Other Misc. Computers & Electronics:
Cricut
Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine

Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine

A Scrapbooking Essential!

If I were on a desert island and could only have one scrapbooking tool, the Cricut personal electronic cutter from ProvoCraft (or its big brother the Expression) would be what I would take. Since getting my Cricut and Expression I haven't bought any scrapbooking embellishments except paper. The Cricut allows me to cut titles, embellishments, cards, boxes, and more in sizes ranging from 1 to 5.5 inches to use on my scrapbooking layouts, cards, or other projects. Because the machine only weighs 7 pounds it is portable and can be taken to crops and scrapbooking retreats.  If purchased through an authorized dealer the Cricut comes with the George and Basic Shapes cartridge.  During the black Friday sale at Wal-mart, special bundles were for sale with a second mini cartridge--Keystone.  Some of those bundles may still be floating around your local Wal-Mart, so read the box carefully.While the cartridges can be pricey they are interchangeable between the machines.  If you purchase the Cricut and later decide to upgrade to the Expression, the cartridges you previously purchased will still work. The variety of cartridges are mind boggling.**Font Cartridges:** - All Mixed Up

- Alphalicious

- Doodlecharms

- Dreams Come True

- Fabulous Finds

- Going Places (Travel)

- Happily Ever After (Disney)

- Joys of the Season

- Locker Talk

- Mickey and Friends (Disney)

- New Arrival (Baby)

- Speaking of Winter

- Word Builders:  A Garden of Words

- Word Builders:  A Word Party

- Word Builders:  An Ocean of Words

**2008 Cartridges rumored to soon be released:** - Baseball (May 2008)

- Campout (May 2008)

- Home Accents (May 2008)

- Indie Art (May 2008)

- Pooh and Friends (March 2008)

- Pooh Font (March 2008)

- Soccer (May 2008)

- Stone Script (May 2008)

- Street Signs (May 2008)

- Wedding (May 2008)

ProvoCraft also started a free, informative forum to share ideas and get help with the Cricut and Expression.  The people on the site are willing to share their creations and instructions on how to recreate the projects.

Too expensive for what it does

Unless you are into big time scrapbooking this machine is too expensive.  it works well but costs too much.  The mats don't last long enough.  Mine didn't work for more than a few cuts.  I use it for greeting cards and not scrapbooking.  To be a good investment you'd need to use it more than I do and I bought it at a very, very good price.

Inspiring

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

I really enjoy using this product. It comes in handy for creative things to add to any paper arts I am doing! There are many options of cartridges. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because the cartridges are expensive and the mats don't last that long. They lose their stickiness pretty quickly. Besides these things, I really enjoy using it!

Mighty Little Cutter

from Cumberland, MD

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

I received this Cricut electronic cutter as a gift. I was impressed with the step-by-step booklets that come with Cricut cartridges and was able to use the machine straight out of the box. The only drawback to this model is that I need to cut 12 x 12 paper in half to use it since the cutting swath is only 6 inches wide. I understand that later models improved on this. But when I need to cut multiples for card-making the last cut is just as sharp and precise as the first one and that is all I want from this cutter. It is versatile and the cartridges offer many mix/match icons which increases it's usefulness. There is very little paper waste since the cutter can be repositioned if need be to use up scraps. All in all, a useful craft tool.

Cricut Personal Cutter Fun

from Barboursville, VA

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

I am new to this machine, but am having fun investigating all it can do. The cartridges available for it are so varied. The cutouts on card stock seem to hold up the best. The sticky mat that comes with it holds down your paper while the blade cuts out the design according to your cartridge selections. Let your imagination soar.

LOVEEEEEE IT!

from Clifton, NJ

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

I love love love this machine. I can make whatever I want, when I want. It's great for scrapbooking, Card making, crafts for kids and adults, Birthday signs, and so much more. the cartridges are kind of expensive but certain stores have really good deals on them all the time! I would recommend this to everyone, even if you think you are "not crafty" you will love this machine!

Versatility and convenience!

from Lincoln, CA

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

I absolutely love my Cricut!  I bought the Quickutz tool but never bought any more alphabets because they were so expensive and it was so labor intensive to punch out the letters.  This is so, so easy!  I also have seven cartridges, since great deals can be found on them as well.  I can cut any size letter from one inch to five and a half, and now that there is a computer software program to weld letter and create designs based on the shapes for each cartridge, your own creativity is really the only limit to what this machine can do!

love it, absolutely a must have for any serious paper crafter!

from Tea, SD

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

I own the original cricut and 6 fonts including the disney.  It is a wonderful product.  It has occastional very minor glitches every once in a while just like any computer but it is very easy to fix them by just shutting it off and turning it back on.  It is quick, doesn't take a lot of space and easy to use.  The replacement pieces are not incredibly expensive like the cutting blade and the cutting mat.  I have owned this for one year and still have yet to replace the blade and have only replaced the cutting mat one time.  They lose their stickiness after much use.  The little booklets that come with the fonts are very informative (in a few languages to those that would benefit).  Hope this helps!

Not so user friendly

from Waianae, HI

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

Liked the Cricut Machine at first, and then after having it for a little bit. My enthusiasm was less. It's not as user friendly as it claims. Until today, I still have a problem with the machine on using the "paper saver" option. It does not stop cutting when it gets to the end of the paper, it will still go off the paper, and  cut on the mat portion. There are alot of designs to choose from, which is a plus. I have used this for a few projects, but wouldn't say I've done anything mind blowing with it. Cartridges are kind of pricey as well.

I love my Cricut!

from O Fallon, MO

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

The Cricut is so easy to use.  My 10 year old used it for a school project and it looked so great.  (Of course he got an A).  I actually purchased mine on Ebay for far less money than a new one.  For me it was a great purchase.  Now I have a paper addiction and can't go past a craft store without buying more paper.

Love My Cricut Create!!!

from Sachse, TX

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

The Cricut create has really changed the way that I scrapbook. It's amazing! I save so much money by not having to purchase letter stickers and I love being able to make custom designs for my pages. The initial investment might seem like a lot for some, but it really isn't when you do the math.

I really held off for a long time before I purchased this machine. I didn't think I would ever use it, but not I can't imagine scrapping without it. If you are on the fence about this machine, I would say Go for it! You will get addicted within the first few hours of using it.

Cartridges are pricey, but you can get a great deal on eBay for them.

This tool is great for many types of crafters not just scrapbookers. Another bonus is that you don't need to have a computer to use it. This way if you go to a crop or something you can easily take it with you without taking a laptop with you. I have just recently started to make personalized cards with it. I think that the receivers love the personalization of the cards and they are fun to make!

The most amazing, timesaving, magical machine I have ever bought

from Davenport, IA

Comments about Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter Machine:

This item is the best I have purchased. I have other die cutting machine and nothing compares to this. It is so interchangeable and conviec=nt to carry anywhere. The cartridges can be a bit pricey but when you hit a sale the cartridges are worth it.

You can make an array of items with this from cards to scrapbook pages.