3.5
V6000T
Compaq v6000 Notebook PC

Compaq v6000 Notebook PC

3.5

Compaq Presario V6000 is a great value for students.

The Compaq Presario V6000 is a great laptop for students or for a home office user. I purchased my laptop in 2007 and I have been nothing but pleased with its performance. It is also a great value for your money. I have used my laptop for my online coursework, for organizing digital media (i.e.: digital photos and videos) and for the everyday online activities such as email, FaceBook, etc. I purchased the basic package but have found that it has still met my needs as a student and general online computer user. Some upgrading to the processor and graphics capabilities would be needed if someonewere interested in doing online gaming or using any heavy duty graphic design/digital imaging software on this laptop. I have also found that this laptop travels well and I have taken it on two trips since I started online courses. On both of these trips I had no issues with the laptop and was able to complete my homework even while I was out of town.

A great choice for the small business professional on the go

***Bottom-Line:*** The detailed features and functionality make The **HP Compaq nc6000 **is an excellent choice for individuals and businesses alike.

In selecting the new laptop-thirteen in...Read complete review

In selecting the new laptop-thirteen in all-for a small business client I was given a minimum standard that frankly wasn't that hard to meet in today's competitive business laptop market.  First and foremost was price; the company didn't want to pay above the mid-teens for each machine.  Second the computers had to have a DVD/CD-RW drive, USB 2.0, a built-in LAN port, built-in modem, a large hard drive, at least 512MB of memory, and a 14.1 SXGA screen (in the interest of size and portability).  After much deliberation the winner was the **HP Compaq nc6000** business notebook.

The first thing I noticed about the black with silver highlighted **HP Compaq nc6000** is its weight; these babies are light and modular, but still house a full sized keyboard with both a pointing stick and a touch pad.  With the small battery installed, the **HP Compaq nc6000** weighs in at some 5.7 pounds.

**Body **

As I stated above the body of the **HP Compaq nc6000** is a very attractive black with brushed silver highlights around the keyboard.  On the front of the unit are two *Premier Sound *16 bit stereo speakers.  On the far left there are buttons for increasing and decreasing the volume and another button that will allow you to mute the speakers.  To the left of these button is an IR transceiver.  Finally, between the two speakers is a silver button for releasing the display.  LED's for the CD-Rom access, hard drive, battery, power, and wireless sit above the left speaker.

On the right side of the laptop, near the front, sits the six-cell battery.  Also there are two PC card slots, and right below them is a port which will accept SD Media cards only.  Finally, on this side of the **HP Compaq nc6000** is a modem port and universal Kensington lock port.

On the left side of the **HP Compaq nc6000 **sits the Multibay which in our case houses a combination DVD/CD-RW drive, but can also house a 3.5" floppy, *DVD+RW; 24x/10x/24x/8x DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive; 8x DVD-ROM or 24x CD-ROM Drive*.  The removable hard drive sits to the left of the Multibay, and headphone out and microphone jacks sit to the left of the HHD.

On the back of the **HP Compaq nc6000** starting from left to right are the A/C adapter input, a standard Serial and parallel port, S-Video out, SVGA port, LAN port, and two USB 2.0 ports, while on the bottom of the unit is an expansion port for connecting the **HP Compaq nc6000** to two available Port Replicators.  Finally, there are two release latches for the battery and Multibay, while screws will release the hard drive and underneath the keyboard.

**Display **

I was under whelmed by the 14.1" display.  HP advertises it as bright, its not.  The display is instead rather dull, and florescent light makes the situation worse.  The display is certainly not idea for viewing DVD's, but adequate for editing or composing files.  The internal XGA display is capable of a maximum resolution of 1024x768 at (16M colors), while the SXGA+ is capable of 1400x1050 resolution at (16M colors).  The external video card, the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 4X AGP graphics controller works well with the external 19" flat screen monitor we mated each laptop with.  Of course you can toggle between the internal and external monitor via function keys.  I have noticed that there is a sharp and very notable difference between the two displays; the external shows more color and depth.

**Processor**

At first glance you might think that you are getting less performance with the *Pentium M* (Mobile) processor then you might expect.  After all, other Pentium 4 class processors are clocking in at speeds in excess of 3.06GHz.

But the Pentium 4-M utilizing the Northwood core is not as power efficient as Intel hoped it would be, so the company developed the *Pentium M* specifically for the mobile computer platform.  The *Pentium M* original CPU utilizes the best of both the Pentium III-M and Pentium 4-M.  The Pentium M is essentially a high performance Pentium III-M processor with more cache; e.g. 32KB\b vs. 16Kb L1 and 1024Kb vs. 512Kb, L2 cache.  While on the other hand the *Pentium M* utilizes some features of the Pentium 4, namely Netburst micro-architecture, the SSE2 instruction set, and a 400MHz bus speed, but at a lower CPU frequency thereby lowering overall CPU temperature and voltage utilization.  This translates directly into lower battery consumption.  Also, the *Pentium M* uses more transistors then either the Pentium III-M or Pentium 4-M; e.g. 77 million, compared to 44 million for the P-M and 55 million for the P4-M.

The *Pentium M* is available from Intel in two form factors: Micro-FCPGA (Pin Grid Array) and Micro-FCBGA (Ball Grid Array), and xix models are available, ranging from 1.1Ghz - 1.6Ghz with voltages from 0.844v minimum to 1.484v maximum.

In areas of performance the *Pentium M* bested or equals the Pentium 4-M running at 2.4GHz, but not as fast as a Pentium 4-M running at 3.06Ghz.  But in running the **HP Compaq nc6000 **I have noticed that the computer runs a lot cooler then all of the Pentium 4-M machines I have worked with, and consequently it runs a lot quieter while out performing comparably equipped Pentium 4-M laptops at this price-point.

**Hard Drive**

I decided to go with the standard 40GB 5400 rpm hard drive in order to hold down costs.  Some high end laptops now come with 7200 rpm hard drives, and the **HP Compaq nc6000** can be ordered with a 60GB 7200 rpm drive.  Other hard drives include a 30GB 4200 rpm, 60GB 5400 rpm, and 80GB rpm.  The hard drive in the **HP Compaq nc6000 **is designed to be removed; a screw on the bottom of the unit has to be removed in order to slide it out.**  **

**Ports**

I would have preferred to have the USB 2.0 ports on the side of the unit, as it is they are stacked one on top of the other on the back of the unit.  This placement will make it somewhat difficult to use two devices at once.  And I would have preferred more ports, but then again there are always USB hubs.  The included Secure Digital (SD) media slot's placement underneath the PC Card slots is ill considered in my opinion.  Any use of the PC Card slots would probably make inserting and extracting a small SD Card problematic, if not impossible without first removing what every card might be in the slot.

The included S-Video Out port is a nice touch, the serial port is old school, but I can see the need for a parallel port.

**My Viewpoint **

Overall I am very satisfied with my choice of the **HP Compaq nc6000** business class notebook computer.  The **HP Compaq nc6000 **gives us an excellent balance of portability (lightweight), performance, and best in class features. The seriously long battery life makes this unit ideal for the businessman on the go who spends a lot of time on the road without access to AC. The included *wireless/Bluetooth* functionality really notches up the versatility of the **HP Compaq nc6000.**  After all wireless is really starting to proliferate everywhere, and you never know where one might finds oneself and in need of Internet/Email access.

The above features and functionality make The **HP Compaq nc6000 **is an excellent choice for individuals and businesses alike.

Could be better

from Hustontown, PA

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

My Compaq V6000 has a 80 gig hard drive one gig of memory with a AMD processor with integrated Nvidia graphics and a DVD writer multi drive. The preloaded software tends to slow down the boot  up and shut down time.  I would recomend uninstalling the programs you are not going to use and get the maximum memory as the Vista Home Premiun is a memory hog.  I had no problem this laptop until shortly after the waranty period had expired. I had down loaded a microsoft update and my sceen died.  I called Microsoft thinking is was a update issue and the representative ask what laptop I was using and told me that Compaq had issues with the motherboard on this particular laptop and worked with HP and I to get my laptop repaired and at no cost to me. I have had no problems since.  Reliabilty is a big concern when purchasing expensive electronics and great customer service is a plus. There are better choices out there if you have the money to spend.

Battery Life
my laptop is more than four years old and the battery still hold a charge for about 1 hour

Speed/Performance
was mid range for speed and performance at the time of purchasr

love the feel of the keyboard

still looks almost new and has been heavily used

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

It is better than most

from Champaign, IL

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

Overall, I like my machine.  It has had several issues with the Vista system software, but that's new software for you.  I have also had problems with the CD/DVD drive as it always disconnects from the system and is unrecognizable and I have to go into the registry and reconnect it.  I truly wish this problem could be solved, but I think it is a Vista issue.  I do like the look of my machine and the quick service I receive when I have a problem. It is thin and light and looks very sleek.

Great but has some quirks

from Ringgold, GA

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

I love this computer.  Sometimes it cuts off spontaneously and the sound doesn't work but it has it's days.  It is very good for playing games and working online.  I am a college student and am always downloading documents for school and it has a high capacity for storage of files.  Very fast! The games are awesome on this computer! It has never froze! The cd disk has stopped working for a week but starting working again. This computer has it's own personality but is a great product!

low end model

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

The keyboard on the NC6000 will go bad. It starts with the keyboard and then one key at a time will stop working. we have 50 in my office and 39 so far have had there keyboard replaced. simple fix is to hook up an USB keybaord but that does no one any good.

I have never liked laptops before but this one is great.

from Inman, SC

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

I have to keep up with a website and this computer has been perfect.  I have had it for about 4 months and NO problems.  I would highly recommend this computer to anyone looking for a lower priced yet reliable computer!  I am online all the time networking and this has never let me down.

Interested in a good computer till it dies 6 months later.

from Jeffersonville, IN

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

If the Motherboard had not gone dead in 6 months this would be a great computer.  This WAS a great gaming computer.  It was also fast on the net.  The Compac V6000 also has serious heat issues and a lack of USB ports. This computer had no stamina.

I love my Compac, and would definitely buy another!

from Elm City, NC

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

I would highly recommend buying a Compac laptop. I have used mine for the last 2 and a half years with no problems. The only thing that quit working was the battery cord which was easy to replace and that was after a 2 year use!

The Presario V6000 is the Best!!!

from Dunn, NC

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

I recently ordered a Compaq Presario V6000.  The laptop works fast and at a steady paste.  It has everything I wanted in a laptop.  I can listen to my music because I could download iTunes.  Most of the time I am working on school work by the fast working internet.  The Presario has Internet Explorer and Safari.  I could even download FireFox.  My Presario is black.  It has a big screen there for I can see everything that I am working on at one time.  The color is very bright and pretty.  I love the laptop.  I wish that I could have another one like it.

Love my compaq, does what I need

from Bradford, PA

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

The Compaq presario is a nice size laptop. I bought it 2 years ago and it has done everything I have needed to do. It is light weight, making it easy to carry, but has lots of features. I tend to take my laptop everywhere with me so I like that it is not bulky or heavy. It usually resides on a tv tray in my room. It fits into most attache style bags, so very compact.  I like that it has a dual processor. Several windows can be opened at the same time & two different accounts can be open at once. It is great having a built in cam, speakers and microphone, but nice that the option to do so is available through exterior ports for you. Having 3 USB ports is handy, as well as the SD/MS/Pro/MMC/XD slot is also nice, making downloading pictures easy and convenient.

At a touch the volume can be muted, or turned up or down. The picture quality is really good compared to many laptops I have seen. It serves many purposes for me, as a radio, a tv & for movies, holds all my favorite patterns, I shop here, all my music, my favorite books, I even talk to friends and family on it. The voice quality is very good, just like talking on the phone. I can download and burn all my favorite media using the DVD/CD-R. There is also an expansion slot to hook up an external monitor, if you want a full size screen to work with. One downfall is the 13" screen is a little difficult to see ar times, but I usually do not have a lot of problems.

When I bought it, it came with the choice of XP or Vista, I must say I am not a great Vista fan, so I opted for the XP Pro. All the software I owned works with it, as well as the software that came on the laptop. I had never used a mouse pad before I got this computer, but I think it is one of their better inventions. I love not having to hold a mouse, I have arthritis and it can be very uncomfortable for me, but with the pad, just a touch of my finger and the arrow goes where ever you need it. The keyboard has all the perks of a full size one, but in half the space, making reaching the keys much easier.

I had always owned desk tops, but since owning my Compaq I would never go back. I love the freedom of owning my laptop. If anything were to ever happen to it I would get another one in a minute. I really like it a lot. One of the best computer I have owned.

This was a stable laptop and Inever had any problems in 3 years

from Streetsboro, OH

Comments about Compaq v6000 Notebook PC:

I have owned the Compaq Presario v6000 model laptop since around November of 2006. I have never had any problems at all with this particular product and I would recommend it to anyone in need of a reiliable, durable, and medium powerful laptop. One down fall that the laptop had was the graphics card. When I first got it I decided to purchase a few games and a controller for it in an effort to play games as well as network on it, but I quickly found out the graphics card was unable to handle even the simplest store bought arcade game with decent graphics. Do not get me wrong it will play basic games such as tetris, mind sweeper, and chess just not the hard core games or ones with decent graphics. Other than that one downfall it has been and still is an excellent product.