1.7

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Sometimes Good Customer Service Trumps All

After you pay expensive prices to fly a family of four on vacation, the last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of dollars more on a rental car. Last year we had a bad experience, not getting the car we wanted, and not being informed of this until we were walking out to the lot with the keys, so we were trying to avoid this happening again. We tried finding good deals this year, but being Orlando, Florida during spring break, we were out of luck, as any coupons or deals were not valid during this time.The cheapest rates we found were at Budget Rental Car, and with what looked to be a good selection of cars, we went for it and booked. Also important to us is 24 hour service and on site location, both of which we would have at Budget. Once when our flight was delayed to being past midnight on a layover in Atlanta, we had to switch our reservations to a different rental company and didn't want this to happen again.Once we landed, picked up our luggage, and headed to the Budget counter, we were quite dismayed to find a very long line, as were the many people in line in front of us. We couldn't figure out why looking around to the other rental companies on site, that they didn't have nearly the lines Budget did. The last thing you want to do after a long flight is stand in line, making you feel like you've already hit the Disney attractions.Eventually we made it to the front of the line, after nearly an hour. We asked the clerk waiting on us why the Budget line was so long, and he told us that was going to happen when you had the cheapest prices. But still, why was the line moving so ultra slowly?This question was answered while the clerk helped us, as he not only explained all the details to us in full, he also offered us many options. My husband joked that if they had a Dodge Charger, he'd like that, and the clerk went to check, but came up empty. We were comfortable with our original reservation for a Ford Fusion, but the clerk told us as we asked for full insurance coverage that with full insurance coverage, we'd get a free upgrade. We could upgrade to either an SUV or Chrysler 300, and took the 300.The 300 was great, beautiful, roomy, and black. It definitely held all our luggage in the trunk and then some, and while like many rental cars, it's a stripped down model without a lot of amenities, there really isn't anything we were wishing it had.As and added bonus, the clerk even told us which gas station to avoid when we returned the car, since we had to refill the tank beforehand. He told us to go to any of them around the airport, but avoid a certain one, as we'd be paying over $4 a gallon there. Apparently they know you have to refill the thank, so plan on sticking you for every penny of that they can.The absolute only negative part of our car rental experience was the one hour wait in line, but being that the wait was to ensure everyone had great customer service and the same low price, it was hard to argue that the wait was a true negative.

Airport rates, and hidden fees

We recently went to Orlando Florida, and booked a budget rental car for the week.   There are a few things I learned about rental cars; which I'm sure most people who use them know, but I did not!  I thought I got a great deal at $36.99 per day.  We flew in, and were exhausted.  My hubby went to the counter alone, and the lady there told him initial here, here, here, and here, and sign here.  He did so!  (I know I know.....)  He assumed he was initialing  the rate for our car, but instead he was initialing an extra fee of $24.99 per day for damage insurance.  I am not speaking for ALL budget rental car locations.  I can only speak for the one we visited.  But they did not tell my husband what he was signing, nor did they offer him the insurance.  The lady there never even mentioned insurance....just told him to initial.  So be careful what you are initialling and signing!  Do not do so unless you have them explain everything in full detail!  We assumed our total would be around $185 for five days...plus tax and a gas fillup.  I did not know there was an additional fee for picking up the car at the airport.  I hear that all car rental companies do this.  That was around $25 as well.   My husband also initialed a fill up agreement; which is they fill up the tank and you pay for it; even if you don't use it all.  That was $66.87 rather than refill it for half the price before you return it.   Our grand total came to $364.97!  That's like a car payment!  I noticed this once we got to our hotel, and immediately tried to call budget at the airport.  No one picked up, and we were sent through to voicemail.  The box was full.  I was sent back to the counter, and no one picked up there.   I tried every day, and did not get through to an actual person the whole vacation.  I also tried to reach the managers voicemail....same thing occurred.  There was no other number on our agreement to call.

I did call customer service to find out why our total was so high, and the lady I spoke to said he signed it, so you must pay it...in full.  I told her the facts were not disclosed to him upon renting the car, and she did not care basicly.  I called back and talked to another gentleman, and he did give me some monies back.  He believed me when I said we were oblivious to all the extra fees.  I received half of the insurance and half of the gas fill up fees.  That at least made me feel as though I wasn't totally ripped off.  He even said if we chose, we could go to any budget rental spot, and they would launch an investigation regarding the insurance.  That they would examine the vehicle, and if no damage was found, we could probably get all monies back.  He also further went on to say the only place to get the gas option fees back were at the actual location; in Orlando.  Since he helped me enough, I didn't feel the need to push it any further.  (Than this review apparantly)

I do want to add this one little bit.  The lady who waited on us, got a commission for her sneakiness for the insurance.  So be careful if you get waited on by agent #56337 in Orlando Florida.

ATL Airport Car Rental

from ATL AIRPORT

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Even though I used a major credit card, Budget put a hold of 96 dollars on my rental car plus price of rental . The agent never discussed with me the extra hold nor did she have me sign off on paperwork reviewing hold charge. This budget is independently owned and operated not connected to corporate. On a good note Jackie the manager did her best to resolve issue and I am satisfied with that.

Terrible road side assistance

from Shawnee, OK

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I'm writing this review 18 hrs into being stuck in a Motel 6 in Oklahoma. We rented a moving truck and a trailer to car our car as my family moves across the country. One of the tires on the trailer blew out on the highway, ruining the axle. Budget would have been content to leave us not the side of the highway, we managed to drive safely to the next town and rent a motel room. Budget has been unhelpful the entire time, dragging out the process of replacing the trailer and showing a complete lack of internal consistency and communication, as well as an inability to find a trailer, which you can find easily through their website when you try to rent one.

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER....

from KISSIMME FL

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I rented a car from budget for a week and had an issue with the rental after having it for a few days. When I called budget so they can assist me I was on the phone being transferred back and fourth for 2 hrs and not even a supervisor wanted to get on the phone noone wanted to hear my issues nor showed any type of concerns....I WOULD NEVER RENT AGAIN FROM BUDGET!!!! CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!!!!

Terrible experience

from Clarksville, In

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Can't trust them. Do not rent from them. Very crooked.
Luis and Carl were very rude when I called the 800 #. We had 2 terrible experiences with Budget car rental. Mychal and Alyssa at the pickup place were not friendly and gave the impression they were wanting to make a quick buck. Horrible customer service. Long wait times on the 800 phone# and inconsistent in price quotes. We paid almost $100 more than was quoted when we called the 800# them when we went to pick the car up. Misinformation from one rep to the other. Claimed they could not locate ( the only nice one) the rep I had talked to twice.

Budget car rent is the worst

from Minneapolis,MN

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Renting a car with Budget car rental is the most horrible experience that u have ever had in my life!!!! They are liars and trying to trick my dad to pay more than 309$ more than he should have. I made a reservation online for him and prepaid everything. The counter girl forced him to "upgrade" the car that we have chosen. My dad can't speak English that well and she just keep talking to him and not letting him rent the car that I reserved for him. Finally he got frustrated and agree to upgrade! I was at work so I couldn't accompany him to the pick up. Budget customer service are the worst, they knew that my dad can't do much and they basically forced him to pay more!
Besides that, while I was making the reservation, their attitude was horrible as well.
I hate this experience.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Vowed to never rent from them again, no matter how cheap

from Porland, OR

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

In a two week period of time during April 12, 2016 and May 3, 2016, my family rented 3 cars from Budget in Denver CO, San Antonio TX, and Harlingen TX. EACH location charged us more the the reservation amount with no explanation. In Denver we did get the amount adjusted before we left the counter. However I am fighting with Budget involving and overcharge of $47 in Harlingen and $33 in San Antonio. I travel and rent cars every other month for the past 10 years and only once had a discrepancy in a reservation amount and the actual charge. However, prior to this 2 week period, I only used Budget twice during those 10 years. My time in trying to argue, forward and sit on hold on the phone is worth a lot more to me than the money I saved using Budget. We will not rent from them again. I have filed a complaint on the two Texas locations with Budget Corporate offices, but who knows what impact that will have.

Not satisfied

from Dallas

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Never again. Is there a car rental company out there who will give you straight forward honest pricing?

Worst in New Smyna, Fl!!!!

from New Smyrna fl

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

The worst customer service. Was charged for a "no show" which is inaccurate. We went to pick up the vehicle and was told they did not have the truck that we reserved. Derrick (the employee) tried rushing us to make a decision to get a larger truck that they did have. No real resolution was offered like finding the size truck that we reserved 2 months in advance. He was too busy for us because someone else came in to drop off their rental. He tried to avoid our issue all together. And Derrick if you get a chance to read this, I would like to say you are an inadequate fool and it was so nice having you get an attitude, and hang up on me when I tried to resolve yet another issue. Now we have to go through all this red tape to resolve the "no show" $50 charge because he was mad that we didn't use the larger truck that we didn't need and uses more fuel and would cost more for insuring. I'm glad I recorded you now on phone and at the facility.

AWFUL!!!!

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

This company was HORRIBLE to work with! My sister and I rented a car while taking a trip to Dallas Texas. Not only did they not have a car for us when we arrived at DFW Airport, even though we had a reservation, but they made us wait at the counter for 1 hour! After securing a rental, they gave us the biggest problem with the card we were going to use to pay for the car! For future reference, make sure the card is a major and well known credit card. In the middle of our trip, we needed assistance with the car, and the company kept giving us the runaround. They did not want to speak with us. Just a suggestion, but get the managers phone number so you can speak with him directly. When we returned the car, we had it EXACTLY like it should be. Clean, Full tank of gas, everything was perfect. The person who checked our car in charged us $167 more than she should have because they said that the tank was not full. IT WAS! We even gave her the receipt to the gas purchase. STAY AWAY FROM BUDGET,

Do not rent a car from Budget

from Orlando, Florida

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I recently made a reservation for a car rental from Budget. I received a email confirmation advising me to pickup the car at 4 pm. I arrived at the designated hotel by 4pm but the rental agent had already left. I call customer service but the only thing they could do was tell me to go to the airport location to pickup a car. That's an hour away from my destination! They had no concern for the fact that I was stranded and they could offer no other solutions. No worries Hertz came to the rescue. Use them for your car rental needs...they are great and cheaper.