Other General Household Cleaners:
Clorox

Pros

Cons

Tried & True

It seems every time one turns on the TV, there's an advertisement for a new miracle cleaner.  The way they make it look & sound - you don't need to do a thing.  There's no scrubbing, no rubbing - nothing!  Baloney.

I remember Mom used **S.O.S Steel Wool Soap Pads **on the old steel pots & pans years ago.  And it worked.  Now-a-days, we have Teflon coated pots & pans...thank GOD.  But, occasionally there arises the stubborn rust problem.  If it's "cleanable" at all, S.O.S Steel Wool Soap Pads will do the trick.

Don't laugh too hard when I tell you what I use these S.O.S Steel Wool Soap Pads on; old steel wheeled bikes I refurbish.  Some say it "pits" the chrome and/or steel.  Once again...baloney.  IT'S ALREADY PITTED FROM THE RUST!  Short of sandblasting the wheel and/or chrome part in question...this is the fastest method I've found.  Besides, after sandblasting, the part would need to be re-chromed.

After the rust is gone, if I truly want to make it beautiful, I wax it lightly.  Don't worry if you have a newer bicycle.  Most every bike part in the recent past is made from alloy - no rust.  I could probably find 101 reasons to still use this product.

I hate these things!

I bought some of these to clean out bathtubs at the apartments I was helping to clean. Big mistake. The blue soap pretty much stained the tub. The stuff was near impossible to rinse out. On top of that the feeling of the soap on my hands was disgusting. I wish I had put on gloves before I put the pads under the water.

Made the job worse than what it was originally. I had blue soap everywhere. I had to get extra towels just to get the blue stuff out of the tub because the water wasn't loosening it up. Luckily I was able to get the blue ring out of the tub with some scrubbing bubbles.

I could handle the smell, just not the texture.

The Best For Stuck On Food!

from Myrtle Beach, SC

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

I have been using SOS Pads since I was old enough to reach the sink! Mom always had SOS waiting to assist with the dishes and nothing had changed in my house when I grew up!

I have always found SOS to be great in assisting with the harsh clean up of stuck on food in my glass casserole dishes. It is amazing how the clean up time is cut in half!

Another great use for the SOS Pad is to get the bottom of your pots looking like new. When the bottoms of your pots get marks from the stove burners or water boils over and stains the bottom of the pots, SOS will clean them up just like new. I have even used the SOS Pad inside the oven for harsh, baked on food. Be careful when using the pad though because they can scratch some surfaces.

The only thing I don't like about the pads is that if you are not careful, you can cut your fingers on the wool, but that is nothing that a pair of gloves can't fix!

Also, do not use it on your non stick pans, it will scratch them.

A very good product!

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

I love my Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads! It may take a little bit of elbow grease, but it is still so much easier to get grease and burned food out of pots and pans when you use these steel wool soap pads. They are very easy to use too. All you have to do is wet the steel wool soap pad and scrub away the grease. Then just rinse away the blue soap in the pots and pans. It is that easy. It is very effective, and I have used these Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads for years and they have never once let me down. I definitely recommend this product!

Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads are great for pots and pans with thick grease or burned food in the bottom. It takes a little bit of elbow grease, but it really gets the food out . I love it!

I have never really taken the time to smell Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads, so I do not really have much of an opinion on the scent. I can say however that they, at least, do not smell foul.

Lifesavers!

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

These Clorox SOS steel wool soap pads are the best dishwashing invention ever! They are so powerful they can scrub off anything! I use them all the time on my dishes and if you tallied up all the time it has saved me over the years it would probably amount to a few days. If you do not have time to soak your dishes after cooking, you do not have to worry as long as you have an SOS pad. Just use a drop of Dawn dish soap, an SOS pad, and a little water, and in less than five minutes your pots and pans will look like they have never been used! The only thing to be careful about these is they will ruin certain coated pans so make sure to read all the labels that come with your pots and pans. Otherwise use them on anything metal! I seriously could not live without these and recommend them to anyone who cooks. They will cut your dish washing time in half and keep your pots lasting many years longer.

Very reliable

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

These SOS pads are a great classic cleaning product that I have used for 20 years. I love how they have strong scrubbing power plus a good cleaner that quickly cuts through dirt, grease and stuck on items to quickly clean. I use these when washing my car to remove grime and dirt on my wheel wells and tires. I use them to clean pots and pans because if I gently clean they scrape off stuck on food without damaging pans. They easily and thoroughly clean sports equipment, strollers and other outdoor products like bicycles, toys and grills. I do not like how my fingers get full of the cleaner and ruin my manicure when I use them. I wish they were not so messy but they do a great cleaning job so I continue to use them. I like how I can rinse and continue to use the same pad and even save one for use the next time.

These have a faint standard cleaner smell that is not too irritating.

Removes anything and I mean anything!

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

I have been using Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads my entire life. These pads will remove any type of debris you throw at it. I have a pizza pan that had a lot of built up debris from past use and I tried just about everything to get it off. I used a S.O.S. Pad with a little warm water the grime came off after a couple of minutes. While removing the grime it actually removed some of the aluminum coating. That's no big deal to me because a little cooking spray will prevent the pizza from sticking to the pan. When I use these pads to clean a grill they do an excellent job of getting rid of grime and debris with very little effort. These pads also work great to rid of grim around my bathtub drain from hard water. I have in the past used these pads to remove paint from my hands. It does work, but I wouldn't recommend doing it too often because it leaves my hands a little raw. I definitely would recommend Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads for the removal of anything.

Packed with Power

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

These S.O.S Steelwool pads are wonderful little packages of power. They do require a little elbow grease, but they are so much more effective than going it alone. We use our kitchen a lot and our stove top and oven are constantly dirty. These tackle tough baked on food like nothing else. There are other varieties of steel wool scrubbers but these S.O.S. work best. The smell is tolerable. I always keep a box of these under my sink at the ready for the day when I open up the oven and realize it needs a little TLC. They work great on outdoor grill tops, broiler pans, certain steel cookware and also on cooking tools. Once you get a lather going these go to work. My largest complaint about these is the texture. Sometimes they give me that nails on chalkboard, chills down my spine feeling. It is not bad enough of a sensation to stop using them, but worth noting if you are especially sensitive to steel on metal. They also work great at scrubbing up my kitchen sink.

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

Who doesn't use this product? I have uses SOS for forty years and will continue to do so for another forty. It's just the best steel wool soap pad around. When you get that baked on mess on a cast iron skillet, what else will take take that baked and fried on food off? Nothing better than this in my experience. They foam up so nice and clean so much better than most other steel wool soap pads.

They work great on my Cast iron Skillet, farberware griddle and other steel pots and pans. This product also leaves the pots and pans with a real nice luster and shine. You can't get that from plastic scrub pads and dish soap. It cuts grease better than anything I've ever used before and that's huge for me. I can't stand scrubbing for long periods of time. Be sure not to use this abrasive on teflon coated pots and pans. It will take the coating right off and scratch.

It smells Ok. I'm not a fan of the scent but it's fine.

Best for Cleaning Stainless and Chrome with Buildup

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

I use these soap steel wool pads for things like drip pans and cookware that is dingy with lots of grime built up on it. It is the only thing I use for the inside of my crock pot also (the metal part that sometimes gets overflow if the pot is too full). They work hard to get the residue off and it is amazing what they are capable of getting off. They can restore an oven broiler pan to almost it's original quality. I would not recommend using them for something whose surface is not stainless or is susceptible to scratches, etc. I never let my kitchen run out of these because they work so well and are great to have around.

These soap pads can do what rags, sponges, and lots of soaking cannot. They are somewhat caustic and not very natural feeling so I would recommend using gloves if you will be scrubbing at things for awhile along with a lot of elbow grease. It is not an "easy" job to remove residue off of cookware, but if you have these soap pads, it will get done.

Extremely effective but too harsh for my hands.

from Kansas

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads are extremely effective in removing stuck on food, especially on grills. They come with the product already in the pads so that knocks out a step in the cleaning process. I however cannot use the pads very often because they irritate the skin on my hands really badly. I use them when only necessary but I wish I could use them more, ugh! They're very good.

These are perfect for grills. The grill is tough enough that these pads won't cause scratching on it like it can on other surfaces. [I found out that hard way on my counter than these were too harsh and scratched it up]. Buying a steal brush for a grill is expensive and you still have to find a cleaner that will break through all the grill gunk. SOS pads are super great at removing the gunk from the grill! Give them a try! I've used them on my stove top when theres been stuck on messes and the SOS pads cleaned it with ease. Once again just make sure you don't scrub too hard or you may scratch the surface of your stove.

The pads have a chemical like scent which isn't that great but eh.

Give these a try but remember they are a little harsh.

Great for a Variety of Cleaning.

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about Clorox S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads:

I love using S.O.S. Steel Wool Soap Pads, and have found they work for a variety of household cleaning. I usually use scrubbing bubbles on my bathtub, but at times it doesn't get all the soap scum off. That's when I use these S.O.S. pads, they work great in addition to using scrubbing bubbles. I just spray it on, let it set for about ten minutes, then scrub down the bathtub with the S.O.S. pads. These also work great at cleaning pans and dishes when they have burnt on food or grease. I've also used these to clean the inside of my oven and the top of the stove. They work great as a tough soap pad, but gentle enough you don't have to worry about scratching dishes and pans. When I'm done doing the dishes there is usually enough soap in the pad to scrub down the sink, which usually shines after I use one of these on it. These are one of my favorite varieties because they have Clorox bleach mixed right into the pad for a better and tougher soap pad.

There are very few things that these S.O.S. soap pads can't clean. They can clean a large variety of items. S.O.S. pads can clean soap scum, burnt on food, grease, mildew, rust, cabinets, stove tops and ovens, and tough stains dirt, grime and more.

Good and clean fragrance.