Other Sewing Machines:

Brother Serger

Pros

Cons

I would never trade my Brother Serger

Due to illness, I was forced to quit the work force and go on disability. In researching ways to help earn a little income, I decided to turn my love of sewing into a home alteration/mending business. I quickly found that I needed a serger sewing machine. My husband decided to give me one for my birthday. He researched many different machines and found the Brother Sewing Machine - Serger- 1034D. I loved it immediately. The threading color coded system makes it easy to thread. YOu just follow the pictures! It trims the fabric very smoothly. The stitches are straight and even. The Serger came with two DVDs that give very clear directions on how to use the machine. After I watched them a couple of times, it was easy to learn how to use the various stitches. Of course, the illustrated books that came with the machine help boost my memory at times also! In summary, I would never trade my Serger for another one. This works perfectly!

Brother Sewing Machine - Serger - 1034D Serger works for me

the Brother Sewing Machine - Serger - 1034D Serger is pretty nice machine.  i bought one this summer after my old reliable sewing machine finally stopped working for me.  Not sure what wrong with it, it just stopped mid-sew for no apparent reason.  Anyway i went to my local crafts store and the lady their helped me pick this one out.  She spoke very highly of it, and said that it was their best seller.  I can see why now.  It is so easy to use and set up.  My old one used to jam up quite a bit and i would have to back out and restart, but not this one.  It works so much more smoothly compared to my older now junk machine.  I wish i had bought a new one years ago.  I used it this halloween to sew my two daughters halloween custumes together and i think it got it done faster than i ever had in the past.  So if you are looking for a new machine, the Brother Sewing Machine - Serger - 1034D Serger definitely deserves  your consideration.

Excellent low cost serger

Comments about Brother Serger:

I love this serger. I use it for seams mainly and haven't gotten into the other things it can do, but for the price it is a workhorse and extremely well made.

Stitch Performance
excellent and consistent seams.

Easy to thread, seldom breaks threads or needles.

Fabric Handling
can take just about any fabric you throw at it and the tensions are easy to adjust.

Versatility
Although I haven't tried a lot of its features, they are there for the asking.

Nice, compact, and well made.

Absolutely, no problems with this machine and it will do what you ask of it. Great Product for the money.

Brother Serger 1034D

Comments about Brother Serger:

I purchased this serger after taking an advanced sewing class at the community college in my neighborhood. I love the fact that I can now make garments and create professional looking finishes on my clothes that look very neat. When I first bought the machine a year and a half a go, I thought it would be very hard to thread because it looked so confusing. The machine was not hard at all because of the easy-to-follow instructions.

I can use this durable machine to handle small or large projects. The machine is very compact and able to fit into small spaces. It was not too expensive and the needles are easy to find if I need to replace them. I never have a problem with the machine not working as it should or the thread tension interfering with the stiches. The stitches really look great. My garments look high quality and I can now create things that I could not do before I invested in such a great machine.

• Versatility:

How did I ever live without this ?

Comments about Brother Serger:

I had been sewing for 3 years before I bought this and really thought it was just going to be a splurge and not really use it that much. Now 2 years after buying this serger,I can't believe i put off buying one for so long. It can be a booger to thread the first time or two,but after you learn to thread it,then its all great from there ! Just for the small budget and easy to learn to use !

Stitch Performance
Once you learn to thread it correctly and get your tension setup right,then it stitches nicely ! I love how my seams look after using the serger.

I took it out of the box,read the manual and the dvd was unreadable so I had to go by what the manual instructed. The manual isn't really clear on how to thread it so I went by the diagram printed inside the serger. After some frustration I eventually got it setup and running properly and after that its easy to use .

Fabric Handling
I run cotton,minky,satin,denim through it and the machine handles it all nicely. It doesn't seem real found of those thick denim seams but if you give it a bit more speed then it feeds thru correctly without breaking a needle.

Versatility
I use it to finish seams,or make visible seams pretty and run a variety of fabrics thru it.

Wish it was a little easier to thread and get correct tension right the first time around,but all in all the design is simple and easy to use.

I've had this machine a few years now,I keep it cleaned out after ea use so it will last me for many years to come.

I was a surging goddess

Comments about Brother Serger:

I've had my sewing machine for years and resisted buying a serger since I figured that I could do anything on my sewing machine. Then my dance instructor asked me if I would be willing to sew outfits for everyone in class. "Sure," I thought.

Once I started the project, I realized just how horrible it was to try to sew the requested material on a regular machine. I decided to go shopping. The Brother brand is well known to anyone who's been sewing and paying any attention to the machines on the market. It has a pretty decent reputation for putting out workhorse machines so that was the brand I checked out first.

This model was the one that I ended up with. It was a whole new world. Sure, threading the machine is a pain in the rump but once the thing is threaded, it runs like a champ. The fact that you don't have to go back and trim your seams is so very nice. I've had to replace the cutter a few times due to heavy use but you get a fair amount of use out of each blade before it gets too dull to properly cut fabric. The machine is easy to care for and tucks away nicely when not in use.

• Versatility:

This is a great little serger!

from Albuquerque, NM

Comments about Brother Serger:

I purchased this serger about 2 years ago and have been very happy with it! I was a total novice when it came to serging but without any formal classes I have been able to use this serger. The instruction manual showed me how to thread the machine which is very very easy- you just follow the colors. It is easier to thread than the new 3034D serger that Brother has made. The adjustment buttons are also very easy to see and to reach, and the cutter is easy to raise and lower. The cutter has remained very sharp since I purchased the machine even after using it with heavy fabrics. All the tools you need are in front of you in a drop down storage area. The tray that hooks under the front is a great size and easy to hook up. The only drawbacks I have with the machine are that it would have been nice if it had come with a hard carrying case (it has a back handle area but you always have to carry the foot pedal and scrap case separately, and it would be nice if the needle area was a bit bigger as it can be difficult to grab the threads from the different areas in such a small space. I have never had any problems with the stitches not looking great or had any mechanical problems with it. If you are a beginning serger or an old pro I highly recommend this serger.

Cool Machine!!

Comments about Brother Serger:

This is the best ever machine. Easy to use and does a really good job with speed.

Stitch Performance
It does everything it says it will. Easy instructions. I have not had any problems with it.

It's a breeze to use. Just follow instructions.

It is designed perfect to meet my needs of sewing.

I wish it was made a little bit more durable. None the less I have not had any problems with it.

• Versatility:

A very impressive serging macine!

Comments about Brother Serger:

This serger machine is perfect for any beginner or novice sewer who is afraid of the idea of a serger, but wants one that is very easy to use. It is a very clean and simple design., and also a surprisingly quiet model. The instructions that it comes with are very clear, concise and easy to follow ( coming from someone who hates to read instructions!) Do not let the cheaper price of this machine fool you, it really gets the job done and makes sewing jobs a real pleasure!

Threading this machine is so fast and easy to do.

Versatility
I have sewn everything on here so far from large drapes and curtains to a pair of boxers!

The design is very simple and laid out clean. I love the fact that the foot pedal is on the right too. I had never seen that before, but now that I do, it makes much more sense and is very comfortable to use that way.

As long as you keep your machine well oiled and treat it right, it should last forever!

• Versatility:

I have never had a serger before, this one was very easy to use.

Comments about Brother Serger:

Super easy to learn! I always wanted a serger but they were expencive and it was new to me so I was a little bit intimidated. This model was very easy to learn and within my budget. It was scary the first time but then it started to come naturally. I have been sewing for 25 years and it felt good to finally get a serger and overcome my fear of it.

great beginning serger

Comments about Brother Serger:

Any sewing/serger machine that is made by Brother is worth looking at. I have both the Brother Serger 1034D and the Brother PC420 sewing machine (better known as the Brother Project Runway Sewing Machine. They have both made learning to sew a breeze.
The Brother Serger 1034D has good points and bad points, but the good out weight the bad.
First the bad:
1. there is definitely a learning curve in learning to thread this thing. Not only do you have to thread it in a certain order, but the instructions are very lacking. Once I went on You Tube and watched a video, it became much easier though.
2. I hate that I have to re-thread the whole thing if only one thread snaps.
3. I have got my fabric stuck on the teeth the first week I had it and it broke something(but I was just learning how to use it)
4. changing the needles are not the easiest thing in the world to do.

good:
1. It is pretty simple to use once you get used to it.
2.you do not have to turn lots of dials, push lots of buttons to get the pressure right. It adjust itself to a point. There *are* dials if you need to change them though.
3. I only use 2 settings, but there are several to choose from
4. you can use REGULAR needles!!!!!
5. It is not picky on the thread cones that you use, quality or size.
6. it can take a beating. I use it constantly with all types of fabric, even fleece. I do not clean it or get it serviced as often as I should and it just keeps on going.

The finished product looks really nice. This may not be what you want if you are looking for a high end professional machine, but it has gotten me through learning to using for my small wahm business.

Stitch Performance
after you get used to the machine, it consistently makes good stitches

other than re-threading it, it is very easy to use.

Fabric Handling
I have used it on light cottons to fleece with no problems. It cuts through at least 3 like butter.

lots of options

small, easy to move around, does not bounce all over the table though

mine has put up with a beating

• Versatility:

Easy to use... Once you know what your doing.

from San Bernardino, CA

Comments about Brother Serger:

I inherited one of these sewing machines from my late grandmother. It was one of her favorite sewing machines, and once she fired it up she would make amazing things with it. Once she passed away it became mine. It came with all the books on how to use it, but I still could never figure it out. A serger is a heavier duty kind of sewing machine that can handle up to 4 strands of thread at once. (Or even 8 of you want to be really crafty) It is not for beginners and is not for the younger generations. If you are looking into buying your craft loving daughter/son a sewing machine, this is not the one for them. This machine sews with a vengeance. it will keep seems sewn forever. I had a problem with this particular sewing machine, it is so "mean" and heavy duty that it was actually cutting thru my material. it would sew one side and cut the other side right off. That is how fast it moves. If you do not know what you are doing, choose another machine. If you want to learn to use a serger, I do not recommend this one for first timers. It is for the more advanced sewer.

The sewing machine itself is very touch.