Other ADD Medicines:
Concerta
Concerta ADHD Medication

Concerta ADHD Medication

Very good at controlling symptoms as well as being yourself.

from Berwick, LA

Comments about Concerta ADHD Medication:

After many years of doctor's visits and different types of medications, my son's new doctor put him on concerta 27mg. This was the first time after 4 years of medication trying this and that, that this one actually let him be himself at the same time controlling his symptoms of autisum and ADHD.

After the first few days, I noticed my son playing on the floor with matchbox cars, I looked at my husband, and we both said at the same time that he had never done that before. It had always been video/computer games that caught his attention. We started noticing more and more after that. He will now go out and play, drive his sister crazy, reading books out loud. This was all things that the previous medications did not allow him to do. He seems to have more patience with things and more willing to socialize with his peers.

He still loves his games, but is becoming more and more an individual rather than a zombie from the other types of medications. Thank goodness!

Loved it until we tried Vyvanse

from Tulsa, OK

Comments about Concerta ADHD Medication:

We had my son on Concerta for quite some time, and frankly, compared to life without medication, it seemed like a God-send.  I was frustrated that it was so pricey, and that he constantly needed to have his medication levels increased.  Also, it was out of his system by the time he got out of school for the day, so I couldn't see any benefit in the evening and homework was a NIGHTMARE.  My son ate almost nothing, and frankly, it was really hard to wrestle him to bed in the evening.  But it enabled him to function at school, and his academics there improved so much that it seemed worthwhile.

But our doctor switched him to Vyvanse, which lasts for 12 hours, doesn't seem to cause as many problems with not going to bed at night and still worked almost instantly in the morning.  We wouldn't make the switch back for all the tea in China now.  So Concerta is a decent enough product, but I think there is something way better on the market.

Concerta is working great for my son

from Blue Ridge, GA

Comments about Concerta ADHD Medication:

Concerta is working great for my son.  I knew he was ADHD before I ever took him to a doctor.  I just kept trying to handle it on my own with diet and vitamins and behavioral therapy.  He is eight years old and is now in third grade and he was struggling so bad.  Especially with reading and language.  He is great at math, he enjoys math, it is easy for him.  But he didn't like reading and couldn't make himself focus on it.  So, I ended up deciding to try medicine for him.  I was scared to death of side effects and everything.  I really didn't want to have to put him on a stimulant.  And he is tall and skinny so one of my biggest worries was the decreased appetite.  He has never eaten much so I was afraid he'd eat almost nothing and lose weight.  Long story short, after lots of research and talking to doctors, we went with Concerta and it has made a HUGE difference!  He can focus so much better.  His grades have improved.  He seems to be happier.  He doesn't think he can't do it anymore.  I think it has been great for his self-esteem.  AND he eats better than he did before!!  I've seen no bad side effects yet!!  Concerta has been a life saver for us!  But with all medicines it is different for everyone, so even though it is great for my son, it may not be what works for you or your child.  But we love it!!

The only drug that works for me!

from Harlan, IA

Comments about Concerta ADHD Medication:

I was recently diagnosed with adult ADHD. At first, I had a difficult time coping with the knowledge that I have this disorder. When I was in school, people made fun of kids who had ADHD and they made fun of the disorder as well. But people don't understand ADHD - especially when it manifests itself in adults.

I originally thought something might be wrong when I could NOT seem to study for my college Anatomy class.

Here are MY adult ADHD symptoms:

- inability to focus on anything that doesn't seem particularly interesting to me

- severe impulsivity (not dangerous behavior, mostly just NEEDED to have something right NOW without thinking of the consequences)

- Hyperactivity - this manifests itself differently in adults than children. I do not wiggle and twitch and jump around. But I do feel "on edge" when something can't hold my attention and it used to be difficult for me to sit and watch an entire TV show from beginning to end without getting up. I don't like to sit still for long either.

- Finishing a project. Most of the time, I will lose interest in a project about half way through and I won't finish it.

- Disorganization - I lose everything!

- Forgetfulness. I can be holding something, set it down, and forget where I set it.

I started on 18 mg of Concerta at first. It wasn't enough and it wore of quickly. My doctor upped it to 36 mg and I still felt like it wasn't doing enough. So she upped it to 52 mg. THAT was a mistake. It DID help but the side-effects weren't good. My right eye developed a twitch. I couldn't sleep and I felt restless and agitated. So we went back down to 36 mg and it seemed to even it out. Now, I am able to focus more and finish what I start. I'm not so easily frustrated which is good news for my family because they felt the brunt of my frustration. All in all, I'm happy with this drug. On the 36 mg dose, I haven't had any bad side effects except for some sleep deprivation. I am also VERY sensitive to medications for some reason - I have tried lots of different medications for ADHD and they all had awful side effects that I couldn't deal with. I highly recommend that you try this med!

concerta is like divine intervention

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Concerta ADHD Medication:

I was recently prescribed Concerta ( 18 mgs x 2) in the morning by a child psychiatrist who diagnosed my adult ADHD correctly in 15 minutes after 5 years of false starts. Its trade name is *methylphenidate* although it is still under patent to Jansen Pharmecuticals so there is no generic form yet. Consumer Reports recently reviewed Concerta and compared it against Strattera (Eli Lilly) and found that Strattera was much more costly and effective in fewer patients. Although it is important to note that Strattera has the advantages of not being scheduled as a controlled substance and not being an amphetamine which allegedly makes it safer. Strattera is related to some anti-depressant drugs. I tried Strattera when it first came out and a colleague was kind enough to write me a prescription and dispense some samples. I merely got significant side effects and no symptom relief although some people swear by it.

The doctor said that if the Concerta worked I would not recognize myself and that is exactly what has happened. My hyperactivity has markedly decreased and I am once again able to be task oriented. I have no trouble sleeping, no increase in blood pressure and no decrease in appetite. I am quite wiry and wear a size 0 so that's important. ADHD is believed to be caused by the brain **overcompensating** for too little arousal and attempting to keep the individual wide awake. What time-release amphetamines do is to readjust the patients arousal level from hypo-aroused to a more normal level so that patients are paradoxically calmed down. This is exactly what has happened with me. I am less hyper and am sleeping and eating better. If you are an adult with ADHD please be persistent about getting the proper meds. Please note that ADHD appears to be very strongly genetic and most people with the disorder have close relatives with the same symptoms.