3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:

INTERNATIONAL TRAVELER MUST HAVE ~~!!!!

I have read the other reviews with interest and appreciation. However, must confess I have had nothing but great customer service from CapitalOne, and totally love that when I travel in foreign countries it is the only credit card company that does NOT charge a FEE for conversion of other currencies to US currency when billing. I used to really like the Alaska Airlines VISA but when the economy fell, I began to resent the $85 a year renewal fee, so cancelled that card. As for yearly percentages, well . .. use a credit card for convenience and not for a loan and there's no problem. CapitalOne has been a good company with which to do business for me, and truly that's all I can ask. And when I've lost or misplaced the card, they have been cordial and quick with replacing it with a new one, and a new account number.

Remains excellent

Same as market

WORST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

First Id like to say I only rated them 1 star for poor because it wouldnt let me submit this with no stars. I first got a card from Capital One through my parents when I was about 16. Have been a customer for about 10 years now. Used this for large purchases and then paid it off in one or two payments. I have 2 other cards and a car loan and I have never had problems with late payments for any of them. I started off mailing my payments and soon noticed that even though I sent my payments in 16-18 days before the due date they were not processed until a few days after my due date (wow how convenient for Capital One). Each time I would call to ask about this I got the run around from customer service and was just flat out treated in a rude way. So I started going to online payments because they will charge another fee to pay them over the phone. The online payments have a complicated matrix for when your payment will post. They use whatever time zone they want and if you pay late on a Thursday evening it will not post until Monday. Sometimes they have even delayed my payment for some type of "authorization period" from my debit card that they couldnt really explain and even my bank didnt understand. I understand the late fees when you dont pay on time but when they resort to trickery to charge you extra its just unfair. I have had several late fees when I pay because of these delays. Also about five months ago they sent me my renewed card with some new terms and cash rewards. I made the mistake of using it thinking I would benefit from the rewards and maybe this would reset my opinion of Capital One.This evening I check the mail and there is a new card with a letter stating that they accidentally sent me a rewards card by mistake and my new card should be used instead. The new card does not have any of the rewards and the terms of the rewards card were never valid.How does something like that happen? I wouldnt recommend Capital One to even my worst enemy!!! Avoid Capital One Credit Cards like the plague.

One of first credit cards

from Eustis, FL

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

Capital One's Platinum Visa was one of the first credit cards I ever got and it's never failed me yet. In the years that I've had this card, the only issue I've had to date was Capital One charging me an interest fee even though I didn't have a balance on my card, and this was fixed immediately upon me calling them about the issue. The interest rate is pretty decent and I think since having the card my credit limit was raised once or twice. It also wasn't very hard to get approved, even with having very little credit at the time.

Great Card

from Mount Carbon, WV

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

I have no complaints with my card! It was easy to get and it gives me peace of mind. One thing I love about it is that I can pay my bill via a app on my cell phone. I can also check my available credit with my app as well. They are easy to deal with and also provide a credit score as well.

A simple card to get, but not the best

from Florida

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

This was a very easy card for me to get approved for so that's a plus, but overall, it is not worth it. I recently closed me account with them due to the poor customer service received. As a person trying to do the correct thing and pay my credit cards in time and pay them in general, I was penalized for paying too early. I made my payment a day too soon which caused the payment to apply to the balance and by count as a payment. Of course I wasn't aware of that before hand. So I called in and spoke with two different people, the first transferred me to her supervisor since she wasn't able to make an adjustment or offer any other assistance. The supervisor ultimately shut me down and did not offer any other options for my situation. (Due to paying early it required a second payment in the same month from me all the while I'm on a limited budget at the moment. This will put me late for every upcoming payment and give me a late fee every month.) so I told him I wish to close my account and he was extremely upset and did just that.

After calling back for additional information and explaining what had happened the person then informed me of a program to temporarily avoid late fees for a set amount of time. At that point I was upset because it was not previously offered to me prior to me losing my account.

Overall, I'd say simply do your research. If your going to apply for a credit card you want it to come with benefits. Such as rewards and a not so high interest rate. This one worked in my favor to get me started but I do not think I will reapply after paying off my account.

There are other cards out there for many different credit rating types that offer more of an overall value than this card.

good credit card

from Edina, MN

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

I have had my Capital One Platinum Visa Card for a little over a year now. Have had no problems with it as of yet. They have a good interest rate to offer and they raised my credit automatically after a year. I have been able to go over the limit for a few times that I needed to with no penalties or inconveniences. They also have a nice option to offer of personalizing your card whether with an image they have or one of your favorites from your own photo collection. It is easy to use everywhere and anywhere. It is pretty easy to qualify for even if you are just building up your credit or a newbie with credit cards. Capital One has a good reputation and a lot to offer in general and I have heard only great things about them. They are a generous company as well.

Customer Service
Great, I have had no problems yet in a little over a year of usage.

Available Rates
Good rates to offer to their clients, especially those with good or great credit ratings.

• Available Rates:

Good card to have for emergencies

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

Overall I would have to say that this card is one of the best cards I have. I have had this card for around 5 years now and there have been a few changes here and there, but nothing major enough for me to cancel the card. My interest is not the best out there, but it is ok. The interest varies based on you credit rating, so based on that for me, the interest rate is better than other credit cards I have. They offer you credit limit increases based on your on time payment and just maintaining good use of the credit card. While it is not the best card out there, it is one of the best credit cards and is really good to use in an emergency. I tend to use my credit card for gas in between pay checks and pay off the balance in full.

Customer Service
I have dealt with customer service a few times and they are always helpful and prompt. I had an issue one time when i lost my card and I called them and I had a new card within a week, no problem and no hassle.

Available Rates
I think that there rates are good. The interest rates are based on your credit so they vary for many people. In my case the interest rate is much better than so other cards I have.

Great everyday card

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

This the main card that I use for my business. I have had other cards as a main business account in the past but switched to Capital One because there are better business options with this card. I like that I can give this card to my principal employees and myself and conduct business. Employees need to buy things and I like that when I get the bill I can see who had bought what, separately. But, it's still on the same bill. The card numbers are different, though. I can also set limits on who is allowed to spend what. It is easy to mediate that if a purchase is over a set limit, they employee has to have the office manager or myself put it on one of our cards. I have had a few strange issues with the cards being issued wrong; in one case I did not even realize that the name was wrong (never had a problem using it) until the employee lost the card and I had to request a new one. They have always corrected the issue, but still not ideal.

Good for building credit

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

My first credit card was from Capital One and it was a Platinum Visa Card. I didn't have any credit history at the time so I was happy that I was approved. I was given a $300 limit with an extremely high interest rate. I also had to pay an annual fee of $45 a year. I used this card a handful of times each month and would pay off the balance. After doing this for 6 months my credit limit raised to $500. I continued to follow my pattern of making charges and paying them off in full each month for the first year. After a year my limit increased to $800. For the next 3 years my limit stayed the despite my perfect payment history. I asked for a limit increase once during this period and I was denied. I was told to keep making on time payments and my limit would eventually rise. I became frustrated for not getting a limit increase with this card even though I had other cards with a $5000 limits and no balance. I stopped using the card and 3 months later my limited increased to $3,000. I still had the same rate and they refused to waive the annual fee. I would recommend this card for people with no credit history or rebuilding credit.

• Available Rates:

I'm happy with this card

from Liberty, KY

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

While I know this card and this company don't offer the lowest interest rates in the industry, they do offer some of the best rates when it comes to transferring a balance from another credit card to them. You can usually find a program that only charges you two or three percent fee whereas most of my other credit cards charge four or five percent. My only problem with them I will explain when it comes to customer service.

Customer Service
Got a call the other day. In fact, two calls within 10 minutes of each other. They specifically asked for me (rather than another person in the household with a similar name), but when I called them back and asked them why they called, they had NO idea. Said there were no problems. When I insisted on speaking to someone else, I was disconnected! Called them back. Again they said no problems but couldn't figure out why they called me. VERY frustrating because it makes me worried or that something is up with my card even though they re-assured me all was fine. Seems odd to me.

Available Rates
Average or below average (meaning HIGHER) than other credit cards I have. That being said, I made up the difference with a lower than usual balance transfer fee. I'm sticking with this company!

• Available Rates:

I am a fan of Capital One Visa cards.

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

I really do like the Capital One Visa credit cards. This is one of the few credit cards that I have retained after a credit overhaul of my wallet. I really like rates for this card; at least they were good for me. I also get some good rewards with this cards, which I think is important. I always am looking for a bonus when I have a credit card and I think that the Capital One card offers good ones. I get cash back on certain purchases with my card and then I get the check at the end of the year. I find it works out well during Christmas shopping. It is always nice to get money back on money I have already spent! I also think the customer service for this card works very well. They are knowledgeable and efficient. I got my answers quickly from them and they were very friendly. It is easy to quickly check my balance with the customer service number or even on my online account. This is a card I would and have recommended to my friends.

• Available Rates:

Not quite sure What happened.

Comments about Capital One - Platinum Visa Card:

There was a local breech in one of the major retail stores that I shop at. Capital One decided to cancel my credit card, which sounds great, they were looking out for my protection against fraud. Except for one problem, they never notified me. I went to make a purchase and my card was denied (How embarrassing!) I knew I paid my bill! I called and was informed that they canceled it because of a breech. I informed them I as never notified by mail nor phone. They told me they would send out a replacement credit card, which I am still waiting for two months later. I think if you are going to cancel someone's credit card at least give them notification so they are aware. Customer service seems to be slow and not very thoughtful of the people using their service.

Customer Service
Still waiting for my new card and its been at least two months.

Available Rates
I always pay my card off right away so I never really pay much to the competitive rates because it does not apply to me.