1,012 reviews
CHI-GF1001
Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron

Read 1,012 Reviews

Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron

Pros

• Good quality (5)
  • Durable (3)
  • Heats up fast (3)
  • Works great (3)

• Frizzy hair (3)

Strike while the iron is hot!

I started off with some cheaper brands that were ok, but rapidly taken over by my tween daughter. For Christmas my husband bought me the **CHI Flat Iron **because I really needed one. Sharing just wasn't working when it comes to two girls needed to get ready at the same time. Let's just say that we are back to sharing - and that I'll be buying her a **CHI Flat Iron **soon.

What do I like about the **CHI Flat Iron? **

- it heats quickly

- it's lighweight

- it straightens my hair quickly and smoothly

- it gets the job done

What don't I like about the **CHI Flat Iron? **

- I wish it was wider so I could get more done in one pass.

- The cord is SO long, it gets caught on everything my sink corner, my dresser knobs, wherever I use it I get it caught on something.

My hair is curly, heavy and long. Think of it as lots of heavier than fine hair - but not thick. I live in Houston so I often have a problem with my hair frizzing. Usually using the **CHI Flat Iron **and some good product takes care of that, but not always. But, simply put, it's the best I've found at what it does and while I worry about how fast and how hot it gets I just try to be careful and make sure no one is around when I do straighten my hair. Since I only do that every once in awhile, it's not a big deal if it takes a little longer with the narrow bands.

Good result, bad warranty!

I really like how this product works, it straightens the hair great.  Because it's thinner than most hair straighteners it allows for it to get close to the scalp and really straighten.  I have naturally curly hair that used to take me up to 2 hours to straighten but with the Chi it has allowed me to take under and hour, everytime!  The only problem I've seen from this product is that their lifetime is short...maximum of two years, which is something myself and my friends have experienced it.  The ceramic pieces will break out, the wiring will go wrong and it'll just stop working.  Which is extremely frustrating because the company won't give you a new one or allow for money back!

LOVE this flat iron

from Texas

About Me Minimalist

Pros

• Creates Shine
  • Durable
  • Good Quality
  • Smooths Frizz
  • Works Great

Cons

• Size is small

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I had another brand flat iron for years that I needed to replace. I saw a sale on this Chi flat iron so I picked it up. I am so glad I did, this is one of the best flat irons I have ever used. I have naturally curly, wavy and frizzy hair most days I wear it natural with some styling products but every now and then I want the straight and sleek look. This flat iron gives me just that.

It heats up quick, is super easy to use and gives me sleek straight hair while also making my hair look shiny and feel incredibly soft. Also the style lasts all day long which is amazing. So far I have only used this flat iron to straighten my hair, I have not used it to curl my hair.

The only thing I don't like is the size is very small so I can't do large sections of hair at a time. This isn't a bad thing but just makes it take me a little longer to straighten all my hair.

I would highly recommend this straightener to anyone who has curly, wavy or frizzy hair that wants to have sleek and straight hair. It works well, heats up fast and lasts all day long. I only wish it was a little bigger.

best straightener ever

from Lawrence, KS

Pros

• Good Quality
  • Heats Up Fast

Cons

• Snags hair

• Curly Hair
  • Long Hair
  • Straight Hair

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I will never buy another straightener after purchasing one of these. I know the price can seem high but it's worth it. I have very wavy hair and it works great.

Chi Original Flat Iton gets 3 stars

from Miss Pops Portland, Oregon

About Me Beauty Conscious

Pros

• Durable
  • Good Quality
  • Versatile

Cons

• Limited Settings

• Curly Hair
  • Straight Hair
  • Thin Hair
  • Travel

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

This flat iron does straightens hair easily but being that I have curly and wavy hair it leaves my hair too poofy. I think it would work fabulous on hair that is not too thick and isn't various textures.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Be careful

from Georgia

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

Cons

• Damages Hair

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I love my hair to be as straight and smooth as possible. I just love the way it looks and feels. I still remember my first flat iron and how it changed my life.

On a trip to California I had to borrow a friend's flat iron when I realized I'd forgotten my own - you know, that moment of panic when you can't believe you forgot something this important?! Hers was a Chi. I was really impressed by her Chi because it got my hair so straight so fast and I could get it closer to my scalp then mine.

Even though I had paid a LOT to my hair stylist for my own flat iron and it still worked great after several years, I went out and bought my own Chi. I liked it so much, I gave it as a birthday gift to someone. I used it for over a year. And then I started realizing the damage it was causing my hair. The reason it got my hair straight so fast was it was a lot hotter than I realized. And even with product to protect my hair from heat and being careful to never leave my hair on the metal for long, my ends were crispy. My hair stylist finally broke it to me that I needed to cut nearly 2 inches off my hair to get rid of all the damage.

I use great moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, don't wash my hair more than once a week, and try not to stress it too much because I do color and highlight it. The only thing I did different was use the Chi. I've now switched back to my old "safer" flat iron although I only use it minimally.

My favorite hair tool

from New Johnsonville, TN

Pros

• Durable
      • Good Quality
      • Heats Up Fast
      • Smooths Frizz
      • Works Great

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I have used my CHI for six years. At times, I was using it daily. Now that I am a stay at home mom, it's used a couple of times each week. I have never had a problem with my CHI. I love that it quickly heats up and is easy to hold and manage. I have tried other flat irons that were bulky and awkward and were so hard to use. My hair has some natural body, but if I try to leave it looking natural, it just turns to frizz. My CHI makes it smooth and shiny and my hair stays put all day. I also appreciate that the CHI is easy to store. Once cool, I put my CHI back in the its bag and into a drawer. No worries about cluttering up the counter top or taking up too much room. One word of caution; because it does get very hot, be careful about touching any where but the handle. It's easy to forget, but a painful mistake.

The absolute best for long wavy hair

from Des Moines, IA

About Me Minimalist

Pros

• Creates Shine
          • Good Quality
          • Heats Up Fast
          • Multiple Settings
          • Works Great

Cons

• Damages Hair

• Long Hair
          • Thin Hair

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I received my CHI as a wedding gift from my husband, as he knew I would never spend that much on a flat iron. I have to say, 2.5 years later, the price was well worth it.

I have naturally thin wavy hair that gets very frizzy, as I have so much of it. I never felt like any flat iron on the market would do the trick until I tried a CHI.

The heat setting goes all the way up to 420 degrees, and although that does the absolute best job, I know it isn't as great for my hair. I stick to around 360 (unless it's humid or rainy) and it does the trick. the CHI leaves my hair shiny and straight in very little time. I love the 60 second heat up, as I often find myself about to leave the house only to find I have missed a spot. I can quickly fix my hair in just a few minutes without being late.

I would recommend a CHI to everyone looking for a flat iron, and I will probably never own another brand again.

Fastest hair straightener I've had

from Ellis, KS

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I love this hair straightener. I have always been a little reluctant to spend too much time getting ready in the morning. For me, fifteen to twenty minutes is about the most amount of time I will spend on my hair. I have tried many other straighteners before, but they all took too much time to warm up and actually straighten my hair. This chi straightener is perfect for me because it warms up quickly and also does a great job getting my hair to look straight without talking too much time. I would recommend this hair straightener to anyone, especially people like me who are a little less than high maintenance when it comes to their beauty routine,

My hair is always straight when I use this straightener, so I find it to be very effective.

I have had this chi straightener for over two years, and it is still working wonderfully. The mechanism that keeps it closed has started to wear down a bit, but that is not much of a problem for me since I store my straightener in a bag when I am not using it. Other than this minor detail, everything else is working great.

Chi Flat Iron

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I have had my chi flat iron for 8 years now and I love it. After doing some research and reading reviews on the item i decided to buy this model and I am very happy with my purchase. It is a great price for the product, not too expensive and it is definitely not a cheaply made product either. I have very thick and curly hair and I usually have to blow dry my hair straight before using the flat iron. The chi works great with my hair and gets it very straight very easily. I don't always blow dry my hair straight, and I can run the chi through my curly hair and it still comes out very straight every time. It takes between 10 to 20 minutes to straighten my hair with it, depending on if I blow dry it straight or not. I wouldn't recommend putting any hair product in your hair before using the flat iron though. If this one ever stops working I will definitely buy another Chi Flat Iron. I am very pleased with the product and brand and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Fast, Efficient, Sleek - LOVE

from Brooksville, FL

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I received this flat iron from a friend who didn't need it. I have naturally thick, short, curly hair and I must admit, I was skeptical of the job it might pull on my crazy hair which is already dry and frizzy (I combat those issues with my favorite hair products that I have reviewed on Viewpoints!). I needn't have worried. This cute little iron started out winning me over with its sleek design and heat-resistant storage bag. Then I was impressed with how quickly it gets to the desired temperature. Lastly, with a little help from some Sleek & Shine Flat Iron Spray by Garnier, this iron made my naturally curly hair completely straight in almost no time! I highly recommend this brand and this specific iron, especially for girls with very curly hair who are afraid of the unnatural results an iron could produce (i.e. split ends, drying, more frizz, etc.).
          NOTE: Don't ever use a straightener on completely wet hair - it will smoke and smell terribly (I should have guessed that...). Also, I wouldn't recommend using a straightener (any) without the frizz-reducing protection of some sort spray specifically for flat iron use. All that said, enjoy your iron and your straight hair! I do. :)

BEST THERE IS.

from Kansas

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

This is the BEST flat iron you will ever buy. I have had this original chi for 7 years. SEVEN YEARS. I have replaced it recently with a newer one, but the other one still worked perfectly fine & I still have it here as one to use while traveling or something [and the new one was a pretty shiny blue color, OOOO!] I have went through quite a few other brands of flat irons and none of them actually kept my hair straight for more than an hour. I have naturally wavy hair and anytime humidity gets near me, POOF, instant furball head, but not with the chi flat iron. It heats up extremely quickly and is quick to use, even for hair like mine. The only issue I ever found with the Chi [which the problem doesnt actually bother me, but maybe some people it will] is that the outter part [the black part] gets dirty easy, and you may need to wipe it off occasionally or it gets all grimy. It's worth the price & they used to have warranties on them...they probably still do, I'm not sure.

Seven years and counting....!