Other Digital Cameras:
Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
Canon
Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera

Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera

The Canon S5 IS-- two steps away from having a DSLR.

*Disclaimer: *Personally, I may be a bit biased as I'm solely a user of Canon products, but I believe this is the best P&S one can get nowadays for their money. As the years go on, the prices get lower, but the quality of this camera still shine on.

What can one say about the Canon S5 IS? I've been using this particular model as a personal camera for the past three years and I can say that the Canon S5 IS does not disappoint (much). Canon has been a solid manufacturer of cameras and the S5 is a prime example of what a **Point & Shoot (P&S)** can do. By the way, this review is more of a how it would feel to you. *There are various sites out there on the Interwebs that give even much more in-depth reviews on the technological specs of this camera model.*

Some specs for the Canon S5 IS:

- Nice huge LCD screen (measuring at 2.5"-- diagonally measuring of course)

- 8 Megapixels

- Image Stabilizer built into camera

- 12x Optical zoom

- Dedicated record button

- Viewfinder

- Pop up flash

- 6.0-72.0 mm lens (included with camera)

- Can utilize other lenses (needs a converter, sold separately)

- Mode wheel

- Dedicated buttons for certain functions (Menu, Set, ISO, custom shortcut)

- Dedicated manual focus button

What I liked about this camera that it is very versatile. It is also quite rugged, as I would set it on the most dirtiest of places and it does not get scuffed up much. The area in which one inserts batteries also double as a nice little grip for people with big hands. When you hold this camera in your hands, you know you've got a good one by the way it just feels. This one is solid. It may be made of plastic, but it's got a heft to it that makes it feel anything but cheap.
The **LCD** screen is roomy, and great for people who prefer the live view instead of the view finder. It rotates a full 180 degrees for people who like to take pictures of themselves, and 90 if you twist it towards you. The latter is great for when you need to take vertical pictures.

The 8 megapixels are a nice touch, however when you zoom in a picture on the computer, you can see it start to blur after a few scrolls of the mouse wheel (compared to a dslr picture that is crisp after quite a bit of scrolling). Printing wise, it is perfect for anyone who just wants 4x6 or even 5x7 pictures to frame.

The dedicated buttons for *Function, Set, ISO, etc...* are nice, however my one gripe with them is that they feel quite cheap. They aren't as raised as the earlier S models, and in a way I find myself depressing them much more harder than I would with my older model (the S1). They feel like someone's already pressed on them too hard and they're stuck halfway down. Would've been nicer if the buttons were raised just a bit more.
I also found the **dedicated record button** very nice, as the older models one would have to flip to the Movie mode on the dial in order to make a video. This one, you can just press a button on the fly and it will start recording. Not sure what the limit videos you can make, but I've made videos that were 11" long, and it didn't turn off (due to overheating limits) on me. I imagine it could probably have gone on for longer, but I haven't gotten to the point where I need to make a long video yet.

- The one gripe that I have about the recording is that when you take a picture, it would show up on your video, so you would have a noticeable pause in the video with a very audible click to boot. If Canon could fix that issue, it would be perfect.

- Records in **stereo** sound. Enough said.

The zooming is excellent, one could always use more optical zoom, but at 12x, it is just perfect if you're a photographer on the go and need to get something closeup quick without moving your feet. The IS on the camera proves to be a very helpful asset as when you're fully zoomed in (as with any camera), the slightest movement will render a perfect picture blurred, unless you're sufficiently braced.

- This model also has a **supermacro** feature that is so much better than plain macro mode. If you think you've seen something up close, turn supermacro on and you'll see how much you've been missing.

There is a dedicated **manual focus** button for those who prefer to personally tweak the focus of their subjects. Much like the earlier version of this camera (the Canon S1 IS), you just press that button and then using the four-way pad, determine the level of focus you want.

- What I don't care much for with the manual focus is that they swapped the placing of the manual focus button with the macro. For a person with small hands (me), I find it often that I'd get a hand cramp using macro focus. Setting it closer to where one's hands could reach them would've been much better for this one user, since with manual focus, you must keep your finger depressed on that button for the function to activate. With macro, it's just a one touch operation.

What about low light functions? As you raise the ISO, it starts to get grainy. This camera isn't exactly the perfect one you would bring to use on night photoshoots, but it manages to eek out pretty decent photos in low lighting, just make sure you've got a tripod and your shutter speed up to at least 1" or 2", and a low ISO speed. All cameras are flawed in one way or another in low lighting, and the S5 is no exception to that rule.

All in all, it's a great bang for your buck if you're just starting with photography. It's basically just about DSLR quality without the price tag. There is just so much you can work with the S5, that is how I mean by that it is close to DSLRdom. Just the fact that you can tweak the settings to how you like it, instead of using preset settings gives you the chance to grow as a photographer.

The Canon - Powershot S5 Digital Camera is easy to use.

I bought the Canon - Powershot S5 IS camera because I knew that over the years Canon was a trusted name when it came to photography. I searched many brands only to find this one was just what I needed for a special family vacation. It's easy to use and to figure out. Plus, it gives great photos. Also, there are many features on this camera that a regular camera doesn't always have. I especially like all the options it gives for taking photos (ex: Sport, Landscape, etc). Another neat feature it has is the Stitch Assist. I use it for panoramic photos! The only reason I don't give it 5 Stars is because after using it for many years, the auto focus doesn't focus like it did in the beginning. So sometimes pictures turn our blurry. ~ Overall, it has been a good camera though!

the best camera

from kuwait , salamiya , block 12 , building1

About Me Photography Student

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Fast/accurate auto-focus
  • Good Image Quality
  • Good Image Stabilization
  • good technology
  • Great Zoom
  • Large Clear LCD

• Video
    • Weddings/Events
    • Wildlife photos

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera:

My name is Marawan. I Like Cameras so much .It is very good if you want to create a movie or video to post on Facebook or twitter or Instagram especially YouTube. Its only problem is the battery.

• Was this a gift?:

Canon S5 IS - MegaZoom

from Colonia, NJ

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera:

The Powershot S5 IS - the 4th offering in the mega zoom Powershot lineup fro Canon. The camera is what you could call a pro-sumer between a Pro SLR and a consumer standard Point and Shoot. the 8 MP camera has a 12X optical and 4X digital zoom. the camera has tons of custoizations and settings that you could spend hrs discovering and playing around with but at the same time has a competent Auto mode for the evey day shots.

The 8 MP with camera takes highly pleasing photos with great contract and sharpness. needs nearly no touchup in PC for std 6X4 prints. and te mage zoo with Image stabilization allows for good action and wildlife photographs for those vacations. the video @ 30 fps is also good and allows zooming doring shooting whic is a feature soe other Cameras lack

The swivel Camcorder like LCD screen is a feature available on the Poweershot Is series and is s feature you would really like while trying to take a shot of the Rocefeller Cristmas tree over the heads of 500 avid tourists :)

• Image Quality:
    • Battery Life:
    • Portability:

awesome camera

from Albany, OR

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera:

this is an awesome camer. i have the one with teh flip down fold around screen and it makes taking pictures at odd angles asnap. I have so much fund with it and the zoom is great. The one Ihave has 10X optical and 48X digital. You feel like a pro when using thsi camera.

This is THE camera!

from Murphy, NC

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera:

I just got it and am amazed. It has great pics! I still don't know about 80% of what it can do, but I am very pleased with what I know. I got a tripod, recharabe batteies/charger, canon carrying pouch, and a 2GB memory card included in my package. This is my first "big" camera and I am excited about traveling with it.

Canon camera's are awesome!

from Plant City, FL

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera:

This is the third Canon Camera of this type I have owned. As they come out with a new one, I try to upgrade, but this time I have kept this one longer than usual. It isn't for everyone, because it is bigger and can't just be stashed in your small purse, but mine goes everywhere with me.

I take amazing pictures with this camera and everyone raves about them. You can zoom right up on somethingand take a great picture and it is an autofocus, so that makes it especially easy. I would highly recommend any of the IS cameras from Canon, or actually any Canon at all.

The canon digital camera is the greatest!

from Falls Church, VA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera:

The canon powershot S5 IS digital camera is the perfect camera if you want to take proffesional photographs like the proffesionals do. The style of the canon digital camera is really plain and only has one color black which makes it boring because black is not exciting at all. You can take amazing photographs with the canon powershot S5 IS digital camera plus you can video record which comes out amazingly great. The canon powershot S5 IS digital camera is a bit big a weights a litttle bit too which is not really good to carry around like other cameras. If you want a portable camera this is not for you at all. But if you want to take professional photographs and feel like a profesional then you the canon powershot S5 IS digital camera is for you. In my opinion, the canon powershot S5 IS digital camera is a great camera but it not portable but its still really great for beggining your career as a photographer.

The easiest great picture point and shoot!

from Tuscaloosa, AL

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera:

The Canon S5 IS has surprised me and made me look good among my friends and co-workers.  I cannot compare it to others but I have read reviews before making my decision and I've found them to be spot on.

The camera has a wonderful zoom. The ease of use is great.  The pictures have turned out to be contest worthy photos.

I have, however, had some trouble with keeping the camera stabilized when taking pictures. I have to find a prop to get clear (unshaky shots).

Sorry I'm not techy enough to go into more detail.

Love the Canon S5 IS camera!!

from Highland, WI

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera:

I absolutely love the Canon PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera!!! I received the Canon PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera as a Christmas present a few years ago. The Canon PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera was my first expensive digital camera and my first digital camera with a large zoom. I love that it has such a great zoom. The zoom was the main reason that I wanted this camera. The Canon PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera has a lot of options to use on it. I really don't use any of the extra options. I pretty much just use the auto mode and zoom in to where I want it to be and that is it. The only downside to this camera is the size. It is a larger camera. It will not fit into a pocket, but I did not expect it to. Bottom line: This is a great camera!

The Canon - Powershot S5 Digital Camera is easy to use.

from Altus, OK

Canon PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera

from Smithville, OH

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera:

I love this camera! I had a Kodak Easy Share (which I still use to carry around in my purse for those convenient "kodak moments"...) I thought that one took great pictures. Not until I tried the Canon PowerShot S5 IS Digital Camera did I realize what a HUGE difference there was! When comparing pictures, the Canon Powershot S5 ID Digital Camera 's pictures have so much more depth. The lighting and color vary drastically. In up close pictures you can really see the color and shades of someone's eyes. There is shading in these pictures giving them depth that you cannot even notice in pictures from other cheaper cameras. All this I noticed while in the Automatic Setting. The pictures really look professional! I would definitly recommend this camera to any aspiring photographers out there. There are a lot of neat options to choose from to enhance the quality of the pictures even more. It was also fairly easy for me to figure out how to use--which is a plus for someone technical illiterate like me!