Other Camera Lenses:
Zoom Lens
Canon
Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS

Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS

People are bored with spectacular.

from Mechanicsburg, PA

Comments about Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS:

This lens has been around quite a while. I think people have just gotten fatigued about it and don't accept that it is an exceptional lens for the money. It isn't as good as primes, and it doesn't take in as much light as an 85mm f/1.2L, but as a zoom lens, it is an excellent lens.

I've owned two and both were excellent. I will say that past 70mm it does get a touch soft, but you work with the limitations of the lens. There are zooms available from canon that are twice as much and only 5% better... honestly that doesn't seem like a sufficient trade off.

Get this lens... love it and you will be happy with the results.

Great travel lens for hiking and landscape photography

from Manchester, CT

Comments about Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS:

A relatively new offering from Canon, the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens is a light weight high performance lens that works perfectly for light weight backpacking or hiking. With the built in IS I can get up to 3 stops of extra hand holdability. I have created very sharp images using this lens at 1/6th of a second exposure. The lens works perfectly as a travel lens for me along with my 17-40 /f4 and 100-400 f/4.5-56 L IS lenses.

All around lens!

from Bloomington, CA

Comments about Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS:

This review is in regards of the **Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras. **First off, this lens is an everyday "walk around lens" meaning this lens can be use in any situation (whether its portrait shots, landscape shots, it will do the job). The 24-105mm lens is a standard zoom lens with an f/4 maximum aperture. Built inside the lens, we have an Ultrasonic Motor that powers the lens to react with the camera. The Ultrasonic Motor also helps the IS (Image stabilizer) to reduce blur images caused by camera shakes and at the same time offer superb auto-focus. Photographers can now choose the manual focus/function instantly and at any time simply by moving the manual focus ring without first having to switch out of autofocus mode. With this lens, you get a constant f/4 aperture from 24-105mm (which allows the photographer to manually set the exposure and aperture without dealing with a specific shutter speed). If you're in the market looking for a quality lens (built like a tank - all metal) then this product is for you. Try it out.

Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS

from Orange, CA

Comments about Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS:

I went on a month long vacation and needed an all-purpose lens to carry around as I did not want to carry all just the primes that I own. Actually I only own two primes (50mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2) and as you can see these lenses are not exactly very wide for landscape photography. Though the 50mm would have been fine, I borrowed this lens from a buddy. Let me just say that the weight of this lens really is not bad at all. I paired this on a 5D Mark II and it was very comfortable. I have used the 24-70 f/2.8 for a day and that lens is a beast. The 24mm is more than wide enough for my needs and the 105mm reach at f/4 was nice to have handy. As with most lenses you will find that wide open shots tend to be a bit soft and this one is also the case. For the most part, it was sharp enough for my needs. Nothing a little post processing cannot sharpen up. The lens is fast to focus and it does so silently. The bokeh is decent and good enough for many situations. Overall this is a nice lens to have when you don't want to carry anything else. I'd still prefer the 24-70 f/2.8, even with its weight.

Great lens

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS:

This is a great all around lens.

24 - 105mm range. Image Stabilization, good build quality with a semi-weather seal, lighter weight. Now this is not a "light" lens, but light enough to be a lens that's on my camera all the time. Sharp images, fast focus. Wide enough to be useful on crop sensors.

Of course the con would be the f/4.0. The bokeh is still decent at 4.0, but even the IS is not enough to cover the slow f/4.0 at poorly lit indoor conditions. The f/4.0 does keep the price and weight lower. ( so poor people like me can own a great lens! )

Another slight con would be that you can see the lens extending along with the hood, while the 24-70 extends inside hood which stays on the fixed outer portion of the lens. ( purely aesthetic issue)

It is still a very sharp all-around lens that will give you a lot of joy taking pictures. The sharp image with lighter weight and longer range + IS makes this a great lens.

very nice walk-around zoom lens

from Durham, NC

Comments about Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS:

Until recently, this was my “walk-around” lens for my full frame Canon SLR camera and it suited my needs pretty well. This is a great lens and covers a perfect focal range for indoor/outdoor photography. My only gripe with this lens was the aperture of f/4 was just too small for a number of low light needs for me. I shoot some indoor sports and weddings, where lighting is terrible and sometimes I can’t use a flash, so I had to shoot on my crop camera with a f/2.8 lens (until I upgraded to the 24-70mm L which I adore). The autofocus on this lens is very fast and accurate and the image quality is what you would expect from an “L” series Canon lens. I miss the 70-105mm range that I lack now with my 24-70, however I can pull out my telephoto if I need the extra reach. If you are not planning on getting a longer telephoto to cover 70mm+, then this lens is ideal (unless you need the large aperture). The image stabilization is a life saver if you have shaky hands or need a few extra stops to compensate for lower light. One complaint for this lens is that it’s a bit heavy, so be prepared that it will take some getting used to. If you have been shooting with the brick, then this wont be a problem for you.

Great everyday walk around lens

from Plattsmouth, NE

Comments about Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS:

I am a Canon girl and this lens is a great lens to have on your camera for almost all normal every situations. It can zoom out far enough for most, but not all, purposes. And it can also shoot at 24mm which is great for shooting close up subjects or large subjects like buildings. I like to use this lens on my camera when I take my dogs for a walk. It is great for shooting outdoors, good for indoors. It has image stabilization, so camera shake is not a problem, and it's a pretty light lens so it doesn't bother me to walk around and carry it for a few miles. It has excellent sharpness and is pretty darn fast at 4.0. It is much easier to carry around on my camera than some of the other walk around lenses, which can be much heavier. I love this lens on my camera because of it's all around great quality, sharpness, speed and zoom capabilities. It is a reasonably priced everyday lens that I will keep on my camera most of the time.

This is a sturdy walkabout len

from Carrboro, NC

Comments about Canon - EF 24-105 f/4 L IS:

I have been owning this len since I bought my Canon 50D.  I'd say it's a rather sturdy len, feels good in your hands, and very well built.  If you are not extremely savvy about photography, this is a perfect all-purpose len.  Especially I would recommend get most of your picture by using this len in the right way. No len at this focus range will give you impeccable pictures at any focus, the picture image quality tends to be soft when you use the 24 or 105 end.  However, usually it's not a big problem if you use something in the middle.  Many people compare this to 24-70, of course 24-70 is a very good len, also has arguably better image quality, however, I found the differences between the two are very minor.  IS stands for image stablization and it really does what it said.  When you shoot using the 105 end, you can easily tell how useful this feature is.  Also another reason you should have this len is it's recently released and should keep its value for a considerable amount of time