Other Shampoos:

Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver

Pros

Cons

I love this shampoo!

I have recently (about 3 months ago, actually) decided to stop coloring my hair and let it become it's natural color.  Shocker!!!  It's a silver gray, but I kind of like it...I visited a beauty supply store for a product to add shine and softness, as my medications tend to dry my hair and make it dull and lacking in body.  (I have a sister-in-law that loves to point that out every chance she gets!)  The storeclerk recommended "Shimmer Lights" by Clairol.  It's formulated to add shine to very light blonde or silver hair.  I bought the shampoo and the matching conditioner, and have been impressed.  After shampooing, my hair is shiny and soft, with no 'yellow' tones, which I am told are a problem for graying hair.

If you are also gray and would like to add shine to your hair, I suggest you find and purchase this product.  I've been very pleased with it.  Look for it in your beauty supply store; it's a professional-grade product.  It's in a pretty lavender-colored bottle.

Pricey

It does help with the brassiness of bleached, highlighted, or dyed blonde hair, but it doesn't make hair soft or shiny. The bottle also leaks easily, and makes a purple mess of my tub. The conditioner is not worth the money. I would rather use my regular deep conditioner so my hair has some softness and shine.

Amazing shampoo just for blondes and silver hair

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

I really love this Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo for blondes and silver hair, it works so good on my hair. Its a dark purple shampoo that's thick in texture smelling like a powder fragrant. It enhances my blonde into looking a lot more vibrant. The purple cancels out any yellow that my blonde starts to turn. My blonde is a lot shinier and it looks refreshed. It deep cleans my hair and makes my hair feel healthier. I always think of this shampoo as a toner but its not its just a shampoo that enhances and removes any unwanted color in the blonde or silver. I don't have silver hair so I wouldn't know how it works for silver but for blonde I can because my hair is blonde. I would recommend this to anybody with blonde hair because it brings life back into dull hair making it look healthier and shinier. My hair is a lot more manageable and it always looks like I refreshed my color. This shampoo is a bit pricey but itswell worth every penny.

Very Effective Shampoo for Gray Hair

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

I started going gray in my twenties and by my forties had very pretty silver hair. Since I'm a smoker, however, over time the cigarette smoke tends to discolor my hair and gives the front area a somewhat beige appearance. My hairdresser told me to use a purple shampoo which would help brighten the silver and might tone down the beige. Clairol Shimmer Lights is perhaps the third one I've tried and I like it better than the others. I wet my hair thoroughly and apply the shampoo quite thickly on the areas around my face (the beige areas). Then I use a normal amount on the rest of my hair. I leave the shampoo on for about five minutes before rinsing it out (I stick strips of toilet tissue on my forehead to catch any drips while I'm waiting.) Once my hair is dry I actually can see a difference. The silver strands are brighter and the beige areas have diminished and look more silvery. My hairdresser told me that my hair is taking on a bit of the purple coloring. Although that may sound odd to some, it does blend well with the silver and it doesn't look "purple". The shampoo moisturizes my dry hair well. I alternate using this purple shampoo with regular shampoos since I don't want to use any purple shampoo daily. I had trouble finding this product in my usual shopping haunts and was able to order it online very easily.

It does brighten my gray hair and help hide the beige areas. My hair really does look somewhat shimmery once it's dry.

The scent is rather conventional and it smells much like many other shampoos. There's no definable scent - it doesn't smell of flowers or citrus or anything else I could specifically recognize. A rather nice scent but ordinary.

Brassy free at a cost

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

I purchased this product at Sally's Beauty Supply back in 2012. It DOES do a great job at cutting down red tones, but it is also super drying. I wash my hair with it, rinse, and apply this again and let it sit on my hair for a few minutes. Let's review the pros and the cons:

Pros:
-Tones down brassiness better than anything I've tried
-Smells like Vitabath (this might be a con to some people but I personally like it)
-Very pigmented thus getting more bang for your buck

Cons:
-Sooo drying and makes my hair feel like straw....ugh, why?!
-The bottle leaks from the nozzle
-Can only get it at Sally's (I hate Sally's) or online

Overall 8/10.
I am still searching for something that will give me the pigment without the dryness. If only Jirmack's purple shampoo was more pigmented, THAT would be my holy grail.
I find that I avoid using this until I am in desperate need, solely because of the dryness factor.

Every Blondes SAVIOR!

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

This is a toning shampoo. I want to be point blank about that because I love this shampoo and I don't want it to take a bad rap for not providing all the magical tricks that other shampoos provide.
That said, this purple shampoo eliminates brassiness in a snap! Seriously- so much so, be careful how long you leave it one because it will do its job! Anytime I have been platinum this is in my shower! I keeps blonde hair looking phenomenal and every hair dresser I have ever met swears by it.
I would caution against using it for every shampoo- since it does tone your hair it can dry your hair out a bit and using too much can make the violet tones too strong. So use in moderation and you'll have some killer blonde bombshell locks going on.

This is the best of the best as far as toning shampoos are concerned. I have used MANY different kinds but always wind up coming back to Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver. Its the best. It works every time and you can tailor it to achieve what ever level of toning you want for your perfect blonde or silver hue.

The scent leaves a bit to be desired. Its strong. But, it's worth it.

This is a really cool shampoo!

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

This stuff is pretty neat. I have naturally dark brown hair, with caramel and blonde highlights, my stylist recommended this stuff to help keep my highlights fresh and not dull looking. I was surprised as I had always spotted it a Sally's Beauty supply, but thought it was just for real blondes. It does keep my hair fresh and healthy looking when I use it once a week.

It is really effective at keeping my highlights from dulling out and turning really brassy, it's the only brand that I will use. I saw a difference after maybe the second or the third washing. I didn't know what would happen after I saw my purple hands in the shower and I kinda freaked out but it did wash out and my highlights did not turn purple, thankfully.

I find that it has a slightly odd scent, takes some getting used to. For some reason it reminds me of that old man v05 smell from my youth! I do get accustomed to it and it doesn't linger on my hair for too long after washing it.

Adds shine, gets rid of brass

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

This product does wonders for blonde and gray hair. It is one of the best color depositing shampoos I could recommend. I used to work at a beauty supply store, and I recommended this to customers with blonde or gray hair who complained of brassiness or dullness. This makes the hair look shiny, gets rid of brassiness, and makes the hair look much healthier. I used this product myself after dying my hair blonde, and it was very effective in getting rid of the brassiness of my hair. It really enhances color, and it gives natural-looking results. This is not a hair dye, but a color depositing shampoo. I would recommend this product for anyone with blonde or gray hair, whether it is thick hair or fine hair, along with the Shimmer Lights Conditioner. This shampoo also has a pleasant smell (unlike many other coloring shampoos). You can find this product and a generic version made by GVP at beauty supply stores, such as Sally's. It is definitely worth the price!

Wonderful for platinums!

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

I love Clairol Shimmer Lights for blondes and silver! I've been using this line for years on my platinum white hair, and it works wonders. My hair has been bleached a lot over time, so when it's time to touch up my roots, if they come out yellow, I just use Shimmer Lights for a few weeks to get rid of that brassy yellow. It's purple based to cancel all the yellow tones in your hair. It's good to use more than once a week, or just once a week if you prefer. I love this stuff!
The cost is usually reasonable as well. The smell is average when it comes to shampoo smell. It leaves your hair soft and workable after rinsing, not all dry and damaged. I recommend this to anybody trying to lighten their hair without using so much bleach.
You can usually purchase this at any drugstore or beauty supply store, such as Sally's Beauty Supply.
I will always use this for my blonde hair. I have not tried the other items for reds or brunettes.

Shimmer Lights Keeps My Hair True Blonde

from In Upstate, NY

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

I have my hair colored a very light blonde. For years, I would come out of the salon with my hair the perfect shade, but then after a couple weeks of shampooing, my hair would get this brassy light orange color. We live in the country and have a high iron content in our water, and it was clear that the water was causing my hair to pick up that orange hue. We have so much iron, that if we go on vacation and forget to dump the dogs' water bowl before we leave, the water bowl will be orange when we return after a week. I did an online search to see if there was anything that I could purchase that would combat that iron. I read that Shimmer Lights had worked for many people. I really doubted that it would help me, though. I purchased the Shimmer Lights at Sally's, had my hair colored again, and only use the Shimmer Lights. I cannot believe what a difference it has made in preserving my color. I have been using it for over a year now. Each time I shampoo my hair, I work it into a lather , put a plastic cap on, then let it set for about 10 minutes (more if I notice my hair getting brassy). After that, I condition. My hair remains this light lovely blonde with NO trace of red, orange, or brassiness. Some people have reported that this has been very drying to their hair; therefore, I always deep condition after use, and I have had no problems with dryness. Honestly, I was one step from having my hair colored back to brown after years of fighting that orange tinge, but thanks to Shimmer Lights, I am still a blonde, a very happy one!

Shimmer Lights has been 100% effective for keeping my hair blonde.

The scent is nice.

Pricey

from Uniontown, PA

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

Great for blondes. Bad for a mix of highlights (color/bleach)

Comments about Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo - Blonde and Silver:

I think it works better for people with just bleach in their hair. Not a color application....for example: a gradual ombre with both a light shade of color and bleach.

The only reason i say this didn't do the job, is bc i have the ombre style. I naturally have really dark brown hair and my hair stylist applied a warm walnut color to the middle of my hair and bleach on the tips. the trouble with this style is with time i get yellow AND orangy brassy tones....this shampoo is violet meaning it only helps the yellow tones but even applying it to my hair (i did it maybe 8 different times)....i've always felt like it made my warm chestnut color WORSE. luckily i bought Aveda blue malva shampoo and it does WONDERS on both my yellow and orangy tones. i STRONGLY suggest if you have a gradual ombre (not just bleach) then use the Aveda shampoo.

its not a bad smell however it does smell a bit old lady like. If you have a nice smelling conditioner you should be fine.