1,018 reviews
CHI-GF1001
Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron

Read 1,018 Reviews

Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron

Pros

• Good quality (10)
  • Heats up fast (9)
  • Durable (8)
  • Smooths frizz (8)
  • Works great (8)

Cons

• Limited settings (4)

• Frizzy hair (9)
  • Curly hair (7)
  • Long hair (5)
  • Straight hair (4)
  • Thick hair (4)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Product junkie (6), Survivalist / minimalist (3)

Strike while the iron is hot!

I started off with some cheaper brands that were ok, but rapidly taken over by my tween daughter. For Christmas my husband bought me the **CHI Flat Iron **because I really needed one. Sharing just wasn't working when it comes to two girls needed to get ready at the same time. Let's just say that we are back to sharing - and that I'll be buying her a **CHI Flat Iron **soon.

What do I like about the **CHI Flat Iron? **

- it heats quickly

- it's lighweight

- it straightens my hair quickly and smoothly

- it gets the job done

What don't I like about the **CHI Flat Iron? **

- I wish it was wider so I could get more done in one pass.

- The cord is SO long, it gets caught on everything my sink corner, my dresser knobs, wherever I use it I get it caught on something.

My hair is curly, heavy and long. Think of it as lots of heavier than fine hair - but not thick. I live in Houston so I often have a problem with my hair frizzing. Usually using the **CHI Flat Iron **and some good product takes care of that, but not always. But, simply put, it's the best I've found at what it does and while I worry about how fast and how hot it gets I just try to be careful and make sure no one is around when I do straighten my hair. Since I only do that every once in awhile, it's not a big deal if it takes a little longer with the narrow bands.

Good result, bad warranty!

I really like how this product works, it straightens the hair great.  Because it's thinner than most hair straighteners it allows for it to get close to the scalp and really straighten.  I have naturally curly hair that used to take me up to 2 hours to straighten but with the Chi it has allowed me to take under and hour, everytime!  The only problem I've seen from this product is that their lifetime is short...maximum of two years, which is something myself and my friends have experienced it.  The ceramic pieces will break out, the wiring will go wrong and it'll just stop working.  Which is extremely frustrating because the company won't give you a new one or allow for money back!

Love the Chi brand

from South Carolina

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Creates Shine
  • Durable
  • Good Quality
  • Heats Up Fast
  • Multiple Settings
  • Smooths Frizz
  • Works Great

Cons

• Time Consuming

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I've had my Chi hair straightener for about 8 years now and it still runs GREAT! I use it about once a week and it leaves my hair smooth and frizz free. Right now the straightener gives a squeeky noise but I'm sure its due to the years of use from my sister and I. The straightener protects my hair due to the plates. It works great when making curls as well. I wish they had this a bigger size since I have a lot of hair, long and thick and can be time consuming to straighten with a smaller one but overall works great. I would definitely recommend and would purchase again.

Perfect straight hair

from california

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Durable
  • Good Quality
  • Heats Up Fast
  • Multiple Settings
  • Smooths Frizz
  • Works Great

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

This by far is my iron of choice. I have bought other brands in the past and the Chi is the one that has last me the longest. I am going on almost 5 years with my Iron and still works great. It get pretty hot which is good for my frizzy puffy hair that needs the heat. I love the long cord that it has. I definitely recommend this iron since its been very good for me.

Chi isn't what it used to bed

from Cherry Valley

About Me Minimalist

Pros

• Heats Up Fast
    • Smooths Frizz

Cons

• Limited Settings
    • Not Effective
    • Snags hair

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I've been a long time flat iron enthusiast. Chi was my first flat iron and I had Chi for many years. I received this flat iron for my birthday and I just don't like it. It doesn't get as hot as it needs to he to be effective. It pulls my hair out, causing breakage. I have thick, semi wavy hair and this is not the right iron for me.

great product

from sabina ohio

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Creates Shine
    • Durable
    • Good Quality
    • Heats Up Fast
    • Smooths Frizz
    • Works Great

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

my daughter loves it and very happy with it .

My go-to!

from Savannah, ga

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Creates Shine
      • Durable
      • Good Quality
      • Heats Up Fast
      • Smooths Frizz
      • Versatile
      • Works Great

Cons

• Limited Settings

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I have owned this tool for two years now and it still looks/works as good as it did on day 1. The tool itself has been used during travel repeatedly and is very durable! Scratch/chip/fade resistant. It heats up in under a minute and heats evenly, send gives a lasting, straight, shiny finish. I also use it to create perfect beach waves.

Still the best!

from Centralia, IL

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Creates Shine
      • Durable
      • Good Quality
      • Heats Up Fast
      • Smooths Frizz
      • Versatile
      • Works Great

Cons

• Limited Settings

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I've been using this iron for probably over 15 years and I'm going with the "if it ain't broke" motto. I've used cheap straighteners, expensive straighteners, different sizes, different brands and I always go right back to my 1" CHI! I have two girls that I get ready every single morning and I can count on this straightener getting knocked off the counter at least once per day (it's always on counter and plugged in waiting to be turned on!). In over 15 years I have broken 2 and both of those took repeated abuse before breaking. My fave part of this straightener is that it doubles for my curling iron/wand. The outside covering is rounded as compared to most other straighteners that are squared. The rounded edges make PERFECT curls in all three of us girls' SUPER THICK curl resistant hair. I am a diehard Paul Mitchell girl but he just can't sell me on his straighteners because I love this one so much! The reasonable price is a huge bonus as more expensive straighteners don't even compare to this one! Oldie but a goodie!

LOVE this flat iron

from Texas

About Me Minimalist

Pros

• Creates Shine
      • Durable
      • Good Quality
      • Smooths Frizz
      • Works Great

Cons

• Size is small

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I had another brand flat iron for years that I needed to replace. I saw a sale on this Chi flat iron so I picked it up. I am so glad I did, this is one of the best flat irons I have ever used. I have naturally curly, wavy and frizzy hair most days I wear it natural with some styling products but every now and then I want the straight and sleek look. This flat iron gives me just that.

It heats up quick, is super easy to use and gives me sleek straight hair while also making my hair look shiny and feel incredibly soft. Also the style lasts all day long which is amazing. So far I have only used this flat iron to straighten my hair, I have not used it to curl my hair.

The only thing I don't like is the size is very small so I can't do large sections of hair at a time. This isn't a bad thing but just makes it take me a little longer to straighten all my hair.

I would highly recommend this straightener to anyone who has curly, wavy or frizzy hair that wants to have sleek and straight hair. It works well, heats up fast and lasts all day long. I only wish it was a little bigger.

best straightener ever

from Lawrence, KS

Pros

• Good Quality
      • Heats Up Fast

Cons

• Snags hair

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I will never buy another straightener after purchasing one of these. I know the price can seem high but it's worth it. I have very wavy hair and it works great.

Chi Original Flat Iton gets 3 stars

from Miss Pops Portland, Oregon

About Me Beauty Conscious

Pros

• Durable
      • Good Quality
      • Versatile

Cons

• Limited Settings

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

This flat iron does straightens hair easily but being that I have curly and wavy hair it leaves my hair too poofy. I think it would work fabulous on hair that is not too thick and isn't various textures.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Be careful

from Georgia

Pros

Cons

• Damages Hair

Comments about Chi 1" Original Ceramic Flat Iron:

I love my hair to be as straight and smooth as possible. I just love the way it looks and feels. I still remember my first flat iron and how it changed my life.

On a trip to California I had to borrow a friend's flat iron when I realized I'd forgotten my own - you know, that moment of panic when you can't believe you forgot something this important?! Hers was a Chi. I was really impressed by her Chi because it got my hair so straight so fast and I could get it closer to my scalp then mine.

Even though I had paid a LOT to my hair stylist for my own flat iron and it still worked great after several years, I went out and bought my own Chi. I liked it so much, I gave it as a birthday gift to someone. I used it for over a year. And then I started realizing the damage it was causing my hair. The reason it got my hair straight so fast was it was a lot hotter than I realized. And even with product to protect my hair from heat and being careful to never leave my hair on the metal for long, my ends were crispy. My hair stylist finally broke it to me that I needed to cut nearly 2 inches off my hair to get rid of all the damage.

I use great moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, don't wash my hair more than once a week, and try not to stress it too much because I do color and highlight it. The only thing I did different was use the Chi. I've now switched back to my old "safer" flat iron although I only use it minimally.