2.2

2.2

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:

Seriously *love* CREDO mobile!

I switched to CREDO mobile on priciple but have been pleased with all around. I hadn't much paid attention to what mobile providers did with their money, but when I learned that my carrier at the time, Verizon, was sponsoring what was essentially a Massey Energy mountaintop removal mining rally, I realized that no way did I want my hard-earned cash funding causes that I was against. And other mobile companies I've learned about since also greatly contribute to politicians and companies that I find objectionable. CREDO mobile supports socially and environmentally progressive and responsible causes, which is right in line with my values.

It's great to see that CREDO will buy out a contract for a customer making a switch. I didn't need that feature but do appreciate it. And since I switched, the service I've received has been great. The customer service reps I've interacted with have been courteous and helpful. Early on in my contract, when I was still trying to figure out the plan that was best for me, I had a few instances where I had exceeded my allotted minutes or texts on my plan. The reps always were helpful in adjusting my plan at the time in order to reduce my charges (i.e., I'd pay a bit more for my plan and avoid having to pay much more for overage fees).

I also opted for handset insurance, which has also been wothwhile and a positive experience. It's affordable, and when I did have to take advantage of it because of a damaged phone, its replacement was fast and efficient. In fact, I received a phone upgrade with my replacement--what a pleasant surprise!

My coverage has also been just fine. I don't notice any difference compared to when my service was with Verizon. Often, for work, I have to travel for areas without mobile reception, but this coverage doesn't differ compared to colleagues who have service with other companies.

CREDO mobile, in my experience, is worth switching to. Given that I'm spending hundreds of dollars annually to a particular service, I feel great that a portion of my money is going to causes I feel good about.

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.

My experience with Credo has, hands down, been the absolute worst. I joined Credo exclusively as a way to support my political beliefs. I was with Verizon previously and had had no promblems with them, outside their high prices.

My initial dealings with Credo were very positive. While at the time they were running with an offer to pay for early termination fees from your prior phone service provider, I didn't need it, as I was on a month to month option. My plan with Credo included a two year contract and a Samsung Galaxy. And for the first few months I had no problems whatsoever. Until out of the blue I entered into what I can only describe as a week of pure hell.

For no discernible reason my phone stopped working, but only when I was home. At work, and other areas it worked fine, but once I crossed over the threshold of my door, nothing. No dial tone, no incoming or out going calls, no Internet, no email. I can't even begin to convey how completely aggravating that was. But that was just the beginning of my nightmare.

I do not have a land line. My mother is elderly and in poor health, so it is imperative that I have reliable service so she can contact me if there is an emergency. And to top that off, during this same time period, I came home one night to discover a broken window, and I was unable to call my condo security, or call for emergency repair.

I couldn't call, so I sent an email to Credo explaining the problems and the urgency of the matter with my mom. No answer. Nothing. I sent another, and finally received a response from a customer service rep. We were going back and forth after he sent me some instructions to try different things to see if it would work. It didn't. At one point after I had relayed that the latest option failed, he just stopped responding. No explanation. He was just gone. Pretty much the equivalent of hanging up on me, if I actually had a phone that worked. I even went back to their website but now it was down for maintenance.

That did it for me, absolutely the last straw. I couldn't take the risk with my mother's well being waiting for Credo to get their act together. I switched my phone service over that day to Consumer Celluar. I had a new phone the very next day, and it works perfectly. A few days later I got an email from that Credo customer service rep. who disappeared midway, wanting to know if it was working now. I also got a bill for around $250 for early termination. I asked them to waive that fee due to the rep's irresponsibility, my mother's health, and my own safety with the window situation. But nope, and here's the real kicker. They said the deciding factor was that it was my fault because I should have CALLED them! On what exactly, I asked, when I had no phone service. I might as well been talking to the wall for all they cared. Which is really ironic considering that if I had taken them up on the offer to pay for any early termination fee with my prior provider, it would have been about the same amount. Never ever under any circumstances will I use Credo again. I'd rather resort to two tin cans and a string. That's how horrible it was.

As an aside, I would highly recommend Consumer Cellular. I have three phones with them, separate lines with separate numbers, because they only charge you $10.00 a month for each additional line. I have two Galaxy Exhilarate's, which allows email, web, etc., although not in the league of iPhones, I am able to do pretty everything I did with the Galaxy III I had before. The plan I have includes 500 any time minutes, and 5000 texts. My third phone is a simple flip. This plan is shared between all the phones, and unbelievably, is less than $70 a month. I did pay $100 a piece for the smartphones, and $35 for the flip but given the low monthly rates, it will pay for itself. Now I don't have to worry about only having one phone. And best of all, I never have to deal with Credo ever again!

Avoid Credo

from Cumberland MD

Comments about Credo Mobile:

Technical support sucks. In an area that I never got on the network but they refused to allow me to void the contract. They refused to believe that. Customer service NEVER transferred me to technical support. Could not get a local number and the one they gave me was 200 miles from my home and required purchasing a separate roaming charge card to use the phone for ANY call, local or not. Had to pay for a full month of service I never received and full price for an iPhone just to get them off my back. I love the concept of profits going to progressive causes but the business end is ruled by Attila the Hun.

CREDO IS GREEDY LIKE THE OTHERS

from portland, OR

Comments about Credo Mobile:

i signed up with Credo because they claimed to be 'socially responsible' ...instead they are just as greedy if not more than the other cell giants (verizon, at&t, sprint, tmobile). I was with them for YEARS yet each time my contract would come 1 month within ending both phones on the line would mysteriously stop working...just to push us to sign up for another 2 year contract. yet this last time i didn't fall for it and closed off one line and they slapped me with a $95 termination fee and happily told me not only would it NOT be credited, but my phone would be 'terminated' with a suspension fee if not paid. well my phone isn't working...so doesn't matter if they TURN IT OFF. their intentions are clear - theft without blinking. definitely NOT customer service...

Avoid like the plague

from Portland OR

Comments about Credo Mobile:

Total bait n switch on pricing. Donate to causes directly. I felt ripped off.

Do Not Use Credo

from Nassau County, New York

Comments about Credo Mobile:

We have been Credo customers for several years and had been satisfied with their service. That changed when Credo discontinued its unlimited data plan. We were pleased to learn, however, that Credo now offered free calls to Canada. However, none of Credo's contract language stipulates that texts to Canada do indeed incur charges. Attempts to find out the terms of the contract stipulating these conditions were met with sarcasm and unfulfilled promises to return our call of inquiry with the requested information. It is bad enough that the terms of the contract were unclear. Far worse is the way that customer service handled our requests. This is not a progressive company. It charges top rates for mediocre service and terrible customer relations. The "progressive" label is a public relations ploy. We would strongly suggest looking elsewhere for your mobile service.

Don't do it!!!!

from Greenville SC

Comments about Credo Mobile:

As long as you have no problems, you're good. But if you have even one small problem, customer service will not help you, nor will they help you resolve any problem.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Avoid Credo Mobile and support causes directly

from Union City, CA

Comments about Credo Mobile:

After tolerating the poor call quality and coverage for 2 years, I waited and cancelled my account in the last month of my contract. Then I receive a bill for $190 "Contract Penalty." When I called them to ask them to remove it since I had waited until the end of the contract, they said I was obligated "to the day" and that they could not just bill me for the last month. Instead, they prorated my bill and charged me a contract penalty that is greater than the charge for the whole month would be. I found them to be unreasonable and inflexible.

I love the idea of supporting progressive causes, but it's just not worth it to deal with this company. Support the causes directly and stay clear of Credo Mobile!

Best Decision Ever!

from Hillsborough, NC

Verified Reviewer

Comments about Credo Mobile:

Joining Credo 8 (or has it been 9?) years ago was the best decision I have ever made. I have a family plan with three phones, unlimited texting for all, unlimited data on one. We pay an extremely reasonable bill every month. (just over $130) I have always been able to reach a representative to discuss the best options for my family. (used my mobile hot spot this weekend) I LOVE the customer service and tech support people who work for CREDO. They answer the phone quickly, they thank me for being a member and they do everything possible to resolve issues quickly. We ran into some issues with the Samsung Galaxy when it first came out, but the tech folks were very helpful; even replaced the phone within a few days when the OS issue on one phone couldn't be resolved. Each of my family members has been able to upgrade for free, or for a small fee at the end of a contract period. The network is slightly limited, but I've experienced better and better service each year as they expand membership and their network. I am so happy to be a member of this company. My mobile dollars are well spent on very good service, and I also enjoy the benefit knowing that I am supporting very important social and environmental causes, which I get to vote for. They give $200K away each month to causes I believe in!! When a "CREDO-like" electric service provider, or a "CREDO-version"of screen entertainment emerges, I will be the first to sign on!

Avoid at all costs!

Comments about Credo Mobile:

We fell for their line....

We switched from AT&T to Credo 2 years ago (5 phones). They were offering decent deals and I liked the idea of donating to progressive causes. The first issue is coverage on the Sprint network. Voice coverage is weak and data is very slow almost everywhere. The next issue is that you can only use their phones. If you lose or destroy your phone, you can't buy an unlocked phone and add their sim card, it has to be their phone. If you want to travel overseas, they offer virtually nothing in the way of a reasonably priced international plan.

The contracts on all 5 phones expire either 12/24 or 12/26. We are going to be out o the country when the contracts expire, so I ported 4 of the lines over to AT&T this weekend (within the last month of the contract) and called today to cancel the 5th line (which hasn't been used since Aug). They are charging me $475 ETF ($95 per line) when the last months bill would have been $270 (which I have no problem with paying). We don't want to pay another month on the 5th line after the contract expires, but the only option is to call the day the contract expires. I told the customer service supervisor that that wasn't possible and she said too bad. They can't schedule a cancellation.

They may spout progressive rhetoric, but they are a totally inflexible company and the apparent savings are an illusion.

Avoid at all costs!

Customer Service
Their polices are unreasonable and inflexible.

• Customer Service:

Great service everywhere but my house

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Credo Mobile:

I was in the market for a new cell phone provider and I came across Credo Mobile. After doing some research I found out that they were using Sprint towers, which were good in my area so I decided to go with them. I signed up for the $40 unlimited talk, text, and 2 GB plan. I signed up for a iPhone on the Zero Now plan because it financially made the the most sense. When riding around my city I would enjoy 4G LTE speeds on a regular basis. It would from time to time revert to 3G, but it never lasted too long, but using my phone at home was a different story. I could barely get a couple of bars on my phone at home. I would have to stand by an open window or go outside to get an adequate signal. Since this was my main phone this presented me with a dilemma. I would miss calls, voice mails, and text messages all the time. I decided to exchange my phone and I experienced the same thing with my replacement. I learned to live with not expecting my phone to work well inside my house and actually grew to love the freedom it gave me, but once my installment plan was over I didn't renew my contract.

worst company ever

Comments about Credo Mobile:

I signed up for their progressive values but ended up quickly regretting it. They have horrendous customer service, are very overpriced, ad could not manage to activate a new phone they forced me to buy for over a week.

Call Quality
Uses sprint network which sucks in my area. Constant dropped calls will not let me cancel contract even though I have detailed list of dropped calls

Customer Service
Horrible. Staffed by well meaning but totally ignorant people. They took over a week to activate the phone they made me buy since they do not accept non-smart sprint phones.