2.9

• Coverage:
    • Plan Options:
    • Features:
    • Customer Service:

Need a reliable cell phone carrier? Try Consumer Cellular...

The first I had heard of Consumer Cellular was by glancing at an ad in AARP Magazine.  I started out on the family plan with my father and now I have my own account which was by the way a really easy switch that took no longer than 10 minutes.  The customer service is great and the personnel is very knowledgeable about their products.  When my phone wasn't working on a Thursday I called them up and my new phone was delivered to me by the following Tuesday. Sure you can go to the store to pick out a phone but, the website is so easy to get around you can order your phone any time, day or night.  The activation fee is $35. for all phones.  A basic but quality Nokia phone featuring a speaker is free, but if you are looking for extra perks they start at $25. and up for extra bells and whistles. It all depends on what you want - whatever it is, they have it.  With all that said, I highly recommend Consumer Cellular if you are looking for a decent cell phone for a decent price with decent customer service.

Poor customer service

saw the ad in AARP magazine; needed a plan that was less expensive than the T-Mobile plan i was using.

signed up to them online january 4th for the $19/200 minute plan and awaited a response via e-mail...nothing.
waited a few days and thought, hmmm, maybe it got lost...
signed up again the following sunday via their website january 11th and did the same thing again...this time got a response saying they will respond to me within 1 business day...i waited the week and...nothing, no answer.
went to their website and filled out their customer response page and said to them that i applied twice and got zilch from them; what kind of customer service was this for a new customer-to-be?
received an e-mail today saying thank you for my interest in them but apparently they did not approve my application and did NOT explain at all what happened to my previous 2 tries in applying...i've had t-mobile for 5 years and at&t for 7 years prior to that and now they say i have not been approved w/o a reason.
it was a one line response with no further explanation as if some flunkie just got a job there and did not thoroughly explain anything to me...
lousy service...went ahead and lowered plan @ t-mobile instead...

The phone for the man

from Florida

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

I have this company. It is a build-a-phone thing I think. The plans and phones are good. I have an android phone on a $10 plan or so, no web or text for me. I am enjoying the way to talk and plans your way, no high costs. The truth is the phones may me pricey but last a long time. I chat on the phone and mess with my ringers. I got some google play FREE apps and the web and used a usb cord to transfer the files to the phone, no data pays and high costs.
Please get this plan, only get charged or what you use!

DO NOT use Consumer Cellular

from MESA,AZ.

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Spent $350 on one of their smartphones and it quit working within a year and they would not honor the warranty. Go to AT&T or Verizon. At least they honor their warranties. Also the rep at C.C., Sarah, was totally rude and out of line.

BUYER BEWARE.......worst experience I ever had with phone co

from Tustin, ca

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

It is not the product it is the PR, ..............................................................I placed my
order and than before I got my phones(5 days) the person canceled my current phone line with SPRINT. I Had no way of running my business. The so called supervisor just kept saying in a condescending manner.......we all know what it is like to be without a phone as she picks up her weekly paycheck.
They did not even have enough professionalism to have it shipped to me overnight. I got miss information which cost me more time and money. All I got was we are sorry a hundred times every time I was put on hold and had to wait to talk to someone else that had no idea what they were talking about. BUYER BEWARE!.....NICE DOES NOT MEAN SMART!!!!!!!!!!!

no bars

from Corbett, OR

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Coverage outside Portland is very poor. East Mulnomah county has no coverage.

Horrible Customer Service and Products

from Hilo, Hawaii

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Absolutely horrible customer service and products. The basic flip-phone they provide at present, the Envoy, is a Cracker Jack box phone. Management is manipulative - they give you a phone that works extremely poorly, then railroad you into an upgrade at cost.

We have been on the line, mostly on hold, for over four hours to get three Envoys replaced since you can't hear anything if there is background noise (ie. restaurant, on street). You are forced to listen to a barrage of commercials while they place you on endless hold hoping you will drop the call.

Consumer Cellular - no customer support and you will need it

from ca

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

pay for text but text never active. on hold for customer support multiple times for hours. when finally got thru they said it was a phone issue and not CC. amazingly later that evening texting worked. Unfortunately upgraded phone a Christmas; got new SIM card from CC but now cannot call or access VM. sometimes can receive calls....but of course all I get "all customer representatives are busy, please continue to hold"....this service is pointless. they charge you monthly for service they cannot provide and make it difficult to get any help....argh. changing provider....

So glad i have Consumer Cellular.

from lake park Ga.

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

I am disabled and i use my cell phone everyday, i needed a company i could depend on, I really love the easy setup and great customer service, I had an At&t pantech cross over iphone that i used, after receiving the Sim card from Consumer Cellular i replaced it with the old At&t Sim card and the phone works great, The website is easy to use you can pay your bill, Check your phone usage, and even change plans without talking with a customer service rep., I really recommend Consumer Cellular if you are looking for a great Cell Phone carrier.

Good company to have for your phone service !

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

I am a fairly new customer with Consumer Cellular. I left my former cell phone company, of which I had been a customer for about 8 years. I opted to go with Consumer Cellular about 4 months ago, as their offer for our family was much better than I had with my previous company, at about one-third the price! Yes, I said one-third the price. I feel that Consumer Cellular really has the customer in mind, especially if you are a senior. You get fair pricing on your account, the data plans, minutes, and other selections can be adjusted each month according to your needs. I really like that option because "one size does not fill all." Between the new pricing for my family of 4 adults, it just made much more sense to get what we need as a family and tailor it to our usage of data and minutes. Much better control of the cost each month. And now that I have been with them for four months, I can really see that I am getting all that we ever needed on a per person basis, without paying an exorbitant amount for data. I am a senior and I don't need x-amount of gigabytes that I will never use and cannot be rolled over. Whereas our two adult children use most of the data we selected in our tailor made plan. It just makes more sense. Consumer Cellular was recommended by a friend and I am so glad I took the plunge. I estimate that I have saved hundreds already, versus having stayed with my former cellular company. I would recommend Consumer Cellular. If more companies would offer their plans this way, they would probably make money, since the senior population (baby boomers) are getting older and there are more of us than ever before. We don't need all the bells, whistles and every "new fangled" phone option out there. Because my former company does not take it into consideration (the seniors, that is), I dumped them for a more senior-friendly company and I am getting just as good service, if not better than I had before at one-third the cost. Love it !!

Don't call support if your battery isn't fully-charged

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

The only time I experienced dropped calls was when on hold, waiting for a Consumer Cellular customer service agent. Having to call 5 times and spend more than 2 hours waiting isn't the way you retain customers. If one is willing to endure this frustration it's a reasonable value.

BEWARE! Their 3-in-1 SIM card broke my phone!

from Los Angeles

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Their SIM card which is "ALL IN ONE" comes in three pieces which came apart in my phone and broke the SIM slot. Brian S., the supervisor just argued with me saying, "We are obviously not responsible with what you do to your phone". He wouldn't give me the name of his supervisor, claiming "They are not available". Not to mention that I haven't had a workable network in a week. This is the WORST Company. They really are amateurs and don't care at all. And, all they do is promote themselves on their recording as you wait an 30 minutes to talk to someone.