Other General Household Cleaners:
Clorox

Pros

Cons

Oldee but goodee

I know that 409 is not an eviorment friendly product, but it my trusted cleaning buddy. I use 409 for everything. To clean the counters, to clean the fridge, to clean the bathroom, to clean to car upolestry. It is what I use mostly to clean. My son uses it to clean his shoes and to get stains out of his football pants.

You should be careful however because the smell can be overwhelming. If I clean the bathroom for example I will spray everything and let it rest a bit while I clean some else and then come back after the smell has settled. Generally what I find after I have let it set is that most of the work is done. It cuts through soap scum like a pro. It really gets rid of bathroom odors well. Same in the kitchen. After I have used it to clean my cabinets they just pop.

Compared to other product 409's price is great! Very competitve but much more effective in opinion. The product has been around for along time and I have tried other things but I alway's come back to 409.

Disappointing on grease

I had used 409 years ago with great results and kind of forgot about until it as new products came out. however, it was suggested that I use it on my greasy stove. I immediately bought a bottle of this 409 All Purpose Cleaner and went to work. I was very disappointed that it did not work on my stove. I scrubbed and scrubbed and the grease just smeared all over the place. The tougher stains wouldn't even budge. I sprayed the 409 All Purpose Cleaner all over the stove top and let it soak for a while. It still did not work. What's more is that the smell was really intense. I didn't like the fumes at all. My head hurt and my throat was itchy when it was all over. It seemed a waste of time and not the 409 All Purpose Cleaner I remember from years past. As for my counter tops and just basic cleaning and wipe downs, it seemed to work okay. However, I was not a fan of the smell and eventually tossed it out. I don't recommend this 409 All Purpose Cleaner to anyone for cleaning grease or tough food stains.

This cleaner works!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Clorox Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner:

The Clorox 409 all purpose cleaner works pretty well! This works best for me in the kitchen and bathrooms. I don't use this as much anymore because I switched to organic and natural products, but when I did it worked good. It is good at getting through grease, grime, dirt and other things. It's good for cleaning the oven and stove. If you have problems getting stuck on things off you can soak it in the product and it should remove it. This is a great cleaner to have on hand and to keep under your sink. I know that a lot of other people like this product as well. It is a good cleaner to use and it works! I would recommend this to others.

This product does a good job of cleaning. It's easy to use. Just spray and wipe down. It is pretty good on tough jobs.

The scent wasn't bad. It was a little strong and not my favorite smell, but it wasn't so overpowering that I couldn't use it. It was alright.

Disappointing on grease

Works on everything

Comments about Clorox Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner:

I used to use 409 on nearly everything I can think of. It works great on anything, whether inside your house or out. Its a great cleaner in the bathroom, or out in the garage. I like to use it in areas that get the most dirty, as it does a great job getting any surface clean. I use this cleaner most on parts of my vehicles though when I clean them. It does a great job at getting the dirt, and brake dust off of the wheels and tires. It also works well at getting grease, and oil off of the engine too. I have also used it on carpet in the car to get our some stains too. My only gripe about this product though, is that it doesn't smell the greatest, and there is no variety for different scents. All in all, this is a great product that works well in any environment.

Works great on anything, stains, grease, oil, dirt, etc.

It does not smell very good, and there is literally no variety whatsoever when it comes to different scents.

Clorox Formula 409 All- Purpose Cleaner

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Clorox Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner:

This product has been around as long as me I suppose. I've used this since the seventies with great results. I like the fact that it can be used on almost anything with good results. It also works on most surfaces like counter tops, tile, and is great in the bathroom and kitchen as well. I also use it in the shop for some clean ups.

It works pretty well and I like the fact that I don't get those horrible chemical fumes some of the other top cleaners give off. That's not to say that this is an inferior product. Although it's less caustic than many cleaners, it is a chemical and precautions should be taken to avoid direct contact with the skin and eyes. As with all household cleaning products, Read the label before using and store them away from children and pets.

There really isn't much of a scent to me so I guess it's pleasant enough. It certainly isn't a floral scent which I do not like.

Comments about Clorox Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner:

I have always trusted the Clorox name and have used the 409 All Purpose Cleaner for many years. I mostly use this cleaner to clean and disinfect the counters, bathroom sink and toilet areas in my daycare. I don't use this product when the children are around though because it does have a very strong scent and I am sure that strong scent isnt' good for little lungs.
I also always use this cleaner when I can keep the windows open. This isn't a very green product and I do worry about the fumes from this product being bad for the lungs. But it does a great job of cleaning and sanitizing my counters and sinks.

I feel this is a good cleaner to sanitize most surfaces. I use it on the counters and bathroom sinks and it always leaves them looking and smelling very clean.

The scent isn't bad, but it is very strong. I try to always use this cleaner when the windows or doors can be open for ventilation.

Great for really tough cleaning projects.

from Davis, CA

Comments about Clorox Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner:

When I have tough cleaning projects, I pull out the 409. It's especially useful on greasy surfaces. So, I use it on my stove top and vent hood. For the really greasy vent, I'll soak it for about an hour and it's almost like new.

It's also good for the bathroom. I'll use it for soap scum and counter tops.

In the backyard, I use 409 to clean the grill. I place these in a tub, soak them in a generous coating of the product and allow them to soak for about an hour. It doesn't get all the stains off without scrubbing. But, it does a pretty darn good job of degreasing them.

It cleans and degreases very well. I can clean much of my kitchen in no time with this product and paper towels. For very greasy items, I'll soak them in the 409. Most often, these are clean when I rinse them off.

I'm sensitive to strong odors. In fact, I get headaches from most laundry detergent. 409 doesn't give me a headache, but I don't particularly like the smell. It's not too strong. But, it's not that pleasant either.

It's okay as a bathroom and kitchen cleaner.

from West Virginia

Comments about Clorox Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner:

This is supposed to be all purpose but I don't think it works on wood because it leaves it not quite right. It also doesn't work on glass. To me, these two surfaces are a must for a product to be truly all purpose.

At best this should really be marketed as a kitchen and/or bathroom cleaner. It does a good job with the counter tops and grout. It also does a good job around the sink and eats up the soap scum.

I like it in the bathroom for around the toilet and inside the bowl. It cleans well in the shower and tub and around the doors but it leaves the shower glass streaky. It is great for the sink and I like it on the faucets--it does a great job on the handles and spigot but overall not a true all purpose cleanser. If it would go well on glass I'd be happy.

The pros of this is that I can literally clean the entire bathroom, even the floors. It also tackles anything my kitchen can muster up from counters, sinks, the fridge, and the oven to even the microwave.

The cons of this is that it's not good on wood. It doesn't look very lustrous. Also it streaks glass so it's not good for that either.

It goes great in the kitchen and bathroom but isn't good at all on wood and glass.

The smell is too chemically. It's not fresh or fruity or even a clean smell so much as just harsh.

Great All Purpose Cleaner

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Clorox Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner:

The Clorox Formula 409 All Purpose Cleaner is a great cleaner for the entire house. I use this stuff everywhere. This all purpose cleaner works well at cleaning all messes in the kitchen with ease. I use it to tackle the dried on crud in the microwave by spraying it around the inside and then wiping away without any effort. I also use it to clean my ceramic stove stop and it works wonders on it as well. I use it daily on my kitchen counter tops to ensure they are clean and safe for food preparation for my meals. Another room of the house that gets regular cleaning with this is the bathroom. I am able to clean off the soap scum that accumulates on the bath tub and inside our stand-up shower. One of the things I like about this particular cleaner is that it does not leave the room with an over-powering "clean" smell. I have used some cleaners that have almost suffocated me while trying to clean the shower with their over-powering fumes.

Formula 409 is a cleaning staple in my home

Comments about Clorox Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner:

I always have a bottle or two of Formula 409 at home. I tend to keep a bottle in my kitchen and a bottle under the sink of the bathroom our family uses the most. I have been using this product for over twenty years and love how effective it cleans. I have tried other household cleaners but keep coming back to Formula 409. Clorox Formula 409 makes cleaning easier. I use Clorox Formula 409 to clean and disinfect almost every surface in my home. It is a great all purpose cleaner. I use this cleaner to pick up spills,dust, to remove stains, to attack mildew, and for everyday general cleaning. It comes in a fantastic spray bottle so using it is extremely easy - just point and spray. Formula 409 is also very affordable and it is easy to find coupons for this product.

Clorox Formula 409 makes cleaning easier. Clorox Formula 409 cleans almost every surface in my home. It is a great all purpose cleaner.

This is an all purpose cleaner and it smells like one.

Clorox 409 is the one product everyone knows and uses

Comments about Clorox Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner:

Clorox 409 is the one product everyone knows and uses. We have had 409 in our home for as long as I can remember. I buy it in the gallon jug and refill my spray bottle. It is the best multi-use cleaner I have ever found. It is perfect to cut through tough grease and grime.

I use it to clean my range top, my kitchen floors and especially my exhaust fan. When it is possible, I get the best results when I spray 409 on the item that needs cleaning and let it stand for about 15 seconds (maybe more on stubborn items). When I wipe it off, all the grease and dirt come off easily!

For quick touch-ups between mopping my floor I spray 409 and wipe it up and my floor is instantly cleaned! It even works on tough problems like black heel scuff marks on my kitchen floor!

The only thing that I have found that I don’t like to use 409 on is glass and windows. I think Clorox makes a 409 product that is specially formulated for glass, but I have never tried it.

Clorox 409 is one of the products in my house that I MUST have. It works great. I trust it. It’s great!