Other Crock Pots & Slow Cookers:
Crock-Pot
Models:
38501 W, 38501 C
Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501

Summary

Cooks smart. Looks smart. The Crock-Pot Smart-Pot Slow Cooker is the brains of the Crock-Pot Slow Cooker family. It does the thinking so you don’t have to. Simply set the cooking time on “High” for 4 or 6 hours or on “Low” for 8 or 10 hours and go about your day. And, there’s no need to worry when you’re running a few minutes late. After the pre-selected cooking time is complete, your Crock-Pot Smart-Pot Slow Cooker will automatically shift to the “Warm” setting, preserving the flavor of your meal and ensuring your meal is ready to enjoy when you are. Serving your dish is effortless. The 5-quart removable round stoneware provides a smooth transition from countertop to tabletop – no other dishes necessary. Plus the stoneware and glass lid are dishwasher safe, making clean up quick and easy. The stylish, stainless steel finish fits right into modern kitchens everywhere. It’s a smart-thinking, good-looking, slow-cooking machine. Crock-Pot The Original Slow Cooker.

Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501

• Cooking Performance:

Best Way to Make a Homecooked Meal, While You are at Work!

I really like being able to make my dinner in the morning, and smell dinner ready, when I walk through the door, after a long day at work. It makes my life seem a bit more in control, if you know what I mean. I love to make stews, or even Meatloaf. in it. What really is nice about this crock-pot, is that it's programmable.You can set the timer to stop cooking at a certain length of time, and then it just goes on the warm setting, It's done cooking, but it's staying warm for you.

Time to Heat
It's great because it cooks slowly, which means it leaves the juices locked inside, and it's nice too, that you don't have to time your schedule just right, because it has a timer with a shut-off, that transitions it to a warm setting. It's almost like having a kitchen assistant, who can remember to check it at a certain time, and turn down the heat, if needed. If it's undercooked, you can always put it back on high when you get home.

Cooking Performance
It does a great job, and much of this depends on your own personal tastes. I don't like things over cooked, so it's important for me to either under-cook, or cook just right. I like that I can gauge it well enough to make sure it's not overcooked, and with a little trial and error, I can have it down to a science, so it done perfectly to my taste. This crock-pot, gives me the tools, to make it happen. Filling it up and making sire you are using all of the 5 quarts is also important, for even cooking.

It's pretty simple. you just put soapy water into the basin, which is removable from the crock-pot itself. Then you can wipe out the interior of the part with the heating element., and you are done. Let's not forget washing the lid, of course. That is very standard.

It's a time saver, and at the same time it gives you the time to make side dishes without worrying if the main dish, or whatever you are making in the crock-pot, l will be overcooked. You just fill, cover, and press a button. That's very easy.

Perfect! It makes cleaning easy and it makes cooking, without worries easy, too.

We have had our several years now, and it's still the best way for us to have a hot meal, when I have worked all day.

Decent Crockpot, but not exceptional

This slow cooker works well, but not great. It runs really hot and boils everything, even on low setting. Although it is programmable, it has only 5 settings: low 10 hours, low 8 hours, high 6 hours, high 4 hours, and warm. This means you can't choose a low temperature and shorter time for cooking. Also, since it runs hot, even at the low temperatures, I wouldn't suggest leaving the house with it on; I did it once (with it on the low 10 hour setting) and the liquid boiled over and I had a huge mess to clean when I returned. While the food has come out okay the few times I've used it, I have to stay nearby to keep and eye on it so that the food doesn't burn, boil over, or dry out -- which defeats the purpose of using a slow cooker.

Time to Heat
Too good, it gets really hot on all settings.

Cooking Performance
If you keep an eye on it and don't leave it alone to cook all day. No "set it and forget it" with this slow cooker.

If anything boils over, you're in for a mess to clean. Otherwise, the crock container cleans easily.

You have to constantly watch and adjust temperature and cooking time.

An Amazing product

from Houston

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy to Operate
  • Variety of Uses

• Meats
    • Rice
    • Veggies

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

If you do not have a crock-pot i suggest you go out and buy one. It is an amazing must-have product for everyone's kitchen with many versatile uses. You can make hundreds of different dishes in it such as a hearty chili or maybe some cheese dip. the choice is your's. It can sometimes be a hassle to clean but the amazing food is worth it. I love the fact i can just put my food in the device for the day and it will be done in time for dinner. I also love the fact that the results are always the same resulting in me getting a fabulous dish each time. I have given crock-pots as gifts many time especially for a wedding gift for newly weds so they do not have to but it them selves, It is also a great tool for mothers because you do not have to stand at the stove for hours at a time.

The Best SlowCooker Ever

from Minneapolis, MN

About Me Casual Cook

Verified Reviewer

Pros

• Compact Size
    • Dishwasher Safe
    • Easy to Operate
    • Variety of Uses

• Meats
      • Rice
      • Veggies

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I have been looking for a new crockpot recently when I stumbled upon this beauty. I seriously set it and forget about it until I get home and smell the sweet sweet aroma of dinner. It has not failed me yet. Also the beautiful ceramic black bowl works perfectly with the rest of my dishes and looks nice on my table.

Cooking Food Nice and Steady

from Huntsville, AL

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

This crock-pot cooks good at a nice pace and is easy to use. I would highly recommend this to those cooks with experience or to a beginner. This pot is great for any occasion.

Time to Heat
      I honestly feel like this crock-pot heats at a good pace. I won't say that it is the fastest I have seen, but it doesn't cook too slowly.

Cooking Performance
      It cooks things nice and warm. There isn't much to say here except that it does an exceptional job at cooking food nicely.

Quite honestly, this item is very easy to clean. Just soak in warm water and scrub with soap. It really doesn't take much in my opinion. Unless you cook something very messy, you should not have any problems in this department.

All you really have to do is plug it in and set the temperature. There is a nice feature that let's you set a time limit. It is very useful, especially if you forget things often, whoops!

The design is nice, sleek, and modern. A steel finish that is very pretty to the eye.

I have had it for a year, and it works perfect and looks new!

Very happy with this

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I have been very happy with this Crock Pot so far. My favorite part is that it has a clear lid, so I can see the food as it is cooking. The exterior is nice looking. It's also very easy to program. The only thing that I think is a negative is that the cord is too short. I wish it was a few inches longer.

Time to Heat
      It does take a little longer than I'd like to heat up, but it cooks fairly quickly once it gets hot.

Cooking Performance
      My food gets cooked completely and never burns.

I love that I can take the pan out and wash it. I don't even use cooking spray on it, and it still comes out clean with very little scrubbing. The exterior of the pot is also easy to wipe clean. I was worried that the finish would show fingerprints, but it doesn't.

It is very easy to use. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so big for storage, but that would be my problem with any crock pot.

I am very happy with the design.

It is holding up well. There are no chips or worn spots on it after many uses.

So Easy

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I started out with a very basic crock pot that only had an On & Off switch. Somehow, I made this work for years. When I got the Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501, I felt like I had a personal chef. Crock pot dishes became unbelievably easy. Truly, this is a set it and forget it machine. It is absolutely essential with my family's busy schedule, and I can't imagine my kitchen without it.
      I love that the outside does not get too hot when I am cooking. The glass lid lets me peek in on my dishes without lifting the lid, thereby letting all the heat escape. The settings are so easy to use, making it a great kitchen tool for beginner cooks as well as expert chefs.
      The handles on the side make it easy to transport the unit if you're taking dinner to a friend's home or to a function. The inner pot slips out for easy washing, making it so simple to clean.
      My one complaint is that my father-in-law dropped a coffee mug in my pot when it was sitting in the sink, and the inner ceramic bowl broke. I have not yet found a replacement bold sold separately.

Must have crock pot

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I love this crock pot, it is easy to use and easy to program. You can set it for a certain amount of hours and when it is done it will set intself to keep warm, I love that feature!

Time to Heat
      Heats a little faster than other crock pots I've used, I tend to cook on low rather than high and it still finishes in the same time as others I've used cooking on high.

Like any other crockpot I have had before, cleaning takes a little more time than regular dishes because the food tends to get cooked onto the sides. After I remove the food from the crock pot I rinse it and then fill it with water and just let it soak, that makes cleaning it a lot easier. For harder to remove food I will fill the crock pot with water and put crock pot back into the warmer and let that heat for a few minutes, that really helps to remove any stuck on food.

This design is very modern, it has the stainless steel finish too it which I love. It is not too big or small, the perfect size for everything from soup and stew to a big roast.

Very durable, I have been very pleased with the way this crock pot has held up. I have had this crock pot for over a year and it still looks brand new!

A great crockpot

from Portland, OR

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

This is a great crockpot. It would be good for people that are new to using crockpots. you just have to set it and let it do it's thing, plus It keeps it warm if you're not ready to eat when it is done. I like the two separate presets for both the high & low (four total) I would definitely recommend this product

• Cooking Performance:

Best Way to Make a Homecooked Meal, While You are at Work!

• Cooking Performance:

Effectively cooks foods over a longer time with auto shut off

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I had read many reviews about crock pots and wasn't sure about any of them unless they were very expensive. This being my first crock pot, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it but I didn't want it to break down either.

I am very happy with this purchase. I had heard a lot of this brand name and wanted to try it. I have extremely happy with the size of the crock. It is also very durable. I like that I can choose the time settings. I had used another from a friend it it was manual with only hot or warm. This is much more user friendly and can be more customized to what I am cooking.

Normally I just cook chicken and condense it to broth. I love the programmable features because I can set it and leave it.

As far as ease of cleaning, it is easy. The one part this is difficult is water can get up inside the knob to the lid. I guess it really doesn't hurt anything but it doesn't look good. I have to put a small part of a dry rag in the small whole and move the lid about until the water contacts the rag and is soaked up.

I think this is super easy to use. I just let the crock-pot know how long I want it to cook and it does the rest for me.

The outer part gets heats up too. This was a big surprise to me. I thought the inside would stay warm but it would not be warm (actually HOT) to the touch on the outside. I am not sure if that is normal for all crock-pots. Mine is stainless steel on the outside so I don't know if that affects it either. I guess I expected it to be more like a rice cooker that doesn't get hot on the outside.

Mine has been fine so far. I have only had it about 4 months, but I use it weekly and for a long duration each time (8-16 hours).

• Cooking Performance:

Slow cooker did not cook evenly!

from Reading, PA

Comments about Crock-Pot 5-Quart Round Programmable Slow Cooker 38501:

I received this slow cooker as a wedding gift and was so excited to make many home-cooked meals! The first time I used this, I made a meat and potatoes meal and was horrified to come home to see it completely burnt! I figured it was just due to my lack of knowledge when it came to cooking. However, after using it several more times, I truly believe it was the slow cooker. I learned that it did cook fast and did NOT cook evenly! I usually just shortened the cooking times since it seemed to cook fast, however the outer edges would get very well done compared to the rest of the meal. If I was home, I would stir it on occasion but that is not always feasible for various recipes or if you are not home. In the end, I just saved my money up for a better slow cooker and have been pleased with the new one!

The design of this slow cooker is very nice and it is also somewhat easy to clean. However, those features pale in comparison to the quality of how it cooked food. In my opinion, this would be a slow cooker to avoid.