2.8

2.8

Pros

Cons

Clairol Nice'n Easy Foam works, but not ideal

I received a coupon for a free sample of Nice'n Easy Color Blend Foam through a Facebook promotion. Prior to this, I had only used ammonia-free, semipermanent color that washes out after about 28 shampoos. I thought I would give this a shot not only because it was free, but because my grays have become more numerous and harder to cover. There did not seem to be as many shades available as in other lines. I opted for the light auburn. On the positive side, the gray coverage was great and the color stayed true to what was pictured on the box for the results for medium brown hair. The foam made it easy to see where I was applying color and I didn't have any drips. My hair, which is dry and prone to breakage, responded well and the conditioner left it in great shape. It was great to have an extra packet for later use. On the negative side, the smell was overwhelming to me despite the ceiling fan in the bathroom. I have asthma, and it really irritated my lungs. I would definitely recommend using it next to an open window with a fan blowing out. Also, it would be easier and less messy if you could rope a friend or family member to help you.

Foam, schmoam. It Ain't So Nice 'n Easy.

I was thrilled to receive a coupon for a free box of new Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam hair color, as I had wanted to try it. I have had auburn-colored hair for over a year now and had recently switched to reddish-blonde. When I went to use the coupon, they did not have anything similar in stock, so I went with medium golden blonde, just for a change.

Because it is in foam form, I was expecting an aerosol can. I should have known better, as it would probably explode in a can. Instead, it comes with a pump bottle. Like most other hair dye, you pour the colorant into the bottle of developer.

With this one, you then insert the foamer cap into the bottle. Only thing is, though, you do not pump the bottle, you squeeze the middle. After I squeezed it once and saw what was coming out, I thought, Oh, no, it is runny! But you have to squeeze the bottle 2 or 3 times before it starts foaming. I will say that it is quite cumbersome to be squeezing the middle of the bottle each time you need another handful of foam. I also thought there was no way the contents were going to cover my long hair. Wrong again, as there was even some left over. For short hair, you only use half.

The solution is left on your hair for 25 minutes. After I rinsed it out, applied the conditioner, and rinsed that out, my hair came out VERY tangled. I am used to using a lot more conditioner than what is contained in the packet. I should have used the second packet that is supposed to be used a week after it is colored. I will know better in the future.

Now that I know what to expect, the process should go more smoothly next time. My hair color turned out strawberry blonde (I started out with auburn hair), which is what I was shooting for, and my roots are covered too. It will be interesting to see how long the color stays before my roots show again.

**UPDATE**: I won't be buying this again. My roots started showing after about 3 washes. What a dud.

I wasn't happy with the results. I had to recolor my hair within a couple of weeks of using this.

Ease of Application
It's not that easy if you have arthritis in your hands. I thought it was a pain to keep squeezing the middle of the bottle to generate the foam.

Messy messy messy.

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

The Clairol Nice and Easy Foam needs a lot of tweeking before it is perfected. I found it very difficult and messy to use. The foam dispenser is very difficult to squeeze which is how you get the product out and onto your head. It was very messy because the foam ran down my face and neck. I much prefer the cream kind because it stays on your head.

It does not cover the gray 100%. And it wore off within a few washings. I do not have very much gray hair just some on the sides and my temples. I expect a hair day to perform better than this. The box says permanent hair color but it sure doesn't act like it is permanent when it comes off after a few shampoos.

Ease of Application
Squeeze bottle is difficult to squeeze and get the foam out. I believe that Clairol needs to go back and redesign the bottle. Make it out of softer plastic that is easier to manipulate so that older arthritic people like myself can get the product on their heads.

Bad. Just bad.

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

I used this to dye my hair dark brown, which it did for the most part, but there were patches of my lighter hair all over. I made sure to cover all parts of my hair and even had my sister help me, so I know we are not at fault. In some spots, the strands of hair would be dark brown with about a centimeter of my normal hair color peaking through throughout the strands. Also, the smell is disgusting. It is really strong and gave me a headache that lasted for hours. It smells like chemicals. This also dried out the ends of my long hair and made it feel crispy. It was pretty easy to apply with the foam, but I think that is what might have made the color come out in patches. After having it in for a couple minutes it dries tacky and hard which makes it harder to wash out. I kept the color in for three washes with a color-safe shampoo before I covered it with another dye. The parts that were dyed kept up pretty well, just slight fading.

Leaves your initial color poking through in spots.

• Ease of Application:

An easy application, color is so so

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

When I discovered that my local drugstore had this brand on sale , I decided to try it. I had used another brand of foam color and had been disappointed by the results. Since I use other Clairol products, I had good expectations for this product. The foam applicator was indeed easy to put on, and cleanup was extremely easy. I also felt that I had less hair color stains on my skin, due to the thickness of the foam hair color. However, I was disappointed in the actual quality of the hair color. I used a medium brown color, and felt that it had an orangey hue to it. Also, the duration of the hair color left much to be desired. Within a week, my grays were showing through, and by the fourth week, I could see that the hair color had completely washed out.

This hair color, while easy to apply did not have the richness and depth that I desired. The tone of the hair color was overly brassy and I was disappointed in the amount of hair color loss and how quickly my grays showed through.

Ease of Application
Easy cleanup, no drip marks on my furniture or my skin. The thick foam stayed on my head and I didn't have to worry about putting on a shower cap. I liked that I could move around the house and not have to worry about stains or drips.

Not easy to use

from Texas

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

I bought Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam because I thought it would make it easier for me to color my own hair. I found that the foam didn't make it any easier. It was very hard to apply to my hair evenly throughout. I felt like this hair color was worse at staining my skin and the towel I was using. It seemed harder to clean or wipe off. After using this hair color I had a few stains on my neck for a while. I felt like the chemical smell was too strong. It was so strong that it bothered my scalp and eyes. Squeezing the bottle was difficult and made it hard to apply the color. One thing I did like was the color. It was very pretty and made my hair look great. That's the only thing I liked about it. I don't think I will be buying this product again.

I liked the color and the way it made my hair look but that's about all I liked.

Ease of Application
This product was not easy to use or apply to my hair evenly.

• Ease of Application:

Easy at-home coloring option.

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

I use Nice n Easy Color Blend Foam hair color every 3-4 months. I only dye my hair a shade or two darker than my natural color, but it comes out even every time. Before trying this product, I had no experience with at-home color. I had always gone to a salon. This product is SO easy to use. It comes with everything you need in the box and very detailed instructions. Hair color turns out very close to the samples on the box. I absolutely LOVE the conditioning cream that comes with it. It makes my hair so shiny and silky and really helps maintain the color through washes. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for an easy, affordable way to color hair at home.

Gets the job done. Not quite salon-quality, but still has a nice, even color and shine.

Ease of Application
Super easy application. Just mix the two bottles and squeeze foam into your hands. Apply to hair the same way you would apply shampoo, and the retouch roots and part.

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

I have used many many hair coloring products. This is the worse product I have ever used. not only was it a mess to use but the color of my hair wasn't even close to what it showed on the box. I wanted my hair to be dark brown. My hair turned a dark red color. My hair looked so blah after. It didn't even look natural. I have bought many a clairol nice 'n easy hair products. Never have I been so disappointed in a product. My son told me I looked like a clown that is how I felt too. I sent him to the store to get me some new dye. I still use clairol nice 'n easy hair products but never ever again will I try foam. It will be hard for me to try any of their new products after that disaster. I have always gotten gloves to wear while dying my hair but I didn't even have gloves in the box. It was very hard and messy to wash the foam out. I didn't like the smell of it either. Very disappointed in the makers of this product.

Splotchy, uneven results

from Indiana

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

I bought this foam style hair color after trying the normal liquid style of the same brand. I thought that the foam would be easier to use and wouldn't result in as many drips around my bathroom (and maybe save my towels). As far as being drip-free, the hair color holds up; I didn't have any rogue hair color in my bathroom. Unfortunately, the foam is so thick and airy that it's hard to get it to work in to my hair. It seemed like I had to keep going over the same spots over and over, which meant that part of my hair was processing long before other parts. Also, I think that parts of my hair didn't get decent coverage because of the foam. The result was a splotchy, uneven mess. I went back to the store and bought a traditional liquid color to fix up my hair. It just be a learning curve thing, but I don't want to find out.

The places where the foam really worked in to my hair had decent coverage. Unfortunately, the foam application style meant that the coverage was uneven in a lot of areas and splotchy.

Ease of Application
This really seems like it would take some getting used to in order to apply it correctly. The foam is thick enough that applying it deep in to my hair and evenly was difficult.

Nice color, poor coverage

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

The foam is a great advancement in hair color. I can color my hair (thick and wavy) is half the time as other hair color. I still use my professional clips to separate my hair into sections and the professional brush to make sure I get good coverage at the roots/hairline. The product is a bit smelly so make sure you use it in a ventilated room. The problem I have with this hair color is the coverage on grey. I have one patch of grey near my part and this hair color doesn't cover it well. It's always still three shades lighter and almost reddish in color (my hair is dark brown). It's less noticeable than the grey, but it's still not good enough.

Doesn't cover grey well enough to keep using. The color is off and tends to be too red to blend in with surrounding hair.

Ease of Application
Super easy application. Easy to spread with just fingers. Doesn't drip off hands as you try to apply it to hair. Seems to be easier to tell what areas have been covered completely than the more liquid hair colors.

Horrible hair color!

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

This Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam is the worst hair color I have ever used! I've been dying my hair for about ten years now. I started coloring it when I was in middle school. Sometimes I go to the salon, but most of the time I use an at home coloring system. I've used a few Clairol products, and I had no issues with them. I was excited when I saw the commercials for their foam hair color. The product had only been on the shelves for a few weeks when I went to buy some. When I sat it on the counter at the store, the cashier immediately told me not to buy it! I though that was a little strange, but she insisted it was horrible. I got it anyway because I still had high hopes for it. I put the color into the bottle and shook it like the box said. I squeezed the bottle to get some of the dye out, and I could barely get any out! Once I did manage to get some of it, it was difficult to tell where it was on my head. I wasn't sure if my entire head was covered or not. After I washed and dried my hair, there were a lot of huge patches with not color on them. I will never use this again.

• Ease of Application:

Fades fast, leaves hair dry and coarse.

Comments about Clairol Nice 'n Easy Color Blend Foam:

Easy to use, simple instructions. Color looks good when first applied but it loses it's shine and fades very fast. My hair felt good the first week but after that it felt dry and coarse. I had a ton of frizz as well which I first blamed on humidity rather than the product. During and after week 2 my hair looked horribly dry, felt dry and was terribly frizzy. I had to use a ton of conditioners and anti-frizz control products to get my hair to look decent. Overall I don't really care for this product. For the price I have found others that work much better, smell better and don't leave my hair looking and feeling like dried out scrub brush.

The color fades quick at roots and mid sections. It doesn't do well covering grey hair at all. I have a tiny bit of minor grey at the front of my forehead, this area either didn't dye at all or faded with a week or two. My root color faded out in 2 weeks. Mid sections faded out around week 2 to 3. The ends stayed true for a very long time.

Ease of Application
The box came with clear and easy to follow instructions. The application process is simple. There are gloves inside the package to protect your hands from staining and the chemicals. The product however smells bad and makes the eyes water.