Other Digital Cameras:

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D Digital Camera with 18-55mm IS lens

Pros

Cons

• Portability:

Cannon Digital Rebel XS 1000D: Yes, I was VERY GOOD this year..

**Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D Digital Camera with 18-55mm IS lens**In my own reflections, I've been really good this year.   Christmas morning I discovered that my Santa must have agreed.  Maybe Santa had read my comments on Mike Maroon's [Gifts Never to Get Your Wife][1] and was trying to make up for the 3 cook books last year.  Maybe it's true that the way to Santa's heart is through his belly and he's just really appreciated all the new recipes I've tried from the cook books.  Either way, Santa Baby, my Canon EOS Digital XS/Digital Camera was an awesome surprise and you left this girl gleeful to have you as my stocking stuffer.  I've had a long history of trusting my momentous moments to Canon.  Our Canon 35 mm (which is still a great camera after 14 years) always produced quality prints whether we were going for action shots or stylin' and profilin' portraits.  When we became parents and developed that common disorder that befalls new parents of taking and developing 6 of the same shot of our child in the cute hat hand made by the great grandmother just to be sure we got a good one, we realized that we had to go digital.We tried a few less expensive digital cameras and appreciated the ease of use and digital advantages but we were never as pleased with the photo quality as we had been with our original Canon 35 mm.  So our next step was a big gun, a Canon with an 85mm lens. This camera is a dream with the quality of photos and digital options. We were able to take postcard quality photos on our cross-country journey this summer.  While this camera produced awesome photos, it was big and really heavy.  It actually hurt my neck if I kept it strapped on for too long.  It definitely wasn't a "Mom" camera that could be carried in a pack to the pool or the park.  This new **Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D Digital Camera with 18-55mm IS lens** is the perfect solution.  It's lighter  weight (1.1 lbs.), easy to use, comes with all of the accessories I needed and produces quality photos for framing or scrapbooking.The Goodies that come with the **Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D Digital Camera: **EOS Rebel xs Wide shoulder strap Battery charger Battery Pack USB interface cable video cable CD-Rom softwareI love that I'll never again have to make a mad dash to the store for camera batteries when my camera batteries die the day of a big event!  Features of the new Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS/1000D:* Image Stabilization * Digic III processing * Live View* 7 point AF system* 10.1 MP* 2.5 inch LCD For those of you who are checking like we are, the Canon is made in Japan, the lens is made in Taiwan and the charger is made in China.***My Viewpoint:  ***Canon makes many great camera options but the **Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D **is perfect for this Mom who wants a light weight camera with a wide strap, a rechargeable battery and ability to instantly download photos but also demands quality printed photographs.  **Thank you Santa!**

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Gifts-NEVER-to-give-your-wife-or-girlfriend-review-95a22

i love the cannon Eos digitl Rebel Xs/1000d it's great

what i love about  the canon Eos digital rebel is that  it takes the most best photographs on the markent  .it's nice sulk body makes it look cool . tho there is some drawbacks  it's kind of heave and it's pretty big ,but depend do you what to do photography for a job or just for fun that is what you need to think .this cameras is also good for the beginners because it is easy to use  and well if you know how to work a canon power-shot then you should be able to work this cammera  they work about the same way  another thing i like about it is that it has a  nice big LDC screen which is nice for viewing photographs . the number one best thing about these cammeras  is you can change the lenses meaning you only have to buy one cammera which well save you on money  which i think is a good thing . you can also get pretty close  photographs because of the sweet big lens meaning if  what to take photograph births with out scaring them then this is the cammera for you.

Best Camera I ever Purchased!

from reading pa

Comments about Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS / 1000D Digital Camera with 18-55mm IS lens:

This is the best camera I have ever purchased. It was not a cheap investment, however this camera has never disappointed. The lens that comes with the camera is great as well as I purchased the father lens for this camera. It is not too heavy of a camera to carry around and it's performance is one of the best. I always get a nice clear picture. The options on the camera are great. I can use this at my kid's sports games, to take nice family photos and even do special options. I like the auto features to the manual ones.

Image Quality
The pixels are great on this camera, my photos always come out clear. Even when zooming in and out after the picture is taken my photos always look clear.

This is a camera I can count on. It has a quick shutter to allow quick photo takes.

Very easy to use even with all the different options it offers.

I have never had any problem with my camera even with it being around two young children.

Battery Life
I think the battery life is great on this camera. I feel like I get many pictures taken before the battery even gets half way down.

Portability
Very easy to carry around and take places. It is not too bulky but a decent size.

Great starter DSLR

from San Antonio, TX

My husband and I have owned several Canon digital cameras, and we love their DSLR line. We purchased our first DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera, a Canon EOS Rebel, about five years ago. It came with two kit lenses: a standard 18-55mm lens and a 75-300 mm zoom lens. Both of the lenses are useful, but they aren't very high-end. We did get pretty sharp pictures with them, but if you are looking for really creamy bokeh and a narrow depth of field, try looking into lenses with larger aperture capabilities (the 50mm 1.8 fixed lens is very affordable and versatile). Despite the fact that the largest aperture you can get on the zoom lens is 4.0 (if you're zoomed in all the way, the largest it gets is 5.6), if your subject is far enough in front of their background, you can still get a nice blurred background. We really enjoyed using this lens for sporting events or wildlife photography. The only real bummer about these lenses is that once we chose to upgrade from the Rebel to a full-frame model, these particular lenses aren't compatible with the higher end cameras.

Quality Camera at an Affordable Price

This camera is my new favorite! The pictures I have been able to take on our farm are phenomenal. It also works great for sports action shots, photos of kids, animals, beautiful landscapes and more! The pre-set settings are great but there are also many ways to customize your photography as well!

Image Quality
The image quality is phenomenal. They only problem I have sometimes is the white balance - my photos are sometimes too bright. Otherwise, the image clarity and quality is great!

Camera is very reliable. Battery life is unbelievable - I take a lot of photos and only charge it a few times each year!!

Camera is fairly easy to use. I still have a lot to learn, but there some basic settings that still allow you to take great photos - landscape, auto, portrait, etc. .

I always keep the camera in a quality case, but even while being used this camera is quite durable. I take it out on the farm, to cattle shows, fair and many sporting events. It is exposed to dirt but is very durable!

Battery Life
Battery life on this camera is UNBELIEVABLE! I take a lot of photos and rarely have to charge this battery - very nice!

Portability
The one thing that is not easy - it is a fairy large camera so there are some places I just opt not to take it and then use my phone camera.

Great Product

This product was affordable, durable and game me pro quality quality pictures. It's light weight and durable, which makes it perfect for traveling. Although there are smaller cameras in the market, this one gives you the option to use canon lenses. I believe this gives it a far better advantage to smaller compact cameras.

Image Quality
The canon gives you pro-quality pictures. It's compatible with canon lenses, which gives you many more options. I have used a 50mm 1.8 lens to get similar pictures like pros.

The rebel is easy to use. The options menu layout is simple. The camera also includes preset setting for action, night, no flash, etc.

I have owned this product for close to 6 years, it is still running in perfect condition.

Portability
This camera is light and small compared to a pro-camera. Its very portable, however, there are smaller digital cameras that are more portable than the rebel.

• Portability:

A great investment that will pay itself

I bought this product right before going on a trip to Europe and I am so happy that I did. Every time I show people our pictures from trips they are blow away with the quality. And I am no professional photographer.

Image Quality
I truly believe that this product is one of the best cameras on the market with the best quality. I am constantly getting complements from friends and family members. Some of my favorite pictures I have taken on this camera have been of my two children. I'm not a professional photographer but you wouldn't know because of the quality of my pictures.

For the most part I have not had any issues with performance and I have owned the camera for a few years. It is my first really expensive camera so I don't have much to compare it with.

It is pretty easy to use and If I ever run into any problems with the camera then I can look it up in the manual.

It is a very durable item that has outlasted being tossed around my two toddlers. We have had it for a few years now and have not had any issues.

Battery Life
I must rave about the battery life on this camera. It is probably the best thing about the camera. It literally has lated me a whole cruise vacation trip without charging it. I'm always so impressed that every time I turn it on it still has battery life.

Portability
It is a bit bulky but it is necessary to give you the quality and performance that you need.

• Portability:

Great quality and ergonomics!

I love the feel of this camera, good weight without being too heavy. Fits my hand perfectly, controls are easily accessible and located well. Image quality was amazing, even on the automatic setting. The only real downfall is the size, but that is something that is hard to get away from if you want all the other benefits of a D-SLR

Great camera!

I love this camera. It is very easy to use as a beginner photographer. The kit lens are not my favorite, my take good pictures still. I'd recommend looking for prime lens to use with this camera to really take great pictures. The manual has some good information, so definitely sit down and read it. Start out using the AUTO mode, but as soon as you are ready, begin using the manual settings like AV or Manual when you become more advanced. Great quality.

very easy to use!

Lasted a long time

My mom got this for me a few years ago for a photography class I was taking and I've really enjoyed using it over the years. Recently it finally gave out on me and I've been looking to upgrade to a Cannon T3i or T4i because I've been so impressed with the way the Cannon cameras have worked for me.

The one problem I really had with this model is that it doesn't perform very well in low lighting. The automatic and manuel features worked well and were easy to use and with proper exposure the pictures turned out really well.

Image Quality
In low lighting like dusk or anything where it's completely dark and you have to use the flash, the image quality suffers. It gets grainy and blurry.

I've had the occasional issue with the camera delaying when the picture is taken if I tried to take pictures in rapid succession.

This is a very simple camera with some additional advanced features if you choose to use them.

Lasted a number of years.

Battery Life
I seemed to always need to charge it after not much use.

• Portability:

The Best Camera I have ever owned!

from Eureka Springs, AR

This camera is amazing. I have had the simple digital cameras in the past, and I was never hard to please. But after owning this camera, I will never go back. The images are amazing. The quality is stunning. Yes, the camera is a little loud. But the finished product speaks for itself. It is pretty easy to use. I love the extra lens. I am just a believer in Canon,and now I am a believer in this product! Yes, it is expensive, but it is so worth it!

Love love love my Rebel

from Clymer, PA

I love this camera, for an DSLR, it is on the less expensive end, however I bought a bundle package with case and extra lens. The battery life is AWESOME!!. My biggest down fall is the screen shows the image but the only way to take pics is through the view finder. The manual with this camera I use often, it's very descriptive for teaching you how to take better pics. I love to have the background blurred out a little and this is perfect for that. I had my children's pictures taken professionally 2 years ago and they were terrible, so we went for a walk through the woods and I got several amazing pics out of them, I have blown then up to 16x20 and they look fantastic. The camera is pretty simple to use with auto or manual focus and again the manual is very easy to use and helpful. This camera does not do videos, but that wasn't a must for me.

Image Quality
16x20 pic-it's a close up of my kids face looks awesome blown up! I have had great success in all lighting as well

I have sent it back once for repair but it was covered under my warranty and the camera was only gone about 2 weeks for the the flash not popping up. but otherwise no other troubles.

This is a nicer camera then a point and shoot and I did have to read the manual, but I wanted to get the most out of my camera as I could and this is my first DSLR.

I have never dropped it, so I'm not sure of durability

Battery Life
This lasts a really long time. It's very nice.

Portability
it is bigger and bulkier than a regular digital camera, but comes with a strap and I take it everywhere with me