Other Baby Sunscreens:
Coppertone

Pros

Cons

• Absorption:

If you're white as a ghost, let me introduce you to your new BF

Summer is here and now, more than ever, it is important to apply sunscreen not only for yourself but for your kids. We have a couple of different kid sunscreens in our house (they  have my red headed blood, what can I say?). We have 2 that are specifically geared for babies. **One is Coppertone Water Babies**. The other is an organic brand.

**Quick comparison-- I promise, it is relevant...**On a recent trip I used the organic one more than usual and WHAT A DISASTER. Some got in my sons eyes once he started to sweat and it was puffy eyes and painful stinging for hours. It ruined his morning. Luckily, with some horseback riding and lots of eye flushing, we were able to move on after 2 hours. That's right. Two hours of pain! (and my son isnt a complainer) I **never **had this problem with Coppertone Water Babies.

**Now, onto why I like Coppertone Water babies best.**

1. Its reasonably priced and comes in large quantities
2. It's pediatrician recommended (can use starting at 6 months)
3. It is waterproof. It works for about 1.5 hours in the water (you need to refresh every 2 hours!)
4. It doesnt sting your eyes-- THANK  GOODNESS
5. I think it comes in a couple of different SPFs. Maybe 30 and 45. (I have 30)
6. It comes in spray and cream. We own both. I think I am partial to the cream, but both work just fine.

**The downsides, of course...**

1. Apply before you go into the sun (not really their problem!)
2. It feels like hand lotion-- which is nice, but kind of stinks! It has a very distinct odor

Coppertone Water Babies is a great way to keep your baby safe from the sun, stinging and tears :) It is a must- have in any parents medicine cabinet.

*Note: A friend of mine has a child with HYPER sensitive skin and he breaks out from any suntan lotion-- including this. My son, also has very bad eczema, but it doesnt seem to affect him.*

Keeps the sun off

I usually use the Coppertone spray version due to its ease of application, but had to purchase this lotion version while on a vacation and as a matter of dire need. It is a much heavier solution since it is a lotion, and therefore I noticed that my 13 month old was much more apt to rub it into her eyes or get it in her mouth since she could feel it on herself more so than she did the spray. It does provide great skin coverage and sun protection, but also makes much more of a mess on clothes than its spray counterpart. For long days at the beach or pool, I use the lotion since I can see it on my child and don't feel the need to reapply it as often as the spray. Also, with the spray, you can't always see where you've applied it and can tend to miss spots- with this version, you can tell just where you need to put it. I would definitely say that the lotion seems to be more waterproof than the spray.

ouch! my eyes

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

This sunscreen goes on smoothly and easily, not too thick for applying. It even smells good. However, something in it made my eyes burn, just from applying to my nose and cheeks. Same thing happened to my toddler. We both do have very sensitive skin, so the average person probably won't have this issue. It was terrible though. We were at the beach so I didn't have anywhere to rinse it off and I just had to deal with burning watery eyes until we left. On the plus side though, it does work well in preventing sunburns.

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

I have been using this on my son for 2 years now. It is the best sunscreen! He has never gotten burned one time, and we apply it on him before we go out in the sun, and then he usually gets 1 to 2 more reapplications depending on the amount of time we are outside (which will be anywhere from 1-3 hours). The scent is not overpowering or anything. It never burns his eyes or bothers him, like some sunscreens that get in kids eyes and bother them. My husband and I did research on all of the different brands of sunscreen and suntan lotions, and this brand was one of the best lotions for children, due to certain ingredients that are and are not in it. We read that the spray on sunscreen and suntan lotions are not as good, so I always buy the lotions only. We only use Coppertone lotions in our family, and I would highly recommend this brand sunscreen for all babies and children and adults.

• Absorption:

Great sunscreen but others work just as well at a better price!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

The Coppertone Water Babies sunscreen is a great sunscreen for little ones. I've even used it from time to time on myself. The problem that I have with this sunscreen is the price. There are other sunscreens out there that work just as well at a much better price. That is the reason that I don't use this more. If I found a sale on it then I would definitely use it again. This sunscreen works really well at protecting children's skin. It goes on smoothly and is easy to rub in/absorb. It spreads well, so it doesn't take forever to put it on. I like the 50 SPF for kids because they need that extra protection. Other people seem to like the spray sunscreen a lot, but I like the kind that you can rub in. It seems like you are putting on a thicker coat to me. I like this sunscreen a lot and would buy again.

This is a great sunscreen for protecting children's skin. It gets the job done.

To me all sunscreen pretty much smells the same. This just smells like another sunscreen smell to me.

Absorption
This absorbs in the skin pretty well and easily.

• Absorption:

Must have for babies that stay out in the sun!

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

Water Babies is a very good sunscreen for little ones and even for adults. I have a four year old and a one year old and Water Babies is a must have for when they are out in the sun. We live in South Georgia where it is extremely hot and the sun is always out. My kids are outdoor children who always love playing outside in the pool or sandboxes. Every time they go out that door we put this sunscreen on them and it hasn't failed us yet. My mom and dad used it on me and my brother when we were kids as well. My dad still uses it on his back due to breaking out from the sun. No other sunscreen formula works, except this one. It also isn't too expensive and comes in a pretty good size bottle for the price. It also has a pretty good scent to be a sunscreen. I definitely recommend this product to anyone with kids or even adults who are always out in the sun. I also recommend this product to anyone who breaks out due to this sun.

• Absorption:

As a pale girl, I love this stuff!

from Modesto, CA

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

I am extremely pale and I always get burned if I am out in the sun and I do not use sunscreen. I swear by baby sunscreen because it usually has a higher SPF and it usually has ingredients that are gentle on the skin. Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50 claims to work for 80 minutes of activity in the water (Although if you are swimming I would recommend applying it before that 80 minutes because lotions like this do tend to "wash" off). The formula is free of any type of added fragrance, dyes, and oil. The formula is also hypoallergenic. I loved this sunscreen, and it really protected my skin. If you are thinking about using this on a baby though, I am not sure how well it will work for them since on the bottle it says for children under the age of six months to consult a doctor before use.

Absorption
This stuff absorbs in to the skin really quickly, I used more than a generous amount and it worked its way in. You are left with a bit of a sticky kind of residue though.

• Absorption:

Great sunscreen for sensitive skin!

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

I am extremely impressed with Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50. I used this sunscreen on both my infant and my toddler. We recently vacationed to Florida and needed a high quality sunscreen to use during our visits to the beach. I have used Coppertone products in the past for myself and was always impressed with the results. The sunscreen went on smoothly and was very effective for the entire period of time I was out in the sun. I saw very similar results with my infant and toddler. The sunscreen went on smoothly. It absorbed into their skin very well, and I felt confident that this product would protect their sensitive, pale skin from the harsh rays of the sun. I was correct. Neither of my children got a sunburn. I was concerned about a possible rash from using this product because both of my boys have sensitive skin. They did not break out in a rash and this sunscreen did not irritate their sensitive skin. Overall, I am very impressed with this sunscreen and plan to continue to use it!

• Absorption:

This is a go-to product for my family.

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

I have purchased this product for my family since my children were babies. We have been nothing but thrilled with this product each time we have purchased it. The only suggestion I would make to the manufacturer is that if you are making a product for babies, you need to make sure it is tear-free. This product is not. It is the only downfall I see for the product. And it does sting if it gets in your eyes. Other than that, the product works. I have never had my children get a sunburn through this product. We are very pleased with this sunscreen and would recommend it to use on all parts of the body except the face and hands.

I have never had my children get a sunburn when using this product. It is extremely effective.

I love that this sunscreen is so mild to non-existent with its scent. Some kids (and parents) do not like using a sunscreen with a very strong smell. it is hard enough to wrestle sunscreen on antsy kids without them complaining about the smell. This product gets NO complaints from my kids.

Absorption
This product does tend to leave your skin white, which sometimes makes me question the absorption. However, that being said, my kids have never been burned with this product. Obviously, it works. I would rather have my kid look white than be sunburned.

Gentle product, great protection

from Lagrange, OH

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

I have four children under age seven, and last summer this Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen with SPF 50 was my sunscreen of choice! I love how gentle it was on their skin. My kids tend to have sensitive skin, and even on my baby girl, this was very gentle. It never caused any breakouts. Most importantly, it offers excellent protection. With applying it as per directions on the bottle, I did not have any problems with my kids getting sunburned. It withholds well to sun, water and sand. The fragrance is light and non-offensive. It absorbs well in the skin without being too greasy. While I obviously tried to avoid their eyes, I never had problems with this getting rubbed in their eyes and resulting in irritation. It is a very gentle product that is easy to use and is highly effective. I will definitely continue to use this Coppertone product in the hot summers to come, and it gets my full recommendation.

• Absorption:

Protective sunblock that works for sensitive, easily burned skin

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen with SPF 50 is one of my favorite sunscreens because it works so well for my skin. I have very fair, sensitive skin that burns easily and quickly, so I have to be vigilant about wearing high SPF sunscreen. Because this comes in SPF 50, I feel more confident wearing this sunscreen than some of the other sunscreens I have on hand. While I prefer to use products with more natural ingredients, I haven't yet found a more natural sunscreen that I like yet. And so, I usually turn to this sunscreen. It protects my skin decently, but I do have to reapply every so often because I burn so easily. Even when I forget to reapply this product, it still protects my skin from getting bad burns even as it's wearing off. As someone who's gotten second degree burns just from being outside, I can recommend this product as effective and protective.

Effectively protects the skin from the sun. Just remember to reapply every two hours or so.

Typical sunscreen smell.

Absorption
Absorbs easily and quickly into the skin when applied.

Excellent Highly Rated Sunscreen

Comments about Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 50:

Excellent Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen. Water resistant for eighty minutes. Tear-free. #1 Pediatrician Recommended. Highly related by Consumer Reports. Not too pricey. Works well. Pours out a bit fast but you are supposed to apply liberally and reapply every 2 hours or after swimming for 80 minutes or towel drying.