1.7

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Sometimes Good Customer Service Trumps All

After you pay expensive prices to fly a family of four on vacation, the last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of dollars more on a rental car. Last year we had a bad experience, not getting the car we wanted, and not being informed of this until we were walking out to the lot with the keys, so we were trying to avoid this happening again. We tried finding good deals this year, but being Orlando, Florida during spring break, we were out of luck, as any coupons or deals were not valid during this time.The cheapest rates we found were at Budget Rental Car, and with what looked to be a good selection of cars, we went for it and booked. Also important to us is 24 hour service and on site location, both of which we would have at Budget. Once when our flight was delayed to being past midnight on a layover in Atlanta, we had to switch our reservations to a different rental company and didn't want this to happen again.Once we landed, picked up our luggage, and headed to the Budget counter, we were quite dismayed to find a very long line, as were the many people in line in front of us. We couldn't figure out why looking around to the other rental companies on site, that they didn't have nearly the lines Budget did. The last thing you want to do after a long flight is stand in line, making you feel like you've already hit the Disney attractions.Eventually we made it to the front of the line, after nearly an hour. We asked the clerk waiting on us why the Budget line was so long, and he told us that was going to happen when you had the cheapest prices. But still, why was the line moving so ultra slowly?This question was answered while the clerk helped us, as he not only explained all the details to us in full, he also offered us many options. My husband joked that if they had a Dodge Charger, he'd like that, and the clerk went to check, but came up empty. We were comfortable with our original reservation for a Ford Fusion, but the clerk told us as we asked for full insurance coverage that with full insurance coverage, we'd get a free upgrade. We could upgrade to either an SUV or Chrysler 300, and took the 300.The 300 was great, beautiful, roomy, and black. It definitely held all our luggage in the trunk and then some, and while like many rental cars, it's a stripped down model without a lot of amenities, there really isn't anything we were wishing it had.As and added bonus, the clerk even told us which gas station to avoid when we returned the car, since we had to refill the tank beforehand. He told us to go to any of them around the airport, but avoid a certain one, as we'd be paying over $4 a gallon there. Apparently they know you have to refill the thank, so plan on sticking you for every penny of that they can.The absolute only negative part of our car rental experience was the one hour wait in line, but being that the wait was to ensure everyone had great customer service and the same low price, it was hard to argue that the wait was a true negative.

Airport rates, and hidden fees

We recently went to Orlando Florida, and booked a budget rental car for the week.   There are a few things I learned about rental cars; which I'm sure most people who use them know, but I did not!  I thought I got a great deal at $36.99 per day.  We flew in, and were exhausted.  My hubby went to the counter alone, and the lady there told him initial here, here, here, and here, and sign here.  He did so!  (I know I know.....)  He assumed he was initialing  the rate for our car, but instead he was initialing an extra fee of $24.99 per day for damage insurance.  I am not speaking for ALL budget rental car locations.  I can only speak for the one we visited.  But they did not tell my husband what he was signing, nor did they offer him the insurance.  The lady there never even mentioned insurance....just told him to initial.  So be careful what you are initialling and signing!  Do not do so unless you have them explain everything in full detail!  We assumed our total would be around $185 for five days...plus tax and a gas fillup.  I did not know there was an additional fee for picking up the car at the airport.  I hear that all car rental companies do this.  That was around $25 as well.   My husband also initialed a fill up agreement; which is they fill up the tank and you pay for it; even if you don't use it all.  That was $66.87 rather than refill it for half the price before you return it.   Our grand total came to $364.97!  That's like a car payment!  I noticed this once we got to our hotel, and immediately tried to call budget at the airport.  No one picked up, and we were sent through to voicemail.  The box was full.  I was sent back to the counter, and no one picked up there.   I tried every day, and did not get through to an actual person the whole vacation.  I also tried to reach the managers voicemail....same thing occurred.  There was no other number on our agreement to call.

I did call customer service to find out why our total was so high, and the lady I spoke to said he signed it, so you must pay it...in full.  I told her the facts were not disclosed to him upon renting the car, and she did not care basicly.  I called back and talked to another gentleman, and he did give me some monies back.  He believed me when I said we were oblivious to all the extra fees.  I received half of the insurance and half of the gas fill up fees.  That at least made me feel as though I wasn't totally ripped off.  He even said if we chose, we could go to any budget rental spot, and they would launch an investigation regarding the insurance.  That they would examine the vehicle, and if no damage was found, we could probably get all monies back.  He also further went on to say the only place to get the gas option fees back were at the actual location; in Orlando.  Since he helped me enough, I didn't feel the need to push it any further.  (Than this review apparantly)

I do want to add this one little bit.  The lady who waited on us, got a commission for her sneakiness for the insurance.  So be careful if you get waited on by agent #56337 in Orlando Florida.

Don't Believe what they tell you at the counter

from mississippi

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I upgraded my car at the counter and agreed on a price, when they billed me they charged me over $50.00 per day more and refuse to do anything about it. I will never rent from Budget again.Have been renting from them for 10+ years, So much for customer loyalty.

Do Not Rent from Budget Rent a Car

from Denver International Airport

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

This company uses SCAM tactics, DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET!!!! If I could give Budget Rent a Car a negative star rating it would be a -5. Rented a car at Denver International Airport and they "upgraded" our car for free. HOWEVER, when we returned the vehicle they charged us an extra $30 a day on top of our original quote!! In the fine print on page 4 of the contract they have a clause that they reserve the right to charge you for all upgrades. DO NOT listen to the representative when you check in. They will lie to your face that they will not charge you extra for upgrades! Read your contracts and ask them to show you in the contract where they will up charge you. DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET! I WILL NEVER AGAIN!

Dont trust them

from Townsville Australia

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Hired a car from Washington DC and got well and truely ripped off. This mob hide charges and smile while they rip every cent off you. Got a $370 charge on my credit card after I paid top dollar. Never again Budget

DO NOT USE BUDGET

from LV, NV

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Due to a very poor experience with Budget, this will be my families first and last time using Budget. After arriving in Denver and taken by a shuttle to the Budget location, the line was outside and wrapped around the building. It took an hour to get to the counter and the agent quickly told you to sign here on the iPad. We specifically stated we did not want any additional options such as the insurance and certainly did not want to "upgrade" for "only $10.00 additional a day". We signed the "waiver" for the additional insurance but didn't realize until we turned the car in that the waiver is actually "agreeing" to the loss damage waiver at 29.99 a day! My total bill came to 255.77 for not a full 3 days. The rental was only 75.00 so the "waiver" cost more than the car did. I'm mad at myself for not looking at the paperwork immediately that day but I was already frustrated after being in line for an hour and eager to meet up with my family. I trusted the agent when he told me where to initial and stated you are signing the waiver, believing that declining the additional insurance. We tried to get the issue resolved when we turned the car in with no luck. We contacted the company and after speaking to 3 different people the best they would do is knock off half of the "waiver". This company has no commitment to their customers and I will be sure to let every person I know as well as social media of this very poor experience and highly recommend they use another rental company.

Not happy

from Syrqcuse, ny

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I booked my rental 3 weeks early with my credit card to give us more room to drive to NJ for my wedding. The man working the counter was very friendly until he started trying the upsell. After explaining i booked what i wanted he wasn't satisfied and continued to give me quotes for larger more expensive vehicles. I finally walked out.

Beware and do not rent from this company.

from Apache Junction, AZ

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Beware and do not rent from this company. These sleazebags are trying to charge me $272 for a bald tire that blew out. Roadside service said this and one other tire was disintegrating and unsafe to drive on.

Budget is actually holding me responsible for this wear and tear item caused by their irresponsible maintenance of the vehicle. They expect me to pay for an existing item that occurred over thousands of miles which I did not cause.

My bank is reversing the charges and said Budget has no right to charge me. Budget states they will continue to aggressively pursue collection on it.

ATL Airport Car Rental

from ATL AIRPORT

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Even though I used a major credit card, Budget put a hold of 96 dollars on my rental car plus price of rental . The agent never discussed with me the extra hold nor did she have me sign off on paperwork reviewing hold charge. This budget is independently owned and operated not connected to corporate. On a good note Jackie the manager did her best to resolve issue and I am satisfied with that.

Terrible road side assistance

from Shawnee, OK

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I'm writing this review 18 hrs into being stuck in a Motel 6 in Oklahoma. We rented a moving truck and a trailer to car our car as my family moves across the country. One of the tires on the trailer blew out on the highway, ruining the axle. Budget would have been content to leave us not the side of the highway, we managed to drive safely to the next town and rent a motel room. Budget has been unhelpful the entire time, dragging out the process of replacing the trailer and showing a complete lack of internal consistency and communication, as well as an inability to find a trailer, which you can find easily through their website when you try to rent one.

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER....

from KISSIMME FL

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

I rented a car from budget for a week and had an issue with the rental after having it for a few days. When I called budget so they can assist me I was on the phone being transferred back and fourth for 2 hrs and not even a supervisor wanted to get on the phone noone wanted to hear my issues nor showed any type of concerns....I WOULD NEVER RENT AGAIN FROM BUDGET!!!! CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!!!!

Terrible experience

from Clarksville, In

Comments about Budget Car Rental:

Can't trust them. Do not rent from them. Very crooked.
Luis and Carl were very rude when I called the 800 #. We had 2 terrible experiences with Budget car rental. Mychal and Alyssa at the pickup place were not friendly and gave the impression they were wanting to make a quick buck. Horrible customer service. Long wait times on the 800 phone# and inconsistent in price quotes. We paid almost $100 more than was quoted when we called the 800# them when we went to pick the car up. Misinformation from one rep to the other. Claimed they could not locate ( the only nice one) the rep I had talked to twice.