Other Lawn Mowers:

Cons

Great for small lawns

from Hendersonville, NC

Comments about Craftsman 16 inch Reel Mower:

We purchased this mower as sort of a training tool for our son. We didn't want to let hi use the gas push mower because we didn't quite trust him with it yet, but he was eager to learn how to mow. We have a very small back yard so it worked great for that area. It cuts well and he was able to maneuver it fine. It is always a plus to not have to have any gas on hand for him to be able to mow the back yard.

This mower actually cuts well. I was surprised by how well the yard looked afterward.

Handling
It takes some muscle to push it, but it is great exercise and is better for the environment. It is also a little difficult to turn around and doesn't quite fit in some tight areas, but overall it handles well.

Safety
This was one of our main reasons for purchasing this mower. It is safe enough for a 10 year old to use and is great for teaching them the basics of mowing a lawn.

Engine Power
You are the engine! It is much better for the environment than a gas powered mower that has an engine.

Muscle Power

from Lawrenceville, GA

Comments about Craftsman 16 inch Reel Mower:

I have owned different types of lawn mowers and I find that sometimes it is better to use something that is dependent on gasoline. I very frequently use my push mower for mowing my lawn. It requires muscle power but I have discovered that it is a great workout. The grass is cut evenly every time as long as the blades on the lawn mower are maintained. I have the blades sharpened and so far have not had to replace them in the three years that I have owned the push mower. This is really great and good for the environment and certainly cheaper than buying gasoline for the power mower. I sometimes watch my neighbors trying to start their power mowers and have to laugh inside because I no longer have to spend my time pulling the rope to start the mower and it feels great. I have even lent my push mower to some of my neighbors when their lawn mowers would not start, and even they have been impressed by the performance although they do admit that it took some effort to cut the grass.

Comments about Craftsman 16 inch Reel Mower:

This was the first mower we used to mow our little lawn at our very first house over 24 years ago. We still have this mower and it brings back great memories whenever I get it out of the shed. It is not used very often anymore, as we have a very large yard now, but I do still use it a few times a year to mow next to our small raised garden beds.

Since this mower has no engine, it keeps going as long as you keep going! We have never even had to sharpen the blades and it still does a great job cutting the grass.

Handling
This mower is muscle powered and provides a great workout. It is hard to use if the grass is really tall, but works great for shorter grass and provides a great cardio workout.

We have had this mower for over 24 years and it still works great.

Safety
This mower can be dangerous for children to use.

If you have the muscle power to make this mower go, then it will work great. It is very easy to push once you get it going, but is sometimes hard to push in very tall grass.

Engine Power
Your muscles are the engine power, so as long as you have the strength to push this mower it will work great.

sub-par work

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Craftsman 16 inch Reel Mower:

Even though this is not exactly the season for grass cutting, I really felt a great need to rate this product. Personally, I don't like it very much. Well, Not entirely anyway. It takes too much to push it. It also gives you little control over how low you can actually cut the grass. I also wish they would make this a bit smaller. Maybe it would be easier to control then. I would say it has a basic level of average effectiveness for the price paid. It said that it allowed for 1/2 inch cutting ability but I have not personally experienced that. I would say that it would cut as low as 1 - to 1 1/4 inches. On the positive side though, it is cost efficient when compared to other more traditional mowers, It also allows you to get out and get some exercise too. Also, the steel blades are very sharp and have stayed that way since we purchased it quite some time ago. So, as far as efficiency goes, I'd have to be fair and say that this has it's pros. Besides, if you own your home and have lawn care expenses the Great States Blade Reel Mower could be an optimal choice. I wouldn't suggest this for people in the field of professional lawn care. This, in my opinion, this is most suitable for home owners with small to average sized lawns.

Good for smaller lawns

• Engine Power:

The Craftsman Reel Push Lawn Mower is perfect!

from Montclair, NJ

Comments about Craftsman 16 inch Reel Mower:

We love our Craftsman 16 inch Reel push lawn mower!  We decided to switch to an old fashioned push lawn mower, powered by good old muscle power only, after watching a movie about the environment.  We decided to do our share and get some exercise in the process!  We went right to SEARS, and the man there suggest this Craftsman push lawn mower.  We love it!  It's not that heavy and is easy to manuver.  It cuts nice and low to the ground, and the wheels in the front help to push down the grass as you get to it.  One of my favorite things about this mower is that it doesn't make any noise!  Power mowers make so much noise that you need earplugs to protect your ears.  Not us!  While using our push mower, we can still hear everything in the yard- birds, crickets and the kids in the nearby playground.  We can mow early in the morning without worrying about waking anyone.  And another great thing?  It isn't expensive at all!  Easy to use, affordable and good for the environment.  What could be better!