Other Digital Cameras:

Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

A great point-and-shoot camera - Canon PowerShot SD1200

I have always had good experiences with Canon cameras and the Canon PowerShot SD1200 has been no exception. This 10-megapixel camera is small, easy to use and produces some really great pictures.  The SD1200 makes a great pocket point-and-shoot camera. It is very small, measuring only about three and half inches in width, just over two inches in height and just under an inch in thickness.

The SD1200 offers 10-megapixels of picture taking power which is good enough for print enlargements up to about 13x10 inches. As with other Canon cameras I've had or used, they put a quality lens on their camera and the SD1200 is no exception. There is a 3x optical zoom with the lens.

When set in the auto mode, the SD1200 pretty much takes care of everything that you would need to worry about. It automatically selects the various settings and even selects the best shooting mode for the picture that you are taking. The flash does a good job at providing some light fill in brighter pictures where a subject may be in shadow and for night photos, but unless you're within about six feet of the camera, the flash doesn't do too much. There are two modes for the flash, automatic, or off.

My favorite features on the camera are the facial recognition and the image stabilization. It turns out that these are great features. I find that the pictures we take almost all have better focus on faces in the pictures and a lot of the photos has significantly less blurring thanks to camera shake.

The SD1200 has the ability to take video with sound. You won't get video camera quality, but it is more than good enough to capture a quick moment and have it posted on the web or in an email.

The camera has a 2.5 inch LCD that is clear and the color is vivid on it, which makes it very easy to review the pictures that you are taking.

The SD1200 uses a proprietary battery, which is one way that it reduces size and weight. The camera does come with a charger for the battery and on a full charge, you can get around 300 photos or so out of the camera.

The SD1200 uses the SD Memory Card standard for storage. The cards are available in a number of different sizes. I have a 4-gigabyte card, which provides enough space for about 1400 photographs in the 10-megapixel fine mode.

This is my partner's camera and since he is the non-techie type, he can usually find a way to get something messed up but with the SD1200 it has working just fine for him. He takes it with him to capture shots at work when he needs to and when we are on vacation or traveling, he is constantly taking pictures. I did spend a bit of time showing him how to adjust settings in the manual mode if wants to, but he just keeps it in auto and the camera does a great job at taking photos.

We have taken the camera on vacation, on hikes, at parties and used it around the house and in all the situations it has worked well. I am more careful with the camera on hikes since it is not weather or waterproof. Even so, I have not noticed anything beyond a small scratch on the metal casing of the camera from all that use. The LCD screen has stayed scratch free and all the buttons have worked.

**My Take**

The Canon PowerShot SD1200 is a good camera. It is lightweight, easy to carry, easy to use and takes some great photos. There is a small shutter lag and a few blurry photos in low-light conditions, but this is not a major problem.

I would have no trouble recommending the Canon SD1200 to anyone looking for a quality point-and-shoot digital camera.

Canon Powershot SD Sleek, nice pictures but poor battery life

Earlier this year we bought our Canon Powerhot SD1200 IS in a lovely aqua blue color. I love how sleek and small the camera is, it easily fits in a coat pocket. It takes lovely pictures but has terrible battery life. We have to charge it constantly. My husband hypothesized that it loses it's battery life so quickly because the face detection technology it constantly uses. I also find the camera a little hard to use, I can't just look at it and figure it out, you really need to look at the manual. Which I haven't done yet. I love the LCD photo view window, it is a nice size and very clear. This is a really nice 10 Megapixel camera. I find the automatic face finding technology very annoying and not very useful. I really need to figure out how to turn it off. I think the price should be a little lower. There are Kodak 10 Megapixel cameras that you can get for half of the cost that take nice pictures. In retrospect I wish I had waited and gotten a Kodak camera on sale mostly due to my dislike of the Canon battery and price.

I use our camera regularly!

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

My wife and I received this as a gift and we really like it. Super nice camera for the price. Like the color choices. This camera takes really good pictures and has so many options, yet it is still pretty easy to navigate. Flash, slow motion, portrait, etc, lots of things to try out. The size of it makes it easy to stash in a pocket for a perfect picture opportunity later. The battery life of this is pretty good. I charge the pack at night and it is ready for picture taking fun the next day. Great little camera for beginner photographers or even those that regulary take pictures. No real complaints here thus far. We are liking it!

• Portability:

Not the best for flash but takes good quality pictures.

from Kearns, UT

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

I have had this camera for about three months now and I have to say that overall, I am not very impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, the picture quality is really good. But where I have little kids, I need a faster camera. When taking pictures with flash, you can't do back to back pictures. It makes you wait while "flash is charging." That just doesn't work when you want to take a few pictures of the same thing. But like I said, the picture quality is really good and I love how it takes pictures outside, without flash. It has a pretty good battery life too. I can take it out for the day with a set of charged batteries and not have to worry about replacing them. We'll see how it holds up in the future but for now it's fine.

I use my Canon Powershot everyday

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

The Canon Powershot SD 1200 IS is small, convenient, and easy to use.  I carry it with me almost everywhere I go so I won't miss precious moments with my children.  It takes high quality pictures and videos.  I was able to learn to use it quickly.  It can do what I need it to without having so many settings and options that I can never figure out how to use it.  The auto setting does not take very good pictures, but the other settings work much better.  I leave mine on the kids and pets setting, and I rarely end up with a blurry picture, even when my three year old is running around.  Pictures are blurry if flash is off.  I like that I can easily use it with one hand while holding a baby and still get great pictures.  I also love that it has a rechargeable battery.  The battery lasts a long ime and charges relatively quickly.  I really like not having to buy tons of batteries.  The charger is small and fits easily into my camera case.  It is much easier than carrying extra batteries.

Excellent Camera

from Houston, TX

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

I absolutely love my Cannon 1200ISD camera! I'm not a professional photographer of ay sort. I wanted something that can be used everywhere. Dark, light, rain, cloudy, etc. We travel and the weight and size of the camera was crucial in our decision process. This camera is so lightweight and sleek. I can slip it in my pocket or wear it around my wrist while we're sightseeing.

I also love how quick it is to download pictures from the camera onto my Mac laptop.

The auto-shutter option is great too when you need lots of pictures of a scene, such as fireworks or action shots at a sports event.

The picture quality from this camera is excellent. I have gotten many compliments on the clarity of my photos.

Would recommend this camera to anyone looking for a practical camera!

Light Weight, Portable Nice Little Camera

from Fort Gratiot, MI

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

**Canon **WON me over with their  ZR600 camcorder/digital camera and when I discovered that I was taking it everywhere with me I longed for a smaller and more compact digital camera.  Something that would not make my purse feel so heavy.  Don't get me wrong, I still use the ZR600 for special occasions.  My spouse bought me the **Canon Powershot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera** for Christmas.  It is smaller and I can safely keep it zippered up in my purse at all times.  I love how portable it is.  The price alone between the two models made me aware that there would be  difference in the quality of the photos.  However compared to competing brands in the same price range, I have to say that Canon is the finest.  I highly recommend for  first time digital camera users because it is really easy to use.  The features are as follows:  10.0 Megapixel, Built-in Flash, 3X optical, 4X digital, 12X combined zoom with optical image stabilizer feature, TTL autofocus, 2.5" TFT color LCD screen with wide viewing angle and a self-timer.  Yes, it also takes videos.  Everything you possibly need comes nicely in the box, except for a memory card.

Image Quality
Canon is one of the finest cameras on the market today.

Still use on a daily basis

I love this Canon PowerShot SD 1200 IS digital camera

from Houston, TX

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

I got this camera 1 1/2 year ago and I really love this stuff. The shots are clear. It adjusts automatically to have a precise and clear shots and the battery life is outstanding! I'm carrying it all the time and mine looks like new,doesn't have any tiny scratch on it and taking really good care of this camera! That's how I love this stuff!

This is a great camera!

from Fairport, NY

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

This camera has really great results for a point and shoot. It's no DSLR camera but for a basic point and shoot it really has great results. The flash is great. Pictures come out bright. I've had other cameras where colors get muted and dark and this camera does not do that. It has high megapixels so it results in a high quality file that you can work with on the computer. I've had the camera for about 6 months and have had no problems or complaints.

I have the teal color and it looks very sleek. I would recommend that color.

The battery lasts for a long time. Whenever I go out of town on a trip, I keep the charger with me but I never end up needing to use it during a weekend trip and I definitely take alot of pictures.

The screen is large so you get a good idea of what the picture looks like. You can adjust how long the preview stays on for after you take a picture too.

The camera is very lightweight.

For cons, the pictures can be blurry when the flash is off or if you don't focus for a second before you take the picture. It just takes a little bit of getting used to.

I love that it allowed you to zoon during a video. Not all cameras have that feature.

Handy Little Camera that Fits in my Purse

from Parker, CO

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

I love this camera. I have the pink one and think it's great and cute. I love that it's light weight, fits in my purse, and takes great photos. I have 2 kids and always carry this camera with me to make sure I can snap a photo whenever they do something cute. It also has a great feature to take video, which I use all the time at a moment's notice. It's a great camera! I love it!

The canon powershot is powerful but sometimes faulty

from Fairfax, VA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

I've been dealing with canon cameras for about five years. They have all been okay and I can't seem to get away from the brand, but sometimes they seem too sensitive. I've had to get a new camera almost every year because of the famous "lens error". A few times it's because I've gotten sand in the lens, but other times the camera has just messed up on it's own. The other issue I have with these cameras is sometimes as the camera ages it loses it's picture quality. They tend to slowly get bad at focusing and sometimes the pictures are too bright. But, other than the lens being too sensitive and the aging it's an awesome camera. The reason I keep coming back to canon is because of the picture quality and the features. I just like how the pictures look in general more then other brands of cameras. If you take good care of it and don't drop it in the sand you will most likely love the camera!

Worth the money!

from Clarksville, TN

Comments about Canon - PowerShot SD 1200 IS Digital Camera:

I have had this camera for a little less than a year now. I must say there was a little getting used to the settings for me. Once I got the hand of it I learned to appreciate all of them! It is a little smaller than I am used to for a digital camera which works out great so I can carry it around in my purse and it does not get in the way. So I can get those candid shots when I am out and about, you never know when that will be. It has a decent focus and zoom for a smaller camera and the screen is a decent size. The quality of the pics could be a tad bit better, but still decent for a camera in this price range. I did not give it a full five stars because the lighting on it is a little odd. Most of my pics turn out darker than I would like no matter what I do with the settings, then when I do not want a flash I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn the flash off! I do not think it does... Besides that it is awsome for its size