Other Digital Cameras:
Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
Canon
Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera

Summary

Canon looked to the very first ELPH for inspiration when designing the PowerShot SD1000 Digital ELPH, and came up with a quintessential iteration of the icon: slim, clean-lined and fully flat. Inside, the SD1000 Digital ELPH looks only to the future: 7.1 megapixels, a 3x optical zoom and advanced DIGIC III ensure top-quality images, while focus is fast and sharp and red-eye is automatically corrected. The large and more colorful LCD screen now has a tough, anti-reflective coating that makes it as durable as it is beautiful.

Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera

Amazing Little Camera

I was located on a construction site as a field engineer, and as such took upwards of 10 photos a day for the duration of the project (3 year project).  This was the camera that I used for during that project.  When I did the math, it turns out that I took more than 7,500 photographs with this camera.  Looking back, I can't remember how many times I dropped this camera (amazingly enough, it didn't break like my SD500 did, as I stated in a previous review of the SD500), used it during rain, snow, you name it.  Amazingly enough, this little camera took all that abuse, and I still use it to this day (even though I'm not on that project anymore, I still have to do occassional field work to ensure our designs are being installed/constructed as specified).  It's been over three years since I Have been using this camera, and it's definitely been a pleasure to work with.  Simple controls, alot of times i was forced to use this camera one handedly, and it was not a problem due to the simplicity of the controls and their placement.  The camera would last fairly long as well (don't remember exactly how long).  I must admit that alot of cameras have too many features.  Now, I understand that if you purchase a Digital SLR like the rebel your paying for those features, but on a point-and-shoot, too many features gets too complicated too quickly.  When your on the run, at work (like I use it), or out with your friends, you just want to catch the moment, not spend time trying to set up the shot.  For that purpose, Canon designed this camera beautifully.  I would highly recommend it.

The Canon SD1000 hasn't aged too well.

The Canon SD1000 is a decent but not great point-and-shoot. Includes facial recognition, but lacks image stabilization. Worth it to spring for an "IS" (Image Stabilization) model instead.Read complete review

The custom timer is helpful, allowing for multiple timed shots, but this is limited to 10 shots (firing between the 10 second mark and the 26 second mark). There is an additional time lapse feature that takes multiple shots and doesn't stop until you tell it to... but the output is a video file rather than multiple stills. I'd rather have the individual photos.

One major drawback with the SD1000, and with Canons in general, is that there is no battery life display until the low-battery warning level is reached. This forces you to either charge your battery prematurely, buy and carry a spare battery, or risk missing photo opportunities with your camera out of juice.

SD cards only; no SDHC compatibility. This limits you to 2GB officially (though you might roll the dice with a 4GB SD card). Acceptable when this camera was designed, but outdated technology now. In addition to carrying a spare battery, I pack two spare SD cards with my SD1000.

amazing camera

from Austin, TX

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

This was the very first digital camera I've ever owned, and i cannot begin to express how easy it was to use. The interface is so user friendly, i had it figured out in a few hours. There are so many cool features, but my favorite is the kids and pets option. very good camera

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Canon Powershot SD1000 is a great small camera!

from Salinas, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

The Canon Powershot series is a great bunch of cameras. The SD1000 is very small, small enough to fit in a pocket and not bulge it out more than a cell phone. For its size and convenience, it takes great quality shots too! I doubt there are many other cameras out there that are as sleek as this one with the same quality of shots. It also has a fairly big display screen considering its small size. The camera is really easy to use too. Most of its functions are easy to find without a manual. Another great little option is the video function. It doesn't have the best audio quality but for quick little video recordings it's great.

Some of the drawbacks is that it doesn't have Optical Image Stabilization on this model so some shots can come out blurry if there isn't enough light. There is also not a battery indicator so you don't know when your battery is going to run out until it's almost dead. My battery seems to have a long life period, so if I make sure it's charged before I leave the house, I haven't had any problems with the camera dying when I didn't want it to.

It can get scratched fairly easy, especially if it's flopping around in a purse, but I got a nice tight-fit camera case to keep it protected.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Buy this camera

from Belleville, NJ

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

This camera is so good. Its a great buy for the money.  The pictures are fantastic. The size is perfect to carry in your pocket or in a purse. Its the size of a deck of cards.You never know when that great picture will happen. It takes a little time to get used to the menus, but is well worth it.

Good picture quality, easy to use, little lag time to capture.

from Harrison, NJ

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

This camera is good buy. It has night mode which is good. The zoom feature is also available.An SD card is needed to store pictures. The battery is re chargable which is better than AA batteries. The only drawback is one has to wait a little time before the picture is captured.

Great little pocket-sized camera

from Bayonne, NJ

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

This little camera takes amazingly clear pictures. I was looking for something small to carry on vacation, and the Canon SD1000 fit the bill.In spite of its compact size, the camera has a sizeable LCD screen that helps you see exactly what you're trying to shoot. The color tones in the LCD are really crisp. The face-recognition feature is a great plus - it helps make sure that all faces in the shot are in focus. The auto focus works very well.The camera starts up very quickly, and there's no waiting before being able to take a picture. I like that. I had a Fuji that used to take forever and this is a welcome change. If you're looking for just a little bit more, like image stabilzation, you might want to go for another model. However, the price of the SD1000 can't be beat for a camera of this quality. The rechargable battery lasts a long time and the charger folds flat for convenient travel. I've had this camera since February, 2007 and it's come with me to Vancouver, Seattle, Montreal and Tijuana. It's also survived many trips to work and day trips into NYC. I get great, clear pictures of my very busy 4 year old and I am always snapping pictures of my cats. All in all this is a great compact camera that takes extremely sharp pictures. You won't be disappointed.

Good, affordable camera

from Garden Grove, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

This is a good camera for the budgetly conscious. This is my second canon digital camera so I cannot say that it's the best brand out there; however, both of the canon camera have not dissappointed me. The camera is very light and compact so it's easy to carry around. I prefer the camera in all sivler. This camera takes good pictures with a long battery life. I have a 2 gb SD card and I still have not filled it up. However, the video function does take up a lot of space; with the same memory card, I can only record about twenty minutes of video. When using the zoom in function for the video, the picture gets blurry, but this is expected since it's not a video camera. The only complain I have is that there is no stabilization so the pictures can get blurry.

Love the size and the pictures are great!

from Olathe, KS

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

I love this Canon Powershot SD 1000 digital camera!  I picked it up and was able to use it after charging the battery for less than 2 hours.  Very user friendly and takes great pictures!  Very compact camera, fits in my pocket so I can take it everywhere without the bulk of our previous camera.  I love the features and how easy it is to use.

Great little camera!

from Garfield, NJ

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

I have been taking pictures for over 30 years.  All with an SLR and film.  I got this camera for my wife and a recent trip she was going on.  It was easy for her to use, but the quality of the pictures were outstanding!  For shooting family get togethers, head shots, school functions, it is perfect.

Super camera in a compact size

from Maitland, FL

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

Purchased this camera based on reviews I found online. I was not disappointed. I have recommended it to several others. It does everything I wanted it to do and then some. Great pictures, compact size, excellent battery life. The battery charges quickly, so you don't miss out on too many photo ops. I highly recommend a case to protect the delicate screen and an extra memory card for storage. Love it!!

Photos, movies...this compact camera does it all

from Allen, TX

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD1000 Digital Camera:

This camera is good for many reasons. It is easy to use. LONG battery life, which is very important since my entire family uses it. There are many options, i.e. pic size, pixel density, etc. to use regardless of the type of photo taken. Some cons: once the battery life is nearing expiring, there is little notice. But the recharge time is quick which offsets this negative. My kids love it. I got it to replace an old Canon A100 series that was slow, ate battery life of my rechargeables and was cumbersome as well.