Other Baby Sunscreens:

California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+

Pros

Cons

Expensive but SO worth it

I realize I pay quite a bit more than most people for sunscreen.  I think many of my friends would gasp when they hear how much our little tube costs.  In all areas of life our family is extremely value-conscious, and it would be shocking to them.  I am probably one of a handful of parents in my 3rd grader's class who "makes" their child go to school with sunscreen on EVERY day.  I grew up in a nation so affected by skin cancer that I cannot in good conscience let my girls play hatless out in the direct sun, at noon, for 30 minutes, with no sunscreen.  Case in point - today I berated myself because I forgot to apply it to my 2 year old before she went out.  She didn't get burnt, but I know that sun damage is cumulative.  ANYWAY, all this is said to indicate that we are serious about our sun protection, including sunscreen :)  We buy California Baby sunscreen because of Environmental Working Group ratings that indicate that is the least likely to harm the long term development of our two girls.  The active ingredient in California Baby sunscreen is titanium dioxide which is a physical barrier.  It is active longer than a 'chemical' active ingredient.  Was discussing sunscreen with our dermatologist who whispered, "You know, if it's a chemical ingredient and a parent puts it on before school, it'll be inactive by lunchtime".  Application wise, it is a little white when it goes on, but only a little.  There is 'no fragrance' in the sunscreen but it smells not unpleasant at all.  Even though we are at the pool everyday in the summer, the 2.9oz tube lasts us a long time because we tend to use it mostly on faces and have those rashguards to cover arms.  This is the one really expensive thing we buy.

Californi Baby sunscreen is good but not worth the price tag

California Baby Unscented Sunscreen lotion 30+ SPF is a pretty good product. I do thing it has some smell but may just be the natural smell of the ingredients made to use it. Seems to have a good non-runny consistancy but also seems to take a bit to get rubbed in well. I think that it is a overpriced. I have used other natural based sunscreens that worked just a well (maybe better) on my son and they were not as expensive. They also came in a larger size bottle - so more for less. It seemed to be a little but sticky feeling, not quite greasy but makes it so that sand and etc. stick to baby a bit more then i would like (maybe i just didnt get it rubbed in well enough? or used to much). It did do well at keeping my son from getting red or burned so that is good. All in all it is a pretty good product and does match most of its claims in my opinion, it is just a bit pricy for my book. But if your willing to pay more the the natural products this may be a product to try, if not stick to some of the lower price options.

I'll admit it...

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

... I use this lotion for myself! When I go out on my boat in the summer, there are often many biting insects, and the last thing I want is them to pick up a scent from my sunscreen. This sunscreen absolutely has no scent, so it is perfect. I also have very sensitive skin. I decided to try this baby sunscreen upon recommendation from a friend who has similar skin to me. Not only doesn't it irritate my skin, but it protects it from the sun unlike any other SPF 30+ product I have tried! It is very rich and creamy, and really creates a barrier between your skin and the sun's harmful rays. At the same time however, it doesn't clog my pores and make me break out, as many other sunscreens do. Say goodbye to sunburns!

Absolutely excellent for adults!!!

No scent at all!

Absorption
Absorbs very well, leaving a slight creamy feeling on the skin. I like this though, because it lets me know it's still there! When I don't feel it anymore on my skin, I reapply.

Great for kids

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

This product worked great for my son when he was a baby. I plan to also use it for my daughter who is an infant. It is great for sensitive skin or babys. It is a little hard to get a toddler to stand still to get it on but it is worth it. Better for you then the spray sunblocks on the market, that have cancer causing properties.

This product is effective. It does need to be applied often and after you have been in the water. It will prevent sunburn if it is applied as directed.

This product has no noticeable scent to it.

Absorption
This product does need to be rubbed in quite well and does take a lot of elbow grease to do it. This can be a bit of a challenge with toddler aged children. Also if the child has sand on them they will need to be wiped down before applying but this is true of many other products. If the child is wet, they will need to be dried to get the product to absorb into the skin to provide effective protection

• Absorption:

Best sunscreen for Baby and kids of all ages

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

Years ago, another mom had told me about this sunscreen when I expressed how concerned I was of all the chemicals they put in Babies and children's sunscreen and didn't want to put those harsh ingredients on my child.

It is creamy and thick, not oily or greasy and goes on with easy. Sometimes I order the pump, which is convenient. But, also like having this tube as it can fit easy into our pool/beach bag and travels well.

I used this on my son's face and body so, no need for 2 separate sun blocks. This one can be used all over the body. It is also waterproof. You will only need one coat and will not need to reapply.

I am happy to say that my child has never had a sunburn...and it's because of this sunblock. If I could give it a higher rating than a "5", I would!

Is an extremely effective sun block.

This sunblock is fragrance free. It has no smell what so ever.

Absorption
The cream absorbed quickly and easily into skin and stays on for hours.

Very safe sunscreen!

from Salem, OR

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

When I was researching sunscreens online, I found that the California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 30+ was a very safe option. I liked that it didn't have many of the chemicals that cheaper childrens' sunscreens had. What I didn't enjoy as much was the high price tag, but in the end it's worth the extra money to keep my kids safe from chemicals. It's easy to apply.

• Absorption:

Safe for all ages and types and non-toxic

from Edmeston, NY

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

I purchased this for the whole family because I am concerned about all the toxic chemicals that we are absorbing through our skin as well as through pesticide laden foods and GMO products starting to come up the food chain. I like it because of the way it goes on and I like the fact that it is odorless. The biggest problem I have with the product is its price, but I was able to get it at a discount and with free shipping so it wasn't as bad.

slightly whiteish

• Absorption:

Natural, effective and gentle.

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

This sunscreen is rated extremely well for effectiveness and being non toxic. It's also one of only two sunscreens I can personally use without having a MAJOR allergic reaction, which speak highly towards is natural, simple ingredients.

It has zinc oxide as a main ingredient, you can't beat it.

It is unscented!

Absorption
You have to rub it in well because the zinc tends to leave a white cast to your skin, but i don't mind that at all.

Best ever

from Germantown, MD

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

We have used this for over three years and find it very effective for even adults and prolonged exposure. Yes it goes on whiteish, but it is not a chemical loaded product and you can see where you may have missed while you put it on. It does not have any irritating fragrences and does not hurt if it gets into eyes. My children have never burned or complained about it. Because it is not loaded with chemicals I do not worry if it somehow gets a little into their mouths. It does sometimes feel a little greasy after you have been sweating, but then you have been sweating and are bound to feel a bit greasy. I have gone all day in the sun and playing in the water with only one application and have had no issues with burning. I highly recommend that if you have sensitive skin or a lot of allergies that you try this one!

Great For Little Ones

from Gilbert, AZ

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

Let me tell you the very best part about this. It does not make kids mad when they get it in their eyes. Because it is so gentle and made with all natural ingredients, it does not burn their eyes. I am sure all the moms out their know what I am talking about. You get your little one all dressed for the pool, lather them with sunscreen, and then they freak out when some gets in their eyes along with the pool water. I HATE that! It is a huge hassle, but mostly it makes me sad to think of the sunscreen burning their little eyes. You don't have to worry about that with the California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion. That makes it worth the extra cost in my book! It is a little pricey, but you do get what you pay for and California Baby products are worth what you pay!

California Baby SPF30+ is a Skin safe Sun block

from Yakima, WA

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

alifornia Baby spf30+ no fragrance lotion is great for keeping the sun off of delicate Baby skin, which is recommended year round and not just during the warmer months. Its recommended for Moms/women too. I like that California Baby is a sun block that uses titanium dioxide as a barrier to block UVA/UVB rays so no chemical sunscreen in this product.

Some Moms do not care for the fact that California Baby is a block and should be applied as a thin layer on the skin. Reapplications can and often do mean a whitish tinge because this is what sunblocks containing tinanium and zinc do and that is how they work...again as a barrier to block UVA/UVB rays.

One alternative is to wipe down the baby (or Mom's face) with aloe wipes to disperse some of the block before reapplying. Otherwise, options include looking into chemical sunscreens as they go on clear and/or penetrate the skin.

How I use it: Start with clean, patted dry skin. Use a lotion on baby to moisturize the skin (for Mom's face use serum first then moisturizer) massage in for a few minutes until absorbed then apply California Baby spf30+ no fragrance lotion.

As always, remember to buy smarter in order to spend less of your hard earned money. Look for sale and special offer prices, don't forget to use store/manufacturer coupons.

Good sunscreen, not very easy to apply

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about California Baby No Fragrance Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30+:

Everyone in my family is very, very pale, so I am concerned about protecting my kids' skin from the sun.  While I want them to be free of sunburns, I don't want the sunscreen to cause harm on its own.  This product works well with my kids' sensitive skin, but it is a little difficult to apply.  I do think that it is worth the effort because this is one of the most natural products.  It also comes in a nice sized bottle which fits well into my diaper bag so I can keep it with me at all time.  The other thing that I don't really like about it is that it leave the skin a kind of funny color.  It leaves kind of a white/purple residue on the skin, so it isn't a product that I would use daily as a regular protectant from the sun, but I do use it for trips to the park or the beach.  I really wish that a company could develop a natural sun product that is easy to apply so that it is a safe and practical to use every day.