3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

Clean & Clear Astringent works for the odd breakout

I use Johnson's Clean & Clear Sensitive Skin Foaming Facial Cleanser most nights before I go to bed. After using it some nights I notice, even at my age, that I get the occasional breakout. When that happens I go for the product next to it, Johnson's Clean & Clear Sensitive Skin Deep Cleaning Astringent.

It comes in a clear plastic bottle with a flip top lid. The size is 8 fluid ounces (240 ml.) It stated on the front of the bottle that it contains "salicylic acid. It is a gentle formula that helps treat and prevent pimples."

When I open the bottle to use it I can smell a slight medicinal smell, but that's fine with me.

I cleanse my face, and then take out a cotton ball. I put a little of the astringent on it, and dab it on my spot. It dries very quickly.

I will do this for around 3 nights and then it just goes away.

I can't tell you how this would work for teenagers with acne, but it states that it can be used 3 times a day.

I love this product because it is gentle and is for sensitive skin.

Please note that on the back of the bottle it has several warnings, including that it should not be used with other acne products.

On the whole I love Johnson & Johnson products, and find this to be no exception.

Gets rid of the odd blemish/spot I get.

A little pungent, but you get used to it.

Ease of Application
Very easy to apply with a cotton ball, or a Q Tip.

Too harsh for my skin and my sense of smell!

I know beauty products can't always smell like roses, but I'm pretty sure Clean & Clear *tried *to make their astringent smell bad.  **Deep Cleaning Astringent for Sensitive Skin** has a very strong medicinal smell that, coupled with the alcohol in the product, left my eyes watering.  That's not the worst of it.

As far as clearing up my skin, I am not impressed.  I have been using this product twice a day for nearly three months and all I have gotten is dry skin.  I am not convinced that alcohol in toners and astringents is a beneficial thing whatsoever . I have always struggled with oily skin and forever I thought using drying products [like astringents and alcohols] would help me.  I learned much later that the dryer my skin gets, the more oil it produces, so by three o'clock in the afternoon, I am having lovely "oily breakthroughs" and needing to powder my nose.  Clean & Clear's astringent did *not *help me with this issue.  In fact, it only made it worse.

Upon contact with my skin, it feels refreshing [despite the unpleasant fragrance].  I also like that the dirt removed by the product is visible on the cotton ball, which means it is cleaning relatively deeply.  On the other hand, it isn't good to strip your skin of *all *of its dirt and oil, otherwise it is left without any defenses against the elements.  Also over time, it does nothing to combat acne and only dries my skin more which contributes to extensive breakouts.  I have concerns about the blue dye in the product; why is it necessary?  I don't feel very happy about lathering my skin with harsh dyes [isn't it just psychologically better to clean with products that are clear in color?]

Overall, I have been unsatisfied with the Clean & Clear product line.  I have very sensitive skin, however, so perhaps these products work for people with more normal skin types.  Clean & Clear keeps luring me back with their low prices at the drugstore, but if I haven't learned my lesson about buying cheap products by now [I have Forever 21 clothes in my closet. Ick] then I guess I never will!   This **Deep Cleaning Astringent for Sensitive Skin** did not boost my confidence so I think I will be sticking with my tried and true face wash and toner.

I wish all of you the best of luck in finding a product that works as I know how important clear skin is to everyone.  I wish manufacturers would stop toying with our images!

Clears up oily skin

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

I’ve used this astringent for at least a decade and have experienced quite a few positives and just a few negatives with it. The scent is fresh, if a little strong at first, though I got used to it over time. As a teen, my skin was not acne prone and I used after waking up and again before going to bed as a refresher/oil-eliminator/to prep my skin for makeup application. I’ve also used it as a makeup remover, though I know this is not its true purpose. It is great at lifting off a day’s worth of product and environmental components. I have also used this astringent to prep my skin for spot treatments of zits and pimples. I loved the clean feeling this astringent left my skin with immediately after using it, but after any application that wasn’t a spot treatment, I needed to apply lotion because the astringent was too drying and left my skin feeling tight. In my late twenties, my skin has become oily and I do not find this to be overly drying at all.

Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent for Sensitive Skin

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

This Astringent is good, but after a while it tends to dry out the skin. It clears up the acne very well though, when used in combination with the cleanser. I would recommend a moisturizer when using this product, so as to not suffer with excessive drying and possible peeling.

Side Effects
Makes the skin a bit dry.

Immediacy
It seemed to work fast, results in as early as one week.

Not for me

from Southfield, MI

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

I'm always looking for new ways to clean my face. I was hoping that this would be a quick way to clean up my face before bed. I would love to find something that would allow me to clean my face quickly and efficiently. I was hoping Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent for Sensitive Skin would be that product. Unfortunately, it really just wasn't.

I didn't find this Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent for Sensitive Skin to be effective at all. I still broke out after using it. It was pretty much as bad as if I hadn't even washed my face at all. Also, I know it says that it's for sensitive skin, but it didn't feel much different than any other astringent I've used in the past. It also made my face feel kind of dry and tight.

Ease of Application
It's very easy to apply, I used a cotton ball or a cotton pad.

Convenience
Convenience was my main reason for purchasing this facial cleaner. I just wish it had worked better.

A Great Oil And Acne Eliminator

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

Because Clean and Clear’s regular Deep-Cleaning Astringent was effective but too harsh for me, and I had to stop using it due to excessive drying and skin discomfort, I decided to try Clean and Clear’s Deep-Cleaning Astringent for Sensitive Skin. I am quite glad that I did because it seemed to be just as effective at improving acne without making me deal with terrible side effects. It’s still a bit drying but not to the extent where I can’t use it at all. I have simply decreased slightly how often I use it. I love the way it tingles when applied and how easy it is to apply using cotton pads. I also think that it’s an excellent way to prevent skin from looking oily and greasy because it seems to very effectively control oil. I would recommend it to people who have mild to moderately sensitive skin and especially to people who tried the original astringent but found it to be too strong.

Clean and Fresh Feeling Skin

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

This is one of my favorite products by Clean & Clear. Not only is it effective in providing that "extra" deep clean on top of a regular facial wash, I also regularly use this product as a make-up remover. Pour a little on a cotton ball, and it works to remove the make-up and clean your skin underneath. This product is extremely easy to use, as all you have to do is open the bottle, pour some on a cotton ball, and swipe across your face. I find this product to be extremely effective and I use it every day. Even with long-term use, this product does not and has not dried out my skin. And because the product is specially formulated for sensitive skin, it does not burn or have any unwanted side effects (at least not that I have had to deal with). And the low price is just one added benefit to the value. I have used this for quite some time now, so I can reasonably say that I would suggest this product to anyone.

Side Effects
None for me!

• Immediacy:

Great Product for the Value!

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

I bought this at Wal-Mart in Oxnard, CA, and was happy with my purchase. You can't beat the price or the value. You get a lot of product for your money. The smell of the product is not as pleasing as similar items, such as the one Biore makes, but overall, this is a great purchase.

Good on Occasions

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

I know a lot of people think that Astringent is to be used ever time you wash your face. That is not always the case. I personally can't use astringent every day because it will dry my face out to the point that I start to flake. This product makes it so that I am able to use it only once a week and my skin doesn't get oily once I stop using it and I don't dry out either.

When I use it the effectiveness is fantastic. On occasion I even used it to remove my make-up and that didn't even fail.

Ease of Application
This is super easy to use. All you have to do is pour a little into your hands, rub to warm up, and pat your face till all of it or the parts that are broken out have been touched.

Convenience
I always have it sitting on the counter next to the sink so it is in easy range to use and is always there for when I need it.

Side Effects
There is the sad side-effect that if you use to much you will have super dry skin and if you don't use enough that your skin will just become more oily. Also, the amount you need differs for each person so you will have to find the right amount out on your own.

Immediacy
As soon as it is dry you can already feel the product to start working.

• Immediacy:

My skin feels so clean!!

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

This product is one of the best I have found for freshening skin.

I have been using this for several months, and have noticed my skin feels less oily and clean.

Ease of Application
It really can't get much easier that soaking a cotton ball with this solution and rubbing it o your face. There is no washing off, so just rub and go.

Convenience
It is very easy to use in that if you are planning a trip, all you have to put is put it in your bag and go. It does not need refrigeration or special storing. The plastice bottle is really convienent, too. If it turns over, it will not spill.

Side Effects
If you use this more than once, your skin will become red like a sunburn, so it is best to only use it once per day. It does a great job at taking the oil out of your skin, you don't want to overdry your face. I love the smell, and the results I get from this. I do only use it once a day, at night.

Immediacy
After washing my face, I use this product. I can immediately feel the effect os it. MY skin seems to actually tighten. It feels so clean and fresh.

Dried Out My Skin

from Jackson, TN

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

I am normally a big fan of products made by Clean & Clear but I have decided to stop using their Deep Cleaning Astringent for Sensitive Skin. Usually, most astringents irritate my skin and cause me to have itchy spots and break out even more than I had been before I started using it. The Clean & Clear astringent did not break my face out but it did make it incredibly dry. In order to use it, I would pour a little bit into a cotton ball and rub it all over my face. I could look at the cotton ball and see all of the dirt that was being removed from my skin and my skin did feel a little soft as I let it dry when I was done. However, about an hour after I used the astringent I noticed that my face began to feel very tight and I noticed several dry spots after looking in the mirror. To remedy this, I attempted to use a moisturizer after I used the astringent but my face would still look incredibly dry. Even though it did get rid of all of the dirt on my face, I decided to stop using it because nothing seemed to fix my dry skin problem after I used it.

Gentle Blemish Astringent

Comments about Clean & Clear Deep Cleaning Astrigent for Sensitive Skin:

Good inexpensive product for someone with sensitive or dry skin and mild acne and/or for prevention of blemishes . Makes your face feel even cleaner after using your facial wash, especially when you've had make-up on. It does not irritate my skin or cause it to feel dry. And since using it for a couple of years my mild case of acne, for someone in her 30's, seems to occur much less often, and clears up pretty well though I use a blemish spot treatment when I do get any pimples. The main problem I have with this product is my concern about its ingredients. I worry about all products and the chemicals, etc., used in them, so often try to use "natural" products; but the issue is often they are more costly.

It takes care of my mild acne rather well, seems to prevent the occasional pimples to just once in a while and doesn't dry or irritate my skin in the process with using it every night. The only issue I have is that it does not work for the blackheads I have on my nose. Not sure if it's preventing them from getting worse, but it does not help them clear up.

Ease of Application
Very ease to use; I mainly use it at night after cleansing my face, just squeezing a small amount onto a cotton ball or pad to use on my entire face and neck. I sometimes use it twice a day, usually when it's summer and my skin feels more oily.

Convenience
The product seems to be available at most stores, and is inexpensive and often on sale or marked down making it available to most budgets. It's in bottle that you need to squeeze slightly and turn upside down to make just enough come out without spilling it. But you do need to make sure you don't squeeze too hard.

Side Effects
It seems to work really well for someone who has sensitive skin, that is easily irritated or gets dried out. My skin isn't as sensitive as others so I have heard it can be a bit irritating for some, but for me it hasn't had any negative effects.

Immediacy
For working to prevent breakouts it seems to work pretty well, however once you have pimples it does not work as well or as fast, so I usually use an additional product like a blemish spot treatment.