1.7

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:
    • I received a sample (22), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (7)

Sometimes Good Customer Service Trumps All

After you pay expensive prices to fly a family of four on vacation, the last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of dollars more on a rental car. Last year we had a bad experience, not getting the car we wanted, and not being informed of this until we were walking out to the lot with the keys, so we were trying to avoid this happening again. We tried finding good deals this year, but being Orlando, Florida during spring break, we were out of luck, as any coupons or deals were not valid during this time.The cheapest rates we found were at Budget Rental Car, and with what looked to be a good selection of cars, we went for it and booked. Also important to us is 24 hour service and on site location, both of which we would have at Budget. Once when our flight was delayed to being past midnight on a layover in Atlanta, we had to switch our reservations to a different rental company and didn't want this to happen again.Once we landed, picked up our luggage, and headed to the Budget counter, we were quite dismayed to find a very long line, as were the many people in line in front of us. We couldn't figure out why looking around to the other rental companies on site, that they didn't have nearly the lines Budget did. The last thing you want to do after a long flight is stand in line, making you feel like you've already hit the Disney attractions.Eventually we made it to the front of the line, after nearly an hour. We asked the clerk waiting on us why the Budget line was so long, and he told us that was going to happen when you had the cheapest prices. But still, why was the line moving so ultra slowly?This question was answered while the clerk helped us, as he not only explained all the details to us in full, he also offered us many options. My husband joked that if they had a Dodge Charger, he'd like that, and the clerk went to check, but came up empty. We were comfortable with our original reservation for a Ford Fusion, but the clerk told us as we asked for full insurance coverage that with full insurance coverage, we'd get a free upgrade. We could upgrade to either an SUV or Chrysler 300, and took the 300.The 300 was great, beautiful, roomy, and black. It definitely held all our luggage in the trunk and then some, and while like many rental cars, it's a stripped down model without a lot of amenities, there really isn't anything we were wishing it had.As and added bonus, the clerk even told us which gas station to avoid when we returned the car, since we had to refill the tank beforehand. He told us to go to any of them around the airport, but avoid a certain one, as we'd be paying over $4 a gallon there. Apparently they know you have to refill the thank, so plan on sticking you for every penny of that they can.The absolute only negative part of our car rental experience was the one hour wait in line, but being that the wait was to ensure everyone had great customer service and the same low price, it was hard to argue that the wait was a true negative.

Airport rates, and hidden fees

We recently went to Orlando Florida, and booked a budget rental car for the week.   There are a few things I learned about rental cars; which I'm sure most people who use them know, but I did not!  I thought I got a great deal at $36.99 per day.  We flew in, and were exhausted.  My hubby went to the counter alone, and the lady there told him initial here, here, here, and here, and sign here.  He did so!  (I know I know.....)  He assumed he was initialing  the rate for our car, but instead he was initialing an extra fee of $24.99 per day for damage insurance.  I am not speaking for ALL budget rental car locations.  I can only speak for the one we visited.  But they did not tell my husband what he was signing, nor did they offer him the insurance.  The lady there never even mentioned insurance....just told him to initial.  So be careful what you are initialling and signing!  Do not do so unless you have them explain everything in full detail!  We assumed our total would be around $185 for five days...plus tax and a gas fillup.  I did not know there was an additional fee for picking up the car at the airport.  I hear that all car rental companies do this.  That was around $25 as well.   My husband also initialed a fill up agreement; which is they fill up the tank and you pay for it; even if you don't use it all.  That was $66.87 rather than refill it for half the price before you return it.   Our grand total came to $364.97!  That's like a car payment!  I noticed this once we got to our hotel, and immediately tried to call budget at the airport.  No one picked up, and we were sent through to voicemail.  The box was full.  I was sent back to the counter, and no one picked up there.   I tried every day, and did not get through to an actual person the whole vacation.  I also tried to reach the managers voicemail....same thing occurred.  There was no other number on our agreement to call.

I did call customer service to find out why our total was so high, and the lady I spoke to said he signed it, so you must pay it...in full.  I told her the facts were not disclosed to him upon renting the car, and she did not care basicly.  I called back and talked to another gentleman, and he did give me some monies back.  He believed me when I said we were oblivious to all the extra fees.  I received half of the insurance and half of the gas fill up fees.  That at least made me feel as though I wasn't totally ripped off.  He even said if we chose, we could go to any budget rental spot, and they would launch an investigation regarding the insurance.  That they would examine the vehicle, and if no damage was found, we could probably get all monies back.  He also further went on to say the only place to get the gas option fees back were at the actual location; in Orlando.  Since he helped me enough, I didn't feel the need to push it any further.  (Than this review apparantly)

I do want to add this one little bit.  The lady who waited on us, got a commission for her sneakiness for the insurance.  So be careful if you get waited on by agent #56337 in Orlando Florida.

Stay away from this company

from Tucson

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Reaching a live person in America is a joke! I get passed around and given numbers that just bring me back to another person who is clueless. I dropped my car off in your secure underground car rental garage having to go thru security. I put the keys in the metal drop box. 11 days later you are still demanding I return the car or it is stolen! I call loss prevention and get a voice mail repeatedly! I will never ever rent from Budget again! I will share this ridiculous story with everyone I know. I am so disgusted and frustrated and done. I can't believe this is where Budget has ended up! Again the car is where you told me to park it! There are cameras everywhere or are those outsourced too?

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

SAVE WITH BUDGET! Not reality!

from La Guardia NYC

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Terrible service at La Guardia. Given a Filthy car that was splashed with mud on all sides, had not been washed or vacuumed, and had horrible cigarette smoke interior smell. Given a second car after waiting in long line for a second time. In all took me 90 minutes to get out of Budget at pick up. Thought that was a fluke, but in return same consistently Long lines with insufficient staff. In the lot clueless staff at pick up and delivery. In all consistently unhappy staff. But that is not all. Unheard of Scalping overcharges on a two day extended stay. In effect they nullified the original contract and rate, re rated at highest possible rate. This is a Gross abuse of customer. Then Poor customer services and aggressive stance at La Guardia. Charged well over $250 more than what the contracted weekly rate was for a 6 day period because I extended the 4 day rental to 6 days. This doubled my contracted rate. These are Truly abusive unethical practices. No other company I have rented with has such poor service, great disregard for the customer, and such blatant unethical practices with overcharges and fees. Indeed a terrible experience. By the way second car at La Guardia was also Filthy, just less than first and with a much more subdue smoke smell.

Please avoid if you value your time

from Maui, hi

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

18 service stations and you are manning 4 of them?

Seriously wish I had read the reviews of this place before booking on cheap tickets. Had I not booked through a third party website that is non-refunable I would have cancelled my reservation and walked over to one of the other rental services next door. I'm writing this review as I stand waiting in line like I've read in 90% of the reviews for this location. 18 service stations at the counter. They are manning 4.

There are 30 people in front of me standing in line. That's just those in front of me inside. I had been waiting outside for 50minutes at this point. When I first arrived at the location the employee at the door handed me a number and asked me to wait outside. Foolish me to assume that when they called my number I would be getting helped soon. No that was not to be. That was simply to have the privilege of waiting inside and so I wait. Good news now there are only 27 people in front of me now!

Looks like this should only take another 50minutes or more! Plenty of time to find more sights to post copies of this review to warn others. Thanks Budget! Giving me all sorts of time to write reviews. Most companies don't employ such a bold marketing strategy to give their customers so much time they feel obligated to write something about them.

Great Car - Poor Service

from Orlando International Airport

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Booked and paid for a hire car around 10 months in advance of my holiday, arrived at Orlando International Airport Budget desk to be greeted by a queue 5 rows deep and only 2 staff on duty! Assumed these must be people trying to hire a car who hadn't booked in advance as surely a company that has taken bookings is organised and has cars ready and available for those people who have booked and paid? Nope, this queue was for all of us who had booked and paid well in advance of arriving in Florida. We had no option after 13 hours of travelling, than to stand in a queue that took 3.5 hours for us to reach the desk! I kid you not! The staff alternated between 3 at most to 1 at times, they barely looked up let alone acknowledged the person standing in front of them. No other car hire desk had a queue of any kind. As we neared the front of the queue, and by front, I mean the last 20 people waiting, there were people now complaining that not only had they waited for hours but when they reached the desk they did not have cars big enough to accommodate their party. These people were given various van style cars much to their dismay. When we finally reached the desk to collect our vehicle we were told they did have a 7 seater that we had ordered, but it was being cleaned and was in another area so, even though we completed the paperwork we were sent to wait to one side for another 20-30 mins. During this long wait we had to stand the whole time, there was no seating available and not one drink was offered, or apology of any kind as to why we had to wait. This is an absolutely appalling service, to travel for 13 hours and then have to stand in a queue for 3.5 hours for something you already organised and pay for is just not acceptable. I think we learnt a big lesson that day, the name may be well known, they may offer a good price, but, when it all comes down to it, the service is what really matters! Needless to say I wont be renting a Budget car again! Anywhere!

LIERS

from san juan puerto rico

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I rented a car in San Juan Puerto Rico for my dad's funeral and I declined the insurance but on the screen I told the lady it said that I accepted and I don't want it she said I know once you sign it it will be removed so I got the car and went on my way . Well as I was on my way I looked and the agreement and called right away but I was told I would have to come back and cancel contract because I already signed for it. I was two hours away and my dad had just died I couldn't go back, I complained when I dropped off the car and I also called and I was told I would get a refund but as of today no refund was given. I will never use budget again .

WOW!What a mess! No Way Never again ! Buyer Beware

from Winnebago, Illinois

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I am being charged for a tire at the tune of near $500.00 for a tire that was deflating as it was driven off the Denver car lot and returned to Budget thirty-four miles later because the tire was losing pressure. We ( daughter, granddaughter, and myself) arrived in Denver airport around 4 o'clock on Saturday, July 22. Budget did not have our reserved car asked if we would upgrade to another for $5.00 a day. We agreed. It took a while to find us a car as Priority or Preferred Budget was taking the cars as fast as they came in . The Budget clerk said one had just come in they would wash it and send it out. This was our mistake, We should have never taken a car that just was returned. Car was still wet from washing . The gauge on dash indicated that tire pressure was 36 i felt this was ok how ever as we proceeded onto highway going towards Denver pressure dropped to 33. We drove car to Hotel in Denver parked car. Next morning(July 23) my daughter and I both felt we needed to return the car as we could not rely on it.. Budget was called by 8 AM and informed of the problem and told us where the closest Budget facility was located we went there and exchanged vehicles. The rest is history within a week we were notified that we would be billed for the tire to the tune of around $500.00. And that the tire had a nail in it. I realize now that the normal tire pressure is not 36 and that the tire was leaking as we left the Budget Rental facility. I have contacted Budget and talked to about 7 different people , no satisfaction with the tire.Make sure to check car before taking off lot and check what you are signing! And No I will never use Budget Rental Cars Again! Buyer Beware! Linda Hamlett

The worst

from Parker, CO

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I rented a car from Budget on our family vacation. I was promised a Mustang and was given a Toyota that was a piece of garbage. It was uncomfortable, dirty and even ruined some clothing from something that was spilt or poured on the passenger seat. The customer service when we picked op the car was just horrible, she was unpleasant and not helpful at all. When the car was returned to the airport the man that met us in the garage and checked in the car was rude and couldn't even care less what I had to say. The woman I spoke to at the ticket counter finally looked like she cared and provided me paperwork to file a claim.

Vacation time wasted

from Cleveland, Ohio

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

They rented us a car with a defective tire then would not help us...here is my email that I sent after wasting 3 hours trying to get them to give is a car that does not have a flat or at least fix the flat. At this time, we still do not have a solution and I cannot drive the car...I am so disappointed and will let everyone know how horrible it is to rent from Budget. We rented a car yesterday from Budget at the Cleveland airport. By the evening the back side tire was almost flat. So, this morning I called that my tire had a slow leak and was very low. They sent roadside assistance to put on the spare...as the guy was leaving he instructed me not to go over 40 miles an hour. That will not work on the highway...so not a good solution. When we called back and asked they bring us another car...we we're told we would have to pay for towing. Is this good customer service? No! Absolutely not...you rented us a defective car and now it is our issue and burden and your company is doing nothing to rectify this...absolutely terrible. And we are on vacation.

Lax Budget Rental Car

from Lax

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Do not rent I am closing my account I have been a member for years now I am going to find another rental source. Members of mangament refuse to help. Also, customer service members have nasty mouth with the sucking of there teeth when you are asking them simple questions

JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!

from Virginia Beach

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Horrible,if you want your vacation ruined then book them...they are happy to make you wait at the airport for hours,they do not care.One guy had a wedding to get to,they will not give you a reason for not having any cars available, screwed up our whole trip to Virginia Beach,had to take Uber to hotel after waiting for hours.They are completely useless!