1.8
Columbia House DVD Club

Columbia House DVD Club

1.8

Too much mail

When I first signed up to Columbia House DVD Club I really didn't give it as much thought as I should have. I took only the short term into consideration. The one thing that's great about them is they keep the most on trend and relevant movies advertised on the front web page for you to find quickly. There prices are not the best though - unless you are a member and you purchase more than one movie at a time to be eligible for the best prices. There are small advantages but big obligations to fill. You only have to buy one more DVD but they are generally over 24 dollars. On top of that, you have to pay the shipping and processing for that so called free DVD. Also I absolutely hate getting all of those thick mail packets filled with colorful pages of new movies for my children to pressure me about. Every time I turn around it seems like there's another mailing from Columbia House DVD Club. I wish they would space them out quite a bit more.

Product Selection
nice selection but better prices at your local drug store.

Technology isn't all that it is cracked up to be

Years ago, like everyone else, I bought my record albums and tapes through Columbia House, because quite frankly, you got more bang for your buck-especially when they rewarded you with free items after a certain number of purchases, and discounted specials, and a vast catalog of choices that you couldn't readily find elsewhere.  So when I received the e-mail solicitation for the DVD club, I thought it would work out just as well....Boy has the world changed and not for the better.  All the features that sound great on the surface are not as they appear.   Paperless feature requests online:    Logging into their site is not an always easy thing-passwords don't work, or you can't access the page you are looking for to decline a featured selection and the result is that you wind up with something you didn't order.  According to the website, this is easily corrected by going into the shipping record and checking a box to request a return tag (which takes forever to get, and then when you send the item back, they tell you that they don't accept returns after 30 days-even if unopened)  If they do credit your account for the returned items, they tack on $3 late fees, because you didn't pay for the item.....and they don't tell you up front, that for a purchase to count toward your membership fulfillment total, you must check a box to indicate that you wish this item to be applied to your membership agreement.   Alot of the items in their catalog will not cover as fulfillment of the membership agreement because they don't cost $19.99 or greater, but they don't tell you this, and you order things expecting your purchase requirement to go down, and it doesn't.   Then you must be very wary of the special offers...which don't count toward membership fulfillment.  (Used to be that you had to fulfill the membership requirement to receive any special offers or discounts, but not any longer)....they flood your box with e-mails, and you are never sure if hidden in that message is a director's selection for you to consider, accept or decline.  I paid for the initial order online, by credit card, and the credit card was compromised and I had charges turning up all over the country that were not mine.  Citibank had to launch an investigation.  I had to fine tooth check every credit card statement, to highlight the things I had not purchased and then have signed and notarized statements indicating that these were not my charges.  The card had to be cancelled, and I was without a credit card for over a month while investigations continued to track who was trying to use my card.  In the meanwhile, I contacted Columbia House and alerted them not to charge anything further to that card because it was being cancelled due to breach of security.  Evidently, they cancelled my account and opened a new account as well, because suddenly, I am receiving double the volume of e-mails, and even though I was certain that I declined selections, I am getting boxes in the mail repeatedly filled with things I didn't order from them.   I am also receiving multiple envelopes from them with bills for things that I didn't order and didn't receive, or returned immediately to the post office without even opening them.  In examining these bills,  I discovered two distinct and separate account numbers active (which isn't supposed to even be possible under their system)  The only thing I can conclude is that the original account was never actually closed.  Now they claim that I owe a membership fulfillment on both account numbers even though one account was entered in error (and I believe it was on their part)  I sent letters to customer service along with e-mails trying to get everything merged, so I could finally fulfill the membership requirement and end this nightmare.   I got a response indicating that there was now only one active account number, and that I had one outstanding DVD purchase to submit payment for, along with two more to finish the membership requirement.   Being an honest person, I responded to that indicating that they had forgotten to answer my request regarding the return labels for the unordered merchandise which I wanted to make sure that they got back.....A day later, I get another response that tells me the first e-mail was incorrect and that I now have to purchase four more selections to fulfill the requirement, pay late fees on the items that I didn't have the requested return tags for, and that they didn't have to accept the returns anyway because it was over thirty days....In essence, I got no credit whatsoever for the items I did order and purchase.   It is so tempting to just contact them and ask what the total dollar amount would be to make them go away and never contact me again....this has been nothing but a nightmare for over 8 months.  It is nothing like the Columbia house program that I remember, and when you compute out the required purchases in dollar amounts, you are not saving anything over purchase from a local merchant for the same items.  When you add in shipping and handling (and some areas there is a sales tax requirement) you are actually paying more than you would via retail outlet.  And given the problems I have had with them, I wonder if anyone ever makes it to the point in the club where they get bonus dollars to apply to future purchases or potential free selections.  I also wonder if anyone has figured out that by the time you get to that bonus or free selection, you have spent about three times what you would have to go and buy the DVD in a retail outlet.   I would love to hear from others both good and bad.   I requested that they put my membership back to the traditional paper return card method, but now I am not receiving the notices as frequently as I should, and still have the problem with not getting them in soon enough to stop the shipment of materials which are unordered and unwanted.   So even going back to the old fashioned snail mail way of doing business doesn't seem to help.   In the snail mail envelopes, you have a mountain of paper encouraging you to use the online process and save paper.   But without the paper trail, it is much easier to get sucked into buying more than you are required to under the original terms of the membership.

Bad bad bad!

from Florida

Comments about Columbia House DVD Club:

Columbia House has been around forever and in the past they have been pretty good. But boy have they gone down hill recently.

I recently placed an order with them because they were having a special. So I picked out the movies I wanted and waited for what seemed like forever until they finally showed up.

From the time I placed my order to the time they were actually delivered was 60 days. Then when I tried to cancel my membership with them it took two hours on the phone with a customer service rep and then a supervisor to get the issue resolved.

It was easy enough to get the order placed, but the issues that came from trying to cancel my membership took away from that.

Product Selection
They do have a decent product selection I will give them that .

Product Pricing
They rope you in with good prices and then Jack it up once they've got you hooked.

Customer Service
Two hours on the phone with customer service is outrageous. They really need to outline all the information clearly when you are joining the club.

• Product Selection:
  • Product Pricing:
  • Customer Service:
  • Shipping and Returns:

Too much mail

Product Selection
nice selection but better prices at your local drug store.

• Product Selection:
  • Product Pricing:
  • Customer Service:
  • Shipping and Returns:

This Is One Club That You Do Not Want To Be A Member Of.

Comments about Columbia House DVD Club:

I would never want to do businesses with any company that does business like Columbia House does. One of my close family members saw an ad for the Columbia House Dvd Club and thought that it sounded like a good deal. They went ahead and joined without really looking into all of the details. Sure their deal would sound great to anybody that didn't read the fine print, 3 dvd's for $2.99 each and all you have to do is buy 3 more dvd's at regular price over the next year. It seems like a good deal until you realize you have to pay shipping, processing, and taxes on each dvd. These expenses add around another $8.00 to each movie, which wouldn't be too bad if it stopped there but it doesn't. Over the next year you have to buy three more movies at regular price to fulfill your club membership requirements. Each of the three movies you have to buy have to cost at least $19.95 to count towards your required three purchases, and that's before shipping, processing, and taxes. My family member got involved with this club and then asked for my help to figure it out, so I went online and read all of the fine print. If you get the introductory dvd's and don't buy the other movies that you are required to they will still charge you $25.25 for each one you were supposed to buy. The other thing this club does is they send you something each month either through the mail or through your e-mail about a new movie, if you don't write them back within ten days they will automatically send you this movie and bill the credit card they have on file. They will continue to do this every month until you end your membership. If you are considering joining the Columbia House Dvd Club I suggest you go to their website and look at their prices, and read all of the rules and fine print before you make any decisions. If you've already joined their club I'd suggest returning the items as soon as possible and getting your money back, and if it's too late for a return then just hurry and buy the required amount of movies and end your membership. If you already joined you might as well buy the rest of the movies that you're supposed to because they will still charge you for them even if you don't buy them, and then your out money with nothing else to show for it.

Kind of a rip off

Comments about Columbia House DVD Club:

I remember ordering from columbia house years ago. I was underage and they let me order without my parents permission, so I believe they should really look into that better. At the time columbia house offered cds, so that's what I ordered. I did it through the mail and checked the box that said bill me later. Therefore, I didn't need a credit card. I recieved my cds decently quick and my parents never knew about it, so parents beware! I got several bills in the mail, but never paid them. I have ordered from them more recently and they never said anything about my bill from years ago. This time I used a credit card and had every intentions of paying them. This time I ordered dvds and I don't think they offer cds anymore. Now you can order 3 dvds for a very low price, plus shipping and handling and they keep that price hidden on their site for as long as possible because it's a little high. You used to get 6 or 7 cds or dvds I think. The catch is, you have to buy 3 more dvds at regular price in the next year and their regular prices are high so it's not really worth it. They do offer sales, but if you buy a dvd on sale, it won't count against the three. Also, every month they will charge you for a random dvd and send it to you. Sure, you can return it and they will credit you back, but who wants to do that every month. I did what they asked of me so they wouldn't report badly on my credit and then I canceled my membership. It's really not worth it.

Good place for cheap dvd's

Comments about Columbia House DVD Club:

I am a huge fan of movies and I have a wonderful collection at home. That is a huge part to Columbiahouse.com. It is a wonderful place to get cheap movies. The one thing you have to remember is that you sign up for a membership with the requirement of ordering a certain amount of dvd's within a certain time period. They give you like a year to order your required quantity and it is not an outrageous amount required. They have some of the best titles and I have found movies there that I couldn't find anywhere else. After signing up for Columbia House, I also received a brochure in the mail for children's movies. That was great for my young daughter. I like places like this because when money is tight, having movies on hand is a great thing. I would recommend Cloumbiahouse.com to anyone and have. My sister loves it as well. It is a great place to get movies and I will say if you try it you will like it too.

Friends Don't Let Friends buy From Columbia House!

Comments about Columbia House DVD Club:

Please. Stop. Turn around. Run away from this site! Columbia House DVD Club is just ridiculous! Sure it starts off great when you sign up with whatever they are offering at the time. They got me and how stupid I was! You have to buy so many DVDs for over $19.95 or it won't count and pay $3 each for shipping. They say that their prices are great with 60% savings for club house members. But come on! One movie sells for $29.99 and I can go to Target or Walmart right now and get it for $5 less with no membership to buy it. They try everything they can when you purchase an item for it NOT to go towards your membership total. They are constantly sending unwanted items even if you check the little box not to. But I'm the one getting charged for them & waiting forever for my refund. I wouldn't let me kid take my credit card and run all over town buying things, but they think they can. Their titles are not 'Just Released' when I can go to Redbox a rent them there ( Redbox releases New titles 30 days after it goes to DVD ). Most the titles they have , I could walk into a pawn shop and purchase for $3, even Blu-ray.
Over priced.
Unwanted credit charges.
Lacking Selections.
Poor Customer Service.
And just a bad idea.

JUST SAY NO...

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Columbia House DVD Club:

Years ago, I was a member of their record club , remember those? My son came across some of my vinyl in the garage and thought they were some type of Frisbee. Kids can be so cute when it comes to antiquated technology. The website is a huge pain in the you know where. Navigation issues, log in issues. $3 charge on products that you return such as the ones you didn't order. You know those automatic shipments you must decline before they are sent every month. I have received incorrect movies because they were out of stock and instead of telling me this, they decide upon themselves which movie to send in its' place?! Seriously?! Another problem is read the actual requirements to fulfill your obligation because most of the time when you think you are? Guess what that movie doesn't apply. Personally I feel once the obligation is finally met that the auto shipments should stop but they won't until you call them and tell them to. Good luck!

This is a scam

Comments about Columbia House DVD Club:

I hate this company. This company made me so mad in the past. The reason is because of the scam like promises that they made where you can get 10 of the latest DVDs for only 49 cents. But what they don't tell you in the fine print is that you have to keep purchasing the DVDs afterwards on a regular price basis which is often more expensive than what you can purchase otherwise, so essentially, you make up for all the savings that you have gotten with the commitment that you make.

You try to cancel, but they do not accept your cancellation claims and so you are stuck at an endless cycle of trying to reach them to no avail. It's very shady and I hope that they are out of business right now because this is absolutely unacceptable.

They call you frequently and harass you to pay up for the DVDs, but they won't accept your cancellation, so what can you do? Finally these people stop contacting me, but man are they a hassle!

Do not join the Columbis House dvd club!

from Holt, MI

Comments about Columbia House DVD Club:

Do not join the Columbia House DVD Club!  The great deal you get at the start is not worth it.  Any savings you made with the initial package will be eaten up when you make the rest of your orders to fulfil your agreement.  Last Christmas I ordered 3 dvds through a link that promised by Christmas delivery by paying an extra few dollars for expedited shipping which I did.  I was supposed to receive my order within a weeks time, 2 weeks later and Christmas Day, no order.  I received my order (with the charge for faster shipping on my bill) approx. 4-5wks from the time I ordered.  Since I had not received my order as promised by Christmas, I had purchased the dvds from a store and no longer needed the ones ordered from the club.  I sent them back following the directions the club suggests for returns.  2 weeks later I receive the same shipment again (we are now at the end of Jan.), I return them again.  2 weeks later I receive 1 of the 3 dvds from my orginal order again.  Again I return them.  In March I receive a bill for 2 of the dvds plus the shipping.  It took several emails and phone calls and approx. 2 hrs of my time to finally get my account credited for my returns and back to zero.  Trying to stay positive I was hopeful this was a 1 time total mess up on their part and would not happen again.  I ordered 3 dvds for Christmas this year, 5 wks before Christmas, 3.5 wks have passed and guess what, no shipment so far.  I am no longer hopeful.  And it appears this is just how they do business.  DO NOT JOIN THIS CLUB!!!

takes less time to pick movies

from Hot Springs, VA

Comments about Columbia House DVD Club:

I recently joined the columbia house dvd club and I have enjoyed thoroghly it makes it less time consuming to search for specific dvds and new titles.  The time and the drive to movie stores are eliminated and you get a good selection of movies. This club has helped me to catch up on the movies I have missed and for a reasonable price.  I also love the fact that I do not have to stand around in the store looking for a particular dvd.