2.9

• Coverage:
    • Plan Options:
    • Features:
    • Customer Service:

Need a reliable cell phone carrier? Try Consumer Cellular...

The first I had heard of Consumer Cellular was by glancing at an ad in AARP Magazine.  I started out on the family plan with my father and now I have my own account which was by the way a really easy switch that took no longer than 10 minutes.  The customer service is great and the personnel is very knowledgeable about their products.  When my phone wasn't working on a Thursday I called them up and my new phone was delivered to me by the following Tuesday. Sure you can go to the store to pick out a phone but, the website is so easy to get around you can order your phone any time, day or night.  The activation fee is $35. for all phones.  A basic but quality Nokia phone featuring a speaker is free, but if you are looking for extra perks they start at $25. and up for extra bells and whistles. It all depends on what you want - whatever it is, they have it.  With all that said, I highly recommend Consumer Cellular if you are looking for a decent cell phone for a decent price with decent customer service.

Poor customer service

saw the ad in AARP magazine; needed a plan that was less expensive than the T-Mobile plan i was using.

signed up to them online january 4th for the $19/200 minute plan and awaited a response via e-mail...nothing.
waited a few days and thought, hmmm, maybe it got lost...
signed up again the following sunday via their website january 11th and did the same thing again...this time got a response saying they will respond to me within 1 business day...i waited the week and...nothing, no answer.
went to their website and filled out their customer response page and said to them that i applied twice and got zilch from them; what kind of customer service was this for a new customer-to-be?
received an e-mail today saying thank you for my interest in them but apparently they did not approve my application and did NOT explain at all what happened to my previous 2 tries in applying...i've had t-mobile for 5 years and at&t for 7 years prior to that and now they say i have not been approved w/o a reason.
it was a one line response with no further explanation as if some flunkie just got a job there and did not thoroughly explain anything to me...
lousy service...went ahead and lowered plan @ t-mobile instead...

Good Plans - poor customer service.

from Oregon

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

I have been dealing with a problem with my phone for over a month now. Customer service reps stated that I would receive a new phone but a "supervisor" seems unwilling to abide by their decision. Seems like that ore not on the same page.

absolute worst of them all

from las vegas nevada

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

gave them a try because I'm an aarp member and they advertise with aarp and give you 45 days free to decide if you want to join them..big mistake.i can only speak for the las vegas Nevada area.very bad reception.5 miles from my home and phone didn't work.dropped calls.customer service is horrible.you have to wait 15 or more minutes to talk to someone.they give you 450 free minutes and 450 minutes free text.and free mb for the internet.but the mb time on the internet is about 10 minutes.thats where they get you If you decide not to sign up with them.they say that you went over the free internet and they charge you.i cancelled after 3 weeks and it cost me 171.74 because of the internet.it was suppose to be a free trial .my advice is they are not very reputable.stick with the best if you want to avoid problems.it was really bad

Ridiculous service... a joke...!

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

This company did fine until we had to switch carriers -- because CC has no overseas capabilities -- and we were told several times by CC that our phones were unlocked when they were not. 3 hours of our time and T-Mobile reps' time wasted because CC couldn't get their story straight and get the task done -- oh, and why were our phones locked after they were paid-off? Pay-off should cause an automatic unlocking. T-Mobile folks were fine though.

Worst cell phone service I've ever had!!!

from Colorado Springs, Colorado

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Switched to Consumer Cellular, based on their commercials claiming to be the best in customer service. That is such a lie. I have never had so many customer service Representatives be so rude to me in my entire life from one company. And that is no exaggeration. Yesterday I called a woman who kept telling me over and over she couldn't hear me. So I kept raising my voice so that this woman could hear me. By about the 5th time I was yelling but not trying to yell as in an aggressive way. She then shouted at me, "Stop yelling at me! I don't have to take this!!!" So I apologize to this horrid woman. I then gently reminded her that she couldn't hear me which is why I spoke in a loud manner and she hung up on me. I then called the supervisor to report this woman and got another customer service rep who argued with me for 5 minutes in a very aggressive way, interrupting me every time I spoke and speaking louder every time I tried to speak before I got a manager. The manager in a roundabout way called me a liar stating that none of his customer service reps would act that way. Called back today about a phone feature that the aggressive woman that hung up on me yesterday never answered and the man was openly hostile stating I had complained twice and so why was I even bothering to call. This is a horrible, unethical, unprofessional company. I would never recommend this company to even my worst enemy.

Sprint doesn't work

from Colorado

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Sprint definitely does not work outside of Sprint

The phone for the man

from Florida

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

I have this company. It is a build-a-phone thing I think. The plans and phones are good. I have an android phone on a $10 plan or so, no web or text for me. I am enjoying the way to talk and plans your way, no high costs. The truth is the phones may me pricey but last a long time. I chat on the phone and mess with my ringers. I got some google play FREE apps and the web and used a usb cord to transfer the files to the phone, no data pays and high costs.
Please get this plan, only get charged or what you use!

DO NOT use Consumer Cellular

from MESA,AZ.

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Spent $350 on one of their smartphones and it quit working within a year and they would not honor the warranty. Go to AT&T or Verizon. At least they honor their warranties. Also the rep at C.C., Sarah, was totally rude and out of line.

BUYER BEWARE.......worst experience I ever had with phone co

from Tustin, ca

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

It is not the product it is the PR, ..............................................................I placed my
order and than before I got my phones(5 days) the person canceled my current phone line with SPRINT. I Had no way of running my business. The so called supervisor just kept saying in a condescending manner.......we all know what it is like to be without a phone as she picks up her weekly paycheck.
They did not even have enough professionalism to have it shipped to me overnight. I got miss information which cost me more time and money. All I got was we are sorry a hundred times every time I was put on hold and had to wait to talk to someone else that had no idea what they were talking about. BUYER BEWARE!.....NICE DOES NOT MEAN SMART!!!!!!!!!!!

no bars

from Corbett, OR

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Coverage outside Portland is very poor. East Mulnomah county has no coverage.

Horrible Customer Service and Products

from Hilo, Hawaii

Comments about Consumer Cellular:

Absolutely horrible customer service and products. The basic flip-phone they provide at present, the Envoy, is a Cracker Jack box phone. Management is manipulative - they give you a phone that works extremely poorly, then railroad you into an upgrade at cost.

We have been on the line, mostly on hold, for over four hours to get three Envoys replaced since you can't hear anything if there is background noise (ie. restaurant, on street). You are forced to listen to a barrage of commercials while they place you on endless hold hoping you will drop the call.