3.8

Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder

3.8

Pros

Cons

For once, it really does work without prewashing your dishes.

After years of hearing that the new dishwasher detergents work without prerinsing and finding it to be hype, one brand finally delivers.  Cascade Complete does what is says.  While it may be a bit more expensive than the regulars, you get what you pay for.  I own a bottom of the line dishwasher with no bell or whistles so it had to overcome some big hurdles to prove itself.  The resuslts were that the powder removed the grime I purposly left on othe dishes, silverware, glasses, etc.  Most of all, everything came out spotless and shiny.  To me, time is money and I don't have to stand at the sink any longer prior to loading the dishwasher removing every speck of food or stains.  I highly reccomend this product.

"Gimme the old formulation of Cascade!"

I have used Cascade in my dishwashers for as long as I can remember and never had an issue.

So, I'm in the aisle at the grocery store and my familar...Read complete review

So, I'm in the aisle at the grocery store and my familar dark green box of Cascade is nowhere to be seen. Instead, I focus on the Cascade that I do see: "Advanced Power." So I think, it's go to be even better, right? I buy the BIG box (125 ounces) and begin using it.

Hmmm... Not sure about this "Advanced Power" -- my flatware and glasses have a white "film" on them. The glasses don't sparkle anymore. Grrrrr....

Back to the store... Still don't see my familiar dark green box so I get a smaller box (75 ounces) that "shouts" RINSES AWAY RESIDUE, LEAVES DISHES SPARKLING. This version has "Dawn" in it. So, clearly this is the one I NEED.

Back home at the dishwasher, with high expectations, what do I discover? The same white "film" - NO SPARKLE!

Now I'm unhappy - I've spent a lot of money and I still have no sparkle. So I call the folks at P&G, who were very nice to me. The most relevant news I heard was that all dishwashing products had to have the phosphorous/phosphates (sp?) removed. I love the environment and want to protect it but I also want my glasses to sparkle.

If I had known about this looming decision I would have been a naughty consumer and stocked up on the "original" Cascade.

Boo hoo....

Advanced Power? Meh.

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

We've used Cascade for years in two different dishwashers (I don't remember what the old one was, but the new one is a Bosch). It seems like it usually gets the dishes clean. Sometimes there are spots, but it hasn't taken the paint off any of my coffee cups like I've seen happen with other detergents. My main complaint is that this stuff doesn't always seem to dissolve, leaving a rock-like clump of detergent stuck to the little dispenser tray once it's dried. Once in a while pouring more in and running another cycle will take care of the issue, but more often I have to get in there and chip it to bits with a fork before it will dissolve in the next load (and even then, I have to hope it doesn't just make a new rock). This was a problem with both of our dishwashers, so I have to believe that the issue is with the detergent, not the appliance. Still, once it dissolves, it seems to work about as well as you would expect.

A fairly good product with a few extra uses

from Lagrange, OH

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

I typically like to use dishwasher pacs or geltabs, but I recently tried Cascade advanced power dishwasher powder. It is a pretty good product. Obviously it is not as convenient to pop in as the pacs or tabs, but I did appreciate the pour spout on the box to make it a bit easier. It cleaned my dishes fairly well. I did not notice any spots left on the dishes, though I did find a few pieces of dried on food that it did not remove. It was priced similarly to other dishwashing products. One thing I do appreciate about this product is that it is useful for other cleaning projects too. I have used it in combination to remove stains from dishes, pitchers, and even white clothing. It is a good product, and while I do recommend it, I prefer other more convenience dishwashing soap forms to use and will probably choose those in the future. I do not think you will be disappointed in this product if you do use it, however.

Shinny Plates

from Bellmore, NY

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

I like my dishes to look clean when I take them out of the dishwasher and when I use cascade I know I dont have to worry as it performs and works all the time.  I have tried one or two other brands just to see how they match up and there is no comparison this is worth the price and the others might imitate but they dont do the job.  I dont want to take my dishes out and find spots on them and have to either rewash them or do the dish washer again. Unfortunately we all have to many things to do with to little time to do it so the easier and faster I can get something done by a product I know that works makes it easier for me to more on to my next task and forget about this one.

Many brands especially store brands promise to work as well and might cost a considerable amount less but what good is it if it does not do the job.  They say cheap is expensive so dont gamble pay a few cents more and have the piece of mind that you have a quality product.

A lifesaver!!

from North Pole, AK

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

I use Cascade Complete when I do my dishes, and they are so good at getting the dishes clean, I don't even rinse them!! {shhhh!!!!} I am totally sold on this product, and can't imagine EVER buying anything else. :) I actually feel sorry for my friends when I see them rinsing their dishes by hand {they are practically pre-washing them} just because they don't use Cascade. I have gotten some shocked looks when I load my dishwasher in front of some of them, because you can tell they don't believe that anything would ever be able to get them completely clean without spending all the extra time in pre-washing. I am glad that Cascade and I can prove them wrong! In this busy life, I will take any way to save some extra time so that I can spend it doing the things that really matter to me. In the end, we don't remember all the time we spend doing dishes {or not} for our families, and Cascade just gives me more time to spend doing the things that REALLY matter!

No prewashing

from Lehi, UT

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

I don't usually buy name brands, especially one like this that I rarely find a deal on.  But I HATE prewashing dishes, that is what the diswasher is for after all!  I had been using this, but decided to try some cheaper brands, and even regular "cascade".  I wasn't happy with any of them. I had a lot more stuff left on the dishes, and a lot more film and things on glasses.  After going back to the "cascade complete" things greatly improved.  I have no film on my glasses.  I really pack the diswasher full, and I do a rough scrape into the dishwasher, but that is all.  Things come out clean almost all the time.  On the occasion they don't, I leave them in for one more wash & they are usually clean after that.  I don't use quite as much as the dishwasher holds, usually about two-thirds full to try to save money.  But this is one of the few name brand products that really is better, and is worth paying some extra money for.

Have they Changed the Formula?

from Sanford, FL

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

This was our go-to dishwashing detergent for many years, but over the last few months, we had noticed that our dishes were being left with a white, powdery film on them after using Cascade Complete.  I tried all the tricks on the websites about making sure you run the hot water before you start the dishwasher, don't use too much detergent, keep your hot water heater at a decent temperature, etc.  Nothing seemed to help.  I assumed that my dishwasher must be going bad.  Oddly, it was only 3 years old.  I called a repairman who came out to the house and took it all apart.  He couldn't find anything wrong with my dishwasher.  I ran several "cleaners" through it, but the problem was still occurring.  I finally called the company to explain what what happening and they were gracious enough to send us a coupon for a free box to try it again.  It produced the same sub-par results.  We switched to a different brand at that point and amazingly, the powder and film were gone with the first wash.  Based on all of that, I would have to assume it was the Cascade Complete that was the problem.  Sorry to hear it, because it used to be a trusted brand for us.  I know others really like this product so maybe it's a compatibility issue with our machine.

the best thing for people with dishwashers

from kahoka, MO

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

Cascade complete powder is the best thing to use for people with dishwashers. There is no need to prewash so you can save alot of time.It has a great scent, no residue is left on the dishes, and the dishes get totally clean. there is no need for a rinse agent.So cascade complete will save you time and money

my favorite

from Wilmington, DE

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

I bought Cascade Complete gel w/ bleach, not quite believing that it would work as advertised and was pleasantly surprised.  I didn't rinse one thing before starting the machine {a basic dishwasher, supplied by landlord} and the dishes came out perfectly.

This is definitely one of only 2 products I would use!

PS - never tried the powder.

For once, it really does work without prewashing your dishes.

from New Orleans, LA

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

Cascade Advanced Power: Nice Name, but is it True?

from Houston, TX

Comments about Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Powder:

Cascade is a reliable brand of dishwasher detergent and the company has expanded its original lineup to include a wide variety of liquids, powders, gels, and powertabs, each with its own unique abilities or scents. I have used several with good success, but one I am less excited about is **Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Detergent**, in powder form.

**Dishwasher Detergent Commentary:**

Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Detergent is a powdered cleaning product made for use in automatic dishwashers. You just pour the powder into your dispenser, close it, and run the cycle like usual.

Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Detergent has a great sounding name and it sounds like a superior product overall. But a few uses show that this dishwasher detergent isn’t as perfect as its name suggests. The powder doesn’t rinse the way it should and as a result, some dishes come out of the dishwasher with residue. This problem can be controlled somewhat by reducing the amount of powder used in the dishwasher, but this is still a pain and something the manufacturer needs to correct.

Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Detergent has a pleasant scent and it sells for about the same price as regular Cascade. But its name is misleading. Yes, it does eliminate the food and beverage stains from dishes with little problem, but the problem with excessive detergent left on dishes is not one I can overlook.

**Bottom- Line Viewpoint:**

Cascade Advanced Power Dishwasher Detergent is a less than acceptable product and one of the least reliable in the Cascade product family- a great surprise for a company that usually produces quality products. If you feel you need an advanced formula, I recommend using the liquid version instead- it cleans as well but rinses better, eliminating much frustration.