Other Digital Cameras:

Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

Nice Bridge Camera

If you're not interested in a DSLR, want to try something in between a simple point and shoot and DSLR, or can't afford a DSLR then the Canon SX-20 (or SX-10 or SX-30) is the camera for you.

The camera itself is built well and accepts a number of accessories (though not as many as a DSLR of course), including adapters, filters, light lenses, and other attachments. It's hard to beat the zoom as well as the macro and super-macro mode, all of which are easy to use and simple to access, as are most of the settings and options.

But if you're looking for the ease of a point and shoot this is not the camera for you.  There is an automatic mode which works quite well, but the camera is really made for those who want to use the more advanced features of this camera.  You'll find most anything you are looking for here for the intermediate photographer.

The photos are excellent (if you know what you're doing, if not you probably will be disappointed).  Some people complain about bad low-light photos but whenever I've experienced this it was because I needed to change some options, and it was my fault and not the camera's.

In addition, this camera can easily have the CHDK firmware hack added which allows you many, many professional camera options and tweaks, including RAW and a host of HDR automated settings and much, much more.

The newer version of this camera - the SX-30, is very similar but requires a proprietary battery pack where the SX-10 and SX-20 take standard AA batteries.  Rechargeables work fine in this camera.

For those who want an easy point and shoot where you don't need to do anything they will be disappointed. But for those who need a 'bridge' or intermediate camera you won't be disappointed, and it can hold it's own with more expensive cameras in the right photographer's hands.

The Canon Powershot sx20 is is a great starter camera

The Canon camera is great for any up and coming photographer to learn it takes pictures as if you were a pro. Great quality a little confusing when getting use to all the settings. The camera is a learning process. I have tried all the settings and tried to get a nice clear picture of the moon but have not been able to succeed. I did work as a professional photographer for 3 and half years and if you have any kind of photoshop and this camera you can take your own high quality portraits. I have not used a SLR camera which would be the next step outside of work and I find that the powershot gives just as good of photos provided you can figure out all the settings, aperatures and what not. I think it should come with a better manual so you can use it but I guess they feel if you are stepping up to this high quality you should know what you are doing.

It also allows you to record high definition movies which is a big plus. Also if you plan to take many pics invest in a neck guard the camera can feel a bit heavy on the neck. I also think the lens cap should come with a tring to keep it attached to the camera so you do not misplace it. The price is good but, if I had to buy irt all over I would have stepped up to the slr cameras with different lenses and more opportunities.

Complicated but works well.

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

This is a great quality camera. However, it is fairly complicated and not the easiest to use, so this might not be the best camera for someone who is just starting out in photography. I would try something a little simpler first. I do like the flip-around screen. It's much safer to store the camera with the screen hidden so it doesn't get scratched or cracked.

Image Quality
Image quality is excellent, especially for fast motion shots in bright light. Low light could be better but is okay.

I've used this camera for a lot of different types of photos, and the image quality has been great.

This camera isn't the easiest to use. The menus are a bit difficult to navigate, and the buttons are sometimes in the way. It can be very easy to accidentally hit a button on the back of the camera and change a setting without even realizing it.

This camera seems very durable. I've never had a problem with it.

Battery Life
The battery life is fine. It takes 4 AA batteries, but I can get a lot of pictures out of that set of batteries.

Portability
This camera is not very portable. It's pretty heavy, and you will need a large camera bag for it. I wouldn't recommend it for travel unless very high quality pictures are very important to you.

Great value

from Camby, IN

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

This camera is one that I purchased for everyday use. I use it to take pictures of my son, for vacations, special events and for my online business. It is good enough that almost all of my pictures come out clear and just as I expect. It is easy to use and jump right in. I haven't played with all of the settings because I am a very basic user. It has a lot of settings and options I haven't even looked at yet. I am sure it can do more than I use it for. The only issue I have had is that I can't get really close up pictures to turn out well. This could be more the operator than the item, though. The camera is very durable. I don't know how many times I've dropped it on my (carpeted) floor or my son has dropped it on the table. I haven't seen even one surface scratch. This would be a great option for families with kids. I am also very happy with the battery life. It takes standard AA batteries. I just use rechargeable Duracells. I use this camera on a daily basis. It takes me weeks, or even months, to get through the battery life.

Portability
Light bulk, but tolerable for the quality.

Canon Power Shot SX20IS

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

Bulky to carry in certain scenarios but has amazing picture quality and is very easy to use. The zoom feature is excellent... you can zoom in really close and still have excellent picture quality. It has a range of features, including video, with an added bonus that you can hear the sound when you play the video back on the camera. For someone who is serious about their picture taking, this is a great camera to get.

Portability
Not a camera you would want to take to a party or concert and have to keep up with, but great for professional style photos.

Canon SX 20is is good choice

from Renton, WA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

Excellent features that are user friendly and good range of featured shots to take almost any kind of pictures for any occasion. Light in weight and not bulky. On screen display is not too hard on the eyes. Took macro, sport, low lighting, and such, all of which turned out well. Took SD card without a hitch.

Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera

from Modesto, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

I purchased a Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera.
The pictures are crisp and clear. It has many different settings for all types of occasions. It also has manual settings. It takes regular batteries and has a long battery life.
The 20X zoom is great for pictures at a distance. It is a little expensive but worth the cost.

Canon is a great brand

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

Awesome camera with great pics. Great detail when get the pictures developed.

User friendly. Can read the book for more detailed info and for the expert photographer.

Withstood some beats and bangs from usual wear and tear with no scratches and still works great.

Battery Life
Helps to have a spare one. In case one dies, you have a spare you can take along with you.

Good for the novice

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

Okay camera but not what I was expecting...

Image Quality
Just didn't meet my expectations.

It takes beautiful outdoors photos.

It is very compact which is great, but my fingers kept pushing the wrong buttons.

Doesnt last long.

• Portability:

i am still trying to figure this thing out

from Edmond, OK

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

i purchased the canon powershot sx20is digital camera last year for my birthday.  i previously just had a little 5 megapixel camera and wanted to upgrade.  i had heard a lot of great things about the canon powershot and decided to purchase it.  there are simple little things that i like and that i do not like.  it is very little, but the lens cap does not attach to the camera in any way.  this is very annoying because that means i have to pay attention to it instead of just letting it hang on my camera and not having to worry about losing it.  i know the lens cap is small, but scratching the lens is not!  the other thing i do not like about the canon powershot is the delay it has from when you push the button down to take a picture and when it actually takes a picture.  you do not get the exact shot you wanted to get, you get the shot that is two seconds later!  i am a novice photographer and have not learned all the "awesome things" on my camera.  i will say that the pictures i have taken (outside) have been great!!!  the picture quality is great.  the zoom on the camera and image stability is also terrific.  i do like all the settings you can choose from.  i guess i just have to learn more about it.  so there you have it.  maybe i just need lessons! :)

Love it

from Virginia Beach, VA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

I work in Marketing Communications and would you believe that before I joined the team, there was no camera in the department?!? When I cam on board, I knew that I was going to need a camera for the department. I was given a budget and told to do some research. My research leads me to the Canon PowerShot Xsi. While I wanted a DSLR camera, my budget would not allow, so I went for the next best thing. So far the purchase has been well worth it.

The clarity of the pictures has been astounding, and the video was unbelievable. Several members of the company recently put on a Christmas performance; I recorded the whole performance using the camera. Once the videos were uploaded onto youtube and facebook, the majority of the comments were about the clarity and recording. People could not believe the audio that came from the camera; couple of people thought that it was shot using a "real" video camera.

The biggest drawback to this camera is that it runs off standard AA batteries. Being that my company provides the batteries, it is not a problem for me. But it might be a drawback for some.

All in all, I highly recommend this camera to anyone who wants a professional style camera without breaking the budget.

Canon - PowerShot SX20IS

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera:

The Canon - PowerShot SX20IS Digital Camera is a great buy as it first of all has an easy to read display which also displays the great results from stills. The camera also comes with great zooming capability and even greater pictures. The camera is also equipped with image stabilizers and has a lot of great setting to choose from! The camera also has a full feature built in video camera which helps with quick capture videos.Other than the pros there are some bad aspects to this camera, as it is a bit heavy when holding for long periods of time, and the lens cap doesen't stay on very well when moved rapidly. THe images are mostly always blurry without flash and images at ISO 80 and below also get fuzzy. The last factor it comes down to is the price as it has started progressivlely high, and has only gone down a bit. So all in all it may be worth to check this camera out.