Other Allergy & Sinus Medicines:

Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets

Pros

Cons

Claritin 24 hour tablets provide fast and long lasting relief

Claritin 24 hour gel and tablets offere fast and long lasting relief from seasonal allergies which include dust, dander, pollen, and mold. I tried various over the counter medicines which left me with unplesant side effects including drowsiness, or unrestlessness, overyly dry mucous membranes, or too much lethargy.  I once had prescription "Ornade Spanusules" which were very effective in preventing sniffles, itchy, runny eyes and nose, congestion, and malaise. However, the prescription was expensive and the medication made me feel too "speedy" the first week. The second week, I felt a bit tired from being so restless!  With Claritin, the gel tabs made be taken without water as it melts on your tongue and within 30 to 45 minutes, I feel the results_ my sinuses begin to clear up; runny nose stops dripping and eyes stop itching. Within 2 to 3 days of taking Claritin 24  hour tablets, I feel like I don't have cold or flu like symtoms which can be mistaken for the fatal "swine flu". I highly recommend Claritin to all seasonal allergy sufferers who have not found a solution to their discomforts.

Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets are good. Zyrtec is better.

***Quick View: ***I suffer from year round allergies. I am very allergic to dust, dust mites, must, mold and several other indoor things and I have hay fever and outdoor allergies as well. I can't take decongestants due to my hypoactive thyroid so my choices for allergy medicines are limited. I used to take [Benadryl][1] and it worked well but made me tired and wore off fast. I then switched to Claritin by prescription and, when it became available OTC, I continued taking it until [Zyrtec and the generic Zyrtec versions][2] came along and worked better for me.

***My Take on Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets***

These tablets come in a box of 10, 30, and 45 and may come in other sizes. My doctor told me to take one daily but I didn't. I took it several times a week but I did find that I got drowsy from it. These pills are easy to swallow and are supposed to work for 24 hours. They contain the antihistamine Loratadine in a 10mg dose. This antihistamine, unlike the one in Benadryl, is supposed to be non-drowsy and basically side effect free.

I found that **Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets** did make me a bit drowsy but nothing like Benadryl did. I noticed relief much faster with Benadryl though. I still use it (if I haven't taken any allergy meds that day) when I get a severe attack usually after being in a very dusty area. It works in minutes. This medication is not meant to work that way. It is meant to slowly release over the course of 24 hours to keep allergies at bay so you don't get attacks or, at least, your allergies are manageable.

I was given a nasal spray to use with these pills but I was taken off of it when I started to get nosebleeds and even the area behind my eyes was getting too dry. Antihistamines dry up post nasal drip and runny noses and eyes. Apparently, my mucus membranes dried up too much and I had a whole new problem to deal with. Once off the nasal spray and on Claritin alone, I was OK but I didn't feel that my allergies were totally controlled.

I switched to Zyrtec when my doctor told me to and have been using that - or a generic version - ever since. It works better for me. Still **Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets** did help many of my symptoms such as post nasal drip, runny nose and eyes, and sneezing. If I went into a dusty room, my reaction wasn't as bad as it would have been (although I still was bothered) and my outdoor symptoms were pretty much gone.

I felt a bit dry mouthed when I took this medication but I suppose any antihistamine can do that. I don't get that feeling with Zyrtec however.

In all, **Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets** worked pretty well for me and I planned to keep using it until I was told to switch. My son has allergies and was prescribed this medication and he said it does nothing at all for him. It doesn't stop or help any of his symptoms. Zrytec does a bit better job but he has to use decongestants as well as antihistamines to really stop his allergy symptoms. i wish I could take a decongestant when I am having a bad allergy attack or when I have a bad cold but I can't so I have to rely on antihistamines to do the job. Claritin does some of the job but I'm sticking with Zyrtec for now.

***My Viewpoint***

**Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets** are fairly expensive and I am not sure if there are generic equivalents out there. I do know that here are generic Zyrtec equivalents because I buy them all the time and they are much cheaper than the brand name and than **Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets**. For me, this product was good but not as good as it could have been.*** I am going with 3 stars***. I would have gone with 4 before I started taking Zyrtec which seems to leave me side effect free (no drowsiness, no dry mouth, etc.) and works a bit better for my allergies.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Benadryl-Allergy-Kapseals-review-7402
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Cetirizine-Hydrochloride-Generic-Zyrtec-review-228a

I didn't feel that my allergies were totally controlled.

One pill a day rather than having to take a pill several times a day for relief.

Immediacy
These are slow release pills which means they last a long time but don't start working as quickly as shorter acting allergy medications.

Claritin works for me!

from Middleboro, MA

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

I have tried different allergy relief tablets, but Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets work the best for me. Once allergy season hits, I begin taking one Claritin daily until the allergy season is over. For me, that is early spring to the beginning of summer and then again in late summer through autumn.
My allergies are mold and mildew in the spring along with some of the tree pollen. Once the trees are done leafing out and I have cleaned my windows and window sills, I can stop taking my Claritin.
In the late summer and fall, my allergies are mostly caused by ragweed. Claritin takes care of this allergy, too. Outdoor flowers don't seem to be a problem, but some flowers, like lilies cannot be brought into the house unless I take my Claritin.
I have tried other allergy remedies, but none seem to work as well as Claritin. It is so much easier to use than the nasal sprays which tend to choke me and irritate my throat. I am so glad that I found Claritin and did not have to continue using the spray.

Not worth the money

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

I have been a life long allergy sufferer, and tried every treatment out there. Claritin is by far one of the worst. I have tried it many times over the years, always for at least four weeks of regular use, and have never seen an improvement of any of my allergy symptoms. I have even tried a variety of doses at my physicians suggestion, including as many as two pills twice a day (one pill once daily is the package directions). The symptoms I was attempting to treat included hives, runny nose, nasal congestion, allergy induced asthma, headaches, and itchy watery eyes. The reason I have attempted Claritin do many times is because it is 100% not sedating, which would be amazing if it gave any allergy relief. It is also inexpensive, and available over the counter. Unfortunately my symptoms are just too tough for this tiny pill, so my vote is save your money and take sonething else!!

Effective for Our Allergies

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

My husband and I both have seasonal allergies, and prefer to deal with them only as they occur - meaning no prescriptions for us. When the spring rolls around we both start taking this 24 hour Claritin on a daily basis, and notice our symptoms really diminish within a day or so of starting.

He gets itchy and watery eyes, and congestion. I also have a stuffy head, but get the random sneezing, and actually wake up some mornings with swollen eyes. This products works well for both of us, neither of us have drowsiness or sluggishness because of it. We're not 100% but we're not incapacitated, and we don't have to worry about higher cost medications and doctor visits (and co-pays).

This product is often on sale and there's always coupons in the paper during peak allergy season. As always buying a higher volume box will cost less per pill, and with two of us taking it we never wind up throwing anything out. We'll keep using this product for our basic seasonal allergies.

Great for Longer Term Allergies

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

I have terrible seasonal allergies and have tried almost every medication, prescribed and over the counter, imaginable. Claritin is among the best I've tried.

I really like that you only need one tablet a day. I usually take mine with dinner so if it makes me sleepy that's okay and I just go to bed early and in the morning I wake up without the usual runny nose and watery, itchy eyes.

For the several weeks a year that I deal with allergies this is the best option I have found for long term use. Others are good for the short term, but Claritin is the best for longer term use.

It is small and easy to swallow. It also does not create any tummy upset when taken with food, which is extra nice when you have to take it for weeks on end.

The drowsiness isn't as bad as other brands, and when taken at night I wake up feeling as usual in the morning.

I definitely recommend this to seasonal allergy sufferers who need to take an allergy pill for a longer period of time.

• Immediacy:

There's both pros and cons with Claritin

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

Claritin is a pretty good product overall. It definitely does not cause drowsiness as the advertising suggests which is a good quality for both myself and my two sons, but it does seem to take too long to "kick" in and doesn't fully hit all of the allergy symptoms.

Claritin seems to only work well when it is taken every day to the point it has a chance to build up in your system.---like taking it for several days in a row. At least that is the only way I've been able to obtain results that satisfy my symptoms somewhat. M itchy eyes are scarcely relieved by this product, though, regardless of how often I use it.

The little tablets are very easy to swallow, even for my younger son. They also only have to be taken once per day which makes incorporating Claritin into part of daily routines quite simple.

Immediacy
It seems to take a very long time for Claritin to kick in once my allergy symptoms start surfacing. It works better when used for prevention, before the symptoms start showing themselves.

This stuff works

from Greer, SC

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

Back when I first got diagnosed with allergies several years ago this stuff was prescription. My doctor wrote me a prescription and I took it. I remember being so relieved and being able to finally breathe. Several years later Claritin is no longer prescription, but still works just the same to give such wonder relief from allergy symptoms. If you have ever seen the commercials, this stuff works just like that. Before taking the medicine you feel in a fog and just down right yucky. You can't breathe, you can't smell, your whole nasal passage is clogged. After you take Claritin it's like your whole head is clear and you can finally breathe.

The only reason I give this medicine a seven is because it is not natural and does the work for your body instead of letting your body do it for itself. I'm not really one for medicine so I don't use this anymore (haven't for sometime now), but if you're not really concerned with natural things this stuff does work. It's easy to use (just swallow a pill). It works fast (and give you 24 hour relief). And is really effective.

Absolutely the best.

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

A few years ago when Claritin became available as an over-the-counter medication instead of prescription, I was thrilled. It works better for me than any other allergy medicine I've tried, and that's saying a lot because I've tried a lot of different brands and medications.

Claritin works great for me. It gets rid of all my allergy symptoms (the usual sneezing, watery eyes, congestion, headache) without leaving me feeling drowsy or fuzzy-headed. It also lasts all day for me, so one pill in the morning when I know it's going to be a bad allergy day and I'm set for the rest of the day.

Claritin pills are tiny and easy to swallow. The blister packs are also easy to open.

Immediacy
Claritin starts working for me within a few minutes to an hour. I take it as soon as I get up and by the time I'm out the door in the morning, it's already doing it's job. It also lasts all day, so I don't need to take a second Claritin or something else to get through the end of the day. It works well on heavy allergy days as well.

Claritin Rocks

from Provo, Utah

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

When I was younger I used to break out in hives over the smallest things. Anytime I got a virus or just wearing sunscreen would trigger the hives. We tried multiple products but claritin was the best for clearing up the hives. It also didn't make me drowsy so I could drive .
Another thing I liked about claritin was that it was just over the counter, so I didn't have to have a prescription in order to get it. It is also pretty strong. You only need one a day but it may take you a few days to completely clear up all the symptoms. You can also take claritin for seasonal allergies, congestion and more.

This product in effective in multiple areas. It doesn't cause drowsiness. It clears up hives caused by allergies and doesn't cause side effects.

Really easy to use. It is a small pill. You just take it with water.

Immediacy
Works within a day of taking it. You may need to take it for a few days before the symptoms totally clear up.

I take Claritin Tablets.

from Muskegon, MI

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

I am a user of Claritin for my allergies and sinus. I have taken Claritin for a few years now and it seems as though my system is becoming immune to them. I have really bad allergies to dust, pollen and ragweed that comes in the spring. Even when I take my Claritin in the morning, I still have reactions where my nose starts to run or I get sneezing spells that I have to take another allergy medication. I've asked my doctor about switching but he reminds me that Claritin is non-drowsy and I can use them whenever I'm working. I'm not saying that Claritin has not helped my allergies, but I'm looking for a different medication. I would try the Claritin-D, but my insurance doesn't cover this medication. I would recommend Claritin for anyone who has mild allergy or sinus problems, but for someone whose allergies are as severe as mind. Besides the fact that they are covered by my insurance, they do help keep my nasal passages from becoming to inflamed or swollen to the point where I'm really feeling bad and unable to breathe efficiently.

It's a product that is not for really severe allergy problems.

All I take is one tablet a day.

Immediacy
It seems as though when I take a Claritin, it doesn't work anymore. I think I have become immune to them.

Helps my allergies

Comments about Claritin 24 Hour Allergy Tablets:

Claritin is my favorite choice for allergies. I have some pet allergies and own a cat, as well as seasonal allergies that crop up in the spring. My allergies are by no means terrible, so if you have really bad allergies you may want one of the stronger allergy medicines. I usually take this at night and it helps me feel good for the whole next day. I take them at night because even though they claim to be non drowsy, they still make me tired. If I take any other allergy medicine in the morning I will be sleepy all day, but claritin is the least offensive in this area. So if I forget, I can take in the morning and just be a bit tired rather than falling asleep at work. This stuff really kicks my allergies, lasts for the whole 24 hours, and is not terribly expensive (plus they are always offering coupons). I think this is a great daily use allergy medicine for people who do not have terrible allergies.

works for me, but I'm not sure it would be great for people who suffer from bad allergies

Immediacy
I do not think they start working right away. Taking at night helps with this.