Other Grills:

Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

It changed the way I eat when camping!

My husband and I go camping once a year, for 10 days.  Its not true wilderness camping, but we do stay in a tent.   We used to spend the week on cold rations, eating out and warming cans of Chef Boyardee in the fire (ick).  Last summer we bought the Coleman Roadtrip Grill, since it looked more useful than a standard camp stove, and we could use it at home too.  We bought the stove top accessory also, so we could do more than just grill.

It was a dream come true!  We were able to cook real meals.  All of our friends kept using it too.  The propane lasted longer than I expected, and you can buy an attachment to use a big propane tank instead of the little cylinders.  Cleanup was pretty easy, though th drip tray got pretty gross. I  had trouble seeing when it was lit, as the blue flame is hard to see on a sunny day.    It doesn't grill as well as a regular gas grill, or anything like the charcoal I'm used to, but it was far superior to hot dogs on a stick over a fire.  We even made chili once, on a cool evening.  I may have to get the griddle accessory and make pancakes this year.

Setting the grill up wasn't a challenge, though my husband has trouble folding and unfolding it.  It may just be him...

I definately would recommend this grill for camping and tailgaiting.

More work than cooking for 200 friends INSIDE our kitchen!!!

This Coleman was once a great grill and excellent for camping. BUT, it is just TOO old for us now!!!! We have a family of five, and to cook for all of us on a charcoal grill is MORE work than cooking for 200 of our friends and family inside of a kitchen!!!!! But, aside from THAT, it was a great grill. Very portable. Nothing too fancy, just basic. It is on the same level as any other charcoal grill. I recall that the price was very reasonable, which was the main reason that I purchased it. However, it definitely is time for a new one! It just is not the greatest for at home back-yard cooking anymore for a family of our size. AND if you throw in a few friends, I have to grill ALL day. By the time I get done grilling lunch, our friends are ready for dinner!!!! AND, I haven't even eaten yet!!

This is not something I would buy again.

from Drakesboro, Ky

About Me Avid Griller

Pros

Cons

• Breaks Easily
    • Difficult To Clean
    • Poor Design

• Patio

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

This grill looked great but appearances are deceiving. The wheels fell off within the first month of using it. The burner was too close to the grates which caused uneven heating and constant flare ups.

This grill seems to use more propane than other grills of its' class. This grill does not travel well. It seemed like every time I took it somewhere something always broke on it. The grill would also randomly slide open when carrying it which pinched my fingers more than once.

The leafs were unstable and would just fall off the grill. I was constantly re-installing the slide off shelves because the stops didn't work well. After a year and a half it caught fire and melted because it wouldn't shut off.

Great grill for road trips!

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

We have a small camper and try to camp along the way to our destination. We also try to eat as many meals "in" as we can. We invested in the Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill a couple of years ago and could not be happier with this purchase. This little grill is perfect for our needs. It is easy to set up and take down and does not take up a lot of room in our camper. I like that it operates on propane. I find that our food cooks quickly and evenly. It is also very easy to clean and maintain. This grill is very sturdy and the construction is sound. This grill is very easy to set up, transport, and operate. I like the fact that it has wheels and rolls easily from place to place. This grill features two burners and these burns operate independent of each other. This is key for when you are grilling foods at different temperatures. I highly recommend this portable grill if you are "on the road" a lot during the summer months. It is well worth the money!

This did not disappoint.

from Springdale, UT

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

This is a viable replacement for larger natural gas grills.I was searching for something portable,but that would cook large portions of food with relatively good flavor.It obviously isn't on the same level as say,a Weber,but it delivers in other areas.
    I can cook two packs of sausages and half a chicken on this thing at once.I use this for days at the park or beach so I have numerous people to cook for.The way it cooks the chicken makes the seasoning really seep into the meat.The chicken is juicy and I typically make pulled chicken dishes.It comes out that tender.
    The sausages are nothing to brag about.They get the grilled taste on the outside,but sausage is sausage right?

I enjoy making simpler meals like grilled cheese on this too.I've never tried making steak with this.It doesn't seem like it'd turn out too well.The simple assembly is what gets me too.It was a matter of me snapping the legs in place.
    It adds an exciting aspect to family outings.

Convenient for travel!

from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Coleman grill. It is light enough for travel and small enough to fit in our small apartment yard.Nice to have the propane feature instead of carcinogenic charcoal.

Dependable and easy to use small refills.

Versatility
    Great for the beach,tail-gating and at home.

Easy for the inexperienced griller.

Not much to clean up. Breaks down for easy clean-up.

Very durable. Have had for several years.

small for tight spaces.

• Versatility:

Great for camping and tailgating

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

When we had season tickets for football, we would tailgate every week. It was enough that we wanted to invest in a grill that was portable and easy to use. This was the grill we ended up purchasing. It easily fits into the car and is light enough to easily put into and out of the car. It is stable and sturdy, even on ground that isn't 100 percent even. We have since used this grill for camping and on picnics as well. For a portable grill, it cooks very well. It heats up/starts very quickly and easily and we have always been happy with the results. It cleans up fairly easily as well and cools down fairly quickly making it easy to pack back up into the car.

It grills great regardless of where you are using it.

This is easily portable and very easy to get started and cook on.

The one down side is that it does seem to take a while to clean this grill

This grill has been tail gating, gone camping and been used for picnics all over the place. It has been on all sorts of terrain and stood up well to whatever condition it is in.

This grill is light weight enough to make it easily transportable. It also folds up quite nicely making it easy to store.

Wonderful protable Grill

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

This is a wonderful portable grill which is easy to carry on the camp or can have bbq at the garden areas. This grill is fold-able so does not need much space to store. Simple to use, just turn the bottle of propane on and the grill is ready to heat your food. All in all the very nice sleek grill within a reasonable price.

Overall performance is very good. I am totally satisfied

Versatility
    It can grill pork, fish, meat and has side ways for moderate heating.

The wheel make it easy to roll down anywhere. The legs can be removed and you can use it as table top or keep on ground as well

It uses propane so you can get rid of charcoal which is very mess affair. Hence it is very easy to clean

A durable grill. Though I feel the wheel should have been of stainless steel rather than plastic

One can not ask for more in terms of design. you can comfortably grill (with low high heat modes) and enjoy your outing

• Versatility:

Not perfect, but a great addition to my camping equipment.

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

I purchased this because I needed a stand-alone grill as rustic horse campgrounds don't typically provide wood picnic tables and I didn't want to damage my heavy plastic table.
    I use the hose connector for the larger tank, which I transport in a milk crate.
    The configuration for the drip tray and the hook to support the 1 lb propane tank are absolutely stupidly engineered. I cannot remove the drip tray while the tank is attached.
    Cleaning the cast iron grates can be troublesome when rustic camping and water is a premium; however, spraying with non-stick spray ahead of time helps.
    The chrome drip pan, beneath the grates is the worst possible design for cleaning. I always have to leave that cleaning for when I am at home. Also, the ring around the actual burners is extremely hard to clean.

Be SURE to empty and clean the drip tray BEFORE folding and tipping this to roll anyplace.

I also have the stove ring and the single burner griddle for this grill. I find it is very hard to adjust the flame under the griddle because it's very difficult to see from the open side of the grill.
    The "low" setting is still too hot. It tends to boil my coffee rather then gently perk it.

IMPROVEMENTS: redesign the propane bottle holder and drip tray.
    Provide more control for low to high heat.
    Adjust the body and wheel angle. If you tilt the grill, when folded, at too steep an angle (such as a person 5'6" or taller pulling it), you will scrape the underside of the side table/grill.
    Provide disposable liners for the chrome pan under the grates.

USERS: Be sure to pull out the side tables before using. Be sure to remove and empty the drip pan before folding and tilting. Line the drip pan with tin foil for easier emptying. You can cook with the lid closed; I've done it for burgers, steaks, chicken, sausage.
    Be sure you differentiate between THIS grill (red one), the black one, or the blue one which has legs and folds up. The blue one has water pans under the grill grates which makes cleaning them easier. I have no experience with the black one; have cooked on both the blue/legged coleman and the red/wheeled coleman. I've owned this for 4 years. I use it at home and at rustic campgrounds.
    One last tip. The cooking grates are somewhat odd to get used to where the heat is, and where it isn't.

Not enough heat control from high to low; grates and griddle have hot and cold spots which are quite different from wire grill cooking surfaces.

Versatility
    Because I also purchased the griddle and stove ring, I can prepare a variety of foods using this grill. Also, because it is a stand-alone grill, it does not take up table space.
    I can use it at home and when camping.

See my suggestions above regarding design.

Great Camping and Portable Grill

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

I purchased Coleman Roadtrip Portable Propane Grill last year when I purchased my new travel trailer for our family camping trips. For many years our family has used a charcoal grill, however I wanted something easier to transport and quicker to grill on. This grill was very easy to assemble and easy to clean after usage. The grill can utilize multiple different size propane tanks with attachment with ease. I like the fact that it can fold and store in tight spaces. This grill has two stage grill platform so you can cook with different heat levels from side to side. I am able to cook everything from fish, steak, veggies, and pork without issues of burning my food.

This is a good grill for camping and tailgating. The heat controls work great and grill at the levels you desire.

Versatility
    I love the dual stage heat controls. They are ideal and provide opportunity to grill steaks at different levels. In addition the fold down storage is ideal for my camper.

This grill is very easy to use. My kids love being able to have grilled hot dogs when camping. The advantage is they can do it themselves. Lighting the grill is very easy.

Since this is a camping grill, keep the grill clean is very important. The grill surface can easily be removed and cleaned without issues.

The wheels and handles are made of plastic so that is a concern for me, however I have not had an issue to date.

The grill is very efficiently design for quick fold down and storage.

Perfect for Tailgating!

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

I love my Coleman Roadtrip propane fueled portable grill. When I go to my favorite teams football games I bring my grill for a little tailgating. I also take it when me and the kids go camping. Campfires are great for marshmallows and smores but when you want some real food for your camp out it's great to have this grill. It' folds up and doesn't take up much space. It's easy to clean and pack away. It has a decent size cooking surface, not huge and wouldn't be ideal for a large cookout or anything like that, but it's great when there's just your immediate family.

It heats quickly and cooks everything evenly. It does a great job for being portable. It's a million times better than any tiny portable charcoal grill with all things considered.

Versatility
    It's very easy to pack up and move. It's not extremely light, but it is certainly not heavy and is very easy to transport to different places.

It is very simple and easy to use. Just connect your small propane tank, open and light. In just a few minutes you'll be cooking.

The surface is pretty easy to clean an for the most part it can just be brushed clean. You may need to give it a good scrubbing now an then but it's easier to clean than a traditional grill.

I've used mine sparingly over the last four years and it still works great.

I think it looks good. I look like a tailgater who knows what he's doing when I break my grill out before the game. Plus the red color matches my teams color, so it looks like I belongs with all of our other stuff.

Great little travel grill

Comments about Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Propane Grill:

We bought this grill this past summer for our drive from Alaska back down to Utah (with a stop through Illinois...I bit out of the way). It is a perfect little travel grill! It folds up nice and small, keeping lots of room in the back of your truck or trailer. It doesn't burn through the propane bottles too quickly at all, which makes it a good value to cook on the road. Easy set-up and tear down, nice heavy grill grates. The rolling wheels make it easy to pull it over flat, even ground. For camping or other less-than-ideal ground it isn't too heavy to just carry it to your site or cooking spot. Clean up can be a hassle if you don't line the bottom with foil to catch the dripping grease. We have a family of 7 and it isn't too small for us to get enough meat on at one time for the whole family. Just a great little grill to have if you do a lot of traveling, camping or day trips. I would recommend this grill to anyone who wants a simple and versatile way to cook on the go!