View more digital cameras

Other Digital Cameras:
Canon

Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera

Great professional starter camera!

The Canon EOS 50D is Canon's entry-level professional camera (for now - new ones come out about every 18 months or so, so the 50D is due to be replaced soon). It very capably bridges the gap between the Rebel series and the full-frame high-end professional series.

A colleague who already had a 50D told me that I would quickly come to love the thumb wheel control dial on the back of the camera, and he was right. Having two controls that allow me to change settings directly, without having to press any buttons, is very nice. By comparison, the Rebel XT has only the control dial near the shutter release, so you have to press a button to change its function. The way I use this most often is in adjusting the shutter speed and aperture. One is tied to the dial on top of the camera, the other to the wheel on the back. Simple. On the Rebel XT, I'd have to change shutter speed with the one dial, then press a button (not very conveniently located, either), then use the same dial to change the aperture. I much prefer the 50D's controls.

Another advantage the 50D and all of Canon's pro-level cameras have over the Rebel series is their all-metal body construction. This is meant to make them more damage-resistant, since "professional" photographers are rougher on their equipment than most amateurs. Personally, I have a creative 4-year-old daughter who is very interested in taking pictures and may manage to get her hands on this, and I want it to survive the experience. I also take it on location shoots as a budding professional photographer, but that's a secondary concern right now.

The 50D feels far more substantial in my hands than does the Rebel XT. The same colleague who raved about the control layout said that I'd think of the XT as a "toy" once I got the 50D. While I understand what he meant, I don't think of it as a toy at all - it's just a smaller camera with a smaller grip. If your hands are particularly small, you may not like the added size of the 50D. I would certainly recommend going to a store and "fondling" one before you buy, no matter where you intend to buy.

Picture quality is outstanding with the 50D, though that depends as much on the user as it does on the camera. One thing that Canon really hyped up for the 50D was its higher ISO range. Don't get too excited, because the really high ISO settings are pretty noisy. That said, it does give very good images at ISO 800 and ISO 1600, which is a step beyond previous cameras.

One thing I've noticed about the 50D versus the Rebel XT may be unique to my subject. I shoot a lot of fireworks displays, and the XT seems to give a richer color to the image than does the 50D. That may also be related to settings that I have yet to discover.

Another note, in case you don't already know: Canon handles image stabilization (vibration reduction) in its lenses, not in the camera body.

If you're looking for something more than the Rebel line, but don't want to cough up the serious coin for a full-frame dSLR, I have no qualms recommending the 50D. Canon knows how to make cameras, and they have a track record of adding technology from high-end models to the lower-level ones with each successive release. And their lenses are outstanding.

Canon EOS 50D Digital Camera so-so

Well this is all I could afford so I should be grateful. No major technical problems or unexpected troubles. One thig is, I cannot control the features as I would have expected: I think I have a dialog with my Canon but then it goes off and produces something which is not exactly what I wanted. I am left feeling there are more state-of-the art cameras by now, but I have modest needs. I am amateurish and need just to record faces that are meaningful to me in places and occasions that are meaningful to me: this camera does the job. If I had the means, I would look for something that I can customize in terms of size, assemblage, and publication, so as to have a series of portfolios with commentaries; I would like to import pictures which I did not take, to enrich the narrative. This camera is not very slick and convenient to take on trips, but again, as a minimalistic commodity, it works! I would not give it as a gift.

One of the best cameras

from Saudi Arabia, Riyadh, AL-Zahrah

About Me Semi-Pro Photographer

Pros

• Easy to Use
  • Fast Shutter Speed
  • Good Battery Life
  • Small / Compact

Cons

• Limited Zoom
  • Poor in Low Light

• Family Photos
  • Sports/Action
  • Travel
  • Video
  • Weddings/Events
  • Wildlife photos

Comments about Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera:

I bought these cameras and I am a novice and helped me to be semi-professional

• Was this a gift?:

Great Camera!

from Garretson, SD

Comments about Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera:

This was my first DSLR camera, and it's definitely done well for me! I assume if you're looking at buying this camera, you're already comfortable with some photographical and technical jargon. Because of the type of photos I shoot, I don't have time to figure out the correct settings in manual mode, so I usually end up shooting on full auto/no flash mode. It almost always correctly exposes the shot, and if not, the next shot is always better. The white balance can be a little quirky at times, both in manual and auto. Also, it obviously depends on the lens you choose to use, but I have found it a little more difficult to get high-quality indoor photos. Yes, they do turn out, but if you're looking to shoot something such as professional-quality wedding photos in churches with very little natural lighting, you're definitely going to have to put some time and preparation into the shots. The menu can be a little tricky to navigate at first, but some time with the manual and just fiddling around will solve that.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

totally awesome camera will do everything you need

from Linton, IN

Comments about Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera:

This camera will about everything you need! Once you READ THE DIRECTIONS and get to playing with this camera it will take great pics for you and you will be impressed by the ease of it!

Image Quality
AWESOME just isnt a good enf word!

awesome...I didnt try it in cold weather..my other digital froze up during cold temps and wouldnt perform but I dont know for sure about this one!

so easy...recommend reading the directions!

always watch the lense of course...i keep a hood on mine for extra protections!

Battery Life
great battery life...I can take TONS of pics with it...about 400 and still have battery left!

Portability
somewhat heavy on your neck but for the most part not bad

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

from Chadwicks, NY

Comments about Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera:

Love this camera I got it for Christmas and it's great I could never find a camera that could take pictures with movement and not be all blurry and the quality if awsome the pictures don't look like a bunck of little dots mushed together it looks like what it's supposed to look like! I will never buy anything but cannon ever again! If you don't like your camera this is a good pick for you!

This little CANON is geat

from Greenfield, IN

Comments about Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera:

I have a Canon SLR Digital camera, but allow me to tout he little Canon I have carried in my purse for 5 years.

It is the Canon 10 elph point and shoot. I took it to Europe twice and my pictures are award winners. The "close up" feature is awesome.

You probably want me to say smething about my Rebel, but the P and S cameras that Canon makes are tops on my list.....You can friend me on facebook and see my thousands of photos taken with it.

Deborah Troutman-Immink

Great professional starter camera!

from Bedford, TX

Cannon EOS 50D Camera

from Mustang, OK

Comments about Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera:

I have owned my Cannon EOS 50D for approximately 2 years now. I am extremely happy with this camera. I find it easy to use and handle. I have several lens that I use with this camera. I shoot seniors, cheerleading (action), engagement pictures and wedding with this camera. Sometimes when using my telephoto lens and have been taking photos at competitions, etc it does start to feel slightly heavy, but nothing so heavy that would make me not use it. I like the screen, it's a good size and has high ISO settings. I feel it is very durable because I have tripped and fallen twice while using my camera; falling and watching my camera fly onto the concrete and then finding that it still works! I have not had any trouble with this camera. I would definitely recommend it.

Canon 50D best camera!

from Pleasant Grove, UT

Comments about Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera:

I have had my canon 50D for over a year now. I have loved every minute of using it. I upgraded from a 30D and have used lots of rebels over the years. The ISO on this camera is so much better than the less expensive cannons. I can't even believe the difference it makes. It is such a durable camera, I love how sturdy it feels. My pictures always turn out great. I love that it is compatible with so many lenses as well, the EF-S lenses are some of my favorite so this was an easy choice for me. It is a perfect camera for an intermediate to professional photographer. I have had such great results with all of my pictures. The only down side to this camera is the weight, but with the weight comes durablity, definitely worth it!

Canon

from Irvine, CA

Comments about Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera:

I'm a very enthusiastic amateur, who spends weekends and vacations shooting. I've gone through about five dSLRs so far, and this Canon is, by far, my favorite. After a few various Nikons and the Canon Rebel all treated me fairly well, I was surprised by just how much I love this particular dSLR, the 50D. One of the major complaints is its weight, but honestly, any dSLR worth anything will weigh just as much. That weight translates to quality - of material, of construction, and of your images. I've travelled all over the world with this camera, and it's produced such an amazing results, I wouldn't trade it for anything in this same price range. I've even been hesitant to upgrade my camera, when the opportunities have come my way, because this one treats me so well. The controls are excellent, it's incredibly tough and durable, and the available range of lenses is outstanding. Honestly, I'm picky when it comes to my cameras, and I've not a single complaint about this one. Granted, I'm not a professional, and I can't analyze all the tech specifics, but the Canon 50D has left me wanting for nothing.

Great camera for a pro Wedding Photographer

from Cortland, OH

Comments about Canon - EOS 50D Body Only Digital Camera:

I use this camera everyday for weddings and portrait session. Best camera I have had yet.

Responds well, auto focus is good. I have never had an issue with it in a year of owning.

Battery Life is good and the customizable opions are good. Best thing is the screen. Amazingly clear.

If you are not a professional, auto modes work well. The on camera flash is ok for most situations, however I would recomend getting an off camera flash too.

Color profiles are good. Auto white balance is normally right on.

The lens that normally comes with it (the 28-135mm 3.5/5.6 usm is) is a really nice lens. Perfect for vacations and photo adventures.

Over all I would recomend this camera to anyone. Worth the cash.