2.5

2.5

Pros

Cons

Care Credit Helped With Dental Costs

I have used Care Credit to help me pay for my dental costs. I had to have gum surgery some years ago and the surgery was expensive. I had dental insurance through my employer but it only paid for a fraction of the costs and I did not have any savings to use for the remainder costs. My dentist recommended Care Credit and I decided to give it a try because I really did not have any other payment options. I liked the idea that I could make monthly payments and there was no interest added to each payment as long as I made the monthly payments and paid the total amount off within a specified time frame. The monthly payment amount was affordable for me. The only scary part for me with Care Credit was that the monthly statements would show the amount of interest that was charged if I did not fulfill my monthly payments and pay it off in time. I found that this was confusing until I talked to a Care Credit customer service representative. I wanted an explanation about this interest rate charge that showed up on my statements. I also found that the staff at my dentist's office were helpful at answering my questions about the Care Credit plan, too.

Customer Service
My experience with customer service was ok. I did call them a few times with some questions and I had to wait on the phone for a while but I did get to talk to them. They were courteous to me.

Available Plans
Care Credit has different payment plans that are dependent upon how much money you need. The more money you need, then you have a longer length of time to pay it back. This plan seems to be set up for people to pay for some of the more expensive dental procedures, such as, surgery, root canals, crowns, etc.

CareCredit will rip you off even if you do everything right!

CareCredit AKA GE Money Bank was introduced to me by my dentist when I had to have a root canal. He told me how great CareCredit was: easy money with thwelve months no interest. Well, I did everything right. In 11 months, CareCredit started charging me 29.99% interest on the original amount. When I tried to call them I got a 20 minute wait. Then I wrote them, I got no answer. All the time they were not crediting any of my payments. I went online to their site and tried to find my statement. They have a six page tutorial on how to find and read your statement. If they were honest, they would have a simple debit and credit statement that anyone could read. Their statements are incomplete so, you never know what you owe. One day, I sat and waited for 30 minutes and finally by phone, I spoke to a representative. This was the rudest person I ever spoke to. They accused me of being stupid and stated "too bad" your interest rate is now going up to over 30% for calling us and whining. And it went up to 37%. They still never credited my payments. I owed 3596.00 and paid $4560. There was over $900 not accounted for. Finally, I wrote the Federal Trade Commission, no answer and then the Attorney General of Texas, since CareCredit has drop boxes, no offices, in Texas. The attorney general is now looking into CareCredit. I did receive a refund from CareCredit after I contacted the attorney general, however, the check came with a disclosure that said, "If we review your claim for a refund and find it erroreous, we will re-debit the amount to your account." I wrote the attorney general in Texas and asked if I should cash this check or risk being re-debited and owing CareCredit money again. I am waiting for an answer before I dare cash their check. I want to say this has been the worst experience in my life and I hope no one ever uses CareCredit. You cannot win at this cat and mouse game as only CareCredit knows the rules. In this case "let the user beware."  Mandie Poon

STAY AWAY !!!!

from NJ

Comments about CareCredit:

I applied for CareCredit for my daughter's dog's emergency vet care. They never tell you about the interest charge incurred if you don't pay your entire bill in 12 months. I was socked with $800 interest fee. I called and pleaded with them to no avail. Stay Away!!!

Beware

from San Marcos, CA

Comments about CareCredit:

After paying every month over the amount required in order to complete my payments during promotional period for Care Credit, I accidently missed 1 past the deadline. I then got charged over not paying the required amount even though my monthly requirement was a lot less than what I always paid.

i like carecredit.

from rockford Illinois

Comments about CareCredit:

the reason I like carecredit is because it has helped me with vet bills. it is not the best credit card. but in a pinch it does what you need it to do. and if you have limited imcome and credit this card really does come in handy. the fact that you can also use it for eye care and dental is just a bonus to me.

Bought by another company and less than customer friendly

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about CareCredit:

I used them for years and they were great. But now they were bought by another company and have decided that you can not use the card to pay over the phone. I have been paying vet bills and other bills with CC for YEARS over the phone and now it has made life extremely difficult to not be able to do so. I have used the same doctors and veterinarians my entire life so they know who I am and even know my voice but CC no longer allows them to take my payment over the phone. I will find another company to use asap.

No More Care Credit

from woodland park, CO

Comments about CareCredit:

I have used Care Credit three times for dental issues. The draw, of course, is that if you pay the balance in full before 12 months, there is no interest. I have ALWAYS paid within the allotted time. This time I paid nearly $7000, supposedly interest free, but I was always getting 'late fees' and other charges, this time to the tune of $299. Again this month I was charged an extra $38 even though I paid on time. I would do better at my credit union which is honest about their interest rates. Care Credit charges interest that first year by calling it fees and then usurious rates afterward if you do not pay in time. I just paid the balance and I will NEVER USE CARE CREDIT AGAIN.

Absolutely Terrible!!!!! STAY AWAY

from Arizona

Comments about CareCredit:

I Originally got this card in a crisis, my dog needed an emergency surgery to save his life and the amount they credited me was $2100. They lure you in with their attractive no interest periods but be ware this company is extremely shady. One month I was unable to make the payment due to some financial trouble. They allow you to "schedule" an advanced payment to avoid late fees (35 dollars every week you are late) so of course I scheduled only the minimum payment as I was unsure if I could afford anything else until the due date came up. Now here is what they do not tell you the overage fee is not the fee for that month it's to avoid getting fined again, which is not stated in the notice. The system will then add the fee to your next balance for the next month. So making the scheduled payment you think you are fine but what is really happening is that "scheduled" payment gets made and due to the fee's you think are waved your payment is not sufficient and occurs another late fee. This has been happening to me for three months without me knowing it due to "scheduled" payments to avoid late. In fact Because the system had allowed me to make scheduled payments I only found out about this through a call from their collections department which introduced themselves as customer care representative. Naturally being confused I called them back. I spoke to yet another person who stated they where with customer care whom I clearly and calmly explained my entire situation to. Due to an obvious language barrier (they outsource all their calls to other countries) it took an hour to explain something that should have only taken 15 min max. To which the result was him telling me that he could not comment on it. I politely and a little annoyed asked to be transferred to someone who could. I waited on hold another hour to be told very rudely I had reached the collections department. Needless to say I wasted my time to be treated like an ignorant schmuck and got no where. Don't use!!

Do Not Use This Card

Comments about CareCredit:

This is a rip off at 27% interest. My credit score is good and when I asked for a better rate I was told this interest was all there was. They COULD NOT lower the rate. I will tell everyone that will listen to refuse this card and to run the other way. I will not recommend this card to my worst enemy.

CAUTION

Comments about CareCredit:

Unless you are in dire need, I would suggest finding financing elsewhere. Scenario: Your doctor charges you considerably more for using CareCredit than would be charged for cash or other means i.e. $950 for CC financing as opposed to $650 for cash or other choice. The promotional time varies from doctor to doctor and is seldom adequate. If you have more than one procedure you're in trouble. When the promotional period is over, you are charged interest from the day of the procedure. Interest is high. An example? I had one $800 procedure which cost me $1050 through CC (it was an emergency). Another Dental procedure cost me $950 thru CC but was $650 if paid by other means. First procedure had 9 month; second had 6. Putting the payments together made it impossible for either. It is now nearly two years and I have been paying more than the required amount. Interest included, my bill after this length of time is still over $2,000! They are breaking me! So my best advice to anyone considering Care Credit would be to look around for all possibilities before going this route. I wish someone had given me this information before I "took advantage." They are the ones who take advantage of your situation.

Customer Service
Only had one occasion to call and it was somewhat adequate.

Available Plans
Be advised that the doctors charge more to compensate for the carrying charge they have to pay CareCredit. So you end up pay more to the provider and still get slapped with interest at approximately 26%.

• Available Plans:

Highway robbery - Avoid unless you can keep up with fees.

Comments about CareCredit:

I got this card when I needed to do dental work; at the time I was uninsured, and I couldn't otherwise pay for it. So, I applied for Care Credit; the issue was their fees. At the time they had a promo that if you spent $3000 or more, and paid it in 6 months, you wouldn't pay interest. I wasn't able to pay it in full, and then the fees hit. I was paying nearly 30% interest, and the total work which cost about $3500, end up costing me over $5000 when all was said and done.

They have much higher interest charges than any company I have ever dealt with. If possible, go through a different provider, find insurance, or simply wait. The high fees you will pay don't compensate, and they aren't very lenient when you can't make a payment to your account either. - Avoid them at all costs if you have a choice, otherwise make sure you can pay the entire price of your procedure prior to the expiatory promotion period for the work.

• Available Plans:

Emergency situations are no longer a problem.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about CareCredit:

Our dog got really sick and had to have emergency surgery, and as many know, this is not an expense that most people think about or have a lot of money saved up for. The total cost was going to be over $3000 and we had no idea how we were going to get that kind of money to be able to save his life, but we knew we had to do it, he is part of our family after all. We had called our local bank and asked for a loan but the loan officer was out and we needed something right away. The veterinarian office recommended that we applied for Care Credit and we tried and were approved. They offered us no interested for 18 months and they gave us a limit to cover the whole surgery. The lady I talked to on the phone while applying was so genuinely kind and made me feel so much better and wanted to help us out so bad. This can be used not only there but at many doctors offices and dental clinics across the United States so even though we had it paid off pretty fast we opted to keep it and use it every now and then because it is a great card to have just in case we ever have another emergency again.