4.1
Canon - PowerShot SD500

Canon - PowerShot SD500

4.1

Good camera, until it broke

I have some very fond memories of this camera.  It took great shots, and was very easy to use.  It takes an SD Flash card, so therefore, the memory is dependent on the size of the SD Flash card.  The camera was rather compact, but maybe not as compact as some of the cameras out there right now.  The LCD screen was rather tiny as well, you can easily find cameras nowadays with a much bigger screen than this one (some even take up the full back of the screen, the ones that are touchscreen).  Unfortunately, I dropped this camera from a height of approximately 2-3 feet (hanging by my side) and it broke.  Now, that's not a big drop, and it still managed to break.  The lens barrel that comes out when the camera is turned on broke, when taking it apart (since Canon wanted a lot of money to fix it) I saw that the barrel was a very thin and flimsy plastic piece.  I decided to replace this camera with one that does not have an ejecting/protruding lens barrel.  But hey, things happen.  Besides that, I thought this camera was very good and did the job while it lasted.  It's a great point and shoot.  I would recommend it to others (even though you can get better models now for a little bit more).

This camera takes poor quality pictures and is not durable.

This camera was very disappointing. The picture quality was VERY bad and the lens broke the third day I had it. I turned the camera on and the lens got stuck coming out and would not go back in or out. Thank goodness the store let me return it. The pictures that I took with it were fuzzy and out of focus. These were still shots in great light and yet the camera still took poor quality pictures. I would not recommend buying this camera or any camera where the lens is not one piece. They seem to need repair more than others. I had another Canon camera with a lens like this and the same thing happened. I will stick with a one piece lens now.

Cannon Powershot SD500 takes nice pictures

from Tooele, UT

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD500:

I like this camera. It takes really nice pictures, it's easy to use and it has some nice features like no flash, delayed shot, outdoor, portrait, etc.

The battery seems to last a really long time, though I wish the low battery indicator would come on sooner. It feels like it comes on and then only minutes later, the camera shuts off completely. The battery charges very quickly which is nice.

For a compact digital camera, it has a really short lag time. Meaning, it doesn't take a long time for it to gear up for the next picture. It still does need some time, but much less than other small digital cameras I've tried.

You have to be careful of the wrist strap. It has a hard piece on it that got smashed against our screen and cracked the screen. I took the strap off it after that. I also found that we really needed a screen protector to protect against scratches and scuffs. Even fingerprints and faceprints come off easier with a screen protector.

I dont like that this camera doesn't take SDHC cards, only SD cards because they are hard to find in stores anymore.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

This camera takes poor quality pictures and is not durable.

from New Smyrna Beach, FL

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Whata great little camera!

from WilliamsburgWilliamsburg, VA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD500:

I've been using a Pentax 35mm for over 20 years and really miss the feel and shutter speed of it, but really enjoy the convenience of taking as many pictures as I want without worry.  It's fun to have the instant image as well and the pictures that I've had printed from it are a very good quality.  But I find that I print less pictures and rely more on the computer and websites to view and share photos.  It is fairly easy to opearte and downlaod  pictures as well and I love that I can hook it up to my tv and view the pictures or movies there as well.  But there is something lost when I don't have the anticipation of picking up my pictures and viewing them for the first time before I even leave the counter.  So what we gain in technology we lose in experience.

A compact and multifunctional camera!!

from Renton, WA

canon s5

A compact digi cam which includes mostly all the features.

It has 12x optical zoom and 8 mega pixels.

also have variety of modes which is useful to take photos in different lighting situations.

Not bad

from Fremont, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD500:

The Canon PowerShot SD500 was one of my first digital cameras :D At the time, I just really wanted any kind of camera so that I could take pictures with my friends and preserve the memories. I found it to be a pretty nice camera. The quality of the pictures were pretty darn nice too, considering that it's a 7.1 megapixel camera. Of course at the time, I didn't know much about cameras so I didn't know how good/bad that was. It was definitely a major upgrade from the 3.2 megapixel brick of a camera that was officially my first one. I admit that I still don't know much about cameras since I don't really follow them nor am I into photography much, but I just want to review my experiences with the camera. I think overall, it took good quality pictures, had a decent size screen and it was easy to use. Plus, it was small enough that I could literally stick it in the pocket of my jeans or my jacket, so that was pretty convenient :D I don't know how much it would cost now to get one since it is a few, if not many, years old, but I think it would be worth it.

Good camera, until it broke

from New Milford, NJ

Awesome Camera

from Flower Mound, TX

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD500:

I purchased this camera in 2005.  This camera is awesome!  Back then there highest megapix were 500.  Today as you know there's many more!  The picture quality is great... to me, it equals whats out there today.   The only problem is...  I now love the larger screen in which they make now.  And also, when you take picture, you have to be very still....  other than take...  I would totally recommend this camera to anyone!

love this little baby

from Ferndale, WA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD500:

I absolutely love the Canon PowerShot SD500. It's so easy to use a blind person can take excellent pictures. How do I know? I taught my Granddaughter, who is extremely visually challenged, to use it.

The simplicity of the operations, and the clarity of the icons used to set the exposures (pets, landscape, etc.) were something she see by herself.

With a little guidance at first, she learned to visually sight and point, check the screen, and then take 3-4 shots so she'd have what she wanted in the camera. Hooking the camera up and downloading to a large computer screen was simple for her. Then, using Adobe PhotoShop, she was able to enlarge and cut the photos easily.

She earned THREE Girl Scout badges with her flower photography, her digitizing and "painting" of the photos, and her Jean Miro-inspired slide show on PowerPoint. See her photos attached!

This digital camera and a computer and the world is HERS! She did so well, her parents bought her one for Christmas.

Canon-PowerShot SD500 Love this Camera!!!!

from Gallatin, TN

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD500:

This Camera the Canon PowerShot SD500 makes the best pictures, is easy to throw in your purse or pocket and carry with you were ever you go!  It is Great to have around.  even my eight year old loves to take pictures with this carera. Its that eay to use.

easy to use and economical

from Redondo Beach, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD500:

This camera is small, easy-to-use, and economical. Very important for me, it has a viewfinder. I can't see an LCD screen without my reading glasses and, if I wear my reading glasses, I can't see what I'm taking a picture of. So having a viewfinder that allows me to see the picture without my reading glasses is critical.

Pictures are of excellent quality, capable of being reproduced at a commercial quality level.

Manual is easy to read and the functions are quite simple to understand.