Other General Household Cleaners:
Clorox Bleach Pen

Clorox Bleach Pen

Pros

Cons

Clorox Bleach Pen is great for targeting small stains on clothes

One of the benefits of living in a country where companies such as Clorox have innovative Research and Development divisions is the resulting plethora of incredibly useful products that make some chores (such as doing the laundry) a bit less difficult.

Sometimes, of course, the R & D and Marketing divisions come up with stinkaroos -- remember the Ford Edsel? Or "New" Coke? -- but more often than not the men and women in the labs deliver gadgets and gizmos that are so useful that one wonders *Why the heck didn't anyone come up with this **ages** ago?* Clorox's **Bleach Pen** is a cool little gadget that is designed to apply a small amount of bleach (in gel form) to get rid of a stain on a relatively small area of bleach-tolerant fabric; I liken it to using a laser-guided bomb against a single building, since the pen can be used just on the desired area rather than the "carpet bombing" approach of using a lot of liquid bleach, especially on clothing that isn't just white but might have other colors or patterns (polka dots, stripes, and houndstooth) which may suffer from the effects of too much bleach. The **Bleach Pen** is about the size of one of those oversized novelty pens one sees in offices or office-supply stores and has not one but two dispensing tips. The tapered-off "point" is designed to apply the Clorox bleach gel to pinpoint areas on fabric or -- if need be -- household surfaces such as tile floors and Formica countertops, while the wider "back end" tip can be used to apply the gel onto larger stained areas with equal precision. A case in point: You are enjoying a hamburger or hot dog with all the works when something startles you or someone jostles your hand and some of the food goes *Splat!* on your shirt, blouse, or pants. The resulting stain isn't too big, but you change your clothes and go to the laundry room with the now-dirty item of clothing and look for something to get rid of the stain before it sets. Now, you could use a bit of **Shout!** or a comparable stain remover, but you now have this handy Clorox **Bleach Pen.** And you want to use it...so...here's what you do. *Directions for use (from the product label): Shake before use. Unscrew cap on chosen tip. Gently squeeze bottle to apply. Replace cap after use. Do not have both caps off at same time. **Laundry:** Treat stain on white areas of garment. Rub into stain. Wash immediately with an all- or mostly white load. Do not treat garment while wearing. **Not recommended for use on colored portion of garments, dry clean only fabrics and fine fabrics such as silk, linen, mohair, and spandex.** If in doubt about colorfastness, apply small amount of product onto hidden seam. Rinse and let dry. If no color change, use as directed. **Household surfaces**: Apply to stain. Rub. Rinse or wipe clean. Do not use on silver. Avoid prolonged contact on plastic laminate coiuntertops and metal surfaces, and rinse promptly after use. Some stains, such as rust, permanent inks and dyes, may be impossible to remove. DO NOT FREEZE. WARNING: EYE IRRITANT. Avoid contact with eyes. May cause skin irritation. For sensitive skin or prolonged use, wear gloves.* While I personally haven't used the **Bleach Pen**, my mom has, and when I asked her if it lived up to its promise of easy application and thorough stain removal, she said it works like a charm. She says she has used it about five or six times in the past year and thus far she's had no complaints. She still uses **Shout!** products for the more delicate color fabrics that the **Bleach Pen** is not compatible with, but for whites or garments with white and bleach-resistant fabrics, this product is simply superb.

Good idea but the product has too many cons.

The Clorox Bleach Pen is a good idea but it definitely needs some fine tuning.

The basic idea of the product is to be able to use it on white fabrics that have been stained. It's supposed to be a quick convenient way to get rid of the stain. You press the pen down and the clorox bleach comes from the tip. The tip has a thin side and a thicker side, for bigger areas. The theory behind the Clorox Bleach Pen is great! But it doesn't quite work how it says.

The pen is small. It can't be used on large areas because you'll just run out of the product. I learned the hard way that you can't spot treat an item with the pen, then toss it in your laundry basket to wash later that day. When I went to wash the shirt I noticed it now had a blue stain where I used the product on it. I tried to wash it out but it still had a faint blue spot. So if you use the pen you need to wash the article of clothing asap or it will stain.

The pen is good for cleaning the area around sinks, so at least it has one use.

I don't recommend this product. It doesn't perform that well and leaves stains on your clothing if you don't wash it immediately.

Great for Craft Projects

from Greer, SC

Comments about Clorox Bleach Pen:

We have not used these in our home on clothes for stain removal, but we have used them for craft projects involving t-shirts. They work great! If you want a personalize t-shirt you can get a solid color (usually dark ones work best) and write/draw design with your bleach pen on it. After you're done just wash in the washing machine like you normally would wash your clothes and dry in the dryer. You have a super cute personalized shirt! These pens do take the color out of shirts (which it the point and how you make the personalized shirt) so I know they would take color out of other things they got on on accident. You do have to be very careful with them. The scent is pretty strong so I would recommend wearing a face mask and also some gloves. Overall I think the Clorox Bleach Pen is a great product to use in craft projects and works great! I would highly recommend it for your next personalized t-shirt project.

A handy way to get certain stains out of whites.

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Clorox Bleach Pen:

I do wear a lot of whites and I am always worried about spilling coffee, juice, or any other dark substance on the fabric. This is a great product to have around for that problem. It is not a cure all, but it does help the situation in a pinch. I have used it before when I got some ketchup on my button down shirt and when my daughter spilled juice on my white t-shirt. I think my most recent and best example of using it is when I got red marker on my white shirt just before an interview. I used this pen to get most of the stain out and it was barely noticeable by the time I had to meet with my interviewer. I was very grateful that I had this in my purse that day. It is very handy and it fits into my purse perfectly. I will purchase another one when my current one runs out. They are not too expensive and they last a long time for me because I do try to be very careful when I am wearing white. I would recommend this product if you wear a lot of white and sometimes need something quickly to help with a stain.

Great for emergency spills.

from Ohio

Comments about Clorox Bleach Pen:

I keep one of these Clorox bleach pens in my purse and one in my diaper bag. I tend to be a klutz and always spill something on myself, not to mention having messy little children. This cleaning pen is very small and convenient for on the go. I love the fact that it's small enough to fit in a tiny purse, clutch or even your pocket. I have used this Clorox pen for many different things. Stains on clothes, carpets, furniture, and in the car, it seems to work very well for me. The only thing I do not like about this pen is that it does not dry fast AT ALL! Other than that, it gets even the toughest stains out. It is very handy, especially if you have pets/ children. I definitely recommend giving this a try, not to mention it is very affordable.

The overall performance for this Clorox pen is a 10. It gets the job done just as Clorox brand liquid bleach would. It removes stains, keeping your clothes and other items looking nice. I hate that it takes so long to try, but I can deal with that since it cleans really well.

The scent isn't very strong at all, so you don't have to worry about smelling like bleach all day long, It is very mild.

Great for Stains on Whites

Comments about Clorox Bleach Pen:

I was pretty happy when this handy little pen came out as an alternative to other stain removers such as shout and spray n wash. This bleach pen took the stain out of my white sheets very well. It has a small tip and a larger "bristle-y" tip depending on how big the stain is. Cons is that it may run out pretty quickly. Pros is that it does the trick without a big jar of bleach sitting around which of course is always a concern for young kids. I have seen projects on blogger where people used this on colored shirts for a reverse dye effect and that was pretty neat looking too though I have not tried it myself. It is pretty expensive in comparison to some other stain removers but if the stain is not going to come out with those and just needs to be bleached out, it is a good option.

I used this on a blood stained bed sheet and it came right out. Obviously it is only useful for white colors unless you are going for the reverse dye effect.

Great on Everything from Clothes to Grout

from Upland, CA USA

Comments about Clorox Bleach Pen:

I first purchased this pen for clothes. I hate it when my husband gets a stain on one of his white t-shirts, so I purchased the Clorox Bleach Pen to fight these stains. I love how it is so targeted and only goes where I apply it. If I use too much, however, I have found that it may turn whites yellow a bit. It has successfully eliminated many stains on our whites. I only use it with white loads in my washer so I don't know how harsh it would be on colors. I unfortunately have white tiles and white grout in my kitchen. This pen has been a lifesaver. The bleach goes right in the grout line and whitens instantly. It is a bit messy to clean up but better than scrubbing!

I love how easy it is to use, just make sure you follow all of the directions on the package.

This is the worst factor of the bleach pen. It does carry a strong bleach smell, but at least I know what is in it and it is a clean smell.

This is great to keep on hand for whites.

from West Virginia

Comments about Clorox Bleach Pen:

I love keeping a Clorox pen handy. I have several white, cotton pieces that I love because of the breathable fabric. I also have a couple pairs of white shoes because they are stylish and comfortable. This pen is handy for the occasions when I get something on my clothes or shoe and am a ways from home and being able to clean the item.

The smell of this is a bit frustrating because it smells just like chlorine bleach in a larger container but this stuff is a little less potent because it's so concentrated in one small area.

The pen has a precision tip on it that makes it easy to apply the product to the stain or stains. It is also a good tool to use to help scrub the stain out. One word of caution I would suggest, if you use on a shirt you're wearing, be careful not to soak it because this product can get on your skin and irritate it. I usually try to find a bathroom and rinse the item out with a cloth or paper towel after I bleach it. My skin is sensitive and bleach and detergents irritate it.

The pen isn't a miracle worker but if nothing else, I've noticed if I put some of this on a stain and just let it soak in, it helps the stain come out better in the wash. It's not great for larger stains either. I had a huge glob on one of my shirts, probably 3 inches in diameter, and this didn't help as much as I would have liked. I ended up throwing the shirt out because the stain turned pink and peach colored even after a few washes.

This is a life saver though for shoes and small spots.

It works wonderful on sleeves and shoes. I've saved several pairs of sneakers from being permanently stained.

The scent stinks just like bleach.

Convenient

Comments about Clorox Bleach Pen:

I have been dipping q-tips in a capfull of bleach to safely bleach small spots on clothing for years. The Clorox Bleach Pen eliminates the risk of me spilling the liquid bleach, which has been known to happen and it is definitely more convenient. I find it to be just as effective and the gel formula is thicker than regular bleach which is both good and bad. It is less likely to drip onto other areas of the fabric which is great, but it also doesn't soak into the stain as quickly which you do need to be careful of. I have picked a shirt up before thinking that the gel had "set" and it seeped into an area of colored fabric just below.

Works as well, for the most part, as liquid bleach on a q-tip and is much more convenient. Definitely useful to have around even if it won't get used super often.

Not surprisingly, it smells like bleach. I actually don't hate the smell of bleach as much as some people but I think that this is a bit of a stronger bleach smell that can be a bit overpowering.

Moderately Benefical to erase stains

Comments about Clorox Bleach Pen:

I tried this product for grass stains on my son's football uniform. I was not completely impressed with this product as it only lightened the grass stains, it did not completely remove them. I have also used for ring around the collar and it actually works perfectly in removing the stain, especially if you pre-treat a few days before laundering. I have used on lipstick stains, ketchup and mustard stains, and it has worked somewhat well. You can still see the stain, just a lighter version of the it.

It works well on some things, not so great on other things. I would recommend this product, but don't expect miracles when using. I have found that it you use this and pair it with another nameless product that does great at removing stains, the results are fabulous.

It can be over powering because it is bleach, especially in contained spaces, and if you need to use over and over again.

Good idea but the product has too many cons.

from Kansas

The Clorox Bleach Pen is a good idea but it definitely needs some fine tuning.

The pen is good for cleaning the area around sinks, so at least it has one use.

Works great for on the spot cleaning

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about Clorox Bleach Pen:

This is an amazing product that I always have it my purse. I have small children and stains are something that we experience on a daily basis. I keep this product in my purse and have backups at home. This is great for getting a stain out right when it happens. You can literally write on the stain just like you would with a pen and let it sit for a minute and it is just about gone. Some stains are harder to remove with the pen, but I have found that once I wash the item, the stain has always been gone.
This is one of the best products on the market for removing stains. I would highly recommend this and will continue buying this in the future.

This product is a perfect 10 in my opinion. I love the way the stains just disappear when I use the pen. It really is a great product for removing stains, especially when kids are involved. This product is a must for me and my family.

This product does really leave a scent behind on your clothes after using it.