2.7
Other Job Websites:
Careerbuilder

Careerbuilder

2.7

Looking for work? CareerBuilder.com can help.

Are you tired of you current job?  Are you between careers and need to find employment quickly? CareerBuilder.com, which is a free internet-based tool, can help you find employment opportunities across the country. I used this site in 2008 to find a job after recently moving to a new city to find a better employment opportunity.

CareerBuilder.com allows you to search for employment opportunities in specific areas (cities, zip codes), and offers several dozen different career categories from which to chose. Once you sign-up you can search through the job listings that are presented and save them, so you can refer back to them at a later time.

The employment opportunities are presented in a list showing the job title, city, company, and the date the job listed was posted on CareerBuilder. If you click on the job listing it will display additional information about the job, such as job duties, requirements, how to apply (usually a web link) and sometimes the salary is listed.  Some companies include P.R. information about the organization too, but most just present the job details.

What I like about CareerBuilder.com is the wide variety of career opportunities that they present. I get a job listing e-mailed to me twice/week, and it has opportunities from entry-level to higher-up positions. This is useful because sometimes an employer may call you in for an interview even if you are not a perfect fit for the job. They may have some other job opening which were not advertised.

You can post your resume on-line at CareerBuilder.com as well, so employers can contact you directly. I did this when I used the site a few years ago but had mixed feelings about the results. My phone started ringing off the hook with recruiters of all stripes calling, many trying to get me interested in jobs that were not what I wanted (many were low-paying or required a long drive). This time I have not posted my resume on-line, so I control who gets my resume, and who does not.

In my experience CareerBuilder.com can be a very helpful resource in finding employment opportunities. The site offers some basic job search tips as well as presenting job opportunities, and shows far more job openings than the local newspaper provides. My biggest complaint right now is that many of the jobs are through recruitment firms (headhunters) and I have mixed feelings about their tactics. But overall I found opportunities from a wide variety of companies, and even a few non-profit and government agencies. I don't hesitate to recommend the site as I have now found a job through the site!

Spam spam spam!

The joining process was simple, a few ad's along the way but nothing too bad. Then the emails started, I am in the IT field and I would expect jobs relating to the IT field to be flagged. However all I got EVERY DAY where offers to sell Insurance or become a Financial advisor and so on. Nothing that was remotely related to my field of expertise.So I then decided that careerbuilder wasn't for me and I went in to delete my account. The process wasn't very clear but I got it done eventually. But the emails did not stop, every day sometimes 2 or 3 a day all the same as above, spam. I used the link within the email to un-subscribe from the "offers" and .... didn't work. So now I have a filter setup in my email to direct anything from the careerbuilder domain to my spam box. You have been warned.

CareerBuilder is a load of crap!!!

Comments about Careerbuilder:

I've been using careerbuilder for the past three months while trying to upgrade jobs. These guys ought to be ashamed of themselves. They say that if you upgrade your account for $150 per month, you will get more than a 90% increase in employer views of your resumes. This is an outright lie and a sham! It's a money machine that takes but does not give. They sell "you" as part of their package to attract new clients to subscibing to their service. I know this because I've done my research. They will brag to their sales prospects that they will have unlimited access to "the largest candidate database in the world". However, their also selling the same data, which includes your resume and demographics to their lower-level competitors whom they call "partners". Thir salespeople are required to "buy" their client's business by take them out to expensive restaurants and spending money on them in other ways. They are a highly enethical business which has always received very low satisfaction ratings and they are constantly in court having to defend themselves for unfair business practices. I do not recommend careerbuilder to anyone. Not even entry-level people. Instead, save your money and time by using LinkedIn.com or indeed.com. Both of which are completely free of charge and will not spam you or try to sell your data to other companies. Instead, they will get you connected to the right recruiters and hiring managers directly. Thus, avoiding the middle-scam!!!!

Better to have experience than none.

Comments about Careerbuilder:

I signed up for careerbuilder about 4 years ago and they helped me build my resume and also had plenty of jobs posted. Since I was so young with not much experience in the job field I only got emails back from insurance company's and a coupld were spams. If your have experience in a certain job you are searching for, careerbuilder will be the place to sign up and search for what best suits you.

Don't use CareerBuilder - try Monster.com

Comments about Careerbuilder:

I am an employer that has used Careerbuilder for 8 years. NEVER AGAIN!! I bought a package plan from them and tried to use the final job posting 5 days after it had expired and they refused to help me. No loyalty at all to their customers!!! Then they tried to offer me a 7% discount on my next purchase - as if I would ever use them again. I went to Monster.com and got 20% off and better service. These folks are terrible!!!

Piece of crap.

Comments about Careerbuilder:

What I didn't realize about Careerbuilder is it's a scam!!! You don't go up on the list based on your qualifications but based on how much money you pay them.

Beyond that I've only gotten Nigerian scams or sales calls or offers to be an independent contractor (go further in dept with no pay) or start up a new biz (see previous).

In fact the only good reviews about Careerbuilder are written by Careerbuilder!!! That says it all. I don't know anyone who's ever gotten work and yes there is a lot of spam. It's good for nothing really.

The posts are mostly from companies wanting you to pay them money to "help" you with your search and such are "dummy" postings.

Utter load of crap.

Comments about Careerbuilder:

Careerbuilder is more or less a scam anymore. It is mostly temp agencies and recruiters. You will receive emails daily for jobs that have NO relevance whatsoever to your job talents or skills from some random person claiming that this or that company is "interested in you" with a link to the ad on Careerbuilder. Nothing more than spam. This site is a huge waste of time. There might be one legit job out of twenty posted.

dont go public

Comments about Careerbuilder:

First thing i want to warn people about is the fact that all the people you would not want to have your information IE police attorneys debt collectors banks profiteers money pyramiders and telemarketers all have search engines working with career builder to find your info for monatary or judicial reasons!!!! SO BOTTOM LINE DONT MAKE RESUME PUBLIC!!!!!! your telephone and mailbox will be overloaded this is a bad thing i promise....remember career builder has all of your info and i dont belive they do anything to protect it anybody posing as an employeer can mine your personal information like your SSN !! secondly the only reason i would use this site is if an employeer that wanted to hire me required it occasionly it happens....

I am YET to get a REAL job offer/interview!!!!

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Careerbuilder:

First and foremost...I have applied to literally 50 jobs...not ONE response. The only calls I keep getting are from INSURANCE COMPANIES(I have never applied to any insurance companies so I have no idea why they keep getting in touch with me.. with the same tired lines..that they "FOUND" my resume on careerbuilders and that I am EXACTLY what they are looking for **eyeroll** ...I have NO interest in insurance jobs so I have no idea WHY they keep stalking me via email or phone. I need a REAL job with a DEFINITE hourly or yearly wage, not someone telling me I COULD make $75000 a year!!! I am starting to regret putting my resume on careerbuilders!!!!!!!

Online application features are good; emails are worthless

from Austin, TX

Comments about Careerbuilder:

If you are using CareerBuilder to scout for a job on CareerBuilder's site, it's pretty good. I've applied to several jobs using CareerBuilder and gotten several interviews.

CareerBuilder's email notification function is pretty worthless. You'll get lots and lots of emails for sales jobs - which is fine if you're into selling, but pretty useless if you're not into selling. I still use CareerBuilder to search for jobs online; but created a filter to screen out emails from CareerBuilder because the emails were either for sales or were outright scams.

Spam spam spam!

from Arlington Heights, IL

Review of Careerbuilder Website

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Careerbuilder:

Careerbuilder has been a fabulous tool to use for my job search. The website has search alerts to notify you of recent job postings in case you don't have time to check the careerbuilder site daily. These alerts are only sent for specific job type/industries that you preselect. That way you do not have to read ALL jobs that are posted.

There is a career section of the website that helps you to select the career that is best suited for you. It is very simple to use and only requires honest answers to the career questions.