1.7

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:
    • I received a sample (22), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (4)

Sometimes Good Customer Service Trumps All

After you pay expensive prices to fly a family of four on vacation, the last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of dollars more on a rental car. Last year we had a bad experience, not getting the car we wanted, and not being informed of this until we were walking out to the lot with the keys, so we were trying to avoid this happening again. We tried finding good deals this year, but being Orlando, Florida during spring break, we were out of luck, as any coupons or deals were not valid during this time.The cheapest rates we found were at Budget Rental Car, and with what looked to be a good selection of cars, we went for it and booked. Also important to us is 24 hour service and on site location, both of which we would have at Budget. Once when our flight was delayed to being past midnight on a layover in Atlanta, we had to switch our reservations to a different rental company and didn't want this to happen again.Once we landed, picked up our luggage, and headed to the Budget counter, we were quite dismayed to find a very long line, as were the many people in line in front of us. We couldn't figure out why looking around to the other rental companies on site, that they didn't have nearly the lines Budget did. The last thing you want to do after a long flight is stand in line, making you feel like you've already hit the Disney attractions.Eventually we made it to the front of the line, after nearly an hour. We asked the clerk waiting on us why the Budget line was so long, and he told us that was going to happen when you had the cheapest prices. But still, why was the line moving so ultra slowly?This question was answered while the clerk helped us, as he not only explained all the details to us in full, he also offered us many options. My husband joked that if they had a Dodge Charger, he'd like that, and the clerk went to check, but came up empty. We were comfortable with our original reservation for a Ford Fusion, but the clerk told us as we asked for full insurance coverage that with full insurance coverage, we'd get a free upgrade. We could upgrade to either an SUV or Chrysler 300, and took the 300.The 300 was great, beautiful, roomy, and black. It definitely held all our luggage in the trunk and then some, and while like many rental cars, it's a stripped down model without a lot of amenities, there really isn't anything we were wishing it had.As and added bonus, the clerk even told us which gas station to avoid when we returned the car, since we had to refill the tank beforehand. He told us to go to any of them around the airport, but avoid a certain one, as we'd be paying over $4 a gallon there. Apparently they know you have to refill the thank, so plan on sticking you for every penny of that they can.The absolute only negative part of our car rental experience was the one hour wait in line, but being that the wait was to ensure everyone had great customer service and the same low price, it was hard to argue that the wait was a true negative.

Airport rates, and hidden fees

We recently went to Orlando Florida, and booked a budget rental car for the week.   There are a few things I learned about rental cars; which I'm sure most people who use them know, but I did not!  I thought I got a great deal at $36.99 per day.  We flew in, and were exhausted.  My hubby went to the counter alone, and the lady there told him initial here, here, here, and here, and sign here.  He did so!  (I know I know.....)  He assumed he was initialing  the rate for our car, but instead he was initialing an extra fee of $24.99 per day for damage insurance.  I am not speaking for ALL budget rental car locations.  I can only speak for the one we visited.  But they did not tell my husband what he was signing, nor did they offer him the insurance.  The lady there never even mentioned insurance....just told him to initial.  So be careful what you are initialling and signing!  Do not do so unless you have them explain everything in full detail!  We assumed our total would be around $185 for five days...plus tax and a gas fillup.  I did not know there was an additional fee for picking up the car at the airport.  I hear that all car rental companies do this.  That was around $25 as well.   My husband also initialed a fill up agreement; which is they fill up the tank and you pay for it; even if you don't use it all.  That was $66.87 rather than refill it for half the price before you return it.   Our grand total came to $364.97!  That's like a car payment!  I noticed this once we got to our hotel, and immediately tried to call budget at the airport.  No one picked up, and we were sent through to voicemail.  The box was full.  I was sent back to the counter, and no one picked up there.   I tried every day, and did not get through to an actual person the whole vacation.  I also tried to reach the managers voicemail....same thing occurred.  There was no other number on our agreement to call.

I did call customer service to find out why our total was so high, and the lady I spoke to said he signed it, so you must pay it...in full.  I told her the facts were not disclosed to him upon renting the car, and she did not care basicly.  I called back and talked to another gentleman, and he did give me some monies back.  He believed me when I said we were oblivious to all the extra fees.  I received half of the insurance and half of the gas fill up fees.  That at least made me feel as though I wasn't totally ripped off.  He even said if we chose, we could go to any budget rental spot, and they would launch an investigation regarding the insurance.  That they would examine the vehicle, and if no damage was found, we could probably get all monies back.  He also further went on to say the only place to get the gas option fees back were at the actual location; in Orlando.  Since he helped me enough, I didn't feel the need to push it any further.  (Than this review apparantly)

I do want to add this one little bit.  The lady who waited on us, got a commission for her sneakiness for the insurance.  So be careful if you get waited on by agent #56337 in Orlando Florida.

Lax Budget Rental Car

from Lax

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Do not rent I am closing my account I have been a member for years now I am going to find another rental source. Members of mangament refuse to help. Also, customer service members have nasty mouth with the sucking of there teeth when you are asking them simple questions

JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!

from Virginia Beach

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Horrible,if you want your vacation ruined then book them...they are happy to make you wait at the airport for hours,they do not care.One guy had a wedding to get to,they will not give you a reason for not having any cars available, screwed up our whole trip to Virginia Beach,had to take Uber to hotel after waiting for hours.They are completely useless!

Bad experience

from Mco orlando

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Had a bad experience with this company .Rented a car in orlando and asked if we had insurance and we did.thought everytjing was ok.wgen we returned the car when they gave us a receipt the price doubled. They said they charged us for there insurance.we called to fix the problem but they said it was to late and nothing they could do.please this is a warning .read your contract over before you leave.never rent from them again.

Awful Costumer Service

from Montréal

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

My boyfriend rent a car for me on the phone with them. The next day, my boyfriend told me to go to airport and that everything was prepare. So when I got there, everything was fine, i sign the paper and took the car.

That's where it's started. When my boyfriend saw the bill, he told me it was supose to be 250$ like they dealed on the phone, and the bill was 640$

I called 4 times in 4 days, and everyone I talked to were confused and didn't know what to say and told me to call again next day. Finaly after the fourth day, I talked with an employee and her supervisor. They were super rude with me (and I wasn't) and even if I had the name of the employe and the time we called, they didn't care, they didnt even want to listen to the audio to see that it was actually their fault.

So, they didnt care, we have to pay a bill who is the triple of what it was supose to and they didnt offert nothing, execpt being rude.

Never going to rent with them again.

NEVER RENT AT BUDGET ALL THERE LOCATIONS ARE SCAM

from LOS ANGELES

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

BUDGET RENTAL CAR IS A SCAM. ALL THERE LOCATIONS ARE FULL OF SCAM. I'VE BEEN SCAM TOO AT SEATTLE. I THINK IT'S THERE POLICY WITH AUTHORIZATION FROM MANAGEMENT. NEVER AGAIN. LAST RENT I HAVE IS WITH ALAMO RENTAL CAR. NO PROBLEMO AT ALL. WHAT YOU SIGN UP FOR IS WHAT YOU GET, NO ADDS-ON. BUDGET RENTAL SCAM NEVER AGAIN.

Agent at counter OBNOXIOUS!

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Agent at counter OBNOXIOUS! He had been trained to sell, sell, sell!!!! Budget's message: My experience with the rental car will not be good unless I buy upgrades.
I could not say no enough times. Push, push, push. I bought upgrades I did not need.
When I dropped off the car, I had to wait, wait, wait around 30 minutes. The staff to clean the car was also waiting for the agent to check-in the car. While waiting, I spent some time talking to another waiting customer. We agreed Budget is not a good rental company.
Summary: Next time I will rent from Avis, Hertz, etc. Cost will be the same, but the service will be better.
I rented at the Denver Airport.

Budget has no idea what customer service is

from Austin TX

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Poor customer service. The employees don't know how to work with actual humans as they spend their day being dictated to by a computer system. So sad that customer service is a thing of the past at Budget but I noticed it's a different story next door at Enterprise. Guess this is my last Budget rental.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Scamed without shame

from CT

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I rented a car from Budget for 10 days in Palm Beach, FL. The agent checking me in asked if i wanted the Damage waiver insurance. I asked how much it was. He replied $29.00. Considering that reasonable i accepted. When the car was returned I found a $460 charge for the insurance. It turns ot that the $29.00 was per day although sold to me as the total charge. Since i, like most, initialed the rental agreement without reading the small print, While technically my fault, like most i accepted the word of the agent without reading the agreement. Budget was totally unsympathetic to my cause and was so officious as to lead me to consider the miss direction was on purpose. STAY AWAY from Budget (and their affiliates Avis and Dollar) There are plenty of alternative options.

I will never rent from Budget again

from Minneapolis, mn

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I booked a Ford Focus for pickup at the Orlando Air for the New Year's weekend.
When I arrived, Janet, the desk agent, immediately informed me that I should get an upgrade for an extra fee because the Ford Focus would have no leg room. I said NO. Then she insisted that I needed to pre-purchase the full tank of fuel because Budget requires that I show a receipt of fuel purchase within 2 miles of the airport and the service stations near the airport were between $4 and $6 /gal. (There were several stations within 5 mi at $2.29/gal) I never buy gas within 10 miles of the airport, so I would not have to scramble at the last min looking for a gas station. I found this discussion time consuming and very unsettling. Then she insisted that my car insurance would not cover any damage to the car.
Eventually, we settle up and I go to pick up my car. I get to the D12 spot where my car was supposed to be and I see that this is not the Ford Focus I booked - it was a big SUV. It turns out that Janet has dyslexia and my car was in D21, not D12. She DID NOT courteously announce: "Oh, BTW I am giving you a KIA Seoul – this should give you the leg room you need." If she did mention it, it did not register that I should be looking this other car. After seeing no Focus, in D21, I looked for the plate number which was also INCORRECT on the contract
Of course, I look for my Ford Focus and after finding no Focus, I eventually get confused with the poorly marked location numbers and drive away with a car parked at the E21, only having to return the car because someone else had reserved that car. It was then that I learned that I was supposed to be looking for the KIA Seoul, which, BTW is a very nice commuter car with plenty leg room.
To make the matter really upsetting, I discover 2 days later that I left my $30 hat in the first car I sat in. Also, when I returned the car, the checkout agent did not ask me to show a gas receipt.

Never come back with budget car rental again , terrible !

from Los Angeles CA

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Terrible customer service , i have to paid more extra fee not show on your reservation , either you pay or you don't get your vehicle . finally i got vehicle but vehicle in unsafe driving condition the tires has only 20% life i brought my concern to them that i feel unsafe for my family long trip with the bad tires , they said well .... .I never come back again !

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand