Other Crock Pots & Slow Cookers:
Crock-Pot
Models:
38501 W, 38501 C
Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501

Summary

Cooks smart. Looks smart. The Crock-Pot Smart-Pot Slow Cooker is the brains of the Crock-Pot Slow Cooker family. It does the thinking so you don’t have to. Simply set the cooking time on “High” for 4 or 6 hours or on “Low” for 8 or 10 hours and go about your day. And, there’s no need to worry when you’re running a few minutes late. After the pre-selected cooking time is complete, your Crock-Pot Smart-Pot Slow Cooker will automatically shift to the “Warm” setting, preserving the flavor of your meal and ensuring your meal is ready to enjoy when you are. Serving your dish is effortless. The 5-quart removable round stoneware provides a smooth transition from countertop to tabletop – no other dishes necessary. Plus the stoneware and glass lid are dishwasher safe, making clean up quick and easy. The stylish, stainless steel finish fits right into modern kitchens everywhere. It’s a smart-thinking, good-looking, slow-cooking machine. Crock-Pot The Original Slow Cooker.

Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501

Pros

• Easy to operate (4)
  • Variety of uses (4)
  • Dishwasher safe (3)

• Meats (4)
  • Veggies (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cook (3)

I love this crock pot!

When I first bought this Crock Pot I laughed because I wasn't sure why something like this needed to be programmable. But let me tell you it is no laughing matter- it actually comes in quite handy when cooking like I do.

First things first, this crock pot is made really really well. The ceramic is dishwasher safe, and doesn't chip or get damaged at all when in the dishwasher. Which is a big plus to me. I hate handwashing dishes.

Secondly, the crock pot is huge. Five quarts is bigger than you think. Which is nice because it means I can make extras and make sure that there is enough for leftovers and some to freeze. Which is really nice.

Thirdly, the programmable feature is really easy to learn. I was a little worried that the crock pot was going to out smart me. But it isn't all it took was a few minutes and a glance at the users manual before I was able to start cooking.

The crock pot is easy to clean, as i mentioned above the insert is dishwasher safe and once the outside cools off after you have cooked with it- you can just wipe it down with a rag. Which is nice.

The cord is plenty long enough, so the crock pot doesn't have to be right next to the wall, which can be kind of troublesome and some would say maybe a fire hazard. This cord allows it to be away from the wall and curtains- another nice feature.

The only thing that kind of bums me out, is a common problem with crock pots and that's that it does take some time for it to cool off after you turn it off or unplug it after use.

All in all it is a great kitchen gadget and probably the best crock pot that I have ever used. I am so glad that I found it, and it is used quite often.

I recommend it!

Decent Crockpot, but not exceptional

This slow cooker works well, but not great. It runs really hot and boils everything, even on low setting. Although it is programmable, it has only 5 settings: low 10 hours, low 8 hours, high 6 hours, high 4 hours, and warm. This means you can't choose a low temperature and shorter time for cooking. Also, since it runs hot, even at the low temperatures, I wouldn't suggest leaving the house with it on; I did it once (with it on the low 10 hour setting) and the liquid boiled over and I had a huge mess to clean when I returned. While the food has come out okay the few times I've used it, I have to stay nearby to keep and eye on it so that the food doesn't burn, boil over, or dry out -- which defeats the purpose of using a slow cooker.

Time to Heat
Too good, it gets really hot on all settings.

Cooking Performance
If you keep an eye on it and don't leave it alone to cook all day. No "set it and forget it" with this slow cooker.

If anything boils over, you're in for a mess to clean. Otherwise, the crock container cleans easily.

You have to constantly watch and adjust temperature and cooking time.

I love this crock pot!

from Florida

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Dishwasher Safe
  • Easy to Operate
  • Variety of Uses

I recommend it!

Cooks our dinner several nights a week!

from Centralia, IL

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Dishwasher Safe
    • Easy to Operate
    • Variety of Uses

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I absolutely love our crockpot! With our busy schedule, It is so nice to come home to dinner already done and this crockpot has never let me down! We have cooked so many things I couldn't even begin to name them all! I purchased the stainless steel finish and it is nice looking and sleek enough that it doesn't look out of place sitting out on the kitchen counter. With young kids in the house, it is also nice that the outside doesn't become too hot even cooking all day on high settings; I don't worry about burned fingers! When you program the time (4,6,8,10 hours), the setting automatically switches to warm which is awesome for when we get home later than expected- no warm up! Although it usually wipes down easily, my only complaint would be that if cooked high enough with a lower amount of "juices", food can become stuck to the inside cooking pan and it difficult to remove ". Not even an issue in our house anymore because now I always use slow cooker liners (also awesome!) so there is absolutely zero inside clean up. We have had ours for about 4 years now without problems and I will absolutely buy another when needed; we can't live without it!

An Amazing product

from Houston

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy to Operate
      • Variety of Uses

• Rice

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

If you do not have a crock-pot i suggest you go out and buy one. It is an amazing must-have product for everyone's kitchen with many versatile uses. You can make hundreds of different dishes in it such as a hearty chili or maybe some cheese dip. the choice is your's. It can sometimes be a hassle to clean but the amazing food is worth it. I love the fact i can just put my food in the device for the day and it will be done in time for dinner. I also love the fact that the results are always the same resulting in me getting a fabulous dish each time. I have given crock-pots as gifts many time especially for a wedding gift for newly weds so they do not have to but it them selves, It is also a great tool for mothers because you do not have to stand at the stove for hours at a time.

The Best SlowCooker Ever

from Minneapolis, MN

Verified Reviewer

Pros

• Compact Size
        • Dishwasher Safe
        • Easy to Operate
        • Variety of Uses

• Rice

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I have been looking for a new crockpot recently when I stumbled upon this beauty. I seriously set it and forget about it until I get home and smell the sweet sweet aroma of dinner. It has not failed me yet. Also the beautiful ceramic black bowl works perfectly with the rest of my dishes and looks nice on my table.

Cooking Food Nice and Steady

from Huntsville, AL

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

This crock-pot cooks good at a nice pace and is easy to use. I would highly recommend this to those cooks with experience or to a beginner. This pot is great for any occasion.

Time to Heat
          I honestly feel like this crock-pot heats at a good pace. I won't say that it is the fastest I have seen, but it doesn't cook too slowly.

Cooking Performance
          It cooks things nice and warm. There isn't much to say here except that it does an exceptional job at cooking food nicely.

Quite honestly, this item is very easy to clean. Just soak in warm water and scrub with soap. It really doesn't take much in my opinion. Unless you cook something very messy, you should not have any problems in this department.

All you really have to do is plug it in and set the temperature. There is a nice feature that let's you set a time limit. It is very useful, especially if you forget things often, whoops!

The design is nice, sleek, and modern. A steel finish that is very pretty to the eye.

I have had it for a year, and it works perfect and looks new!

Very happy with this

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I have been very happy with this Crock Pot so far. My favorite part is that it has a clear lid, so I can see the food as it is cooking. The exterior is nice looking. It's also very easy to program. The only thing that I think is a negative is that the cord is too short. I wish it was a few inches longer.

Time to Heat
          It does take a little longer than I'd like to heat up, but it cooks fairly quickly once it gets hot.

Cooking Performance
          My food gets cooked completely and never burns.

I love that I can take the pan out and wash it. I don't even use cooking spray on it, and it still comes out clean with very little scrubbing. The exterior of the pot is also easy to wipe clean. I was worried that the finish would show fingerprints, but it doesn't.

It is very easy to use. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so big for storage, but that would be my problem with any crock pot.

I am very happy with the design.

It is holding up well. There are no chips or worn spots on it after many uses.

So Easy

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I started out with a very basic crock pot that only had an On & Off switch. Somehow, I made this work for years. When I got the Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501, I felt like I had a personal chef. Crock pot dishes became unbelievably easy. Truly, this is a set it and forget it machine. It is absolutely essential with my family's busy schedule, and I can't imagine my kitchen without it.
          I love that the outside does not get too hot when I am cooking. The glass lid lets me peek in on my dishes without lifting the lid, thereby letting all the heat escape. The settings are so easy to use, making it a great kitchen tool for beginner cooks as well as expert chefs.
          The handles on the side make it easy to transport the unit if you're taking dinner to a friend's home or to a function. The inner pot slips out for easy washing, making it so simple to clean.
          My one complaint is that my father-in-law dropped a coffee mug in my pot when it was sitting in the sink, and the inner ceramic bowl broke. I have not yet found a replacement bold sold separately.

Must have crock pot

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I love this crock pot, it is easy to use and easy to program. You can set it for a certain amount of hours and when it is done it will set intself to keep warm, I love that feature!

Time to Heat
          Heats a little faster than other crock pots I've used, I tend to cook on low rather than high and it still finishes in the same time as others I've used cooking on high.

Like any other crockpot I have had before, cleaning takes a little more time than regular dishes because the food tends to get cooked onto the sides. After I remove the food from the crock pot I rinse it and then fill it with water and just let it soak, that makes cleaning it a lot easier. For harder to remove food I will fill the crock pot with water and put crock pot back into the warmer and let that heat for a few minutes, that really helps to remove any stuck on food.

This design is very modern, it has the stainless steel finish too it which I love. It is not too big or small, the perfect size for everything from soup and stew to a big roast.

Very durable, I have been very pleased with the way this crock pot has held up. I have had this crock pot for over a year and it still looks brand new!

A great crockpot

from Portland, OR

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

This is a great crockpot. It would be good for people that are new to using crockpots. you just have to set it and let it do it's thing, plus It keeps it warm if you're not ready to eat when it is done. I like the two separate presets for both the high & low (four total) I would definitely recommend this product

• Cooking Performance:

Best Way to Make a Homecooked Meal, While You are at Work!

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I really like being able to make my dinner in the morning, and smell dinner ready, when I walk through the door, after a long day at work. It makes my life seem a bit more in control, if you know what I mean. I love to make stews, or even Meatloaf. in it. What really is nice about this crock-pot, is that it's programmable.You can set the timer to stop cooking at a certain length of time, and then it just goes on the warm setting, It's done cooking, but it's staying warm for you.

Time to Heat
          It's great because it cooks slowly, which means it leaves the juices locked inside, and it's nice too, that you don't have to time your schedule just right, because it has a timer with a shut-off, that transitions it to a warm setting. It's almost like having a kitchen assistant, who can remember to check it at a certain time, and turn down the heat, if needed. If it's undercooked, you can always put it back on high when you get home.

Cooking Performance
          It does a great job, and much of this depends on your own personal tastes. I don't like things over cooked, so it's important for me to either under-cook, or cook just right. I like that I can gauge it well enough to make sure it's not overcooked, and with a little trial and error, I can have it down to a science, so it done perfectly to my taste. This crock-pot, gives me the tools, to make it happen. Filling it up and making sire you are using all of the 5 quarts is also important, for even cooking.

It's pretty simple. you just put soapy water into the basin, which is removable from the crock-pot itself. Then you can wipe out the interior of the part with the heating element., and you are done. Let's not forget washing the lid, of course. That is very standard.

It's a time saver, and at the same time it gives you the time to make side dishes without worrying if the main dish, or whatever you are making in the crock-pot, l will be overcooked. You just fill, cover, and press a button. That's very easy.

Perfect! It makes cleaning easy and it makes cooking, without worries easy, too.

We have had our several years now, and it's still the best way for us to have a hot meal, when I have worked all day.