Other Cold & Flu Medicines:

Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges

Pros

Cons

Medicine in a Lozenge

Cepacol in my experience have been much stronger than other lozenge products, but at the cost of taste. These usually have quite an after taste, but for more severe sore throat pain they work much better than their better tasting competitors. Cepacols are usually not that expensive though which is a major benefit, so I would definitely use them when I really wanted to stop my throat from hurting.

Congestion Relief
Lozenges in general give a decent level of congestion relief and these do so as well.

Chest Congestion Relief
Being for sore throats, these will not give you too much relief for chest congestion, unless it is causing the problem in your throat at which point these would not be the most effective treatment.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Sore, achy throats do tend to feel better after using these. They are strong and do not taste the best, but your throat will feel better which is the whole point.

Cough Suppression
For a throat lozenge, these do not do much for cough suppression, but if they can cure your throat that might help your cough.

Lightweight lozenges for minor sore throat pain

I bought some **Cepacol Extra Strength** **Instant Relief Sore Throat Lozenges in Cherry** for my husband and I to try. Although we have different kinds of sore throats, I hoped these would help both of us to feel better. I had poor results with Chloraseptic Sore Throat Lozenges, Cherry but hoped these extra strength lozenges would be much better at soothing my throat. These are somewhat tastier and a little better but still, lightweight lozenges. **My Use** These lozenges are supposed to numb and cool the throat to temporarily relieve throat pain. The taste is decent for a lozenge of this type. There is a definite cherry flavor but also a menthol one that somewhat overpowers the taste. The flavor is much more tolerable than Chloraseptic lozenges. This product contains two medications to help relieve pain - menthol and benzocaine. These are the same ingredients that most numbing lozenges have but the amounts of each of the two medications are different from lozenge to lozenge. My mouth and throat started to cool almost immediately after I tried one. The numbing sensation was there, not so much so that I couldn't feel anything when I swallowed, but fairly strong. I did actually get some relief from these lozenges but for a short time. I think I liked the cooling sensation the most. It made my throat seem less raw and scratchy. My husband's pain was too much for simple lozenges and he took some Aleve and only ended up taking three of the 18 lozenges we had. I took the rest. The numbing sensation is fleeting. I would say these last about 15 minutes and then my pain comes back. The cooling sensation lasts a bit longer and drinking cold liquids is kind of fun because it feels like my throat is freezing which actually makes the pain much more bearable, if that makes sense. At any rate, these taste better than Chloraseptic Sore Throat Lozenges and are a bit more effective at soothing my pain but are still not strong enough for very sore throats like my husband's or even mine. I consider them an adjunct to other pain medication for sore throats and, when used with oral pain relievers, these do a nice job relieving throat pain for a short time. **Conclusion** **Cepacol Extra Strength Instant Relief Sore Throat Lozenges, Cherry** are not going to rid anyone of sore throats but they will help to numb and dull the pain for a while. They taste decent for medicated lozenges and they give off a great cooling sensation that lasts quite a while. Actual pain relief is negligible but, in conjunction with oral pain relievers, these lozenges take the edge of throat pain by cooling and slightly numbing the throat and mouth. I will give these 3 stars. They are OK for minor and short-term pain relief.

Works good for a couple hours. Bad taste

from Denver, CO

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer
  • Effective
  • Relieves Symptoms Fast

Cons

• Poor Taste/Smell

• Sore Throat

Comments about Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges:

They work good but the aftertaste is terrible and lingers. I actually find that the benzocaine in it actually relaxes me for a few minutes which feels nice when you feel like you have strep throat. They work ok but I do have to redose after 2-3 hours.

Best numbing maximum strength cough drop.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges:

I love the Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges. They are the absolutely best sore throat lozenges I have tried. They are very fast acting, and do an amazing job at numbing terribly sore throats. I feel like when I take one of these my whole mouth and throat goes completely numb for quite a long time after I use one. They make bad colds easy to get through, without as much pain.

The ingredients are benzocaine and menthol, which are fast acting maximum strength numbing cough drop, and a oral pain reliever. They have menthol in them too which is does a great job at cooling down and soothing my throat. My throat doesn't feel dry anymore either, because they are extremely moisturizing.

I'm sure if you had a toothache you could just use one of these to make your mouth numb until you can get to a dentist. They are great at relieving any kind of oral pain.

I would recommend these for a severe sore throat and not a minor one. These would be too strong for regular use, but they are great for when you are feeling absolutely terrible.

They make getting through the cold and flu season bearable, these are a must have in any ones home.

Congestion Relief
They do not relieve or help with any nasal or chest congestion.

Chest Congestion Relief
I find that it does not relieve any chest congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It doesn't relieve body aches and pains but it does relieve my sore throat.

Cough Suppression
I felt like these completely numbed my whole mouth and throat for quite a long time. My cough was completely suppressed, and much less severe then it was. It not only numbed my mouth and throat but it moisturized and soothed my throat.

Very Strong!

Comments about Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges:

These Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges are no joke! They are seriously strong!!

These Cepacol lozenges must be new, because I managed to get them fairly cheap as they were on sale already and I also had a coupon. So, they definitely won't hurt your pocketbook. I get the cherry flavor, and in regards to taste, they were okay. Kind of medicine-y, kind of cherry-like. But the first thing you will notice with these lozenges is how effective they are! Pretty much immediately from putting one in my mouth it all started going numb. And trust me, when you're on day two or three of a seemingly never-ending sore throat, sore nose, sore-everything cold, being numb is like heaven! Although, that does mean that these lozenges do numb more than just your throat. Your tongue, your gums, your mouth-all of it will be numb. I know that that is probably annoying to some people. So, if you're one of those, just stick with Hall's. If you really need some strong relief, try these!

Highly effective.

from Kansas

Comments about Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges:

Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges are very strong, just as a warning. They are very good for a sore throat due to the numbing aspect of the lozenge.

These come in a box and are in individual plastic pop outs. I think the instructions said one every 2 hours, so they aren't quite like cough drops. They are much strong than cough drops. The ones I had were cherry flavored. The flavor part really doesn't even matter because you're mouth will be numb almost instantly and you can't really taste them. These are great for sore throats due to the fact that they numb your mouth and throat. I was not aware that they were numbing lozenges and I got a little freaked out at first. Once you dissolve the lozenge your mouth and throat stay numb for maybe 15 minutes after.

I recommend Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges for sore throats! They numb your throat and it's very soothing. These are stronger than your normal cough drop so remember that when using them.

Better Ones out there.

from reading pa

Comments about Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges:

There are better lounzgers out on the market than these. These have a terrible taste to them. They taste like straight cough medicine. They really do not relieve sore throats. There are better ones out on the market that relieve sore throats and coughs at the same time. These are even more, expensive than ones that get rid of multiple symptoms.

Congestion Relief
I do not think they get rid of congestion at all. I think they may relieve a little bit of a sore throat but not really even that.

Chest Congestion Relief
Would not recommend these for anything but a small sore throat.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I do not think these help with aches and pains. Would only use these for a minor sore throat, they are not for when you are feeling terrible.

Cough Suppression
Does not help with coughing. I did not even realize that these were for more than just a sore throat until after I looked at the box. I think these are one of the poorest cough, sore throat drops that are out on the market.

Medicine in a Lozenge

from Lake Villa, IL

Your throat hurts...Try these

from Antioch, CA

Comments about Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges:

Cepacol lozenges are the best out there when I am having a sore throat or cold. They numb the back of my throat because of the benzocaine and allow me to find relief and function properly during my work day. Many flavors are available now and ones with added ingredients such as DM(dextromethorphan) to combat congestion. I personally like the cherry flavor because they do not really have a medicinal taste. They do cost more than regular cough drops such as Halls or Ludens but these definitely soothe your throat better than the aforementioned brands.These are pharmacist recommended. Highly recommended to anyone suffering during flu season.

Works like a charm

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges:

I had gotten Cepacol in the mail as a sample. I don't remember the flavor I tried. It came in really handy recently. One weekend I came down with a terrible cold. Itchy scratchy throat, cough, congestion, chest pain, body aches, runny nose, etc. This product is amazing. The lozenge was very soothing and relieved my sore throat, calmed my coughing and helped with the congestion so I could breathe easier and sleep through the night. I'm really glad that I was able to sample this product before buying, next time I am sick, I will not be buying Halls, or Ricola, Cepacol is the product I'm going to keep on hand in my cabinet. It is the best product for temporary relief until you're able to see a doctor.

Congestion Relief
Helped with congestion so I could breathe easier, especially at night when sleep is very important.

Chest Congestion Relief
Great congestion relief so you can sleep or go about your day. Does not cure congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Does not relieve aches & pains

Cough Suppression
Will suppress your cough as long as you are using the product. Does not cure the cough.

relieve the sore!

from Lexington, KY

Comments about Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges:

I bought this item because it was on sale, I had coupon, and receive rewards from drug store to make it free or something. I am not normally looking into throat candy. Well, not only the price I paid, but the relief I got from this candy, I am very satisfied! I don't consume throat candy that often but when I have sore throat, I want something that works. Well, this is something that I will keep in my mind to purchase if I need it again. My husband also recently used this candy and he was very satisfied as this numbs your throat and lessens yacky pain. I will recommend at least once to give this a try whenever you have sore throat.

• Cough Suppression:

Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges are the best!

from Camp Lejeune, NC

Comments about Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges:

I have tried many brands of cough drops/sore throat lozenges and nothing works as well as **Cepacol Sore Throat Lozenges** for relieving the pain associated with having a sore throat. Halls are almost useless, as are Ludens (which are totally useless). If you have a sore throat, get Cepacol.

Congestion Relief
This product is not designed to help with congestion.

N/A

Relief of Aches & Pains
The only aches & pains these help with is the pain of a sore throat.

Cough Suppression
These do slightly numb your throat, which in and of itself helps with a cough since you can't feel the need to cough, but the area they really excel at is helping with a sore throat.