Other Digital Cameras:
Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
Canon
Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera

Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera

Big pictures from a tiny camera

If you are in the market for a ultra-compact, or I guess any point and shoot digital camera, you should definitely check this one out. Its the latest generation of the excellent PowerShot Digital Elph series. Its tiny, at 3.5 inches wide, 2 inches tall, and an inch thick, weighing less than 7 ounces, and the picture quality is amazing. It won't be available in  the US until July, but the same camera is available elsewhere under the name "IXUS 950 IS". There are a few big camera shops online that are importing it already.

The LCD display is huge and bight, and augments the optical viewfinder nicely. The best feature is that the camera understands its orientation (it knows a picture was taken sideways/vertically) and the LCD shows the picture already rotated. Then, while looking at the picture, if you turn the camera sideways, the picture rotates too, so the top of the picture is always up. Now that's clever.

The auto-focus has a feature for finding faces in the field of view to set the focus point, and it works very well. It tracked my 6 year old through both camera movements and kid movements. Pictures so far have been very clear.

The image capture speed, from press to capture, is fast enough to catch the moments with my kids (your mileage may vary.)

Its only been 2 days, but so far I love it. I'll keep updating with my impressions.

ordinary point and shoot camera with durable build

canon powershot sd800 IS is an ordinary everyday use camera, you just point and shoot, for an amature user like me, it fulfills my purpose of keeping some digit memories. The size of the photo is already big enough for a big print (like 10 inches), and the result of the photo is usually acceptable with enough details. The IS (image stabilizer) is a great add on to prevent the blurness during the shoot.

Canon is a pioneer in the camera industry, the build quality is good and it's durable. The body of camera itself is pretty light and it can easily fit into my pocket. The camera is certainly a real camera (not like the phone camera, which is ok for viewing purpose but hardly qualifies for the printouts)

This camera has 3.8X zoom range that offers the flexibility of wide-angle focal lengths, and it's better than the usual 3x zoom available for many other models. Overall it's very compact, easy to use, yet a good everyday camera. (To be coupled with a canon photo printer, I can have the photo right away instead of going to the store)

A wonderful point and shoot camera

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

I love the Canon Power Shot SD 850 IS. It is the best small, easy to use digital camera I have found. The picture quality is amazing, and it doesn't require an incredible steady hand like many cameras in its class. It has very good point and shoot options as well as a few manual settings for the more talented photographers.

It is also a farily durable camera. Mine withstood several minor falls (off the coffee table, out of my purse, etc.) It even lasted a few months after a 6 foot fall onto rock... but it was a little tempermental after that. I finally replaced it with the EXACT same model because I liked it so much.

One of my favorite features is the custom timer. You can take up to 10 pictures on a custom set time, say, 20 seconds. So you set it up, press the button, get in place, and then it takes x number of pictures about a second or two between each shot. It means you can give the camera lots of different expressions without going back to the camera. My fiance and I used this feature to get some great engagement photos.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Tiny camera, tremendous pictures

from Austin, TX

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

I was looking for a small camera to take great snapshots and settled on the Canon Powershot 850 IS after a few weeks of comparison shopping. I waited for a special and was lucky enough to find a demo model on sale at a local camera shop, where I have enjoyed the benefits of personal customer service during and after my purchase, plus the added benefit of supporting a local business. The camera is great for its features, especially taking pictures in low light without a flash.

great

from Lawrenceville, GA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

i have used this camera for 1 year and it one of the best products i have ever seen it works great. it has goo picture quality, motion picture works great. and can be adjusted to any size when taking the picture. it portable and an innovative product . am must own for every family. storage capacity is great . can help one keep picture memory for a long time

Great pictures from a great camera

from Hagerstown, MD

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

Upgraded from an older HP Photosmart. Should have done so sooner. My daughter uses my camera more than I do, and her poor CyberShot sits and collects dust. It is very easy to use, although I have to have my daughter (she is 14) show me some things now and then. The movie feature with sound is fabulous. Eliminates the need to always have a camcorder sitting nearby. Photos and videos are easy to retrieve from the camera to computer.

Really great Pics

from Magnolia, DE

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

This is a really cute and compact camera and takes excellent high quality photos. The draw back is that you need to read a lot of stuff in order to understand how to operate you camera first. The days of being able to just point and click are long over! Keep in mind when buying these new digital cameras that you will only be able to charge the battery on your computer.

Great little camera

from Palmer, MA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

What an amazing day an age when a small camera can take such amazing pictures. The camera fits easily in a purse or pocket. Easy to upload pictures and charge the battery. Small, compact, easy to use...what more can you ask for from a digital camera. Perfect gift idea.

Great Point and Shoot, long battery life.

from Poughkeepsie, NY

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

Great camera for snapshots and more creative photography. Long battery life and great picture quality, even at night. Some of the buttons are small, but the large screen makes up for it you can look up close at the shots you have just taken. The camera itself is small, which is great for travel, or weddings. I really think it was a great bargain for the money too. You just have to comparison shop.

For a point and shoot the results are outstanding!

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

For a point and shoot, this camera is high quality!  I can tell a huge difference between the results from my previous digital camera and this one.  Pictures are clearer and the ISO makes a dramatic difference!  The software that came with the camera is easy to use and manages my pictures appropriately.  I take a lot of pictures, so it's nice to have them organized by date.  Canon puts out some really great products, and I'm glad we chose to purchase the SD800.  It's a great size and easy to travel with.  It's also nice that it uses SD memory cards that are easy to find.  My previous digital used memory cards that were sometimes not easy to find.  It makes life easier!

Great for a college student.

from Gastonia, NC

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

This is an great camera for my neice away at college.  This was her first time away.  I was worried that she would be lonely or even homesick.  This camera gave her the ability to meet new people and to keep in contact with her family at home throught pictures.  The camera has been very durable and pc compatiable.  It is easy to use.

Great Photos from a Tiny Camera

from Riverside, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 850 IS Digital Camera:

I'm not very tech savvy and this is my first digital anything...easyyyyyyyy to use and loving it!!  Takes great quality photos, has easy to use owner's manual but the buttons are kind of small.  I like the LCD screen instead of having to use one eye to look through to take pictures like my old 35 millimeter camera...I should have switched years ago...