Other E-commerce Websites:

Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com

Pros

Cons

Creative Fun for Kids

Since I now have two little girls, I often look for new things to buy them and that means visiting web sites that I hadn't used in the past. One site that is newer to me but that I have grown to enjoy is **Buildabear.com**, a web site that allows shoppers the opportunity to shop for stuffed animals and add special customization. **Web Site Commentary:** Buildabear.com offers products and services in several categories. Most people come here looking to buy a stuffed animal, but there are other products, too, like clothing, shoes, accessories (like sunglasses, backpacks, pillows, etc.), gift cards, and more. There are also many services like Party Scheduling, free games, printable cards, desktop downloads, e-cards, postcards, storybooks, newsletter, and other fun things. This web site is very good for a number of reasons. The main thing I like is the number of items of merchandise and the number of services available. Not only are there bears for sale, there are articles of clothing, games, free e-cards, and many other things. Scheduling parties and building bears are the main reasons people visit this site, but there are plenty of other reasons to come to buildabear.com and there are services that go well beyond buying bears and dressing them. Speaking of the bears, there is one pleasant surprise that people will notice with this site and with the Build-a-Bear stores: They sell more than just bears. There are many different stuffed animals for sale in this site, like bunnies, kittens, lions, dogs, and more. This isn't too surprising, because a web site/retail store would not likely attract many customers if all it sold was bears. Some kids prefer other types of stuffed animals, and Build-a-Bear is right there to accommodate you, with plenty of other options. What is unique about Build-a-Bear is that it allows customization of stuffed animals. Stuffed animals can be customized by adding special sounds and accessories. Clothing, shoes, phones, handbags, and other items can be added to your selected stuffed animal. Kids really enjoy this feature because it allows them to be creative. From the color of the clothing to a special greeting sound every time they squeeze their stuffed animal, Build-a-Bear lets kids creative something unique- something unlike any other stuffed animal they could buy in a toy store. The shipping of orders in this site can take some time depending on the option selected and it can also add quite a bit to your order. The site offers economy shipping through USPS, and there are several FED EX options. But I strongly recommend against using the expedited services because they are very expensive. They can easily double the total cost of your order. The only economical option is the economy shipping. It will take a couple of weeks, but it will add only about $6 to your order.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, Buildabear.com is a very nice on- line store and it one I am certain to visit again in the future. My girls are still young and they are far from outgrowing their infatuation with stuffed animals. It means many more visits to Build-a-Bear, both on- line and in the shopping mall (Build a Bear operates physical location stores, too), as my girls show how creative they can be with a stuffed animal, some sounds, and some clothing and accessories.

Mixed reviews on this one.

One or two years ago, my kids discovered Build A Bear and we began coming here again. I just knew at some point, we certainly must have enough points to amount to some benefit. So, finally, I called customer service and contacted the store online. They advised me that all my points from our prior address were frozen because they were over two years old, and that they would try to get them credited to my account (now reactivated). I have never heard of such. However, I did recently order about 1/2 of my son and daughter's Christmas/Birthday through their website. I had no problems whatsoever. Items were expedited pretty quickly to my home. Items were also as advertised. I have not tried the sound in each one yet as they are hidden away for the holidays already, but I assume they will work. The communication in the emails from the online order was good. It was clear and efficient to inform me where I was in the processing, the amount I spent, and tracking information for the order. The only problem I had was that I had to call customer service about the order since there was no coupon enclosed as was promised when I placed the order. It was immediately mailed out and received. Problem solved.

Build a Bear is the Best

from Austin, TX

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

I purchased a My Little Pony stuffed animal from buildabear.com. We had gone to the store, but they were out of the particular one that my daughter wanted. So, I ordered it online. I was easily able to order the particular pony, along with the accessories at buildabear.com. Then I was able to take the pony and items to the build a bear store to have 'stuffed'. My daughter was able to have the same bear building experience and it was wonderful. The ease of shopping online was great and simple. Also, the items arrived within the time frame stated. The quality of the items was very good and my daughter has enjoyed playing with the pony, her outfit and the roller skates. Build a bear is always fun and the website is fun too.

Making little girl's dreams come true!

Profile Image

from Florida

Verified Reviewer

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

For christmas this year my 8 year old daughter received a gift card for build a bear. After a little investigation we found out that there no longer was a build a bear workshop in our local mall, or within 250 miles of us! My daughter was devastated, she had been wanting to make her own bear for almost a year. My hubby looked up the build a bear website and sure enough, we could order her bear and pay for it with her card. The two of them had a great time, looking at every single item on the site and picking out exactly what Olivia wanted. They must have spent 2 hours there and in the end my daughter was a happy girl. The shipping was free and her package got here really fast. The entire process was really good, one of the better e-commerce sites to interact with. Plus they made my little girl a happy kid so I really like them.

I order from this site often

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

I really like being able to go online to complete a build a bear product. The closest build a bear is 2 hours away so this makes it super convenient. I have created bears to my little ponies to Brutus the buckeye and love them all. I am highly satisfied. My kids love them. Anyone we have given them to as a gift loves them. They are long lasting and durable.

This website is very easy to use. You can search for items or browse the categories. You can find everything you need to create a product and more.

Product Selection
There is a large selection of bears and other animals. You can find just about anything you are looking for and there is a wide selection of accessories to go with the animal you choose.

Product Pricing
I feel the pricing is fair for the product you receive. The product is made of good quality and is long lasting. We have had several of our stuffed animals for over five years and they are still going strong.

Fun for presents

from Utah

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

We decided to look at buildabear.com for a present for our kids, and we were able to find some fun things, both for pre-designed bears as well as actually designing and building ourselves. Our kids have loved the stuffed animals that they received, and we love this store.

Product Selection
I was disappointed to find that they did not have sport themed animals. I was hoping to find Eagles and Phillies bears, but I was not able to. They do have a few other themes though (Captain America, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc).

Product Pricing
The prices on the site are a little bit high, but that is to be expected from a custom design site. However, the prices are high enough to limit how much we use the site. We'll use it for special birthday and Christmas gifts for our kids, but we do not use it for much else.

Shipping and Returns
We can get free shipping on orders over $40, and that is not very difficult on this site. The shipping is generally pretty fast (although we don't tempt fate by waiting too close to Christmas to place an order, so I don't know about shipping at the last minute right before Christmas).

Awesome site

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

I am a huge fan of the build a bear store itself and having the website to shop from at home is awesome. They have a ton of different stuffed animals to choose from on the website! While my little girl prefers to go in store to make her animal, it is still cool that you can order them online too if you want to. I typically use the website to buy clothing items for her little bears and animals. I love that you can find outfits in team colors and match them to your favorite sports team. My daughter has a cheerleading bear and we are always excited to find new products on the website to go along with it. The prices are very reasonable and sometimes are even cheaper on the website than they are in the store. Sometimes we like to browse the animals available so we can just go to the store and ow what we want. Even when we are not going to purchase anything it is still fun to browse the website to see what it new.

The website is really easy to use. It is set up into different categories so you can go almost directly to whatever you may be looking for.

Product Pricing
I cannot complain about the prices. There are always specials going on on the website so you can find good deals.

• Shipping and Returns:

Great website, not as fun as in store but a better selection

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

I've bought my share of build-a-bears for sure. The in store experience is one of a kind with the little dance you have to do to put the heart in and stuffing it yourself is pretty fun. However, if you are not a child that enjoys this part, the website is a much better experience. Its convenient to be able to build your bear from home, plus the website has such an extensive selection that you cannot find in the stores. I was able to make my boyfriend a unique bear with his favorite teams football jersey with his name sewn on, which wasn't an option to pick up in the store. The website is easy to use and navigate and I got the bear built very quickly. It was also completed and delivered to me quickly. The only down side is that build a bear products are quite pricey, but they do make a great unique gift. I also like that when you buy them for children they can use the website to register it, which they seem to really like.

Build a Bear is great!

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

My kids love making new and different Build-A-Bears all of the time and we live nowhere near a store so having their website to use has been so awesome and very convenient. You can build your bear or other stuffed animal any way that you want on buildabear.com. The website also has an area where you can input your information from the stuffed animals that you have made and you can put them into it and play games with them, this is so much fun for kids and it is great for them to be able to see their creations come to life on the computer screen. It is easy to create whatever you want on this website and they have made it so easy and kid friendly so that kids do not have a hard time with it. The price of their stuffed animals is a little bit on the expensive side, but I have found that these stuffed animals will last a lot longer than others, so they are very much worth it. I always get a flat rate shipping and it is always very quick. Their customer service is outstanding and they are always there to help, they are great!

Build a bear

Profile Image

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

I just love build a bear! It's the best place to take kids for stuffed animals. They have quite a large selection of stuffed toys to pick from. There are outfits and accessories also to suit every child and their interests. The child starts by picking the toy they want, then they pick any sounds if they want. They go to the machine and stuff the toy with stuffing, before the employee stitches it up the child kisses a heart and places it inside. They can then go on and pick out outfits for their new toy. I love that the child is so involved with the whole process, it really makes the toy that much more special. Your child even gets to name their new toy and a birth certificate prints out!

They have employees helping you and your kids through the whole process.

Product Selection
They have everything from bears, to turtles and everything in between.

Product Pricing
Pricing is very good for what your getting. Special items are usually priced a little higher.

Customer Service
Excellent customer service.

Shipping and Returns
Never had to return anything, my kids love everything they've ever picked out.

Great website

from Kansas

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

Everyone that has been to a Build-A-Bear knows how chaotic the store can be. Using their website is a way to purchase their awesome products without having to physically go deal with the madness in store.

The website is extremely easy to use. I do have to say it is somewhat slow when loading though. All you have to do is search for whatever stuffed animal you want and then you have the option to dress it. If you like what you see, then you are done. It is as simple as that! It is fun to use with children because it is so interactive and they really seem to like it.

I received free shipping both times I purchased products from them and the orders were perfect.

Very easy to navigate. You can narrow your search down by category, price range, color, collection, or occasion.

Product Selection
Huge range of stuffed animals and accessories to chose from so you can create your own custom toy.

Product Pricing
I have always thought Build-A-Bear was a little overpriced.

Shipping and Returns
Free shipping on orders over $40. I have never had to return a product to them.

• Shipping and Returns:

Great site for in store ideas or if you don't have retail near y

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Build-A-Bear | BuildABear.com:

I love bears. My bed usually has at least three stuffed bears hanging around. More then one of the bears that live in my house are from Build a Bear. The site is wonderful in that you can order a fully customized bear for yourself or anyone who loves bears, dogs, cats (and many of the other animal options they have in addition to bears). The only downside is that you personally don't "build" your bear in the sense that you don't push the lever to stuff him, put the heart in, etc. But if you want a unique gift for a friend or loved one, this is a great place to visit. I have sent these to nieces and nephews out of town and also to friends who needed to be cheered up. It is a lot of fun going through all the possible selections for you new friend and it is easy to sort through by price, item, etc. They almost always have free shipping coupons or other special deals, so be on the look out for those. There are also fun interactive games and stories for your kids to play with (or you if you are a kid at heart). I love the site, and it is a great way to shop if you can't get in store or if you store doesn't carry something you are looking for. Just be warned, it can get addictive!

Product Selection
There are a large variety of bears, but they also have a nice selection of other animals. And the clothing and accessories are endless! You can have your new friend cheer for your favorite team, participate in a sport, be a bride or a groom, etc. Lots of fun ideas.

Product Pricing
The bears themselves are very reasonably priced, but the clothing and accessories can really add up fast.