1.7

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:
    • I received a sample (20), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (4)

Sometimes Good Customer Service Trumps All

After you pay expensive prices to fly a family of four on vacation, the last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of dollars more on a rental car. Last year we had a bad experience, not getting the car we wanted, and not being informed of this until we were walking out to the lot with the keys, so we were trying to avoid this happening again. We tried finding good deals this year, but being Orlando, Florida during spring break, we were out of luck, as any coupons or deals were not valid during this time.The cheapest rates we found were at Budget Rental Car, and with what looked to be a good selection of cars, we went for it and booked. Also important to us is 24 hour service and on site location, both of which we would have at Budget. Once when our flight was delayed to being past midnight on a layover in Atlanta, we had to switch our reservations to a different rental company and didn't want this to happen again.Once we landed, picked up our luggage, and headed to the Budget counter, we were quite dismayed to find a very long line, as were the many people in line in front of us. We couldn't figure out why looking around to the other rental companies on site, that they didn't have nearly the lines Budget did. The last thing you want to do after a long flight is stand in line, making you feel like you've already hit the Disney attractions.Eventually we made it to the front of the line, after nearly an hour. We asked the clerk waiting on us why the Budget line was so long, and he told us that was going to happen when you had the cheapest prices. But still, why was the line moving so ultra slowly?This question was answered while the clerk helped us, as he not only explained all the details to us in full, he also offered us many options. My husband joked that if they had a Dodge Charger, he'd like that, and the clerk went to check, but came up empty. We were comfortable with our original reservation for a Ford Fusion, but the clerk told us as we asked for full insurance coverage that with full insurance coverage, we'd get a free upgrade. We could upgrade to either an SUV or Chrysler 300, and took the 300.The 300 was great, beautiful, roomy, and black. It definitely held all our luggage in the trunk and then some, and while like many rental cars, it's a stripped down model without a lot of amenities, there really isn't anything we were wishing it had.As and added bonus, the clerk even told us which gas station to avoid when we returned the car, since we had to refill the tank beforehand. He told us to go to any of them around the airport, but avoid a certain one, as we'd be paying over $4 a gallon there. Apparently they know you have to refill the thank, so plan on sticking you for every penny of that they can.The absolute only negative part of our car rental experience was the one hour wait in line, but being that the wait was to ensure everyone had great customer service and the same low price, it was hard to argue that the wait was a true negative.

Airport rates, and hidden fees

We recently went to Orlando Florida, and booked a budget rental car for the week.   There are a few things I learned about rental cars; which I'm sure most people who use them know, but I did not!  I thought I got a great deal at $36.99 per day.  We flew in, and were exhausted.  My hubby went to the counter alone, and the lady there told him initial here, here, here, and here, and sign here.  He did so!  (I know I know.....)  He assumed he was initialing  the rate for our car, but instead he was initialing an extra fee of $24.99 per day for damage insurance.  I am not speaking for ALL budget rental car locations.  I can only speak for the one we visited.  But they did not tell my husband what he was signing, nor did they offer him the insurance.  The lady there never even mentioned insurance....just told him to initial.  So be careful what you are initialling and signing!  Do not do so unless you have them explain everything in full detail!  We assumed our total would be around $185 for five days...plus tax and a gas fillup.  I did not know there was an additional fee for picking up the car at the airport.  I hear that all car rental companies do this.  That was around $25 as well.   My husband also initialed a fill up agreement; which is they fill up the tank and you pay for it; even if you don't use it all.  That was $66.87 rather than refill it for half the price before you return it.   Our grand total came to $364.97!  That's like a car payment!  I noticed this once we got to our hotel, and immediately tried to call budget at the airport.  No one picked up, and we were sent through to voicemail.  The box was full.  I was sent back to the counter, and no one picked up there.   I tried every day, and did not get through to an actual person the whole vacation.  I also tried to reach the managers voicemail....same thing occurred.  There was no other number on our agreement to call.

I did call customer service to find out why our total was so high, and the lady I spoke to said he signed it, so you must pay it...in full.  I told her the facts were not disclosed to him upon renting the car, and she did not care basicly.  I called back and talked to another gentleman, and he did give me some monies back.  He believed me when I said we were oblivious to all the extra fees.  I received half of the insurance and half of the gas fill up fees.  That at least made me feel as though I wasn't totally ripped off.  He even said if we chose, we could go to any budget rental spot, and they would launch an investigation regarding the insurance.  That they would examine the vehicle, and if no damage was found, we could probably get all monies back.  He also further went on to say the only place to get the gas option fees back were at the actual location; in Orlando.  Since he helped me enough, I didn't feel the need to push it any further.  (Than this review apparantly)

I do want to add this one little bit.  The lady who waited on us, got a commission for her sneakiness for the insurance.  So be careful if you get waited on by agent #56337 in Orlando Florida.

Agent at counter OBNOXIOUS!

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Agent at counter OBNOXIOUS! He had been trained to sell, sell, sell!!!! Budget's message: My experience with the rental car will not be good unless I buy upgrades.
I could not say no enough times. Push, push, push. I bought upgrades I did not need.
When I dropped off the car, I had to wait, wait, wait around 30 minutes. The staff to clean the car was also waiting for the agent to check-in the car. While waiting, I spent some time talking to another waiting customer. We agreed Budget is not a good rental company.
Summary: Next time I will rent from Avis, Hertz, etc. Cost will be the same, but the service will be better.
I rented at the Denver Airport.

Budget has no idea what customer service is

from Austin TX

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Poor customer service. The employees don't know how to work with actual humans as they spend their day being dictated to by a computer system. So sad that customer service is a thing of the past at Budget but I noticed it's a different story next door at Enterprise. Guess this is my last Budget rental.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Scamed without shame

from CT

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I rented a car from Budget for 10 days in Palm Beach, FL. The agent checking me in asked if i wanted the Damage waiver insurance. I asked how much it was. He replied $29.00. Considering that reasonable i accepted. When the car was returned I found a $460 charge for the insurance. It turns ot that the $29.00 was per day although sold to me as the total charge. Since i, like most, initialed the rental agreement without reading the small print, While technically my fault, like most i accepted the word of the agent without reading the agreement. Budget was totally unsympathetic to my cause and was so officious as to lead me to consider the miss direction was on purpose. STAY AWAY from Budget (and their affiliates Avis and Dollar) There are plenty of alternative options.

I will never rent from Budget again

from Minneapolis, mn

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I booked a Ford Focus for pickup at the Orlando Air for the New Year's weekend.
When I arrived, Janet, the desk agent, immediately informed me that I should get an upgrade for an extra fee because the Ford Focus would have no leg room. I said NO. Then she insisted that I needed to pre-purchase the full tank of fuel because Budget requires that I show a receipt of fuel purchase within 2 miles of the airport and the service stations near the airport were between $4 and $6 /gal. (There were several stations within 5 mi at $2.29/gal) I never buy gas within 10 miles of the airport, so I would not have to scramble at the last min looking for a gas station. I found this discussion time consuming and very unsettling. Then she insisted that my car insurance would not cover any damage to the car.
Eventually, we settle up and I go to pick up my car. I get to the D12 spot where my car was supposed to be and I see that this is not the Ford Focus I booked - it was a big SUV. It turns out that Janet has dyslexia and my car was in D21, not D12. She DID NOT courteously announce: "Oh, BTW I am giving you a KIA Seoul – this should give you the leg room you need." If she did mention it, it did not register that I should be looking this other car. After seeing no Focus, in D21, I looked for the plate number which was also INCORRECT on the contract
Of course, I look for my Ford Focus and after finding no Focus, I eventually get confused with the poorly marked location numbers and drive away with a car parked at the E21, only having to return the car because someone else had reserved that car. It was then that I learned that I was supposed to be looking for the KIA Seoul, which, BTW is a very nice commuter car with plenty leg room.
To make the matter really upsetting, I discover 2 days later that I left my $30 hat in the first car I sat in. Also, when I returned the car, the checkout agent did not ask me to show a gas receipt.

Never come back with budget car rental again , terrible !

from Los Angeles CA

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Terrible customer service , i have to paid more extra fee not show on your reservation , either you pay or you don't get your vehicle . finally i got vehicle but vehicle in unsafe driving condition the tires has only 20% life i brought my concern to them that i feel unsafe for my family long trip with the bad tires , they said well .... .I never come back again !

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET/AVIS FRANKLIN, OHIO

from Trenton, Ohio

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I recently reserved a minivan from this Budget location on 11/24/16 for pick up on 12/9/15 at 8 a.m. Me, my mom, daughter, sister and my grandkids were making the drive to Nashville for my niece's wedding that my granddaughters were in. When I arrived at the location at 8 a.m. on 12/9/16 to pick up the mini van, I was told that they did not have one. I asked the gentleman at the counter why they didn't have it and he responded with a shrug. He asked me if I just reserved it the night before?? I said, "No, I reserved at least 10 days ago, on 11/24." I then said, "What am I supposed to do? I have to get my family to Nashville by 3:00 p.m." Mar, the attendant, proceeds to tell me, "Don't be getting no attitude. An attitude will get you no where here!" I ended up having to take a 15-passenger van because I HAD to have my family in Nashville by 3 p.m.; which I have NEVER driven one. The attendant then, with attitude takes me out to do the "walk around" on the bus/van that I would be driving. He told me to start it up, which i did, and I mentioned that the tire pressure light was on and without even checking he said, "It is supposed to be that way due to the cold weather." Half way through the trip I stopped at a truck stop and a total stranger checked the tires and said they had far less than HALF the air they should have in them and aired up the tires for me. Having to drive this van/bus made for an awful and stressful trip. It was very hard for my mother to enter and exit the van, which we had to do a lot. The seats were extremely uncomfortable for everyone and I was a nervous wreck every time I had to park the van or back up, and basically stressed everytime I had to drive it. When We finally got to Nashville I called the Budget district manager and all he said was, "I'm sorry we were not able to locate a minivan for you." Really??? I reserved it 2 weeks earlier. Someone just DID NOT do their job.

Unauthorized additional insurance coverage

from Las Vegas, Nevada

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Rented from the Las Vegas location at McCarran Airport. Upon returning the vehicle, I was told there was a balance for $176 and change. When I questioned the charge, I was told it was for the optional insurance. I explained I declined the additional insurance and was told I would need to contact customer service. Upon contacting customer service, I was told they could not help me because this location was a franchise and not part of Budget.Com corporate rental. I was provided with the number of the franchise at which I could only leave a voice mail. I have repeatedly disputed this charge and Budget went so far as to lie and say they had a video with audio confirming I requested the insurance. When I asked them to provide a copy or said video or let me listen to the audio I was told that was not an option. It wasn't an option because they knew it was bull. They didn't have anything confirming that I requested the insurance. Stay away from Budget Rental cars. If you happen to rent from a franchise location, you are at the mercy of the franchise. I strongly suggest a large corporate rental agency which respectable customer support.

Don't Believe what they tell you at the counter

from mississippi

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I upgraded my car at the counter and agreed on a price, when they billed me they charged me over $50.00 per day more and refuse to do anything about it. I will never rent from Budget again.Have been renting from them for 10+ years, So much for customer loyalty.

Do Not Rent from Budget Rent a Car

from Denver International Airport

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

This company uses SCAM tactics, DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET!!!! If I could give Budget Rent a Car a negative star rating it would be a -5. Rented a car at Denver International Airport and they "upgraded" our car for free. HOWEVER, when we returned the vehicle they charged us an extra $30 a day on top of our original quote!! In the fine print on page 4 of the contract they have a clause that they reserve the right to charge you for all upgrades. DO NOT listen to the representative when you check in. They will lie to your face that they will not charge you extra for upgrades! Read your contracts and ask them to show you in the contract where they will up charge you. DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET! I WILL NEVER AGAIN!

Dont trust them

from Townsville Australia

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Hired a car from Washington DC and got well and truely ripped off. This mob hide charges and smile while they rip every cent off you. Got a $370 charge on my credit card after I paid top dollar. Never again Budget