other activities. You can book a cruise through their web site too.

Very easy to use, just type in the ship or cruise line you want to get info on.

Features
You can view floor plans for different ships and rooms. People can also review their cruise by the date they sailed so you can get a feel for what the cvruise is really like. Also what you can avoid and things that are a must do or must see. I like being able to compare different cruise lines too.

Customer Service
They respond quickly to questions.

• Customer Service:

Pretty good resource for booking a cruise.

Comments about CruiseCritic.com:

I have used this website before when my husband and I were booking a cruise. It is definitely a great resource to have when you are researching your options. If you put in your destination city and dates, it will give you a great deal of options for cruises you can take. You can also pick a specific cruise line to travel on and it will give you multiple options on that line. I prefer to let it search all the cruise lines so I have a variety of options. Once you search and choose a cruise line, it will look help you find the best price on a ticket. Overall, it is a great website. You have to be willing to spend some time navigating it to get the most out of it. It is definitely worth it though. It has helped us save a lot of money on different cruises.

It is really easy to use the search feature. However, after it gives you results, you have to do a little more work to navigate the website. It gives you so many options that you have to be willing to research the different options.

Features
It has a lot of good features and gives you a lot of options to choose from on the website.

Customer Service
I have never had any problems with customer service on this website.