3.7
Canon
Canon - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer Telephoto Zoom Lens

Canon - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer Telephoto Zoom Lens

3.7

Canon's EF 55-250mm IS is a great everyday Lens!

from Florence, OR

Comments about Canon - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer Telephoto Zoom Lens:

**I bought this Canon lens along with my Canon EOS 50D and it's a great everyday, very inexpensive lens! This paired with the Canon EF 18-55mm IS make a great collection for any Canon DSLR. I ahve taken hundreds of photos with this and as it's not up to par with the L series, for an everyday, regular lens, it does quite well. I like the size and weight of it, especially compared to other zoom lenses by Canon. It's also convenient that it has the 58mm filter size. It gets a little soft at the 250mm end, but not more than any other zoom lens. The Image Stabilizer is great also. It helps immensely with action shots and moving shots. I took this on a whale watching trip in a fishing bot on the ocean and got some decent shots, especially since we were rocking back and forth in the water. This also worked great at the zoos and aquariums. It's a great lens to have at the park and for portrait photography. I would recommend this lens.**

Decent lens for everyday use

from Onalaska, WI

I purchased this lens as an upgrade to my Canon Rebel when I first bought it. I used it a lot initially when I purchased it but have now upgraded my equipment more to enhance my ability to take children's portraits semi-professionally.  Though I rarely use this lens at this point I think it is still a good lens and would be a great addition to a basic camera for many people.

There are several things that are really great about this lens. First off, it is a canon lens and is quality built. It does have the image stabilization feature with helps many people, especially those just entering the realm of DSLR photography to capture crisp photos. The range on this camera is wonderful, you can zoom nice and close but still take a wider angle photo too. The lens is also relatively small given the zoom and not really all that heavy either.

One thing I don't like about this lens is the lack of a low f-stop, but to get that you would have to spend much more money. If you are wanting to use this lens outside more than inside this wouldn't be a problem, but this lens does not preform well in low-light situations.

Overall its a good lens, with good features, its just not for the type of photography I prefer to do.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm provides great value and shots

from Mechanicsburg, PA

The 55-250 is a great lens for photographers who don't want to walk around with a tripod.  That's not a joke either.  A tripod will provide the best stability and clearest shots, but it isn't always conducive to set up a tripod in the bleachers.  With the Image stabilization that is built into the lens, the subject is often crisp and clear.

This lens will get good to great shots.  They may not be published in a magazine, but the value of the lens is proportionate to the cost.  Many retailers are offering either the 70-300 lens or the 55-250 lens in packages with the Canon XS, T1i, or T2i.  I would wholly suggest opting for the 55-250.  The difference in zoom is negligible, and you will have more photos that come out well than images that are automatically deleted because they are out of focus or there is too much noticeable shake during the capture.

I'd also suggest immediately placing a UV filter over the lens to eliminate any chance of dust or scratches.  It's a great lens at a great price.  Hopefully you get one in a bundle with a DSLR, but if you don't, it is still well worth the money.