3.9

3.9

Pros

Cons

Char-Broil Kettle Charcoal Grill

My husband and I purchased the Char-Broil Charcoal kettle type grill this summer.  Our gas grill went out on us during a backyard bbq.  Go Figure!.  Needless to say we needed something fast.  We decided on this because the cost was reasonable, it wasn't to big and it was something we could have as "an extra" for the next bbq.

Some of the nice features are that it is a kettle style whic means its large round deep bowl shaped.. It has a removable enclosed porcelain ash catcher that is easy to discard the ashes. Also, this offers a bottom stainless steel grate connected to the legs to place any trays or barbeque utensils you may have. It has a chrome adjustable air vent for your temperature control on the top of the sturdy kettle lid. The air vent is to control how much smoke you want to stay in the grill. The air circulation that determines how much heat or fire you want within the grill is controlled by 2 sliding vents on your enamel ash catcher container. This grill is well made with 4 legs offering 2 rolling casters and 2 stationary feet. The Weber had 3 legs that had 2 rolling casters and 1 stationary leg. There are 2 solid handles offering a place to hang your barbeque utensils. There is a cooking grid height adjustor inside the grill meaning you can lower or raise your cooking grid to be higher or lower to the coals. The depth and width of this grill is 18.5 inches and the weight is approximately 24 pounds. The assembly instructions were complete and assembly took about ½ hour. This is a perfect size for serving 1-4 people. The grill is large enough for 4 good size rib-eye steaks laid out all nice and juicy sizzling over the charcoal with the hickory wood chips.  We did make New York strip steaks on this grill and let me tell you they were Amazingingly delicious! With the **Char-Broil Kettle Charcoal Grill**, it is portable enough to take with you on camping trips or to the beach. Try to do this with one of those huge gas grills that cost about as much as an inside cooking range.

Does ok but doesn't hold up very long

Overall it does ok on cooking everything. We have used it for a variety of different foods and they have turned out good, but it will not hold up or last for very long. It is not the best option on grills unless you're looking for more of a short term one.

It cooks pretty well for what it is. We haven't had any problems with the food coming out burnt or anything. It has cooked everything pretty evenly.

Versatility
We have cooked a variety of things from baked potatoes, corn on the cob, steaks and chops to even fish. It has worked good for everything we have used it for. No complaints on how it cooks.

It is very basic and easy to use. There's not really much to it. It is a basic charcoal grill. It has the vent holes on top to help with temperature.

We use just an ordinary grill cleaner/scraper brush and it normally will scrape everything off fairly easily. There have been a few things that stuck on it a little more but overall it is pretty easy to clean.

It is not very durable at all. This isn't a grill that you can expect to have for many years and it hold up. We have only had ours for right at a year and it isn't holding up very well. It didn't take long before the legs started getting wobbly and became not sturdy anymore. Also the ash catcher is rusting off. Since the day we got it the lid never really fit right and you have to fight with it to get it to close right.

It's a basic charcoal grill design. There isn't much to it, but it isn't a very durable design. It does have the tray deal at the bottom which is nice to store charcoal and things like that.

Does ok but doesn't hold up very long

Char-Broil Kettle Grill a great starter grill

from Erie, PA

Comments about Char-Broil Charcoal Kettle Grill 81-23069:

A few years ago my local PBS started showing the new channel "Create" which I really enjoy watching. Two of the shows they feature is Steven Raichlen's "Primal Grill" and "Barbecue University". I have always used the rather old gas grill that is my back yard but upon seeing Steven Riachlen's shows about grilling with charcoal it got me wanting to try it out for myself. I came upon this grill on clearance at K-Mart during a end of the season sale and thought I would give it a go.

This grill performs great I've never had any problems with the performance of it. However if I'm just making hamburgers and hot dogs I tend to just use the gas grill because it's faster to light it rather then have to fool around with the charcoal.

Versatility
I've used my Char-Broil Grill to cook the food with indirect heat, something I couldn't do with the old gas grill, to smoke and just as a normal grill.

The Char-Broil is very easy to use and is wonderful for beginners.

The Char-Broil is like any grill and it does get dirty with all the fat and BBQ sauce and everything. However if you use drip pans under your food it does tend to keep the grill cleaner.

This is the third summer I've had my Char-Broil Kettle Grill and so far it's held up pretty well but there are a few spots of rust on the top damper vent. Last year I left my grill out and somehow it got knocked over and now it has a large dent on the side but it still works great.

This is more or less a standard design for a charcoal kettel grill and is great for a beginner.

Great cooking!!!

from Madison, AL

Comments about Char-Broil Charcoal Kettle Grill 81-23069:

I got this grill because I could not afford the one touch Weber. I must say that I have been pleasantly surpised! I have found that the design of the grill gives the food cooked an amazing flavor and it cooks really quickly! I would without hesitation and actually have recommended this grill purchase to several of my friends. They love it too

• Versatility:

Cheap option for a grill

from Southport, CT

Comments about Char-Broil Charcoal Kettle Grill 81-23069:

We have owned the **Char-Broil CharBroil Kettle Charcoal Grill** grill for 2+ years because we weren't sure if we wanted to pay more for a gas grill . We owned a smaller Char-broil grill in the past so we decided to buy a kettle top grill.Charcoal grills are great if you like to add wood chips for a good smokey flavor to your grilled food. This grill requires some initial assembly(the legs) and is easy to use. We don't use lighter fluid. just some newspapers. The base of the grill is beginning to rust and the legs are wobbly now, but it still grills relatively well. We do worry about smoldering ash and the threat of fire from a grill like this. We might keep this grill for smoking food and buy another grill that runs on gas.

not a gas grill but still great

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about Char-Broil Charcoal Kettle Grill 81-23069:

i have never used a charcoal grill before, so when our gas grill went and caught fire, my mother in law bought me this grill as a birthday present. i must say i really enjoy it.  i'm not sure how to compare it to other  charcoal grills but compared to a gas grill this is what i have:

negatives:  if you donot have any charcoal you cant use it.  once you light up your charcoal you can't just put out the flames, no way to adjust the temperature,

postives: once the coals are hot, you can cook several meals at one time.  the taste on this grill is awsome.  you don't have to worry about running out of gas, and if you can catch stores that mark down charcoal at the end of the traditional grilling season, you can stock up on coals for a great deal.

i have been totally turned onto charcoal grilling.  for us, this has been a great gift.  one that i would always suggest over and over again. can't go wrong!

I have been pretty happy with my CharBroil Kettle grill overall.

from Caledonia, MI

Comments about Char-Broil Charcoal Kettle Grill 81-23069:

I got the CharBroil Kettle Grill a couple of years ago on clearance and have been pretty happy with it.  It works great and the charcoal spreads out pretty evenly for even cooking.  The only thing is it does not seem as sturdy as the old Weber grill that I had before this one.  However, it has held up much better than I thought it would have after three grilling seasons, so I have been pretty happy with it.

Great cooking at an affordable price

from Tallahassee, FL

Comments about Char-Broil Charcoal Kettle Grill 81-23069:

I've had the big hard to move or difficult to operate grills and I've always come back to the Char-Broil Kettle 81-23069 Charcoal Grill.  I'm someone that loves the tastes of charcoal grilled veggies and meats.  The other big gas grills that I've used and still own have been a bit too much when it came to operation.  With the kettle grill, all you need are some Kingsford charcoals and whatever wood chips you want to bring out the char grilling taste.  The Char-"Broil Kettle provides easy use.  Very easy to clean and even easier to store once finish.  For me it's the simplier the better and this kettle grills give you just what you're looking for.  The price is very reasonable and you get great tasting food.  You determine how slow or fast you want your food to cook from the flow vents located on the top of lid and slid vents on the bottom portion of the kettle.  Really, what more can you ask for?  You won't go wrong if you purchased this grill.

My husband loves his Char-Broil charcoal grill!

from Payson, UT

Comments about Char-Broil Charcoal Kettle Grill 81-23069:

Last year my husband was on the hunt for a charcoal grill. He didn't want a propane grill- it HAD to be charcoal. Well we shopped around, btu really couldn't find anythign we wanted to fit into our budget. The ones that did fit into our buget were table top grills which my husband venemously swore he didn't want! The we came across the DEAL of the year!!! A Char-broil Charcoal grill for a whopping five bucks! WHAT?!?! Thinking this was a mistake we took it to the front knowing they were going to tell us it was a mistake. Nope! It was a legit price for an awesome grill! We found it on a closeout sale. And it was WAY worth the five bucks plus! We have had friends over for barbeques all summer long and it has been awesome! It doesn't take up too much room on our balcony which is a big plus because it isn't that big. It has the cool storage in the front and a rack on the bottom. It would be awesome if it had a little shelf, but for five bucks I'm not complaining!

Char-Broil Kettle Charcoal Grill

from Bath, PA

The CharBroil Kettle Charcoal grill is perfect for beginners

from Fort Worth, TX

Comments about Char-Broil Charcoal Kettle Grill 81-23069:

This was my very first grill and it was great to learn on. I still use if for the small occasions but had to get a bigger one after I became a grill master. I have have had it for over three years and other than the wheels coming lose every once in while I have had no major issues with this grill. I would recommend this grill to any beginner or anybody that doesnt have the room for a larger grill. This was my very first grill and it was great to learn on. I still use if for the small occasions but had to get a bigger one after I became a grill master. I have have had it for over three years and other than the wheels coming lose every once in while I have had no major issues with this grill. I would recommend this grill to any beginner or anybody that doesnt have the room for a larger grill. This was my very first grill and it was great to learn on. I still use if for the small occasions but had to get a bigger one after I became a grill master. I have have had it for over three years and other than the wheels coming lose every once in while I have had no major issues with this grill. I would recommend this grill to any beginner or anybody that doesnt have the room for a larger grill.