Other Digital Cameras:
Canon
Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera

Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera

I got this camera when 10 megapixels were the highest it went

I think the Canon SD900 is one of the better point & shoot digital cameras a person can buy.  I got this camera about 4 years ago, when 10 megapixels was at the top of the spectrum.  Now there are 21 megapixels but only in the SLR Canon 5D Mark II which costs 8x the price of this camera (when I paid for it new).

If you are looking for a point & shoot digital camera that takes great pictures, as well as a camera that takes really good video, then I would highly recommend this Canon SD900, because I have shot and displayed both formats with great appeal from the viewers I showed them to.  Many compliments so I cannot be disappointed with the results.

As I said, I will soon be upgrading to the Canon 5D Mark II or it's upgrade, because of the SLR Digital prowess of this camera as well as the Digital video capabilities of this newer camera.  Of course the cost and the size of the 5D Mark II is much bigger than the SD900, but that is a sacrifice I need to make for my profession and results I am looking for.

Otherwise, I would suggest the SD900 Digital camera for anybody looking for a easy to transport camera that you can capture all of your memories from vacation on.  Enjoy!!!

Somewhat disappointed in the SD900 Canon Digital Powershot

I am extremely picky when it comes to digital cameras- I want a high quality compact camera which will endure for several years. Unfortunately, the Canon SD900 did not meet these expectations. I had been pleased with my previous Canon camera, so when it was time for a new one, I did not hesitate to look for another one. This was in 2007.

One of the reasons I chose this camera was due to its titanium frame. I am prone to dropping things, and decided it would be wise to purchase one with a sturdy frame. I must say that I have been pleased with the titanium casing, but am very disappointed in the fact that the side plate fell off. Now my camera of two years is coming apart one side.

Not only am I dismayed at the structure of the camera, but its quality is not what I had hoped it to be. The lens seems to be a bit unfocused when I use certain settings. The flash setting on automatic tends to "wash" people out although the manual setting allows one to specify the skin tone. Taking pictures at night is almost impossible- even with the "night snapshot" feature, the subjects are either blurred or "washed out".

On the flip side, I love the camera's "foliage" setting. I use it outdoors all the time- not just to take pictures of trees or flowers. The colors are richly vivid. I also like the color features, such as "color swap" where you can exchange the color of an object to that of another... no photoshop needed! I also love the large LCD screen. However in my opinion, these nice features do not justify the negative ones.

Bottom line: this camera is excellent for outdoor shots and for fun color alterations, but the fact its physical structure is unsound and that it does not capture people in a realistic way, ruins my expectations.

Well worth the higher price

from Altadena, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera:

I was at a Thanksgiving dinner last year and one of the guests was taking pictures with the new Canon SD900 digital camera.  He was showing how if you turn the camera, the picture readjusts to the new angle.  Also if you shake the camera, the picture still comes out clear. I took the same picture with another guests camera and the Canon.  The Canon has 10 pixels and adjusts for dark rooms.  The two pictures were very different with the Canon being clear and bright.  I don't take pictures very often, but now I always take along my camera.

great every day camera

from North Miami Beach, FL

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera:

The camera is very good in almost every situation and easilly fits in most purses. There are a lot of options available for those who want a little control over the photo being taken, but can also be used as just a point-and-shoot. It does have face detection technoogy which I have friends/family have sought out in their digital camera, although personally I turned it off because it will alter photos of everything to bring out human facial features (example: it detected tiny blood vessels in my kittens ears and suddenly her entire ear was turning red in the photo like they were lips or something). Overall I am very happy with this product and have already recomended it to friends

I got this camera when 10 megapixels were the highest it went

from Hermosa Beach, CA

money well spent

from Schofield, WI

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera:

Simply amazing -- some cameras struggle to get a good museum shot without flash. Not this bad boy. Point and shot and great pictues just happen. Plus it fits in your pocket. That is amazing at such a low price. While friends struggle to get enough light I was taking pictures AND enjoying what was going on around me! Don't let life pass you by -- this is a great deal. I got mine as a gift after a relative saw me struggling with another camera and midssing a family event. I had to look up the price becasue it worked so well. Now I recommend it to everyone I can! Seems like everyone is in the market for a cemera and this has to be a best seller. Great battery life and lightweight too! I wish it had a better carrying strap but that might be from my old bulky camera that DIDN"T fit in my pocket. That is a really nice feature. Plus it doesn't look like a buldge in your pants like others do. I could not be happier with this gift!

nice all-a-round camera

from Dublin, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera:

This camera is a very functional point and shoot camera.  It has more advanced options for those who know what they're doing but most of time I find myself just using the default settings.  The viewing screen is large enough where you can see the output and the picture taking quality is very good.  I love the fact that this little camera can record videostreams in high definition.  The videostreams do take up alot of space on the HDSD card but now-a-days, you can get an HDSD card that store as much as 32GB worth of media...so who cares.  The only con to this camera is the fact that the body of the camera isn't sturdy.  It actually looks and feels quite cheap, which is not Canon's M.O. at all.  The body material scratches easily and the controls for the camera is done with a wheel that you scroll around with.  An added benefit of buying Canon is that they have a loyalty program where you can trade your old Canon camera in for a new style when your camera ends up not working at some point.

fantastic

from Quincy, MA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera:

I love my **Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera.**  The pictures are clear nd crisp and the camera is so easy to use.  This little camera has so many options.  Make sure you read the book, you will want to use all the great features this camera has to offer.

The product is excellent and you can't beat the price.

GREAT

from Omaha, NE

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera:

If you want a top of the line point and shoot camera then this is the best to buy.  Very easy to use and great pictures.  This is the second canon point and shoot i've owned and i'll never switch to anything else.  Very cool features but take time to read the book becasue than you can use all of them.

EVERY PIC POSTED IS THE ORIGINAL AND UNTOUCHED.... ALSO I LIKE TO TAKE PICTURES BUT I JUST CLICK AND SHOOT, SO IT'S THIS CAMERA THAT DOES ALL THE GOOD WORK.

The Canon Powershot SD900-A great camera!

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera:

This is a great camera for amateur photographers. It is small and produces great quality pictures.

It has many features that help overcome most problems experienced by amateurs. It has the Red Eye reduction as well as a great focus feature when set in the automatic mode. I usually use the automatic mode and find the results more than acceptable. It uses the SD memory card and now with the price of those getting more and more affordable, one can take more than enough pictures on one card. I use a 16gb card and I take photos and videos witht the same card. The battery also when on a full charge will permit days and days of normal shooting.

The camera comes with many different scene setups for those who wish to go a step above the automatic mode. It also, performs well in low light situations, but does have a built in flash if needed.

The camera seems to be fairly durable, as I've dropped it several times and it still performs well. I have learned to always use the supplied wrist strap, to avoid any further drops.

Highly recommend this camera for beginners as well as seasoned amateurs.

Canon PowerShot SD900 has great sound for it's small size

from Somers, CT

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD900 Digital Camera:

This litte camera can shoot lik the big guys. I Love everything about it. The photo quality is so amazing. It is easy to use, fits right in your pocket, you can take this camera anywhere. loaded with features, takes great action shots. Canon has done a great job with this camera not sure they can beat it in a small point and shot camera. I had the canon sd1100 which I also loved but this camera has far beat that one. I love the body it lets youkow it is quality as soon as you pick it up. if you are looking for a camera that has everyting the bigger one have then you wont go wrong with thi one. shoots good beach to snow pictures with such great detail. my only complant is I wish it had a bigger zoom although I dont kow if I would use it much still wish it was there.The sound quality is very good and the Scene mode ar fun to use. I want to buy a case for underwater so my husband can try it we he goes diving.

Somewhat disappointed in the SD900 Canon Digital Powershot