3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

Peppie Le Pew is a Perfect 10

I have been doing hair for years.  I mean, gosh, I have been doing hair since I was in high school.  I remember my best friend sobbing because I told her that I was going to make her look like Farrah Fawcet and I did.  PERFECTLY.  Apparently she did not like Farrah, and it never occured to her that I would actually succeed with her hair in doing what I promised.

One of the people whose hair I work on regularly is a male who has been prematurely gray for a long time.  He needs to maintain a darker haircolor for the workplace since there is a bit of a bigotry against gray hair and any other *aging* factor in the workplace.

I have used just about every hair dye out there at one time or another from professional to over the counter.  I have not been very impressed with many of the brown hair dyes.  They are often too brassy or too red in their composition.  His hair is on the ashy side which you would think would dye up nicely, but for some reason, no matter what brown we put on him, we end up with something red or brassy.

The first dye we found that worked better than the others was Gray Busters from Clairol.  Clairol usually has very reddish undertones to their brown dyes.  No matter what type of Clairol we have used the end result fades out to reddish tones that often earned this unfortunate man the nickname of bozo from guys which were especially mean at times.

Gray Busters medium neutral brown (5n) gave a pretty nice brown with excellent coverage, except that over time, the hair looked dull and the roots were not dyeing nearly as well as the rest of the hair making the hair look too dark and the roots too light a la Peppie Le Pew.

**WHAT IS CLAIROL PERFECT 10 LIKE?**

I had two opportunities to try CLAIROL PERFECT 10 HAIR DYE for free at some promotionals that they were doing at the local shopping mall.  I decided to try it out not expecting anything very good.

What we discovered was a pleasant surprise.

The kit comes with plastic salon quality gloves, a bottle of developer with two choices of tops- a fine point applicator top and a comb top with holes on each prong for distribution of the hair dye.  There is a tube of dye to mix with the developer, and also a tube of conditioner.

****

**HOW DOES THE KIT WORK?**

The mixing is very easy.  The container is nice to use.  I did not find that the comb tip to the applicator bottle worked for this situation.  The hair is tapered long (think Michael Landon) and the comb did not distribute the hair dye evenly enough for the hair to make it work using that way.

The dye takes about 10 minutes to start darkening.  It will dye the skin although not quite as badly as some brands we have used.

The color looks a lot darker than it ends up appearing.  Once applied, we usually wait about 20 minutes for the dye to take to the hair.  That seems to work better than the recommended 10 minutes.

Once the color has been used a few times, we start with using the product on the roots and then blending down through the hair the last few minutes and letting it set.  That seems to work better than overall dyeing.

There is no horrible smell and it does not burn the skin at all.  The gel quality of the dye makes it not as prone to dripping as other brands can be.

**WHAT COLORS I HAVE USED**

I have only used the Medium Natural Brown 5 and the Medium Ash brown 5A haircolor in this brand, but I have used it quite a few times- having purchased it many times since the introduction packages we were first given to try out.  I found that putting in some highlights before dyeing worked better than the straight dye for this person, but each situation would be different.

I have used CLAIROL PERFECT 10 HAIR DYE 12 times on this same hair and it does tend to dry out a bit over time.  I find that changing to another dye from time to time for a break works better, but I find that the PERFECT 10 HAIR DYE in ASH BROWN 5A is the best most natural brown that I have seen in hair dye of any brand so far.  No red or brassy colors when it fades out.  The MEDIUM NATURAL BROWN does have some red to it, but not as much as other brands of brown dye.  I prefer the MEDIUM ASH BROWN 5A.

It is long lasting and I find that we can go for about 8 - 10 weeks between full dyeing and about 3-4 weeks for the roots- and the dyeing is on new grown only- not because of fading at the root area.

**FINAL COMMENTS**

All in all for the brown dyes, I pick PERFECT 10.  FERIA used to be a great choice, but has bad gray hair coverage and we can only use as an alternate dye once in a great while.

This dye will dry out hair a little over time but most dyes will do that.  The conditioner in this dye kit leaves the hair VERY shiny and natural looking and it lasts a long time too.

**UPDATE**

I just used the CLAIROL PERFECT 10 HAIR DYE in MEDIUM BROWN 5 again and this time, I found that the roots were not staying dark like they did before.  I am wondering if they changed their formula a bit.  The hair faded out a little faster than previously and with a touch more red in it.  It still is not as bad as other brands, but still made me wonder what is going on with it.  No changes happened with the hair being dyed at all or the process of it.

After a full dye situation, color was really nice, but, I saw that the roots were fading out again in only a two week period.  I will continue to update on this as I continue to experiment with it, as I have not purchased a new kit recently.  I want to see if this inconsistency would be due to production not being as strict or change in formula or what.

**LATEST UPDATE**

How STUPID I feel.  Apparently, I had been buying the Medium ASH Brown 5A at first and got mixed up and changed by mistake to the MEDIUM NEUTRAL BROWN 5.  The MEDIUM NEUTRAL BROWN 5 does not stay in nearly as well as the MEDIUM ASH BROWN does.

THE MEDIUM ASH BROWN 5A CLAIROL PERFECT 10 is the only ash brown dye I have ever been able to use on this person that it does not turn red on.  Yes, ANY ASH brown color has been a horrible nightmare on this head of hair I have been doing for years, until this one.  The CLAIROL PERFECT 10 in MEDIUM ASH BROWn 5A is the best brown haircolor I have ever come across in all of the years of working with this particular color range of browns.  I highly recommend it.

To warm it up a little bit, mixing some of each color together would be a good experiment too- if I ever do it, I will update this review and let you know how it turns out.

So, let me repeat- **the really GOOD color is the MEDIUM ASH BROWN 5A.  **

****

I think it may be causing my hair to break off.

I've tried Perfect 10 for the past 3 months. My hair is very strong and takes quite a bit of abuse. In the past I've used chemical straighteners to tame my natural waves, all the while coloring over gray and using a blow dryer and flat iron. But in the past three months since I've started using Perfect 10, I have seen a noticible amount of breakage in my hair. I think I'm going to have to use some heavy duty conditioners, minimize the flat iron, and switch back to L'oreal.

Clairol Perfect 10 - not so perfect!

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

I bought 3 boxes of Clairol Perfect 10 because it was being discontinued at my local drug store. The color I chose was Darkest Brown. My hair is normally a medium to dark brown with some grays. With about 1/2 inch of normal hair growing out it was time to dye again. My previous color was a deep chestnut brown but faded so it was lighter than my roots. I've never had a bad dye until Perfect 10. The Darkest Brown came out pure black and my hair ended up losing my natural body so now I have frizzy black hair. NOT WHAT I WANTED AT ALL. It did cover grays and I only left it on for the 10 minutes.

• Ease of Application:

This gave me a great blonde color!

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

I am a natural blonde but I color my hair a lot. I am a dark blonde and love to have a lighter blonde color year round. My husband and I are on a tight budget so I cannot afford to get my hair colored at a salon. Therefore, I have experimented with many brands of hair coloring. I was very pleased with the color Clairol gave me. I was also please with the amount of time it stayed in my hair.

This product definitely gave my hair the blonde color I was looking for. I was pleased with how well the color matched what the box said it would look like. I was also pleased with how well it held in my hair. I didn't notice it fading at all for about two months.

Ease of Application
I don't ever think dying your hair yourself is completely easy. However, this was as easy as it could be. You mix the color, put some gloves on, and apply it your hair. I do mine starting at the roots and going out. I have long hair so it takes some time but that would apply with any brand.

• Ease of Application:

Definitely not a perfect 10.

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

Clairol Nice 'N Easy Perfect 10 Haircolor needs to renamed. It is definitely not worthy of being called a perfect 10. I used this color system most recently and I was so upset with the results. I bought a color that matched the color I normally use in a different brand, but my hair was PINK when I was done dying it. I do not dye my hair blonde and my hair is naturally brown, so there is no reason why this dye should have turned my hair pink. It was a dark pink/black that really looked terrible. This hair dye also dried out my hair something awful. I have had to buy all new shampoos and conditioners to try and combat the damage so I do not have to cut off all my hair. I will never ever buy this hair coloring system again.

Be very careful what color you buy and always color test. I did not color test because it was supposed to be the same color as the other dyes I have used. It was not.

• Ease of Application:

Color didn't turn out & faded fast.

from Michigan

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

This product says that you can color your hair in only ten minutes. You are supposed to have shiny rich color and it can be applied within ten minutes. I was skeptical and I was right. The color faded fast. It didn't cover the grays around my hairline and my hair didn't turn out to look like the color on the box. I wanted reddish brown and the color barely showed up on my hair. On the box it shows the color results for dark brown hair and I liked the result on the box. You are supposed to be able to use the color I used on my hair and have it turn out. It didn't. Also the color came out uneven and it wasn't a rich tone. It was dull. I was pretty disappointed after using this product. I don't believe the 10 minutes was long enough. It also seemed to make my hair dryer even after the special conditioner. I used this product a long time ago and forgot why I didn't use it again for a long time. I purchased it this time because I liked the color on the box and it was different than others. It didn't turn out.

• Ease of Application:

Always makes my hair turn a different color.

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

I love how easy to apply this product is. You just use the convenient tip and mix the dye, and then apply it immediately. It can be done in a very short amount of time, which is very nice. The only thing is that sometimes the color of your hair will turn out to be completely random and it won't match the rest of your hair with the roots that you just dyed.

• Ease of Application:

This is my favorite kind of hair dye

from Cromwell, IN

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

I have tried several different hair color's in the past, but for most of them, I can say I didn't like the outcome. The color was either to off, or it just didn't stay in your hair long enough for anyone to even notice. I know that Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color is one of the more expensive hair colors out there, but it's well worth your money. All you have to do is leave it on your head for 10 minutes and it's time to rinse. I know what your thinking, that isn't even remotely possible, but it is. It stay's in your hair and dyes it. The first time I used it, I was running late for work and decided to just throw it in my hair because it said only 10 minutes and I like other people was very skepticle, but when I rinsed it out and took my blow dryer to my hair, I couldn't believe my eyes. The color had stayed. So if your looking for a hair dye to use, try giving Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color a try.

The color sticks to your hair in such a short time. It only takes 10 minutes to color your hair

Ease of Application
It takes no time at all to add this to your hair

Perfect 10 hair color is close to salon quality

from Mayville, WI

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

I love this because it is close to the salon color I get. The downside is the smell. It is very overpowering. It is easy to apply and the color seems to last as long as you use color protector shampoo. I color my hair every 6-8 weeks. The product also is semidrying to hair.

Nice n'Easy Perfect 10 is...more like an 8.5

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

During my blonde years, I would touch up with just about any hair color brand that would go on sale as long as I could start the week a brand-new blonde. You can achieve these same results with Perfect 10, but you may have to add on to your hair-coloring dynamics if using this product alone.

Perfect 10 is a recommended brand, but just for touch ups. A first-time "future blonde" may not be able to count 100% on Perfect 10 for a first-time "unablonder" experience. Instead, I would suggest to get your hair for professional treatment at the salon, and use Perfect 10 as a follow up to freshen up your look once or twice a month as needed.

As I always say when it comes to hair products, plan ahead how blonde you want to go. If you want a totally-blonde look, go pro first, then use Perfect 10. This product is also great for budget haircare, and, to my knowledge, it is still widely sold in pharmacies, supermarkets, and beauty stores everywhere.

Will not last very long. I suggest to use this product once or twice per month for root touch ups or to freshen up a professionally-done highlighting/blond treatment.

Ease of Application
This is one of the easiest hair care products to use. For teenagers this would be a great product because it is not uber-permanent, nor expensive. It is also a good product to touch up on the gray spots.

Revlon Hair Color

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

This product was wonderful. I could not find any other brand that actually took my hair to blonde like this one. it completely covered gray and was very easy to use. I have found this product to be the only one that I will purchase in the future. I was completely satisfied with the dye and conditioner as well. It did not dry out my hair or leave it damaged. I have recommended it to all my friends and family.

Very strong, brilliant color. Absolutely showed same results as shown on bottle.

Ease of Application
Very easy to use and apply. Very satisfied that it did not drip or create mess. Very easy to mix and combine. Did not dye anything other than my hair. Did not dye clothes or ears nor did it run down the back of my neck. Was not messy as many of the hair dyes that I have used in the past. Came with gloves and detailed instructions that were very detailed. Also offered a help number in case of any problems or chemical interactions.

• Ease of Application:

Not as easy as it should be...

from Rib Lake, WI

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color:

This was one of the first hair colors that I ever used, and I was excited to try it because of the bottle/brush thingie... and because it only takes ten minutes. I found that it wasn't as great as some of the other products out there.
As far as hair colors go, this is better than some. I absolutely love the fact that it only takes ten minutes. Some take much longer than that, and who wants to sit in their bathroom alone for longer than that - or with anyone else around, for that matter.
As far as messiness, this hair color is better than some and it is also worse than some. The brush thingie helps you apply it, but a foam is still a lot less mess.
Price wise, this is a little more expensive than I would like.
This hair color smells chemically and strong, just like most others.
The color that you receive from this product lasts a long time.
In conclusion:
This is a reasonable hair color. I feel that I can actually recommend it to you, if you aren't a fan of the foam colors that are out there.