Other Digital Cameras:

Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

• Portability:

The perfect camera to capture views and memories of your travels

I love this camera.  I have had it for years and it is still in great shape.  It is the perfect size for traveling, so my camera has traveled with me all over the US and Europe.  The pictures are great quality and they look just as clear in 8x10 and 11x14 prints.  I have used many pictures taken with this camera as wall art to decorate my home.  The videos are also good quality - I have made DVDs to share with family and friends from the short videos I have taken with this camera.  Many of my family members have this camera or a newer version, so we are able to share battery chargers on family trips and also help each other out with all the features.

Wonderful design, tiny, packed with features - but quirky?

I've been using my Canon SD600 for over a year now, and this camera has many positive attributes.  That said, I will apologize in advance for perhaps posting the only somewhat negative review of an obviously popular digital point & shoot. First, the good: This camera will go anywhere, and it won't take up precious cargo space during travel.  The viewfinder is key in bright outdoor settings (and sometimes low-light settings too).  Menus are clear and easy to navigate; if you are familiar wtih digital cameras, it is easy to have this one operating out of the box with little or no use of the manual (although that *does* come in handy!).  The start-up time is super quick, as is the camera's ability to recover between photos.  Movie quality is OK, great for short clips, but it won't replace your camcorder anytime soon.  Sound is fine (again, for short clips).  The LCD display (2.5") is crisp and clear, but does tend to wash out in bright sunlight.  While some of the special scene modes are nice (fun? interesting? time consuming to play with?) I find that the sepia looks way too tawny as compared to a few of my previous digital cameras (Canon SD40, Pentax Optio 555 and 550).  Ummm... did I mention that the camera is VERY fast??  This, given some of the other models out there, is a big plus in my opinion. The so-so:  Big LCD display... fingerprint magnet.  I'd suggest investing in one of those little protector screens that cover the LCD.  The not-so-good: I know I should love this camera without reserve.  I just don't.  I have read the manual, re-read the manual, checked the website, and have read various professional reviews to figure out why this camera just doesn't take excellent pictures.  I can take my 'big' digital camera (a Canon G3) which is much older, has a lower resolution and is well-traveled, and the G3 will reliably produce sharper, better quality images over the SD600 time after time. I do love the tiny size of the SD600, but lately I find myself reaching for the G3 even though it means carrying more camera around.  Despite using the automatic shooting mode, and fooling with the settings one can change (e.g., ISO speed), I often have grainy, washed out photos from this camera.  This is disappointing when you rely on the point-and-shoot to capture your memories on the go.  That said, you don't need to remind me that there are trade-offs with sub-compact digital cameras.  The Canon SD600 is a prime example:  wonderful to carry around, not-so-wonderful results after the download.   What you gain in portability and ease of use, you lose in image quality.  The bottom line:  Shop around, read reviews, don't flock to the Canon name by default.  I'm shopping for a Panasonic Lumix, hoping a Leica lens will improve photo quality!  Good luck!

Good but not great

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

This camera is basically why I stopped taking photos of things. I had an excellent Sony point and shoot, which eventually gave out. This ended up being its replacement but the color quality on images is very poor. If you're indoors or it's cloudy outside, your photos will look really dull and probably somewhat blurry. The flash is very white and tends to wash things out. I like my photos to be clear and colorful, and this camera just doesn't deliver in that aspect. If you're just looking for easy documentation of things, it'll do fine. I've had it for over four years now and it's still working. No parts have broken. The batteries still hold a charge. The screen is fine. So it's relatively durable. It's also very simple to use. So if those are your main criteria, this might be suitable for you, but if you're looking for high quality photos from a pocket camera, this is probably not the one you want.

Image Quality
If lighting isn't absolutely perfect and subjects aren't still, photos will end up dull and blurry.

Never encountered a malfunction.

Most of the functions are straightforward.

Had it for four years and no problems.

Battery Life
Standard battery life.

Portability
Fairly slim.

Great utility camera!

from Lansdale, PA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

Works great in close range, the zoom is a problem when taken pictures that require flash. You will want to upgrade the memory card.

Image Quality
As long as your close and you have enough light with the flash pictures turn out great. It is really good for outside use.

The video function works well. However memory fills up quickly. If you are taping a program for school it is best to record a video and take picture clips from the video instead of taking real pictures. The zoom function does not work well in auditoriums unless you are on the front row.

Very easy to use and if you read the manual you get some great idea on how to make your shots more impressive.

I've had mine over 5 years now.

Battery Life
I love the battery charger, it charges really quick! Great when you forget to charge your camera.

Portability
I recommend buying a case for it. Cuts down on the ware and tare of this camera.

Very cool Cannon digital camera

from Forest Hills, NY

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

This camera is small and sleek yet takes excellent pictures. I love the bigger camera size you use to take the pictures because it gives you a broader look at what you're taking. What I dont like about the camera is that it isnt water resisitant. My camera got wet during vacation and it was ruined. I order another one just like it because I am so impressed with its feature. I would like a newer model where you can send your pics straight to an online site which would be cool. The features are varied but not so significant that you're intimidated to use any of them. There is a stable shoot so your pictures arent coming out blurry because the camera was moving too much. Overall, I love cannon digital cameras and this one wont disappoint you. Ive purchased higher SD cards so I can have all my pics on my camera and use as a slide show because the quality is so good. You will be satisfied with this camera and its basic features.

• Portability:

A great quality small camera for everyday use

from Helena, MT

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

A grat little camera that does it all. I have taken quite a few pics with this small camera and have not been dissapointed wiht it. It takes great clear pics and it has a great many features that I love to use.The foliage feature is just awesome as it brings out the great rich colors of the outdoors. I have not had any problems with it. It does limit you to not zooming too far as the picture becomes grainy but, a great camera for closeups and small distances. I got a great price on it a year ago and have had no regrets.

Makes it easy to take great pictures.

from Durham, NC

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

The Canon PowerShot SD600 is a great little camera, even for beginning photographers.  Large viewing screen (for a camera its size) with great zoom capability. Takes very clear pictures. Easy to use and small enough to fit in a pocket or purse.

You definitely get your money's worth.

from Pinellas Park, FL

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

I have had my camera for over a year now and just absolutely love how great of pictures it takes.  The only thing about the camera that I don't like is that it will only date and time stamp the pictures if you have it in the postcard mode.  Otherwise, I love it and will probably stick with the Canon brand for the next higer end upgrade that I plan I purchasing within the next year.  The Power Shot line is a very excellent purchase the your money.

Wonderful price quality ratio. A no brainer pocket size camera

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

Cost conscious digital camera for everyday use and every occasion. Excellent definition and speed for a compact camera. Nice complement to more sophisticated SLR digital camera that is more bulky. So easy to use that 5-years old can take pictures. Love the small battery pack and the SD-Card. Next geenration in the SD series are definitely a must. Better definition and still extremely pocket friendly!

I love this camera!

from Crown Point, IN

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

I love this camera, I would highly reccommend this to anyone.  It is very easy to use. No one should pass up this offer.  There are not enough wonderful things to say about this camera.  I got it for Christmas last year and it has been wonderful since then.

Awesome camera

from Crestview, FL

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

This is an awesome camera. I would recommend it to everyone who just needs a camera to take pictures with, especially if you have litle ones. I have taken many great pictures of my son. My friend has a Sony and when she prints out her pictures, it doesn't compare to how great mine look. I love the look of Sony cameras, but if you're not into just buying something because it is cute, Canon cameras would be the way to go.

Great for everyday use and more!

from Springfield, IL

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD600 Digital Camera:

I love my Cannon! It is perfect for every day use or if you are trying to do something professional. This camera is extremely idiot proof. I would definately suggest it to anyone who is looking for something that is not for professional use. I took mine on vacation and it was wonderful. The camera is small enough to slip in my back pocket and was very handy. I love the sleek style.