Other Canned Goods:
College Inn
College Inn Chicken Broth

College Inn Chicken Broth

Serendipity Soup!

Sometimes making your own soup gets a little complicated, especially if you aren't used to cooking something like that.  A few years ago, I was determined to make a pot of my very own Navy Bean Soup.  There I was, early one peaceful Sunday morning, with my navy beans which had soaked overnight and were now drained and washed carefully, plus a nice ham bone all set to go in a soup pot.  I had other ingredients standing by to add in later on and I was even following a **recipe** (for God's sake!) which instructed me to first cover the beans and meat with water and bring to a brisk boil.  After that I was supposed to lower it to a simmer, add the other ingredients, and spend the rest of a blissful quiet day basking in wonderful aromas.  That was what was **supposed** to happen but the reality was that I had been working long exhausting hours of overtime at the Bank and when I sat down to wait for the things to come to a rapid boil, I fell asleep.

An hour later I woke up to thick black smoke smothering my place.  I opened a window and the smoke billowed out and up toward the sky.  Meanwhile, one of my neighbors had noticed smoke churning under my front door and had called the Fire Department.  I phoned them immediately and told them there wasn't a REAL fire but by that time shiny red trucks had pulled up in front of our building, eager bystanders had gathered to see what was going on and neighborhood dogs were barking.  By the time I got down to the front door, a Fire Department person attired in full gear and holding an ax was using a cell phone to call for additional support from neighboring fire departments.  We got it all straightened out, I apologized profusely, no one was charged for a false alarm, indeed all responding personnel were very nice to us and brought in a machine to suck all the smoke out of the building.  Someday, everyone may **finally** forget about "*that time Anna tried to make Navy Bean Soup*" but my point is that sometimes **making soup can be a little** **complicated**.

Now there is something to simplify things a little -- ***College Inn Chicken Broth***.  Somehow I accidentally ordered the 48 oz. size (THE BIG CAN) from Peapod several months ago and frankly had forgotten about it.  A little kitchen reorganizing this week caused the can to surface at the very moment that I had two large leftover cooked Perdue Chicken Breasts in my fridge.  By happy coincidence, it turned out that I also had some fresh veggies on hand.  ***Serendipity*** -- that's what it was -- a happy circumstance that hadn't been really planned but which I now took advantage of.

**STATS:**

A cup of this canned broth is considered to be a single serving which contains 15 calories with 10 calories from fat.  There is one gram total fat, zero each saturated and trans fats, zero cholesterol, total carbs, dietary fiber, and sugars, one gram protein, and -- **oh yah** -- 930 mg. sodium.  That's right, that's **39%** of your sodium requirement for the day but the fact is that you aren't going to really eat a whole cup of this broth -- just a **little bit** of it mixed with a lot of other stuff.

**SERENDIPITY SOUP:**

I heated up the 48 ounces of ***College Inn Chicken Broth*** in my poor old weather-beaten soup pot (the very one which the nice ax-wielding Fire Department person had peered into years before and asked "*Were you trying to **cook** something?*")*,* then tossed in the two chicken breasts cut into little pieces (about three cups of meat), plus a pound of those little carrots, a whole bunch of celery, a pound of fresh sliced mushrooms, a chopped onion, some dried parsley flakes, a dash each of cooking sherry and coarse black pepper and finally two cups of water.  This time I was awake when it came to a rolling boil and lowered it to simmer.  That's the nice thing about making soup -- although it takes a little more chopping than I would usually prefer -- once it's ready and simmering away, that's it.  There's nothing else to do but taste a dish of it for lunch, have some more for dinner later on, and either freeze or refrigerate servings of it for future use.

**HERE'S ANOTHER NICE THING ABOUT SOUP:**

As long as you don't fall asleep and someone calls the Fire Department, another nice thing about making homemade soup is that you are calling the shots and deciding what ingredients will go into it.  As time goes by, you can experiment with your own ideas and ingredients and the results will almost always be delicious.  I may try different kinds of canned broths and some ambitious souls may try to make their own broths.  You may want to try something else and that's okay.  Whatever we do, homemade soup is our own concoction and we don't have to just open a can and hope for the best.  Of course, there are some very fine commercially prepared soups out there but sometimes it's fun (and more economical) to make your own.  As time goes by and you gain a little experience, somehow it gets to be less complicated.  One thing for sure is that products like ***College Inn Chicken Broth*** make your own soup quicker and easier to prepare.

**TASTE TIP:**

When soup is done cooking, turn off the heat and leave the pot on the burner to cool off gradually.  It will still be hot for a long time, but the flavors seem to be better when it is allowed to sit for a while.  My own experience has taught me not to add egg noodles or rice to the pot of soup.  Instead, put a serving of hot steamed noodles or rice into an individual serving dish, then ladle a serving of Serendipity Soup over it.  Combining the rice or noodles with the rest of the soup at the last minute seems to better preserve the character and flavor of each.

College inn is a basic broth

I have used the College Inn broth and stock products on various occasions.  I used to be a vegetarian (not a  vegan...  I ate egg and dairy products).  Obviously since I am reviewing chicken broth I am not a vegetarian anymore, but I first started using this brand because they also sell vegetable broth.  Anyway, while cooking with college inn chicken broth my recipes have all turned out well (making tomato sauce and for two different types of soup).  The flavor is good, a bit salty, but any type of broth or stock is going to be salty.  Unfortunately, I believe that this product does contain monosodium glutamate (msg), so if you are trying to completely cut msg out of your diet than you will want to get another brand (I believe Swanson has a msg free chicken broth).  Regardless, College Inn is good quality, and the price is very reasonable.  Also, this line does offer a lower calorie product (but I will warn you, the flavor is not as good as the regular).  Overall a very good product, though not really special compared to any other chicken broth at your grocery store.

Winter favorites

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

There is something about chicken broth that I find comforting and familiar. That is probably a common feeling for some of us. I truly enjoy the College Inn Brand Broth for quite a few reasons. I love the flavor of it. It isn't too salty, the way powdered bullion is. It also lacks nothing in flavoring. It isn't bland in taste. It has a very warming full bodied flavor to it. It is also about 10 calories a cup. A great little snack to tide you over between meals without maxing out on calories. I also enjoy cooking with it. I marinade my thanksgiving turkey in it for 24 hours in the chicken broth prior to cooking it. I never have a dry turkey when using College Inn Chicken Broth. It is very inexpensive as well. I tend to keep some on hand for the majority of the fall and winter months. Overall, there are many ways to use College Inn Broth and I enjoy using it on a regular basis. I feel confident in saying I will continue to use this product for a very long time.

Great all purpose broth

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

I can't remember where I purchased this but you can't find it everywhere. It's a great tasting, all purpose store bought broth. I prefer it to several other brands I've tried. It's great for replacing the water when cooking rice. It adds a lot of flavor to many different dishes. I highly recommend it.

Pantry staple for the winter time

from Seattle, WA

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

I have tried many chicken broths from the can and I still buy others when it is cheaper, but if I had to choose I will still pick College Inn's chicken broth.  I find other ones tinny flavor if that makes sense, and does not have that nice inherent sweetness from the chicken when you boil it down.  Of course nothing beats homemade, but in a pinch it will do. As I consider it as one of my staples for the pantry for those days you want a stew or soup or just a simple broth for the winter times when you have colds.  It doesn't have that many herbs in swimming around but you can always add those and fresh ones will have a crisper flavor anyways.  This works well as a simple broth to drink on its own as its the family preferred choice and is flavorful when using it as a quick soup base for making some chicken noodle soup.  It holds it's own against different ingredients and doesn't get washed away as it retains it rich, sweet flavor and is not too salty when cooking making it easy to adjust for the dish you're making.

A review of Chicken Broth??

from Morris Plains, NJ

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

I can't believe that they are actually looking for a review of College Inn Chicken Broth but they are so, since I use it regularly, I will oblige.  I am not a gourmet cook by any means but I do alright for a self-taught Scottish woman.  I like to coook a variety of simple dishes for me and my family and many of these require chicken broth.  It is a great ingredient that is tasty and adds some flavor and consistency to dishes.  It is slightly salty but works very well with other ingredients that include a wide range of everyday ingredients.  It is best used for soup and I love to make soup.  Open the can and voila...it cranks the soup up a notch.  I also use it for chicken dishes like Marsala and Cordon Blue and it is very reliable.  You can save a few cents and get the store brands but this one does the trick and has so for years so I continue to "splurge".  I feel that it makes my homemade soupd better than thiose that I could buty in the stores.

College Inn Chicken Broth a rich home cooked taste.

from West Mansfield, OH

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

College Inn Chicken Broth has so many uses and it is a must have staple in my pantry. I cook "from scratch" everyday for my family. I believe it is important to give them the best and healthiest ingredients possible. College Inn is very flavorful and gives all my recipies that made from scratch taste. If you have ever made your own chicken broth you know the hours and labor it takes, with College Inn all that is done for you. My family cannot tell the difference. With a busy schedule, getting dinner on the table as fast as possible is very important. Having this wholesome ingredient is a pure staple. Its uses are never ending, it can go from "homemade chicken and noodles" to stir fry. Use it any place that you would like that extra bang of flavor. College Inn is also very economical for that kitchen that works on a budget. It is impossible to make a quality product at home for the price you pay for College Inn. I come from a long line of wonderful home cooks in our family; we believe that food brings the family together.  I can remember as a little girl standing beside my grandmother on the farm making homemade noodles and a wonderful chicken broth.  She used to tell me that she would only use College Inn brand as it stood the test of time with her friends and family. Now as a grandmother myself, we raise our own meat and vegetables on the same farm, I would not serve just any ready made broth to my family. I take personal pride in the quality of food that I serve my family. I love hearing my granddaughter say "mmmm Mimi, more please". I know as I share my secrets in the kitchen with her as I did with her mom, the tradition of good for you food will carry on. My personal  favorite during cold and flu season I make a recipe my kids call Moms Medicine. It is a quart of College Inn chicken broth,  1 cooked and shredded chicken breast, 1 carrot sliced thin, 1 rib of celery sliced thin. Put all in a large soup pan and cook until vegetables are soft. Serve with some saltine crackers and hot tea.  Usually, after a good bowlful of Moms Medicine everyone starts feeling better.  Sometimes a bowl of soup with cure anything.

Great taste & worth the price no expensive at all

from Commerce City, CO

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

THis has great taste and easy on my budget.  It has home made taste.  It is low in calories  It is great for liquid diet options Makes a great broth for any occasion.   It can be used a lone or with vegetables and more.  Try it you wont be sorry you did

Salty and metallic in flavor

from Camp Lejeune, NC

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

The price was right on the College Inn chicken broth, but you get what you pay for.  It wasn't a horrible experience.  But I found the broth to taste slightly metallic and entirely too salty.  I am very glad I tasted the broth before adding it to my recipe, as I had to completely omit the salt from the dish.

I will not buy this again if my normal broth is available to buy.  However, I can live with it if my favorite one was out of stock when I needed to buy it.

great starter ingredient for any dish!

from Tampa, FL

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

I like knowing that I can add flavor to just about any dish without having to add extra calories! I am very excited about the new flavor--with coconut. It will probably be great as a base for a veggie soup!!

Outstanding

from Ann Arbor, MI

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

This broth is one of my favorates.  It works well with almost any ingrediant and is great with spices.  You will need to watch for the sodium content, its pretty low and it is ver, very salty.  This broth makes a lovely base for soup and has great flavor.  This is only havlf of the reasons why I like this so much.  You will have to cook it yourself because the company belives that homemade soup is economical, but the tase alone will blow you away.  This is a great replacemnt for water becasue it is thicker and has a better texture with salts and spices.  Homemade soup is healtheir, that is why they make you make your own soup and is very low in calories.  This is a great clear liquid diet option sice it is so healthy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               I am writing this for gaia.....

College Inn Chicken Broth Tastes Great!

from Bonney Lake, WA

Comments about College Inn Chicken Broth:

College Inn Chicken Broth tastes great! I bought this because it was less expensive than the more popular brands. I was sceptical because at that time I had not heard of the brand. It tastes no different than the more expensive brands. I was surprised because I think it tastes better and is much less expensive! Overall, I would buy again and again!