2.8

2.8

Don't use Citi Smith Barney Investments

from Skokie, IL

Comments about Citi Smith Barney Financial Investments:

My wife and I had some IRA accounts with Smith Barney for a number of years, with a broker whom I knew. The investment options were somewhat limited and their funds generally performed at average levels.

However, the customer service options changed from the local branch to a national office years ago and the qualioty of service degredaded substantionally. Often, I would have hold times of more than 30 minutes and it took many calls and many escalations to correct an error that they made when my wife closed her IRA accounts.

I cannot recommend them in any way.

Your Broker/Adviser is Key

from Stamford, CT

Comments about Citi Smith Barney Financial Investments:

Most of my friends have financial advisers, but I've always resisted.  Recently however, a life change left me with some challenging financial decisions, and I agreed to meet with an adviser at Citi Smith Barney.  He helped me not only analyze my present needs but ones projected far into the future, and also helped me put together a detailed budget plus identified tax consequences to discuss with my tax adviser--well beyond the call of duty.

He took a lot of time getting to know my comfort level with varying degrees of risk, and asked a lot of questions to familiarize himself with my current lifestyle, projected lifestyle, and goals. Of course, I checked his credentials online...no problems to report. Among a number of excellent recommendations he made was a rollover to a financial instrument which I've been EXTREMELY happy with--one of the best investments I've ever seen for someone in my financial position and at my stage of life, and with no pitfalls or drawbacks that I can discover--and I've looked!

Even though I felt I was fairly well informed about finances, and tend to research a lot before I  invest, I've come to think of the fees as paying for a very knowledgable personal financial coach--after all, that's his field, not mine.  My advisor is happy to meet with me in person at my convenience, and has always answered questions and explained everything to my complete satisfaction, including incredible follow-up--so I'm comfortable paying Citi Smith Barney for a degree of personal service I find valuable.

You need to be painfully honest about your own financial savvy, and also take a careful look at the individual you're considering for advice, in order to find what works best for you.

Avoid the Smith Barney pirates

from Slingerlands, NY

Comments about Citi Smith Barney Financial Investments:

We have had Smith Barney IRA's for over 20 years. They started ok, we survived all the mergers and acquisitions, even went along with the whopping $40/year per account that they charged for mailing us four statements a year (which were unintelligible, by the way, by far the worst format in the industry.). But this year, they went to $75/year per account maintenance fee for their four mailings. We bailed. Plus when we closed our accounts, they charged the $75 fee plus another $75 for "Termination Fee". Cost us $600 just to close fouor accounts. These guys are really pirates. CitiBank is getting all these Federal bailout funds but they are still sticking it to their customers. I say, let them go down.

depends on who your advisor is, mine is good

from Tarpon Springs, FL

Comments about Citi Smith Barney Financial Investments:

My money is in good hands with my advisor.  He keeps me abreast of the economic climate, helps me when I don't understand and provides me with knowledgeable insight.  My other advisors have not been customer service friendly and my newest advisor of over four years now is very helpful even in this economic turmoil  I don't think a brand is required for investments, although it may help- i think it has a lot to do with the individual advisor and the type of service they can provide for you specifically.

They rape their investors, one by one...

from Old Town, FL

Comments about Citi Smith Barney Financial Investments:

It is truly best I do not write a review....why.? The truth hurts and I assure you the one person so far that has rated this company is most assuredly a moron. I will add that it is obvious they like their broker, the single most important thing a broker sells is themself. If you cannot sell yourself, you will not survive the industry.

Does this reviewer have a clue about investing....absolutely not!!! My advice is...be extra careful of all reviews, especially those written by a total novice. A LITTLE knowledge is very dangerous...!!!

Solid, Trustworthy and Reliable - everything I ask for!

from Fleming Island, FL

Comments about Citi Smith Barney Financial Investments:

My family and I have been invested with Smith Barney for decades.  I have only experienced solid, trustworthy advice.  My grandparents have trusted them with their hard-earned money since the 70's.  Since then, they have proved to be reliable, knowledgable and steady.

As my employment has transferred from different companies and I save into 401K's, I roll them to Smith Barney and feel confident they are in good hands.  I have also set up Simple IRA's as well as invested in mutual funds.  I do not babysit my investments, as I know over the long-haul they will prosper.

During this difficult economic time, I am sure everyone has growing concerns over their finances as well as their investments.  I feel confident that my investment is in good hands to recover well as our economy heals.