Other Digital Cameras:
Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
Canon

A great little camera.

I use the big, bulky, professional 35mm digital SLR's everyday at work.  When I'm not at work, I want a nice, small, light camera to carry with me.  But, I'm spoiled by the outstanding image quality I get from those big cameras at work. Well I've found my answer.  The Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera fits easily in my pocket, and it's image quality is on a par with my big "professional" cameras.  8 megapixels means I've got room to crop if needed, or if I want to print a giant 20x24 print, I have no worries about the image falling apart.  Point & shoot's have also gotten a lot faster.  I can take this camera out of my pocket, turn it on and it will be ready to shoot by the time I get it into shooting position.If I had to find something to complain about, (and really, it's not really an issue now that I've been using the camera) it would be the lack of an optical viewfinder.  Instead of a viewfinder there is a huge, gorgeous, LCD screen on the back.  These thing have gotten much beter over the years.  It is big and bright and completely usable in even the brightest direct sunlight. So the only downside, really, is it consumes battery power faster than if you could turn the screen off and use a viewfinder.As for ease of use, well it's as easy as you want it to be.  Out of the box, you can turn it on and start taking fantastic photos and never have to touch or change a setting to keep getting great shots.  If you like to tweak or fiddle with settings, they are there for you. If you like to mess with that kind of stuff, like I do, It'll be easy enough to figure out without he manual. If you get confused, the manual is thorough and easy to read.If you are looking for a really good, small, point & shoot camera, the Canon - Powershot SD870 IS is worthy of a good look.  Will it replace a digital SLR?  Well, for many things it can, but if you ***need*** a SLR, you probably already know that.****

It does a satisfactory job.

This camera does a satisfactory job at taking photos but it is not amazing. I'm no photographer so I wanted something that I can point and shoot to capture life's moments; something simple. The photo's that I get from this camera leave much to be wanted. The autofocus is hit and miss as 50/50 pictures are blurred. Then if I'm using the camera indoors, the pictures come out too dark even with flash. Then it takes too much time capturing an image! If youre trying to snap a picture of your kid at the most cutest moment, you will fail. It takes a picture 1 second after you pressing the capture button. Your babied smiled? Well, the camera totally missed it. 1 second is too much time lapsed to capture what you want. Try to snap the moment your kid blows out her birthday candles? Nope, totally missed that too. When looking at pictures taken by mys sisters' point and shoot cameras, theirs come out way better in clarity. Also their cameras snap the pictures a lot quicker than this one. As I said, I'm no pro so I thought this camera would work for me. Well it didnt.

A nifty little compact camera!

from Austin, TX

Comments about Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera:

I've been eyeing this camera for a long time due to all the endless great reviews I've seen and heard about it.  I finally pulled the trigger when a friend of mine bought his a year before I did and highly recommended it to me. By the time I finally bought it within my budget, this Canon SD780 IS became the predecessor model of the SD1400.  I'm not sure what the new model features, but I still don't regret purchasing this camera. And because the SD780IS is nearly an obsolete model, it makes it much more affordable to buy one now than ever - as I've seen lots of places that have it on clearance lately.  The Canon SD780IS is the perfect travel/everyday camera. It weighs a little over 4 ounces. The size of the camera is astonishing; it is smaller than my iPhone 3G and my wallet.  The 720p HD video-recording mode is excellent with great audio quality.  However, a slight drawback is that there is no optical zoom when you are in video recording mode - you'll have to stop it, adjust the zoom level, then resume recording.  The picture quality can become a bit grainy/noisy at times during certain shots; but when looking at performance vs. convenience and portability over a dSLR, I'll take the SD780 any day.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Excellent camera with great features and awesome picture quality

from Providence, RI

Comments about Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera:

This is an excellent camera.  It has great features for taking all kinds of pictures in different settings.  It's lightweight and pretty easy to use if you are a previous Canon camera user.  If not, it might take a little while to get used to but after that its great.  Also takes great videos in pretty high resolution.  I would recommend this camera to anyone!

What happend to name brand they all gone to China...

from Oregon City, OR

Comments about Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera:

I love Canon when they use to be made to last like Nikon they use to be so expensive but was worth paying for it when they last for ever...When the prize started to come down and not for a reason they made  up grade on this cam. you need to start to ask the question why and where are they made, start marking your calendar because you will need to replace them soon or returned them to the store, because they are not going to last very-long and quality is not as you expected like before...Japan makes great elect. but when they start sending their stuff to China too do not expect great quality.

So it is not good to pay less for a products that is easy to brake. Even the frame works are so cheaply made...I have a total of 4 cams that is Canon the old one still the best one because China never got their hands on it then....

I did a lot of research for a quick point and shoot.

from Roebling, NJ

Comments about Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera:

I have the Canon 870is 8 mega pixel camera. I was looking for a small esy to carry camera for point and shoot situations when it was not convenient to lug my Olympus DSLR around. After a lot of research on the net I decided to give this one a try. I was immediately glad I chose the Canon.

The pictures are clear, and more importantly the delay so common in digital cameras was minimal. It is certainly worth trying if these are the features you find important.

Great camera for family snapshots

from Beverly Hills, CA

Comments about Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera:

I just love the Canon SD880 IS camera. Small in size with a large 3" display. 10MP is more than enough for quick family snapshots that look great. Controls are easy to use, whether zooming, switching between video and picture, or adjusting picture modes. Picture modes include kids/action, snow, night shots, indoor, etc. Once you get the hang of it, you can actually single handily pull the camera out of your pocket, turn it on and snap the picture. It does take a couple seconds to start, but the convenience is what I was looking for. One of the reasons we got the camera was that our old HP 3MP clunker just couldn't take those dark shots in the school gymnasiums and simply had to put it away after and enjoy the show; not anymore.

Other great features are the auto focus, red eye reduction, image stabilization and the battery life is great. Make sure you get a good sized SD card for it as the one included is not that big and you are all set.

from Denver, CO

Comments about Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera:

Love this camera! I have always been a fan of the Canon line of cameras, I have SLR Canon that I use religiously for nature photography and portrait. But sometimes this little point and shoot becomes the mail camera as it is easy to use and the resulting images are phenomenal. I have used this in the field for great action shots at sporting events, great pictures at dimly lit concerts and family photos galore. The video on this camera is HD quality which is great for uploading to Youtube and other social media sites. Sometimes the files can be large, but that is not for lack of quality. I would recommend the **Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera **to any novice or pro who wants a super reliable point and shoot.

Great little camera!

from Mount Vernon, OH

Comments about Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera:

The Canon Powershot SD780 IS digital camera is a great little camera! We purchased this camera about 8 months ago in order to take it on our Disney vacation. We spent alot of time reading reviews on many digital cameras to find one in our price range that had the options we wanted. I love the small size and weight of this camera. It is so convenient to carry around either in your purse, pocket or in a small camera case. It responds quickly after taking a shot and is ready for the next one. The features are so easy to use and so intuitive that even someone like me who is not technologically savvy and easily use it. The Cannon battery lasts for many pictures and video. We have been very happy with the picture quality. Even in lower light it works well. Great value for a small camera.

Canon 870 IS Digital Camera Review

from Muskego, WI

Comments about Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera:

I bought this camera for a personal point and shot camera and I am very pleased with this camera. I have had it for about three years now and I still love it. It has great macro capabilities, which is one of the main reasons I bought it. I have taken this camera with me outdoors in all types of weather and seasons. Hiking in the summer to snowshoeing in the winter. I also use this camera at work, which is in a factory. This is where I broke my camera, but it was **my own fault **and not the camera's fault. I put the camera in my pocket with a pen and when I bent down the pen put pressure on the LCD screen and it made two dots killing a few of the pixels. Oh well, it still takes really good pictures. Did I mention it fits great in a pants pocket. I like the fact that you do not have to fiddle around with AA or AAA batteries. The battery is Canon made and comes with it's own charger which plugs into standard wall sockets.

It does a satisfactory job.

from Fresno, CA

Awesome Little Camera

from West Monroe, LA

Comments about Canon - Powershot SD870 IS Digital Camera:

I purchased this Canon Powershot SD870 IS as a backup to my Digital SLR Rebel. I must say that I got an outstanding deal. This camera is not only light, small, and easy to carry around, but it also takes outstanding pictures. It has great menu options for when you want to adjust your settings, or when you are just wanting to let the camera do all of the work. The autofocus is responds extremely fast and is very accurate. Also, the Image Stabilization works wonders as I am often on the move when I take pictures. What I really like about this camera is its low light capabilities. I have used this camera to take several pictures inside low lit areas such as clubs or churches and I am shocked at the image quality that it puts forward. I primarily use this camera when I am not in a place to lug around a huge camera bag and it has more than served its purpose. If your looking for a great accompaniment to a DSLR or looking for an every day use camera, the Canon SD870 would be a great choice.