3.9
Other Magazines:
Cooking Light

Cooking Light

3.9

Cooking Light gives me a creative and healthy insight to cooking

Cooking Light magazine is one of my favorite magazines to read.  Their recipes offer a range of menu options and are targeted to someone exactly like me.  If you're interested in cooking and love food in all its varied and complex forms, but you don't want to ingest a pound of butter every time you eat dinner, then Cooking Light is for you, too.  Every month they feature a recipe that's a slimmed-down version of an old favorite.  I look forward to this feature, as it helps me to feel like I'm balancing new and interesting flavors with meals I don't want to get rid of, even when I know they're not good for me.  These monthly recipes have helped me increase my cooking repertoire, rather than making me feel relegated to a lifetime of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and steamed broccoli. While I frequently read other cooking magazines and cookbooks, Cooking Light has really helped me to learn what works for me and my family in the kitchen.  We crave bold flavors and interesting textures, and Cooking Light has helped me to see that we can have low-fat, low-calorie meals without sacrificing taste.  Mine is a family that delights in food, in eating together and in creating our family space around a table.  Cooking Light has made that an even more enjoyable time for us.

Ok for a while, but really repetitive

I was offered a free year subscription to this magazine and decided to take them up on this deal.  At first I was really interested in the part of the magazine that re-vamps old, unhealthy recipes to make them taste just as delicious but be a lot healthier, but these recipes often got really expensive.  The ingredients the recipes throughout the magazine use are not ingredients that most people have on hand or that are very budget-friendly.  While the meals are often extravagant, even  the meals that claim to be quick and affordable are not that.  It also seemed that month after month after month the issues were repeating themselves.  I understand that it's a magazine about cooking, but each issue had the same articles and features but with just a few small differences.  I didn't even bother opening the last 4, I just sent them straight to my mother-in-law.  When given the choice to renew or not, I obviously chose not to.

Cooking Light - NOT - I want my money back

Comments about Cooking Light:

I picked up a recent copy of this so-called light cooking magazine recently and was appalled by the HIGH FAT, HIGH CARB, HIGH SUGAR in recipe after recipe after recipe. Not any attempt at all to make recipes lighter and tastier. No wonder AMericans are getting obese! HINT: Making smaller portions of high fat, sugar and carb does not a light meal make. Guess what i can do that too, and don't need to spend my money all this spin.
I want my money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could'nt live without this magazine!

from Longmont, CO

Comments about Cooking Light:

I subscribe to this magazine and I love it! I am an avid home cook and most of the recipes I make come from this magazine. They also have a great online community that reviews the recipes and suggests alterations. Many of the recipes are quick and easy weeknight meals. I like that they include many simple, comfort food type recipes.

The best overall cooking magazine.

from Fort Myers, FL

Comments about Cooking Light:

I am reviewing Cooking Light Magazine.

I have been a subscriber of Cooking Light for 10 years and have never gotten tired of it like other cooking magazines like Southern Living and Gourmet.

For me, Cooking Light has kept my interest over all those years because the magazine has articles on all sorts of things.  Not only are there delicious recipes, the articles on health, fitness, beauty are also very interesting.  They always do a segment on taking a favorite fat filled recipe and have their staff reduce the calories and come up with the same great taste.  The recipes are healthy and tasty.

I love that they recommend beauty products in some of their articles so you can go to the drugstore and department store and get them.

I really don't need anymore recipes, but I will always subscribe to Cooking Light because it keeps me feeling young and healthy. In my opinion, it is the best overall "cooking" magazine out there.

Not For the Ordinary Kitchen

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about Cooking Light:

I ordered Cooking LIght because being a nurse I am very interested in cooking healty nutritious meals that are not diet busters. I am very disappointed in the recipes in this magazine because most of the recipes have too many ingredients and are too complicated to make on a daily basis. So many of the ingredients are not things that one would normally have in a pantry or would be ingredients that would only be used in one or two recipes. I am a fairly knowledgeable cook but some of the ingredients are things that I have never heard,would not be able to easily obtained and would not be liked by many people. I think this magazine needs to be marketed as a gormet cooking magazine; it would be suitable for a gormet cook.

Cooking Light: Great Inspiration for Healthy Cooking

from Livermore, CA

Comments about Cooking Light:

Cooking Light is an inspiring lifestyle and cooking magazine for those trying to make health-conscious choices.  This magazine has an array of features that make it attractive to any home cook, whether you prefer exotic recipes with lots of ingredients or simple ones that you can make when your kids are hungry and whining for dinner.  I like the recipes in Cooking Light because of their diversity; the magazine does not advocate any particular diet (i.e. vegetarianism, raw foods), but rather encourages readers to approach eating (and living) with a holistic, positive approach.  The magazine has regular features on exercise and travel, but you will return to this magazine largely for the recipes and cooking advice.  Each recipe has a complete nutritional breakdown, which makes it easy to choose recipes to fit into any diet plan, whether you are conscious about sugar or sodium intake, or just trying maintain a healthy weight.  A great magazine to share with anyone interested in food and health.

Ok for a while, but really repetitive

from Lawrence, KS

Cooking Light guarantees me good nutrition & interesting recipes

from Concord, NH

Comments about Cooking Light:

When we remodeled the kitchen we included book shelves to hold my favorite cookbooks and numerous issues of Cooking Light.  I have file cards to keep track of my favorite recipes. I like a magazine that stays on top of cooking trends while still being careful about nutrition. The articles are great, too, especially the visits to different cities and countries. I love variety.

Great, low calorie, flavorful recipes!

from Gainesville, GA

Comments about Cooking Light:

I have been receiving cooking light for years. I greatly look forward to each new issue that comes.  I am passionate about cooking flavorful, healthy recipes for my family and this magazine helps me get out of cooking ruts and offer new things to my family.  The magazine is full of new recipes but also great healthy eating tips and exercise suggestions. I  find myself encouraged and re-invigorated to have a healthy lifestyle promoted in my home each time i read.  My only criticism is that often the recipes contain too many ingredients and are therefore expensive to prepare.  I love the use of fresh herbs and spices and agree that they are healthy, but often a recipe will contain $10 worth of these.  As a wife/mom who is cooking on a budget, this can be challenging.  I would love to see some "meals on a budet" recipes in the magazine to help people like me have fresh, healthy meals that don't cause me to go over budget.

Too Many Advertisements

from Valrico, FL

Comments about Cooking Light:

Cooking Light has great recipes!  I've never been disappointed with a recipe that I've tried.  Unfortunately there are very few recipes in each magazine.  The magazine is comprised of at least 60% advertisements, 30% filler junk, and 10% actual recipes.

Lots of great ideas for eating healthier.

from Milan, OH

Comments about Cooking Light:

I got this to help with eating better. I love all the ideas that are in this magizine. The recipes are interesting and there are a wide variety to try. The index at the back comes in handy. However there are a lot of pricey ingredients in some of the recipes, and the list can be long,so they aren't too practical. However some of my favoriets are out of this magizine!! I love they way they are not afraid to use some "bad" ingredients to keep the flavor. I learned alot from this magizine, and plan on to keep learning.

I really like where they take a readers recipe and lighten it up! What a wonderful ideas. It gives you a good idea of how it can be done.

You can get the Cooking Light annual cookbook offer and have all of the years recipes, what a great deal!!