2.8

• Coverage:
    • Plan Options:
    • Features:
    • Customer Service:

Need a reliable cell phone carrier? Try Consumer Cellular...

The first I had heard of Consumer Cellular was by glancing at an ad in AARP Magazine.  I started out on the family plan with my father and now I have my own account which was by the way a really easy switch that took no longer than 10 minutes.  The customer service is great and the personnel is very knowledgeable about their products.  When my phone wasn't working on a Thursday I called them up and my new phone was delivered to me by the following Tuesday. Sure you can go to the store to pick out a phone but, the website is so easy to get around you can order your phone any time, day or night.  The activation fee is $35. for all phones.  A basic but quality Nokia phone featuring a speaker is free, but if you are looking for extra perks they start at $25. and up for extra bells and whistles. It all depends on what you want - whatever it is, they have it.  With all that said, I highly recommend Consumer Cellular if you are looking for a decent cell phone for a decent price with decent customer service.

Poor customer service

saw the ad in AARP magazine; needed a plan that was less expensive than the T-Mobile plan i was using.

signed up to them online january 4th for the $19/200 minute plan and awaited a response via e-mail...nothing.
waited a few days and thought, hmmm, maybe it got lost...
signed up again the following sunday via their website january 11th and did the same thing again...this time got a response saying they will respond to me within 1 business day...i waited the week and...nothing, no answer.
went to their website and filled out their customer response page and said to them that i applied twice and got zilch from them; what kind of customer service was this for a new customer-to-be?
received an e-mail today saying thank you for my interest in them but apparently they did not approve my application and did NOT explain at all what happened to my previous 2 tries in applying...i've had t-mobile for 5 years and at&t for 7 years prior to that and now they say i have not been approved w/o a reason.
it was a one line response with no further explanation as if some flunkie just got a job there and did not thoroughly explain anything to me...
lousy service...went ahead and lowered plan @ t-mobile instead...

POOR QUALITY

from McAlester, OK

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

No reception, dropped calls, .....no help from customer service. Worst service company out there.....besides UAL.

no contract

from coloma michigan

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

this phone service is fraudlent. your on a no contract prepay plan and when you cancell your service they call you and tell you that you owe them money. how can you owe money on a no contract prepay phone service? they charge me 79.00 dollars after i cancelled and said they are going to charge me 10.00 more a month until i pay them. i refuse to pay what i dont owe so they had collection agency call me and say i signed agreement with them and they are lying. i never signed anything. i only talked to them on the phone never any paper work between us

the law of diminishing returns has set in

from Orlando, FL

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

they used to be cheap and friendly and capable. Now they are just cheap. If you build a better mousetrap, it may be trampled by the stampede. Keep shopping consumers, this is not the place to park your cell phone. Trust me.

Horrible horrible customer service.

from Kansas

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Horrible customer service. Do not suggest this company at all. Plans might be cheap but not worth the customer service that you get. On the phone 30+ min with a "representative" only to get hung up on when I ask for a supervisor.

Disappointing service

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Since Consumer Cellular is heavily promoted by AARP in mailings and on the website, I thought I would share my disappointment in Consumer Cellular after giving them a try. I ordered the service with much difficulty, then received a sim card in the mail. Two representatives on two occasions said I could activate at the end of the month and would not be charged, but when I called to activate I learned I was charged from the beginning of the month. I could dispute the charge when they bill came or I could cancel because I was within 45 days and there would be no charge. They left me no choice but to cancel. Receiving totally different information and dealing with a rude phone representative was too much. I was hoping for decent service at a better rate. I got out before it was too late.

Consumer Cellular rocks

from Carrollton, Texas

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

They have excellent support and service...Thanks!!!

They'll tell you whatever you want to hear

from Redmond, OR

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

This company is a joke, all talk. The representatives take advantage of their elderly customers and many times sell them what they don't need. I was always adjusting accounts of over sold customers paying FAR to much for their plans. Half the calls you receive as a call center employee are angry customers who have phones that won't work, the other 47% is of customers who want adjustments or to use the warranty plan or pay a bill. Don't be fooled, because the company will sucker you into believing you will make all kinds of money in sales but you won't because all of the sales go to the new people in training who have no clue what their doing, don't receive bonuses and often sell the customers something they don't need. You might make a few sales but most likely you will make unnecessary sales. Oh and fyi, the "leaders" will not understand any honest mistake you make, you will be written up over every honest mistake without hesitation and if you dispute anything you will be fired without a second thought. I would give 0 stars of I could. Other companies may cost more but you get what you pay for. Tmobile has always been great for me even though I pay more I would not switch because I always have coverage, never get dropped calls and I talk to a person without holding if I need to make an adjustment. Oh and just so you know, they tell their employees "customer service doesn't mean customer satisfaction". So there you have it, that's consumer cellular in a nutshell.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Good Plans - poor customer service.

from Oregon

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

I have been dealing with a problem with my phone for over a month now. Customer service reps stated that I would receive a new phone but a "supervisor" seems unwilling to abide by their decision. Seems like that ore not on the same page.

absolute worst of them all

from las vegas nevada

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

gave them a try because I'm an aarp member and they advertise with aarp and give you 45 days free to decide if you want to join them..big mistake.i can only speak for the las vegas Nevada area.very bad reception.5 miles from my home and phone didn't work.dropped calls.customer service is horrible.you have to wait 15 or more minutes to talk to someone.they give you 450 free minutes and 450 minutes free text.and free mb for the internet.but the mb time on the internet is about 10 minutes.thats where they get you If you decide not to sign up with them.they say that you went over the free internet and they charge you.i cancelled after 3 weeks and it cost me 171.74 because of the internet.it was suppose to be a free trial .my advice is they are not very reputable.stick with the best if you want to avoid problems.it was really bad

Ridiculous service... a joke...!

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

This company did fine until we had to switch carriers -- because CC has no overseas capabilities -- and we were told several times by CC that our phones were unlocked when they were not. 3 hours of our time and T-Mobile reps' time wasted because CC couldn't get their story straight and get the task done -- oh, and why were our phones locked after they were paid-off? Pay-off should cause an automatic unlocking. T-Mobile folks were fine though.